USB Device Unsupported

Old 02-04-2016, 09:48 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
USB Device Unsupported

Anybody have trouble getting a USB thumb drive to be recognized? I have a 2016 ILX base. I've tried different USB sticks with different formats, and they all give the message "USB Device Unsupported."

I've checked other threads on here and elsewhere that say to format in FAT32 without quick format. I've tried that and no luck. I downloaded the HP Disk Utility that seemed to work for some people but still didn't get any results.

I asked the dealer and they said there was a problem with the flash drives I was using. I've tried 2 different one and they work in every other device I've plugged them into.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Hmm, that's strange. Worked without any issues for me. Only thing that said device unsupported for me was when I directly connected my phone with USB. Flash drives never gave me an issue. I'm assuming you're putting music on it?

Have you tried NTFS by any chance. Though FAT32 should work.

I'm using this in my car and it works 100%:
Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9 16GB USB 2.0 Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9 16GB USB 2.0

It's very small so it doesn't take up much space in the arm rest compartment, it has solid metal casing too, so not easy to break. Very inexpensive too. I just have it plugged in 24/7, works great.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
I don't know if this is helpful but maybe it's similar to the system in the TL? You have to select AUX but there are 3 (?) "sub selections" under AUX. One is Bluetooth, one is hardwire, one is for the USB connection.
It took me a while to realize how it works. Play around with the settings. I actually don't think it has to do with the type of thumb drive or the type of file format.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:35 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problems with a 2013 ILX 2.4 Premium. I tried using the economy-priced USB sticks at Micro Center. Tried a 64GB USB 3.0, it wouldn't work. Then a 64GB USB 2.0. No good. Then I tried 32GB of both USB 3.0 and 2.0, still no good. Tried formatting them specially as FAT32, didn't change.

Working in the IT world I've learned that not all USB flash drives are created equally. There is no rhyme or reason to it. So I found a "real" brand (HP) 64GB USB 2.0 (I figured 2.0 might work better with this setup even though in theory a USB 3.0 device should be reverse compatible to USB 2.0... "should"...). And it works!

So if a USB flash drive doesn't work right in this car go find a different brand of USB flash drive (they all have different circuitry) and give it a try.

Search this Thread