2017 ILX Aspec condesation in headlight assembly - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

2017 ILX Aspec condesation in headlight assembly

Old 03-11-2018, 09:11 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Age: 43
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2017 ILX Aspec condesation in headlight assembly

Hi all
Last november i purchased used certified ILX Aspec in lunar silver with 14K miles on it so pleanty of acura warranty left.
Love the car but yesterday i noticed getting quite a bit condensation in one of the headlights (drivers side).
the whole side of the headlight where the LED turn signal is located gets extremwly foggy.
it eventually goes away for now but im worried it will get worse as the weather in chicago will start getting warmer.
anybody experienced similar issue and how the dealers “takes care if it” once you bring it in?

My wife drives 2016 infiniti qx50 (bought brand new) and we had same issue with one headlight after 6 months into ownig it. I caled the dealer, brought the car in and 2 hours later drove back home with brand new headlight assembly (replaced under warranty) all has been perfect since.

Thanks in advance
dronek75 is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 04:13 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 931
Thanked 63 Times in 52 Posts
There is definitely a crack somewhere. You're under warranty. Get them to replace the entire assembly.
schen72 is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 07:28 PM
  #3  
Automotive Tech
 
Pir8pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me but the pass side, I got it replaced for free under warranty.

At the time I was also trying to get the drivers replaced due to led high beam miss alignment. When they made the board and soldered the leds on the assembly line they fk up and placed them out of proper position so when i used the high beams the drivers side is aimed way up in the tress ;/ great QC
Pir8pete is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 11:12 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 931
Thanked 63 Times in 52 Posts
I just checked my high beams. These are not very good pictures as I didn't drive up against a blank wall, but this is my garage. First picture is low beams only. Second picture is high beams. It's difficult to tell, but the driver's side does not aim up really high. It seems to be on pretty much the same level as the passenger side.



Low beams


High beams
schen72 is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 11:14 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 931
Thanked 63 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by dronek75 View Post
Hi all
Last november i purchased used certified ILX Aspec in lunar silver with 14K miles on it so pleanty of acura warranty left.
Love the car but yesterday i noticed getting quite a bit condensation in one of the headlights (drivers side).
the whole side of the headlight where the LED turn signal is located gets extremwly foggy.
it eventually goes away for now but im worried it will get worse as the weather in chicago will start getting warmer.
anybody experienced similar issue and how the dealers “takes care if it” once you bring it in?

My wife drives 2016 infiniti qx50 (bought brand new) and we had same issue with one headlight after 6 months into ownig it. I caled the dealer, brought the car in and 2 hours later drove back home with brand new headlight assembly (replaced under warranty) all has been perfect since.

Thanks in advance
I would definitely take a picture of the condensation, in case it dries up by the time you have your warranty appointment. When I had the brake squeal (addressed by TSB) I recorded the sound in case they couldn't duplicate. I played it for the service advisor and he was satisfied.
schen72 is offline  
Old 03-13-2018, 01:14 AM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Age: 43
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schen72 View Post
I would definitely take a picture of the condensation, in case it dries up by the time you have your warranty appointment. When I had the brake squeal (addressed by TSB) I recorded the sound in case they couldn't duplicate. I played it for the service advisor and he was satisfied.
Yes thats a great idea. I did the same (took pics of moisture inside headlight) with wifes new infiniti when this happened. By the time i got to the dealer it was half dry already but still quite enough for them to replace entire headlight assembly under warranty.
Its not huge yet like the infiniti was but im sure it will worsen once we get more warm weather here in chicagoland.
Thank You again.
dronek75 is offline  
Old 03-13-2018, 01:24 AM
  #7  
Automotive Tech
 
Pir8pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not trying to thread jack, but since you are continuing this topic;

You need to go to a wall and be at least 8 meters away or go drive down a road with no street lights and you'll see! mine looks like yours that close too. When I first noticed this issue me and the dealer went through a few brand new ILX's on the lot and they all had the same problem. @ the time that was all 2016's and the beginning of spring of the 2017's I bet Honda has since fixed this for late 2017 and now 2018's, I haven't checked.

All the techs at the dealer here in Ottawa, Canada were shocked of the findings and said we can replace the headlight assembly sure, but it won't do any good because the new one will be the same. Heck even both of my right side headlights (org. and replacement for the condensation) where a touch off too but still reasonable, a trained eye could tell it was off. Alot of these issue's go unnoticed as the "average joe" is oblivious and ILX don't sell, so not alot on the road thus not alot of ppl to notice.

I can't wait to get rid of this car, run it in the ground doing uber at this point, car is useless and is full of bugs beginning the first year of a resign, i bought this A-spec in June 2015.

Last edited by Pir8pete; 03-13-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Pir8pete is offline  
Old 03-13-2018, 04:21 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 931
Thanked 63 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Pir8pete View Post
Not trying to thread jack, but since you are continuing this topic;

You need to go to a wall and be at least 8 meters away or go drive down a road with no street lights and you'll see! mine looks like yours that close too. When I first noticed this issue me and the dealer went through a few brand new ILX's on the lot and they all had the same problem. @ the time that was all 2016's and the beginning of spring of the 2017's I bet Honda has since fixed this for late 2017 and now 2018's, I haven't checked.

All the techs at the dealer here in Ottawa, Canada were shocked of the findings and said we can replace the headlight assembly sure, but it won't do any good because the new one will be the same. Heck even both of my right side headlights (org. and replacement for the condensation) where a touch off too but still reasonable, a trained eye could tell it was off. Alot of these issue's go unnoticed as the "average joe" is oblivious and ILX don't sell, so not alot on the road thus not alot of ppl to notice.

I can't wait to get rid of this car, run it in the ground doing uber at this point, car is useless and is full of bugs beginning the first year of a resign, i bought this A-spec in June 2015.
I'll try this out soon. I hardly ever use the high beams so maybe I just haven't noticed.

What other issues have you had? The only problem I have now is a squeaking glovebox. So far the car is exactly as I expected.
schen72 is offline  
Old 03-18-2018, 01:03 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 931
Thanked 63 Times in 52 Posts
I parked outside my garage door this time.



Low beams and foglights





High beams (no foglights)
schen72 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
dronek75
New Member Introductions
2
11-16-2017 04:09 AM
LASoCal
Second Generation RDX (2013-2018)
26
12-09-2016 05:01 AM
boorah623
Second Generation TL (1999-2003)
15
11-21-2016 02:51 PM
cruiserchuck
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
209
09-11-2016 06:28 PM
Genedog
3G TL Problems & Fixes
13
09-12-2011 09:43 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 ILX Aspec condesation in headlight assembly


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.