When did you guys get your first oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm waiting for fifteen currently at 30%
Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
How much did the dealer charge you?

Im at 7,1xx miles and 20% oil. When I hit 15% Ill change my oil.
A1- Oil & filter change using Acura oil, tires rotated, and car washed an vacuumed.

$63 and some change, tax included.

I dropped the car off, they brought me home, and picked me up later when it was done.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Hey guys, old thread, but relevant and no need to make a new one.

So - Just wanted to review a few oils Ive tried in the ILX so far. I had the dealer do a few of the original oil changes as the car was in there of things like body kit install, etc. I used discounts/promotions and politeness to keep the prices down.

Big disclaimer, off the bat. Biggest MPG difference I've noticed (that we can actually control) are personal driving preferences. Specifically, these things - shift point (2 -3k RPM gets better MPG then higher, obviously), aggressive acceleration/driving, braking, and/or economy of motion (going fast at the top of a hill, and cruising down the hill, simple stuff, not necessarily hypermiling type tactics.)

Traffic - that is out our control. Depending how it's moving, and how you drive... good or bad.

I generally change the oil at 15%, once it got to 10%.

Acura synthetic blend - Worked great, car gave that regular 30mpg average on the dot. Engine noise - not loud, not quiet. But as the oil change was coming, it was getting louder. Especially once I had to change the air filter. It sounded horrible. It started getting loud, and hit 15% like almost exact same time. Oil was barely starting to change colors. Oil got to 10%. This is a great option tho, there's a few dealers near me, especially Honda, $35- 40 bucks for the oil change. Honda genuine oil, and filter. I don't mind having "just a Civic" when it comes to cheap ass maintenance.

Acura Full synthetic. - MPG went up, at the time I first got it, I also had the cold air intake installed right before. I'd say it shot up a ton. Later, the computer adjusted. But It was still getting 32 mpg. Motor was slightly quieter, but, air intake (Injen) was making that nice audible induction sound. Oil was still golden amber when I changed it. But I think my dealer regular price wants $90 bucks.

After I got headers and exhaust, I had a lot of fun. It was also hot, summer time, bad traffic. My MPG steadily went down. I was getting like 27MPG average, even lower sometimes. This was on Acura / Honda synthetic blend. I also noticed 'performance' would definitely go down once it was close to oil change time, engine wasn't as peppy or responsive. Oil never got real dark. Maybe a dark brown, but still clear, amber.

My Honda mechanic did a full synthetic oil change, basically unknown company. Unknown what filter he used. I stupidly assumed it was Mobil One. I never asked. So, on this, my MPG went back up to around 32, driving habits and conditions were better as well. I actually hit my mt 36+MPG trip average high with this oil. BUT - with this oil, I noticed it was a little more "groggy" when i first changed it. Then it was also WAY louder, the more I used up the oil. My exhaust was SUPER loud. I actually kinda got used to it, plus it was slowly getting louder, but I was even pulled over a few times for loud exhaust. Also had more of a burnt (synthetic) oil smell, and MPG was starting to go down towards the oil change interval. Oil did get darkest, by far, of all oil used. But it was $30 bucks, and i didn't ask to many questions, just assumed. Won't be doing that again.

So now I'm currently on Castrol Edge Full Synthetic. They had/have an offer for free movie tickets (2 free if you get the Edge full synthetic). The 5 quart jug was $29 bucks out the door at Walmart, and I had a genuine Honda oil filter, think I got if for like 7 bucks a long time ago. My mechanic charged me 10 bucks. I hate dealing with used oil. Worth my $10 bucks. So far MPG has risen back up. I got 34+ MPG on a 100+ mile trip. And I was driving smart, but fun. Hit 100+ miles an hour a few times. The City MPG is WAY improved, which probably matters more. The car is quieter, BY FAR the quietest oil I've used. The exhaust note is also deeper now. Holds Lower RPM better, without starting to sputter or stagger. Engine has more pep. I might actually buy another jug already for the next oil change, and get a better filter, to see the difference. The 2 tickets are worth up to $13 each, so $26 bucks total. I love going to the movies, so this is like free/$3 dollar oil to me.

On a side note - You guys should check out Walmart and local mechanics for oil changes. You can probably get away with spending around $50 bucks with full synthetic, good filter, and a good mechanic charging you pretty cheap. Mobil One fans, they got 0w-20 Advanced Fuel Economy and Extended Performance for $26.88, $29.00 out the door at my local Wal-Mart. Will definitely try those out next.

They actually had Royal Purple on Clearance in 0w-20, not enough people were buying it, they're gonna stop carrying it near me... $30 for the 5 quart. But it was all gone when i saw it ... Check your stores man, good deal.

The Other spots that charge cheap around me are the Autozones and Oreilly's. Pep Boys around me charge more for oil and are never on sale. Oreillys a and Autozone, you'll get full synthetic and a good/great oil filter anywhere from $35- $43 bucks out the door, depending on brands. This is probably where I'll get the Castrol Edge from. about $36 bucks out the door with a filter.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 03-20-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn

And I agree this isn't rocket science. You could ask 10 different people about when to get a first oil change and get 10 different responses. Derailing the thread a bit, but over a 331.8 mile trip this weekend, I got better MPG than an ILX Hybrid out of my 6-speed. 40!

39,750 miles and counting on this old rig.

Complete trip write-up here:

http://drivetofive.wordpress.com/201...ngo-to-chinle/
Also never saw this before. WOW. What oil do you use? Highest Ive hit was 42-43 MPG rolling down a hill right after I filled up and the computer was reset. LOL but it quickly went down of course. Steady driving, I hit as high as 38-almost 39, rolling down hills, car in neutral. Same thing tho, was not trip average at all, like yours seems to be. Awesome.