Thinking about buying a ILX...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about buying a ILX...

Hello all,

I'm in the new car (sedan) market at the moment and I'm not sure what to get. I used to own a 2005 TSX and now I own a 2009 Audi TT.

The only Acura that my wife likes is the ILX, but I feel its underpowered, 150hp (esp coming from the TT).

We test drove the Accord EXL v6, ILX, TSX, Mazda 6, Lexus IS250.

We both think the IS250 is the best car but its too much money for us. I like the Accord the most but she doesn't like the exterior looks as much (too big). The Mazda 6 was really nice except it's a mazda which is a slight turn off...

That being said. Does anyone know if the 2015 ILX will receive more horsepower (like the manual!?)? It's hard for me to justify 30k on a 150hp car. Also the 2015 TL I4 looks nice and would be a good car if the price is right.

Any thoughts or info is appreciated.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't get it.

I have the 2013 and have had lots of problems. (suspensions, dash board rattles, rear camera/trunk release issue, brakes during rain)
Old 04-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
No changes for the ILX until likely next spring at the absolutely earliest, though more likely next summer. Anticipated changes are the 2.4L direct-injection 4-cylinder that is going into the TLX.

If you think the IS250 is too much money, perhaps wait and consider the upcoming TLX before deciding.

And seriously, if you like the Mazda6, but your concern is the badge, you might want to just slap yourself across the face then go and get the car. Mazdas are solid cars these days and absolutely worth the money you'll spend, especially since you won't be paying extra for the badge.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I take it you want an automatic after saying you were looking at the 150hp ilx.

I love my ilx. Takes what x95zsk said with a grain of salt. Any model can have lemon cars. There are plenty of ilx owners here that haven't seen any issues.

As for the mazda. They do make great cars but I do understand the badge comment. I too like the aura name over mazda but I won't let that influence my decision too much.

It comes down to exact preference but since you are purchasing for two that is much more difficult.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
I haven't spent a heck of a lot of time behind the wheel of the ILX 2.0, but my 2.4 has been pretty bulletproof. 33 mpg, fun to drive, easy to park, nice handling, plenty of power. It has some shortfalls, primarily in 'refinement' - road noise, engine noise, overall fit & finish - but these are more than offset by driving enjoyment. Good luck with your search and keep us posted.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the responses, I didn't think I would get much action so early .

I've heard mixed things about Mazda reliability. I'm not a name snob if it's a good name. I would never drive a Merc-benz due to reliability and high ownership costs. Acura has always been good for me in reliability (i used to own a integra GSR also).

The audi has low miles and the warranty expires and its already starting to have random issues that keep poping out making me question the longevity (or at least being expensive to maintain).

After doing some reading it looks like 2016 is the next refresh and the 2.4L update which will be very nice and is much needed but I'm not sure if I should wait till then or not. I will also consider the TLX as well (if I wait).

I need to think long and hard over the Accord and Mazda 6 as well. I really like the Accord but unfortunately my wife thinks it looks like a old mans car
Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Instructor

usdMJon - I really like the OEM bodykit. Def would be my first purchase. Did you buy it new when you got the car or later? How much?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Get either the ILX or TLX 4cyl (now I heard was due in Sept).

Do know that the ILX does sell a good amount below invoice; just go to the ILX owner sign in and look at the prices.
I got mine this past March for $3,700 below invoice.

The 2.0 is okay for day to day drives as the 2.0 engine is tuned for quick response and the 5AT is pretty close ratio from gears 1-3.
In my daily commute I get 30-32mpg mixed 50/50 city/hwy using regular 87oct gas YMMV.

OTOH if you do stomp on the pedal trying to pass or merge you immediately realize "there's nothing extra in there" other than the engine spinning to a higher rev with only a little extra punch. I own a '13 RDX and previously had a '03 V6 Accord.

If you got a bit more in your budget I'd wait for the 4cyl TLX for probably around the low $30K which was said to be faster than the current TSX 4cyl.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rabican
usdMJon - I really like the OEM bodykit. Def would be my first purchase. Did you buy it new when you got the car or later? How much?

Thanks.
I bough it later. Front lip only for $330. You can get better deals with the whole package. If I was you and you do buy an ILX tell the sales rep you'll do the deal if they mount the OEM kit because "without it it looks like a girl car compared to the Mazda I test drove."
Old 04-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Instructor

usdmJon, I actually already said something along those lines and the sales guy said they could only get me a discount of like 10% off... I mounted my TSX kit myself, I figure I can do the same for this car and save a grand .

I do think I'm going to wait on the TLX, and depending on the pricing I may wait longer for the ILX refresh or just splurg on the TLX.

I wish I knew what the pricing/options were going to look like. My wife really wants Nav so if the TLX starts at 35k + 2.5k for nav I'm looking at 37.5MRSP so maybe they will do 35k with some negotiation. Still about 5k over the ILX with similar features.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I leased my ILX in part because I thought it was a little overpriced, and also because I don't put much mileage on it (<6,000 mi. in 11 months). But the ILX was one of very few cars in my wheelhouse: semi-upscale front-wheel-drive small sedan with leather, moonroof, some lux amenities, and most importantly a manual transmission. I could deal with the lack of nav because I actually prefer to use my smartphone for that. I chose the ILX because it was the best combination of what I wanted, and I just find it aesthetically appealing, especially the cockpit (wheel, gauges, center stack, &c.).

Apart from lack of nav, which isn't a huge complaint, I only have a few complaints, mostly minor:

1. Couldn't get the color I wanted.
2. Road/tire noise at speed on rough pavement.
3. Rear seatback not split 60/40 for fold-down.
4. In-town mileage could be better, but that may be my driving habits.
5. 6th gear could be taller.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

usdmJon, I actually already said something along those lines and the sales guy said they could only get me a discount of like 10% off... I mounted my TSX kit myself, I figure I can do the same for this car and save a grand .

I do think I'm going to wait on the TLX, and depending on the pricing I may wait longer for the ILX refresh or just splurg on the TLX.

I wish I knew what the pricing/options were going to look like. My wife really wants Nav so if the TLX starts at 35k + 2.5k for nav I'm looking at 37.5MRSP so maybe they will do 35k with some negotiation. Still about 5k over the ILX with similar features.
If you can wait I most definitely would.

The only thing I regret right now is not being ABLE to wait until the ILX revamp. Id stay Auto with a lower liter set up for sure but word of an AWD ILX is so damn tempting.
Only reason I didnt wait was 1. My cars was almost up on the tranny rebuild warranty and I knew I could get much more while that was under warranty, 2. Motor mounts had just went, 3. Had no idea there would be an AWD ILX.

But an AWD ILX with the same engine the TLX has or anything larger WILL put it in the price range of the A3 and CLA... which is like 5-10 grand more depending on trim level.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hello all,

I'm in the new car (sedan) market at the moment and I'm not sure what to get. I used to own a 2005 TSX and now I own a 2009 Audi TT.

The only Acura that my wife likes is the ILX, but I feel its underpowered, 150hp (esp coming from the TT).

We both think the IS250 is the best car but its too much money for us. I like the Accord the most but she doesn't like the exterior looks as much (too big). The Mazda 6 was really nice except it's a mazda which is a slight turn off...

That being said. Does anyone know if the 2015 ILX will receive more horsepower (like the manual!?)? It's hard for me to justify 30k on a 150hp car. Also the 2015 TL I4 looks nice and would be a good car if the price is right.

I personally know where you are coming from. I was actually stuck between those choices as well. As far as Mazda's go, my brother has been driving his Speed3 since 2010 and he loves it, I haven't heard any complaints. The IS250 was a bit small for my taste, (I'm 6'0 180 lbs) My hair would constantly scrape the ceiling. The TSX is being discontinued. I was stuck between the Accord v6 coupe and ILX. I chose the ILX because I enjoy the badge a lot, and I thought the car had a lot more potential even at 150 hp. As for the TLX, I was at the dealer last week and they said they should have TLX's by the end of May most likely. He wasn't 100% sure though, but they said that customers get first dibs on the TLX, then the workers can purchase them later.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Instructor

I heard the TLX was delayed until Oct..
Old 04-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I heard the TLX was delayed until Oct..
"Late summer," according to Acura. Still, not a very encouraging piece of news... especially on top of the spokesperson's acknowledgment there are "lots of systems to get sorted out."

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/22/2...aunch-delayed/
Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

Hello all,

Have you taken a look at the mazda 3 sedan? It seems to be the same size as the ilx.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced

Lost of systems to bet sorted out = problem car for the first 2 years and will only get fixed during the mid cycle refresh.

Originally Posted by Flightwriter
"Late summer," according to Acura. Still, not a very encouraging piece of news... especially on top of the spokesperson's acknowledgment there are "lots of systems to get sorted out."

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/22/2...aunch-delayed/
Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Instructor

It could mean as a article noted, with all the recent recalls they want to make sure everything is perfect before releasing the TL. I guess it's better they sort it out now versus releasing a lemon.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2013 2.4 that I bought new. After 22,600, its still rock solid. I also installed Dynamat Extreme in the doors and in the trunk (thanks to some good pictures and instructions form this forum) which reduced noise significantly. I'm going to install it under the carpets, front wheel wells, and foot wells next.

Unless Acura makes some changes, the 2.4L with automatic may not be available in the 2015 ILX because it doesn't physically fit in the car. That's supposed to be the reason it wasn't offered originally.

I would have loved to have the Tech Package, but with iPhone nav (using MotionX navigation) and iPhone media, I'm good. This is a great car. There is no comparison between the stick/clutch combination in this car and my wife's six-speed 225 HP TT. The Acura is in a league of its own. Also, the stick in my 2010 Mazdaspeed, while better than the TT, is still not nearly as good as the ILX, IMHO.

Good Luck!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Instructor

I can image mill, I used to love the stick in my TSX. Acura makes a nice manual tranny.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn
I haven't spent a heck of a lot of time behind the wheel of the ILX 2.0, but my 2.4 has been pretty bulletproof. 33 mpg, fun to drive, easy to park, nice handling, plenty of power. It has some shortfalls, primarily in 'refinement' - road noise, engine noise, overall fit & finish - but these are more than offset by driving enjoyment. Good luck with your search and keep us posted.
You talk like those shortfalls are not important. They directly impact drive enjoyment. There are other choices in this class that would be better.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EricInMaryland
You talk like those shortfalls are not important. They directly impact drive enjoyment. There are other choices in this class that would be better.
Just keep in mind that in this class most other cars, e.i. the a3, cla, 2 series, are significantly more expensive in that they start just higher than the 2.0tech ilx and much higher than what the 2.4 ilx are going for.

Coming from a sporty and older integra, the shortfalls mentioned aren't even shortfalls. They are all still improvements over many cars on the road today.
In comparison to what I drove before and many of my friends cars, ages 24-30 me being 26, the ilx is just as quick if not quicker, much quieter road noise and engine wise, and when it comes to the overall finish I have to say I love how these cars look. They are sexy as fuck. I love pulling into China Town with some friends, maybe 3 cars in all, and everyone asks ME if this parking lot is good enough. haha I can get used to that. Even my 3g TL buddies that have been in my car wish their was looked at least as up to date as mine does.

Last edited by usdmJON; 04-29-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Just keep in mind that in this class most other cars, e.i. the a3, cla, 2 series, are significantly more expensive in that they start just higher than the 2.0tech ilx and much higher than what the 2.4 ilx are going for.

Coming from a sporty and older integra, the shortfalls mentioned aren't even shortfalls. They are all still improvements over many cars on the road today.
In comparison to what I drove before and many of my friends cars, ages 24-30 me being 26, the ilx is just as quick if not quicker, much quieter road noise and engine wise, and when it comes to the overall finish I have to say I love how these cars look. They are sexy as fuck. I love pulling into China Town with some friends, maybe 3 cars in all, and everyone asks ME if this parking lot is good enough. haha I can get used to that. Even my 3g TL buddies that have been in my car wish their was looked at least as up to date as mine does.

What Jon said. Furthermore, not only are the A3, CLA, 2 series cars more expensive, but they do not hold as high of a trade-in value (hybrid excluded). The ILX 5-year cost-to-own remains one of the lowest while offering good value. Hard to beat that.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
When I got my windows tinted, there was a really nice RLX getting his windows done too. I'm not shitting you, people thought it was the same car. I had to tell them "no, look at it" (they were looking at the ass end of it). Then they were like "oh so its just like a smaller version?" I was like WTF? The owner of the RLX kept staring at my car too (older asian man). But yeah this car is very handsome, it gets compared to higher end cars that cost way more. This really is a great car, especially for a young guy trying to step up his game and project a certain image (yes I know thats pretty shallow).
Old 04-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Also the road noise/engine noise issue can be easily solved by getting some sound dampening materials if its that big of an issue for the individual. I think thats a pretty minuscule reason not to like this car. If thats your biggest gripe, then the ILX is looking pretty damn good, right guys? I noticed that depending on mods (especially wheels) you can "mimic" higher end car looks (as tacky as that MIGHT sound). I forgot the OP's user name, but someone had an ILX with white (I believe) Work wheels. He got several comments saying it looked like a BMW. I could definitely see that. Then Pockets just got staggered Vossens, and I think they make the car look similar to a RWD Lexus IS350. Then (i think) appmastertech(?) got Vossens too, OEM bodykit, and drop, and the car looks just very elegant and sporty.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced

i would definitely would not drop the car any lower. the car is low enough and any lower and if you hit any pot holes or any speed bumps....
Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh you.
Low is a way of life.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced

if you are in the southern states where there is very little or no snow sure.

but if you drive where there are chucks of ice, hell no.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Instructor

I just hope the ILX gets an emergency refresh this year so I can have the choice between the TLX and new ILX.

I doubt it, but it would be nice. Article online say acura is hinting at an emergency refresh (dated 2012) so maybe 2015 is the year...
Old 04-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced

I think the looks and the interior feel of the car is good - so no need of refresh there. they just need to do a proper job in quality in the car. so i am not sure if a refresh can fix that!

a few other goodies would be nice, like power passenger seat, head lamp washer, heated steering/windshield, quieter car.

I just hope the ILX gets an emergency refresh this year so I can have the choice between the TLX and new ILX.

I doubt it, but it would be nice. Article online say acura is hinting at an emergency refresh (dated 2012) so maybe 2015 is the year...
Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I dont understand why you would even compare the two. This really makes no sense.

The ILX is a 27thousand dollar car. The RLX is a 49thousand dollar car. The TLX will probably be in the middle at 38thousand. None of these cars are comparable, they each take a step up or down in quality, look, prestige, finish, performance, etc.

If you can afford the TLX then buy it. If you can't, then buy the ILX. I dont see any further discussion being made... unless you simply want a smaller car then you are stuck with the cheaper car.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Jon, The ILX with tech package is about 30k. The TLX MAY come in at 36K. I can afford both but if the ILX will suffice (which I think it will with a refresh) then I would rather save the cash.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

There is still an entire level difference between the two cars. This is coming from an ILX owner, if you can afford more, you wont be satisfied.

The best ILX is 30grand... the worst TLX may be 36 but it will be more like 38 out the door and that is still the WORST TLX compared to the BEST ILX.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
I have the 2.0 ILX Tech and can get 38 + MPG at a steady 65 mph cruise. After 14 k miles, we like the car, (not love) but hate the NAVI interface! It is almost worthless since the interface is so screwed. (No Touch screen, just a dorky joystick) Trying to use voice to program a destination results in a minutes long conversation with no guarantee of success! The 8 inch Navi display is low res with no bird's eye view. We also have the issue with clunking rear shocks and a clacking noise when the brakes are released @ a stop sign. Getting the shocks done soon. We won't get another ILX. Hoping the TLX addresses these issues
Old 04-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by usdmJON
There is still an entire level difference between the two cars. This is coming from an ILX owner, if you can afford more, you wont be satisfied.

The best ILX is 30grand... the worst TLX may be 36 but it will be more like 38 out the door and that is still the WORST TLX compared to the BEST ILX.

You may be right but my question is will the worst TLX be worth 6k over the best ILX? We will soon see.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by robtroxel
After 14 k miles, we like the car, (not love) but hate the NAVI interface! It is almost worthless since the interface is so screwed. (No Touch screen, just a dorky joystick) Trying to use voice to program a destination results in a minutes long conversation with no guarantee of success! The 8 inch Navi display is low res with no bird's eye view.
I love my ILX, but would like to echo your comments regarding the nav system. Rotating the joystick controller to enter names and numbers is the very definition of "tedious," and half the time the system still wants to route me to a destination several states away even after going through the effort. Adding further insult to injury, the voice recognition is too slipshod to depend on for entering destinations by that method.

The basic SYNC system in my 2012 Escape was far more advanced and capable on both fronts, and that is truly sad.
The following users liked this post:
robtroxel (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have recently acquired the Acura 2014 ILX 2.0 Premium and I find as long as I drive it sport mode it is a fun car to drive and the power issue seems to lessen. A little more umph would be nice but that can get you into trouble. My wife drives in DRIVE I drive in Sport (manual mode more often than not) and I really like this car! No issues with the 2014 so far!
The following users liked this post:
VckPtl (05-01-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
bdgold - I am the same way. I will be giving my ILX to my girlfriend at the end of May to drive and we are trading her Legacy in for an WRX STI that i will be driving more often then not.

The car is fun, but until a reasonable source for tuning is available for the 2.0L I don't think it will be sufficient for my liking.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Switt23
bdgold - I am the same way. I will be giving my ILX to my girlfriend at the end of May to drive and we are trading her Legacy in for an WRX STI that i will be driving more often then not.

The car is fun, but until a reasonable source for tuning is available for the 2.0L I don't think it will be sufficient for my liking.
There are tuning options available.
I have two routes.
Either involve using AEM has my tuning solution. THey have some good stand alone units that should work great for our cars.

Then we have the Jackson Racing Supercharger for the R18.
Track version does something like 250hp while the carb legal version does 207... on an engine .2L smaller than ours.

Then you have the Turbonetics Turbo that has impressive numbers on the R18 as well. I don't know those off the top of my head but it will make my car a lot more fun.

The STI would be a great car though, dont get me wrong. I just rather have more creature comforts.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Have you ever used a stand alone tuner before?

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a ILX...