Rock chips fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rock chips fix?

Hey everyone, In California the roads are horrible and as I was driving today, a crap ton of little dam rocks were flying at my car... When I got to my destination and examined my hood it left some chips on my hood, grille, and bumper...

Does anyone have any experience with fixing these chips because it just breaks my heart seeing these chips on my relatively new car... What should I do?

It's not a scratch either.. It took a chunk out of the paint I think.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:15 PM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

I feel your pain, today during a car wash I discovered this ugly scratch on my rim. This shit hurt my feelings.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Rae Ray

Anyone know about how much Acura will charge me to fix this scratch?
Old 01-02-2016, 08:08 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Rae Rad
Ask in your local forums for a good detailer. Dealers are notoriously bad for fixing this kind of stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Rae Rad (01-02-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A good detailer can fix them, but you can also do it yourself. You should have gotten a small bottle of factory touch up paint from the dealer when you bought your car...if not, go to the parts department with your VIN and ask for a bottle of touchup paint. Make sure the car is clean, shake the bottle well, then lightly dab paint on the nick with the brush that's included in the bottle. Better to dab it lightly a couple of times than to put a big blob on it at once. You WILL be able to see it, but it won't be as noticeable as the nick is. Do not wax over those spots you touch up. After a month or so, take a good quality polishing compound and gently rub the spots you have touched up, to help blend it a little better into the existing paint. That's pretty much what a detailer is going to do, and it will cost you a lot less to do it yourself.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Rae Rad

A detailer may be able to fix it, but you'd be better off checking your local Yellow Pages or checking with your local Parts Store for a wheel refinisher in your area. Costs to refinish a wheel usually run about $100, but you'll never be able to tell that anything ever happened to it. I had a set of Bullett wheels for a Mustang I had...bought them used, all of the clear coat had peeled off, and the bright aluminum finish on the wheels lips had corroded. I took them to a wheel refinisher, and when they came back, they looked like brand new.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Rae Ray

Originally Posted by litespd
A detailer may be able to fix it, but you'd be better off checking your local Yellow Pages or checking with your local Parts Store for a wheel refinisher in your area. Costs to refinish a wheel usually run about $100, but you'll never be able to tell that anything ever happened to it. I had a set of Bullett wheels for a Mustang I had...bought them used, all of the clear coat had peeled off, and the bright aluminum finish on the wheels lips had corroded. I took them to a wheel refinisher, and when they came back, they looked like brand new.
Thanks, i am actually debating on fixing it myself. After watching this YouTube video, its seems achievable. Would have to purchase the tools necessary , which can be a good investment due to new york notoriously know for shity road conditions, i should be expecting more sratches/chips to the rim and fixing it myself would be smart. Worse casinerio if i mess it up.... Just gonna have to buy and new wheel. And if so i just use the scratched wheel as my spare tire. But than again im still debating...

Old 01-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
That scratch is going to be very very difficult to fix. I would not attempt that myself.

The scratch butts up right against the black paint on the wheel so you would be very close to messing that up and having to repaint it. Also those wheels have a gloss coat meaning you would have to fix that layer as well regardless since it covers the entire wheel.

As another user said, a dealership would do more harm than good trying to "fix" it.

Really fixing that would require bead/soda blasting to remove all paint/gloss. Then they would have to repaint the black then re gloss the entire wheel.

Your best bet is probably trying to forget it is there. Doesnt seem too bad.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:02 PM
Rae Ray

Originally Posted by usdmJON
That scratch is going to be very very difficult to fix. I would not attempt that myself.

The scratch butts up right against the black paint on the wheel so you would be very close to messing that up and having to repaint it. Also those wheels have a gloss coat meaning you would have to fix that layer as well regardless since it covers the entire wheel.

As another user said, a dealership would do more harm than good trying to "fix" it.

Really fixing that would require bead/soda blasting to remove all paint/gloss. Then they would have to repaint the black then re gloss the entire wheel.

Your best bet is probably trying to forget it is there. Doesnt seem too bad.
I was thinking the exact same. The black on the wheel will make it difficult, I am not gonna even try. But the scratch looks worse in person. It is deep into the finish and stands out especially when the wheel is clean. Im just gonna tap it with clear cloat touch paint just so it doesnt continue to spread and call it a day. If it continues to bothering me down the road ill take it to a detialer and see what they say. Just unfortunate the car is only 7 months old. I was hit by a fly rock on my way to work, it hit my car so hard i heard it with the radio at level 30. Smh It sounded like the rock hit under the car at first but 2 days later after a car wash i found this.

Last edited by Rae Rad; 01-05-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Rae Ray

Beware of fly rocks
Old 01-06-2016, 10:38 AM
10th Gear

I've had the same issue of paint chips on my hood (expected) and doors or my car. I expect to see chips on my hood but the door chips baffle me. I've touched up with paint and plan on getting a detail to help buff out this spots.

I called my local Acura dealer and was informed they don't do touch up work of this kind.