Resetting ESU & Oil Change Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Resetting ESU & Oil Change Questions...

So it's been a while since I've posted on here... basically after 7 months of ownership, I'm kind of over my 2016 ILX. It's still a nice car, but I don't love it as much as I did when I first got it. I hate the DSG transmission unless it's in sport mode. The thing up and downshifts way too much and sometimes it gets all jerky feeling because of this. Also I noticed that whenever it upshifts, the RPMs will drop like normal but then bounce back up. It's very strange. So I'm wondering if resetting the ECU should resolve this little quirk? Also is the easiest way to do this just to disconnect the batter? I'd rather not take the car to the dealer because frankly I hate my dealer's service department.

Now onto the oil change... I haven't been driving my car much because I've been using my wife's Murano with the crappy weather and I also tow my snowmobile with it so.. I only have 4,800mi. on my ILX and I'm ready to change the oil. I haven't looked underneath this car yet so I was just curious if there's some type of skidplate on it like on the TSX? I hated changing the oil on my TSX because of that stupid skid plate. Just want to know what to expect before I take everything out of my garage and pull the ILX in it. I was tempted to just take it to the dealership for an oil change and tire rotation, but--- 1, like I said I hate my dealerships service center and 2, according to their website I'm looking at $100 for the two things to be done and that's pretty ridiculous! So I guess I'll be doing everything on my own again.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
"you're ready to change the oil"

has the MID indicated it's time to change? why are you changing it prematurely if it hasn't told you it's time to change.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thoiboi
"you're ready to change the oil"

has the MID indicated it's time to change? why are you changing it prematurely if it hasn't told you it's time to change.
For several reasons...

1 - My gas mileage is god awful right now. I'm averaging 20-23mpg.

2 - For piece of mind, I don't like going over 5,000mi. without changing the oil. That's just how I am. Everyone else can do what they want, but me changing my oil every 5,000mi. isn't going to hurt anything, it's only going to help the performance of the car.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Resetting "ESU"?! No idea how that happened... hahaha. ECU***
Old 03-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Waldo87
For several reasons...

2 - For piece of mind, I don't like going over 5,000mi. without changing the oil. That's just how I am. Everyone else can do what they want, but me changing my oil every 5,000mi. isn't going to hurt anything, except my wallet.

1.So you thinking changing the oil will increase your gas mileage? is there evidence to back this?

2. Obviously it's your car and you can do what you want but i fixed it for you
Old 03-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Advanced

Man... this forum has changed a little since I was last on it. Last time people were friendly and helpful, this time around I get people sending me PM's calling me a "puss" and get criticized because I want to change my oil and this will apparently do nothing but "hurt my wallet". I wasn't aware that having fresh oil in a vehicle wouldn't help its performance. My mistake... carry on and ignore my thread .
Old 03-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Performance =/= gas mileage. You said "i'm going to change my oil, my gas mileage sucks"
I asked you where/how did you get to that conclusion..

Apparently you don't taking 'criticism' very well. have fun with your new car.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
For several reasons...

2 - For piece of mind, I don't like going over 5,000mi. without changing the oil. That's just how I am. Everyone else can do what they want, but me changing my oil every 5,000mi. isn't going to hurt anything, it's only going to help the performance of the car.
YOU'RE HURTING THE PLANET, YOU MURDERER!!!!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Man... this forum has changed a little since I was last on it. Last time people were friendly and helpful, this time around I get people sending me PM's calling me a "puss" and get criticized because I want to change my oil and this will apparently do nothing but "hurt my wallet". I wasn't aware that having fresh oil in a vehicle wouldn't help its performance. My mistake... carry on and ignore my thread .
Dude... it's the internet. Everyone acts like a tough guy behind their computer screen. Don't take it personally. Seriously. Not worth it.

Second, changing oil will not help performance or help fuel economy, unless you had molasses in your engine before. Fuel economy may increase if you change the weight of the oil you are using, to a less viscous oil. I wouldn't recommend it though. I thought Acuras these days were running on some pretty thin oil already.

Maybe you can see the error in your logic- you complain your car burns a lot of fuel (fair enough), but you also say you drive it in Sport mode. That right there is likely why your fuel economy isn't the greatest. Oil has nothing to do with it, unless, again, it is waaaaaaaay past its change interval.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Well the question here is where he drives and what speeds. Also, the RPM going down and up thing that he's talking about, I notice that on mine if I drive around 45 miles an hour. Sometimes it jumps into 8th gear, and then back to 7th gear, even if I keep pressing on the gas pedal the same way. Could depend on the road condition, elevation change, etc. But if you are at a speed, such as 55 and up, it should constantly stay in 8th gear, unless of course you're in Sports mode, then you will rev up to 2.5-3K RPM instantly and it will hurt your fuel economy.

On average if I drive in city, I get around 20-25mpg. That's my average to and from work. If I drive on freeway for 5-10 miles and also did city, I am around 28-30MPG. If I do 20+ miles freeway plus 5 miles city I am around 35+ MPG. If I just do highway straight, I can go up to 40-45mpg easily at around 70-75MPH speeds. This is on oil that is at 20% right now according to the computer.

Oh to add to it, if I'm in sports mode and drive to and from work, I get under 20mpg. And if I drive like an ass I can be in the low 10s.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
It's well accepted to just follow the MID. If it's been more than a year without new oil, the manual states you can change it. But I just follow the MID which ends up requesting an oil change around 6000-7500 miles, depending on your driving style. I just got my '16 ILX last weekend and I'm still getting used to the transmission. With so many gears, it definitely shifts a lot, but this is also how other cars feel, such as BMW with their gearboxes.