my 2013 ILX update.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014 | 08:39 AM
Advanced

my 2013 ILX update.

so an update on the ILX since I bought it. It has been 5 months since I have been driving it, racking up close to 10,000km.
The car has been so-so, a bit of a disappointment actually.

Suspension. clunk, clunk, clunk. wow. I have to do warranty work here
Creaking - my whole entire dashboard would creak and make rubbing noises when there are temperature swing. never had this done in other cars!
maintenance - non yet, my first one should be at 15,000km (which would be around end or march/april) when i do my winter tire swap.
Looks of the car, it is nice to have a different looking car, there are not a lot of ILXs in my area, i think there is 2 other, one white and one black and that's about it.

what i like:
  • paddle shifters - when on the highway and just gear down on it.
  • milage - nice on the highway. I drive about 80% on highway. although this winter it has been a crappy milage.
  • iphone interface. this is nice - charges the phone too.
  • FWD traction control is really fast, keeps me straight

Trouble areas (my car)
  • suspension (see above)
  • auto dimming mirror (does not work with tinted glass??? confirmed with another ILX with tinted glass)
  • creaking on the dash.

What I really wish this car had:
  • Headlight washers
  • Reverse sensor (not aftermarket)
  • Homelink
  • better camera -POS at night
  • Compass in the rear view mirror - especially with a "luxury" car
  • Heated steering wheel/windshield glass
  • the 2.4L engine with auto (my wife drives the car also, so NO manual)
The following users liked this post:
4cruizn (02-28-2014)
Old 02-19-2014 | 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry to hear you arent enjoying this.

My auto dimming mirror works just fine with all windows minus the windshield tinted so I dont know what to tell you there. You're issues seem to be pretty isolated... sometimes to a few cars but still less than a handful.

Do you have plans on changing cars?
Old 02-19-2014 | 12:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Sorry to hear you arent enjoying this.

My auto dimming mirror works just fine with all windows minus the windshield tinted so I dont know what to tell you there. You're issues seem to be pretty isolated... sometimes to a few cars but still less than a handful.

Do you have plans on changing cars?
no. it does not makes any financial sense to change cars.

I will probably keep it for 4-5 years or when my dad can't drive (he's 81) I will get my volvo wagon back.
Old 02-28-2014 | 02:19 PM
Advanced

I am at the dealership now.

Struts failed on the rear right.
Creaking on the dashboard, they don't have a clue, they hear it and might want to rip the dash apart. not sure if that is wise.
Auto dimming mirror - the tint got the blame.
Blower motor failed - squeaking when it is one (on auto climate).

here is the worse part: dealer charged me for using courtesy car! they charge me $1.50 for every 10km for fuel charge! premium fuel is $1.50 here and they said the ILX users 1L for every 10km which is much worse than what I typically get (i get 7L/100km on highway which is where I drive).
they wanted to also charge me 20c/km in excess of 150km. I drive 200km back and forth. but they said they will waive it since it is my regular commute.

I am waiting to see how much they will charge acura. I have little faith they will fix the creaking on the dash as the shop foreman said to me he does not have a clue where it is coming from.
Old 02-28-2014 | 02:34 PM

glad dealers in the states dont do that.
sorry my man!

Last edited by justnspace; 02-28-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2014 | 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

All I know is the claim on the TINT is bullshit.

I have 5 windows tinted all at 15%. My auto dimmer works great still.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014 | 02:53 PM

my auto dimming mirror also works with my tint.
(I have a 2006 TL, tho)
Old 02-28-2014 | 03:53 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

35% tint on my rear windshield and my mirror dims at night. (2011 TSX)
Old 02-28-2014 | 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the detailed feedback, good to know. My mirror dims fine w/ tinted windows. Agreed on the crappy rearview cam quality @ night. Never had creaks or suspension noises.

2.4L with 68,600 miles here.
Old 02-28-2014 | 11:46 PM
Advanced

I'm tinted also and I have no issues with the auto dimming either
Old 03-01-2014 | 12:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

hey bro bad news for you - you got BAD QUALITY TINT! IF you purchase cheap film it WILL interfere with onboard electronic functions. Not trying to come off as a snob, but I have 3M tint on all windows and I have no issues with this. I don't use the auto dimming, but it does work. I use a Broadway mirror. But, thats why the tint prices can vary so much. The 3M has lifetime warranty, you register online, and you can replace it at ANY authorized installer. Its guaranteed not to purple and bubble. You get what you pay for man… Thers other really good brands as well , and they will ALL specify that they are free of cheap materials that bubble, purple or interfere with electronics, and probably have a similar warranty as well - Solar is one I'd recommend. I just went with 3M because of the online registration of the warranty. Sorry but you got screwed bro. Would complain if I was you, at least on yelp or something.
Old 03-01-2014 | 08:09 AM

^I agree with your statement for the most part.

butt, dyed tint and ceramic tint will not interfere with anything electronic.
you insinuated that he has cheap tint. dyed tint is the cheapest tint available, which will not interfere with anything electronic.
Old 03-01-2014 | 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah but cheap dyed tint will also provide no UV protection, and no heat resistance. I know I can feel the difference in heat in my car. The dash use to get SUPER hot, even with the air on, I was sweating balls! My car is also black on black, but still. I got my tint to block out the longterm sun damage of the California sun. Both to my self, and to the interior of the car. Sorry, but cheaping out on an entry luxury and newer car?! Cmon man- what are you doing?! Plus that cheap dyed stuff makes your entire car look BAD when it goes purple and starts bubbling… and then you gotta either remove it, or pay someone to do it… and it will most likely damage the defrosters… been there done that, Risk it on a bucket maybe, but like I said, you get what you pay for, and if you payed for a newer, nicer car - don't be cheap or stupid.
Old 03-03-2014 | 08:34 AM
Advanced

Sorry - no, I don't have cheap tint.

My tint is the same one that is installed on other cars that our "family" (parents etc) have. This includes lexus, volvo, mercedes. All the autodimming mirrors works with the same tint.

Regarding heat and UV, yes, i do notice the difference in heat. When i got it installed it was late fall, and I do notice the difference in the acura, along with our other cars. for the windshield, i just put a remove able reflector so keep the car cooler.

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
hey bro bad news for you - you got BAD QUALITY TINT! IF you purchase cheap film it WILL interfere with onboard electronic functions. Not trying to come off as a snob, but I have 3M tint on all windows and I have no issues with this. I don't use the auto dimming, but it does work. I use a Broadway mirror. But, thats why the tint prices can vary so much. The 3M has lifetime warranty, you register online, and you can replace it at ANY authorized installer. Its guaranteed not to purple and bubble. You get what you pay for man… Thers other really good brands as well , and they will ALL specify that they are free of cheap materials that bubble, purple or interfere with electronics, and probably have a similar warranty as well - Solar is one I'd recommend. I just went with 3M because of the online registration of the warranty. Sorry but you got screwed bro. Would complain if I was you, at least on yelp or something.