Kinda disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
They want to build an entry-level luxury model, and you don't do that by starting with a civic base or at least by touting it as a dressed-up civic.
That's just the thing. Acura has never touted the car as a dressed up Civic. It's everyone else that does that while ignoring that an A3 is a dressed up Golf/Jetta, an ES330 is a Camry, and RX330 is a Highlander etc. I'll add that if they're not ignoring it, they certainly don't seem to make as big a deal of it.

rxj27, I don't think that it was the plan for that comparison to be made to such a large degree. IMO, if the ILX had hit the market first, it might have changed the perception a bit.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
That's just the thing. Acura has never touted the car as a dressed up Civic. It's everyone else that does that while ignoring that an A3 is a dressed up Golf/Jetta, an ES330 is a Camry, and RX330 is a Highlander etc. I'll add that if they're not ignoring it, they certainly don't seem to make as big a deal of it.

rxj27, I don't think that it was the plan for that comparison to be made to such a large degree. IMO, if the ILX had hit the market first, it might have changed the perception a bit.
I think, also, the civic is somewhat ubiquitous as a "cheap, reliable commuter car" much more so than any of the other shared platform cars. If Infiniti released a compact luxury car loosely based on the Sentra, they'd hear about it, too, much moreso than if they based it on the Altima (which, for all I know, they've already done). Now, that does not mean they'd deserve derision; any car should be judged on its own merits. It just means they'd hear it.

The ILX is a great car on its own right. Just because the designers started with the extremely successful Civic on the blackboard before erasing this and changing that doesn't make it any less of a luxury car. And yes, I agree, every time I hear about the Civic in an ILX review I wonder if people over in Audi-A3-land are always being made fun of for their $35k Golfs (The A3, btw, on appearances seems to be literally a rebadged Golf with leather; at least one has to be told the ILX was modified from a Civic to start).

Last edited by rocket354; 10-16-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by dgoff07
I really think you are missing the point of the ILX... If you are worried about outrunning other cars the you are not the target demographic for the ILX.
You were right, took one out for a spin and wasn't impressed. Ended up with a 2012 TL which feels like an absolute beast compared to the ILX.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
You were right, took one out for a spin and wasn't impressed. Ended up with a 2012 TL which feels like an absolute beast compared to the ILX.
So what's your point? You weren't even looking for an ILX, you were looking for a TSX V6. You got a TL, congrats, now let us enjoy our rides as your two bits isn't worth two cents to me.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by terdonal
So what's your point? You weren't even looking for an ILX, you were looking for a TSX V6. You got a TL, congrats, now let us enjoy our rides as your two bits isn't worth two cents to me.
You're pretty fiesty for a 66 year old. But you clearly have the time of one considering you would've had to review my previous posts to even know I looked at a V6 TSX. (you're probably a 18 y/o though)

How is me sharing my opinion on a car not letting you enjoy your "ride". I'm entitled to an opinion just as much as you are. My point is I took one for a test drive and wasn't impressed, just as I suspected I wouldn't be. I couldn't careless if you like the car or not, I wasn't directing my post at you. This discussion is in a thread called "kinda disappointed" under the ILX discussion forum, I can't think of a better place to share my opinion on not enjoying the car.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wreak
You're pretty fiesty for a 66 year old. But you clearly have the time of one considering you would've had to review my previous posts to even know I looked at a V6 TSX. (you're probably a 18 y/o though)

How is me sharing my opinion on a car not letting you enjoy your "ride". I'm entitled to an opinion just as much as you are. My point is I took one for a test drive and wasn't impressed, just as I suspected I wouldn't be. I couldn't careless if you like the car or not, I wasn't directing my post at you. This discussion is in a thread called "kinda disappointed" under the ILX discussion forum, I can't think of a better place to share my opinion on not enjoying the car.
Yeah, I joined this site when I was 9 yrs old. You shared your opinion and I said it was worth nothing to me just as mine is to you. I read your post about your flaw in your paint on your TL and even put a post in that thread if you looked.

I have had 12 Acura's so I am quite familiar with their history, their good points and bad points and I am just as entitled to comment on your post as you are on mine thank you very much.

Last edited by terdonal; 10-18-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
I had some time also this morning, so I'll take the liberty of responding for Terry (my opinion not his)...

The way that you posted: short, callous, and almost completely devoid of useful information, really rubs us owners the wrong way. Why go to the trouble of bashing the car and not give any details (was it underpowered, small, noisy)...

Therefore, I'll extrapolate for you based on your post. I (wreak) went to the Acura car dealer needing a masculine car (don't take any offense please, its 2012 and there is nothing wrong with admitting to it). I told the salesman I wanted a TSX V6. The salesman directed me towards the ILX 6MT. I was slightly insulted but am of an open nature, so I consented. Not having done any research, I even obliged him to drive the 6MT. After the test drive we laughed about it being a puny 4 cylinder, but secretly I thought that it was a nice car. Only worried about how it would look on this real man...Ended up being talked into the TL. Spent way too much money but hey its all about how your feel, right (two finger points to self in the dealer bathroom mirror after nearing pissing my pants upon seeing the monthly payments)? So today while admiring my new TL, I decided to troll on the ILX forums. Just to brag about how much bigger mine is, haha...four cylinders!

Dude, keep it in your pants, stop trollin' and get real. Your free to be a jackass all you want but don't be offended when someone calls you out on it.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Judging by the reactions of you guys I'm going to guess that you've become accustomed to hearing people say they're dissapointed with the ILX. I didn't say your beloved car was a POS but it certainly wasn't for me.

Obviously neither of you like me so consider it a win for yourselves that I won't be in your forum, but judging from the lack of growth of this forum I'm not sure you'll have much more company.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

PS I love how you guys jump down my throat for saying the TL feels like a beast compared to the ILX (which is completely true) when you have threads like this one...

https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/acura-ilx-871540/
Old 10-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
I love reading how people didn't like a car after test driving it without any real facts to back up what was wrong... I can guarantee that being underwhelmed by a car is only due to the fact that someone doesn't understand what car should be compared to another. The chassis design of a modestly designed acura or honda is usually phenomenal giving you a responsive aggressive package that needs the right buttons pushed to really show itself off... Lets not forget that the Integra once sold for the same price and is still a force to be reckoned with. Granted the ILX is not aimed at that market but the fact is that as an entry level car, whether some consider it a dressed up honda or not, it is awesome for someone who wants a well balanced classy looking car that get the job done in comfort and looks good... I say the more people investing in the dream, the better it gets. Lets not argue over your dream being better than mine...
Old 10-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
I'm going to side with wreak on this one...don't think we needed to come on so strongly.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Racer

Sorry about the rant, under a lot of stress trying to finish up my thesis...Fair criticism is one thing, and we all know about the ILX's perceived lack of power, small size, and expense. But to come on a thread without anything constructive to solely bash this car is just insulting, to this car, to this website, to the poster, to me for ranting about it...

But its especially troubling when other Acura "enthusiasts" refuse to think with an open mind. Why not just welcome us into the community instead of belittling us, heck maybe even link to us on the front page? Fans and foes alike have attacked Honda/Acura lately as a company that is "not forward thinking" and has "forgotten its roots". But aren't small affordable, fun to drive cars, what built Acura? It seems sometimes that with fans like these, who actually needs real critics...
Old 10-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rxj27
But its especially troubling when other Acura "enthusiasts" refuse to think with an open mind. Why not just welcome us into the community instead of belittling us, heck maybe even link to us on the front page? Fans and foes alike have attacked Honda/Acura lately as a company that is "not forward thinking" and has "forgotten its roots". But aren't small affordable, fun to drive cars, what built Acura? It seems sometimes that with fans like these, who actually needs real critics...
Yes there has been a lot of that the last few years and I try and ignore it but sometimes.....

I mean look who started this thread in the first place, a gentleman who purports to suppoort Acura owners and sell to them. Good way to promote your business.

Last edited by terdonal; 10-18-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Drifting

Yea, not sure why acura enthusiasts would turn against there own kind. In other news, the 2013 Jetta GLI seems to be (in my mind) a solid competitor to this car. In fact, I don't why it isn't compared. It comes with similar tech, but adaptive lighting, gps, lumbar support, and memory seats. To be honest, I'm kind of regretting not taking a closer look.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yea, not sure why acura enthusiasts would turn against there own kind. In other news, the 2013 Jetta GLI seems to be (in my mind) a solid competitor to this car. In fact, I don't why it isn't compared. It comes with similar tech, but adaptive lighting, gps, lumbar support, and memory seats. To be honest, I'm kind of regretting not taking a closer look.
Pretty hard to be on top of everything when the changes keep coming so fast and furious from all of the mfgs. If I could I would have at least a dozen different cars instead I make do with what I have. The grass is always greener they say.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Everybody needs to step back and take a breath. I'm the last person to be accused of being "politically correct" but it seems to me that it's possible to express your opinion without trying to deliberately "stir the pot". And, if anyone is going to say that they are not trying to do anything "deliberately" then I humbly suggest that you re-examine how you phrase things.

I mean, what is so hard about saying, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you" (unless you did mean to offend somebody)? Moving on…
The following users liked this post:
weather (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Everybody needs to step back and take a breath. I'm the last person to be accused of being "politically correct" but it seems to me that it's possible to express your opinion without trying to deliberately "stir the pot". And, if anyone is going to say that they are not trying to do anything "deliberately" then I humbly suggest that you re-examine how you phrase things.

I mean, what is so hard about saying, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you" (unless you did mean to offend somebody)? Moving on…
OT: Colin- Please take a look at the suspension thread. I had directed something towards you. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Drifting

Pretty hard to be on top of everything when the changes keep coming so fast and furious from all of the mfgs. If I could I would have at least a dozen different cars instead I make do with what I have. The grass is always greener they say.
Absolutely, and I'm pretty happy -- as you can probably tell from my other posts
Old 10-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Have you seen the inside of the Jetta? I had that as a loaner for a week... Its a piece of crap when it comes to interior quality. Even the base ILX is better than that... Personally I need something that doesn't sound plastic like and hollow like an empty beer can... I am yet to find a German car that has the same build quality at the same price... Especially after checking out the TL at 50K and the G37 at the same price most other brands lack ergonomics and design functionality.... I know a lot of people don't care about that, but after putting on 30K miles in 2 years there's no car I'd rather be driving! Its more involving IMO...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Racer

Yes there has been a lot of that the last few years and I try and ignore it but sometimes.....

I mean look who started this thread in the first place, a gentleman who purports to suppoort Acura owners and sell to them. Good way to promote your business.
Haha, now he's asking for consultants. Guess ILXs aren't so hopeless after all. I guess it's good business strategy; degrade your customers before you sell to them. Maybe the Infiniti people will be more understanding...
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Burning Brakes

I've been driving the ILX as a loaner car for the past few days and its been nothing but great. Granted its not as sporty as the Civic SI but as an entry into the Acura family they've done an awesome job... I've checked out the Civic interior quality and it really doesn't come close to that of the acura... So far I really like it... Granted I'd never trade in my TL for one, but its still a good car!