Good Things About the ILX/Fun with the ILX

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Good Things About the ILX/Fun with the ILX

Seems like a lot of threads on this very discussion board have been criticizing the ILX. As a proud owner, its a little frustrating to deal with the constant negativity...SO I wanted to create a thread for people to post things they like about the ILX, pics of fun times with their car, or anything positive about the car.

We can all go to Tyson's blog for inspiration:
http://drivetofive.wordpress.com/
The following 3 users liked this post by rxj27:
4cruizn (10-18-2012), spdandpwr (10-16-2012), Spirited Driver (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
If its any consolation, I think the ILX is a great vehicle.....I am not sure why all the hate and bashing. Its got great interior and exterior styling and although some do complain about its power, I am not sure how many people buy the ILX for the 0-60. In fact, I would argue that the Integra that everyone raved about in the past wasn't much different than this model. I don't own one but I think it offers a great little package and YES, there are a few things Acura could have done better on the ILX but the same could be said about the TL, the RDX, and most other cars. Its easy for us to sit here and say...Why didn't Acura do this, or used that but there are several factors that comes into play and many of them are smarter than me At the end of the day, I make an assessment of what I want to spend my money on....If Acura doesn't offer what I need/want, rather than lose sleep over it, I will just search for a car company that does. My 2 cents...
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
rxj27 (10-16-2012), Spirited Driver (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
I love my car. I don't really have any problems, just nit-picky things. I actually enjoy it more than my 2012 TSX that I traded-in for the ILX. I get great gas mileage, decent pep (which will be made even better when I get the supercharger), and an easy to park car. Plus this car has tons of tech which wasn't/isn't found in any car in this price range.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all, new here- but have been reading up like crazy on the ILX, and picked my new one up yesterday. So far, it's so beautiful I'm afraid to breathe on it I was curious what type of actual gas mileage more experienced owners are seeing? This is mainly a commuter car for me, so excited to get a full tank in and see for myself!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Driving with fuel mileage in mind, I'm showing 32.6 on the MID right now. For reference, my average speed on this tankful of gas is 34 MPH. There is a lot of short shifting involved.....

BTW, welcome!

Last edited by Colin; 10-16-2012 at 04:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lkt5825 (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 PM
5th Gear

Anything over 30 would be acceptable for me. This is what I was going for with this downsized car... so hoping it's justified! Had the ILX Hybrid ordered and driven in from the dealer- unfortunately the 'base' model hybrid had cloth-ish seats.... dealbreaker for a $30k car for me. Thought I was really going to have to go back to the drawing board, but took a second look at the Premium and figured it was worth the while. I just wish the Hybrid had a 'premium' model... the jump up to the tech hybrid was just too much right now. Kind of strange options offered, but worked for me. I guess that is why they are getting so much scrutiny. Why the 2.4 in only a manual? why cloth seats in the base? yada yada yada. I love Acura, so they can do no wrong in my book (except for the cloth seats... that's crazy )
Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Drifting

I'm assuming you got the 2.0. I have the 2.4 and get about 32-34 on the MID with some spirited driving every so often.
lkt5825 (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

lkt5825, I was just saying that in the sales office the other day, there are simultaneously too many trim levels and not enough trim levels for this car.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:12 PM
5th Gear

haha, if only Acura had asked me what they should do with the trim levels.... maybe next time

And i like the 'spirited driving' comment- that's a fantastic way to put it. Mine has all of 50 miles on it... and so far I'm so easy on it because I want to see the best mileage I can get. After that... it's probably all downhill from there. haha

Oh, and yes, went with the Premium 2.0. This is the first 4 cylinder car that I have ever owned. I hope it goes well!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Drifting

I don't know how other brands manage to capitalize on offering varying trim levels / options, while Acura does its best to minimize the amount of variations and still can't come out on top.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 PM
5th Gear

They probably shouldn't have bothered with the ILX base. I doubt anyone wants to go to an Acura dealership and see the price difference and still opt for the base. Who knows, but I just have my opinion, there is a market for everything it seems! People probably thought the same about the Hybrid base... sure enough I went in wanting to buy one!

p.s. nothing at all wrong with Buick and Lexus comparisons.... but it seems to me that people who are interested in an ILX aren't generally interested in driving a Buick. Lexus is another thing, I think they compare it mostly to a 200c? I didn't look too closely at that, but isn't that a hatchback of sorts? I have seen so many comparisons to the Buick and Lexus. I am sure I'm missing something, but those seem like a stretch to put in the mix. I wanted a nice, 4 door, non-hatchback car. This is why I purchased.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Racer

Completely agree with you. Also wanted to add that the number of luxury cars under $30,000 is sparse. Not including the Verano, which most of us would not cross shop, the only real competition currently is the A3 (only in hatchback form now) and the CT (again hatchback and a hybrid). The ILX is primed for success as an affordable small luxury sedan.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Drifting

The C200h and a3 are significantly pricier, when comparably equipped.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Things I love about my 6MT ILX:

Very nice interior. I sat in many different cars, A4, A3, X1, IS250, and while all had specific things I liked (ventilated seats in the IS250 would be amazing in Vegas, variable-height armrest in the A4 would be nice, etc), I liked the ILX interior the best. It suited me the best.

It has the most comfortable seats of any car I sat in or drove. Again, personal preference, but they fit me exactly how I would draw them up.

Manual. Just try to find a manual BMW or Audi on a new car lot here in Vegas. Oh, and then pay $10k more for a similarly equipped model.

Interior room is great. I have as much leg room as there is in the TSX, about the same headroom (the TSX is slightly wider) and I have a car that is 500lbs lighter, with the same engine (2.4). I like smaller cars for parking and agility.

Engine and transmission are great. I only drive MT cars and this is my favorite so far. Light clutch (but not too light), short, precise throws, smooth engine. The interior noise is surprisingly quiet overall, although it is still louder than many, bigger luxury cars. In short, it's quieter than most cars cheaper than it, but louder than most cars more expensive than it. I don't see a problem with that.

Then with the engine, I like that it has two personalities. One is below 4000rpm where it is peppy and frugal. I can accelerate around town and onto the highway without going past 4k rpm, and get around 32mpg overall. But if I need it, it's nice knowing the extra kick is there above 4000rpm.

It has everything I need, nothing I don't. I like the bluetooth, HID headlights, the XM, power seat, the auto-dimming mirror, keyless access and start, rear camera, high quality materials. And I didn't pay for a lot of stuff I don't need or want (although I can understand the disappointment of those who would want some of those things as options).

Expected reliability, and safety. Fuel economy.

Speaking of Fuel economy, I am hoping to get 32mpg+ from the 2.4 6mt. The engine has been breaking in and so far each tank has been more fuel efficient than the last: 27.9, 28.8, 30.8, 32.3 has been the trend so far. Because of my jobs, my weekly driving habits are very consistent so those tanks are all on almost exactly the same driving pattern. I hope I can maintain 32+ from here on out.

Re: comparisons. I think the ILX 2.4 compares very favorably with the Lexus IS250. The Lexus is slower, with a considerably more cramped back seat, and costs quite a bit more. The Lexus has a more aggressive body style, and (with the correct option$) has more gadgetry inside, but, as mentioned, besides the ventilated seats, it has nothing I really want or need, definitely nothing I'm willing to pay $10k more for.

I liked the ILX more than the A3 straight up even though the A3 was $5k more. I liked the A4 quite a bit, but again, similarly equipped it's $8k more, then with all its gizmos it's $10k+ more. It was close between the two but Acura's reliability, lower cost of ownership, perfect interior, and being considerably less expensive, won out.

The X1 didn't even contend. It had a nice, powerful engine, but at the $35k max price range it was very bare bones (leatherette, yuck).
The following 3 users liked this post by rocket354:
4cruizn (10-17-2012), spdandpwr (10-16-2012), terdonal (11-26-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
5th Gear

I never thought about the engine needing to be 'broken in' to where it would get better and better mileage each tank. This is my first 'new-new' car, so all things I am learning. I had a 2007 TL prior to this car, which I LOVED, but the mileage was killing me- so I sold the TL while it was still worth a significant amount to upgrade to the ILX. I do miss the navigation, but half the time I would have my phone out, along with the navigation anyway since St. Louis highways have gone through so many changes and I never bought the newer nav disc. In the end, I'm still a happy camper and can't wait to get a little more settled into my new little car!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lkt5825
They probably shouldn't have bothered with the ILX base. I doubt anyone wants to go to an Acura dealership and see the price difference and still opt for the base. Who knows, but I just have my opinion, there is a market for everything it seems! People probably thought the same about the Hybrid base... sure enough I went in wanting to buy one!

p.s. nothing at all wrong with Buick and Lexus comparisons.... but it seems to me that people who are interested in an ILX aren't generally interested in driving a Buick. Lexus is another thing, I think they compare it mostly to a 200c? I didn't look too closely at that, but isn't that a hatchback of sorts? I have seen so many comparisons to the Buick and Lexus. I am sure I'm missing something, but those seem like a stretch to put in the mix. I wanted a nice, 4 door, non-hatchback car. This is why I purchased.
I know this may sound crazy but when my wife and I went car shopping we had a strict rule of no leather. We were both ideologically (vegetarians!) and practically (@ss burns on hot STL days) opposed to it. So had the car salesmen not first brought out a tech version, we would have been probably satisfied with the base. But, once we were in the nice perforated leather it was pretty much a done deal. Great sales tactic, I have to give the salesman props! Either way I think there is still a market out there for the base ILX especially among the younger buyers. Whether Acura salespeople really push to sell those cars is another question...
Old 10-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i like the ride of it the car, i know with an upgrade in tires+suspension the car will feel alot more dynamic.

Can't wait till spring so i can start the upgrades.

Design wise, it's nothing like any other acura, and I'm still getting double looks - from acura drivers. Granted i get alot more looks when the car is clean than dirty from a week's worth of driving.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Racer

Awesome video Colin!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rxj27
Sorry, I need to take that down. It was supposed to be an "unlisted" video.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
New link to video?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Damn, I wish I watched that video.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
Damn, I wish I watched that video.
Maybe Colin will repost?

But it was a good synopsis of Acura ACE body structure and Active Sound Control technologies.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

Ilx!

I love my ILX! My biggest complaint was that there were no low end in the sound system. But my Mtx subwoofers took care of that! The proximity key is awesome!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Things I love

First and foremost, the fuel economy. I'm getting 30 mpg and never got that in a car before (live in a city with lots of stop and go traffic).

The voice command to hear a specific song is great. I've got an iPod classic with about 30,000 songs on it so anything I feel like hearing I can. I wish, tough that it could be one step, i.e. "ipod search play song <name>" instead of having to say "ipod search" and then waiting. Oh well, first world problems.

The Navi which is actually accurate and chooses logical routes.

The rear backup guides! I can get out of my narrow garage without scratching up the car!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Racer

Acurazine ILX Community

BUMP...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Racer

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...sema-show.html

ILX endurance racecar revealed at 2012 SEMA. Congrats to all 6MT owners, this racer keeps the stock 201 HP 2.4 L 4 cylinder engine with modded CAI and exhaust...Awesome looking car!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:23 PM
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've only had mine a week, but I'm loving it. I don't quite get the complaints about it being underpowered, but I do have the 2.4. The manual helps pull good things out of it too. Honda still makes the best shifters in the market for my money. I keep finding new things I like about it.

Hill start assist is awesome in San Francisco, though it does mean I can't show off my skills.
4cruizn (11-06-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by seriousken
I've only had mine a week...

Hill start assist is awesome in San Francisco, though it does mean I can't show off my skills.
Seriousken, curious what Nor Cal Acura Dealer you purchased your ILX from? What was your experience like? Did they have the manual on the lot or did they get it from another Dealership?

Taking notes on Nor Cal Dealers. Waiting for the Earth Dreams engine to make it to the ILX and hopefully the Tech package offered on the manual as well.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:59 PM
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Olladriver
Seriousken, curious what Nor Cal Acura Dealer you purchased your ILX from? What was your experience like? Did they have the manual on the lot or did they get it from another Dealership?

Taking notes on Nor Cal Dealers. Waiting for the Earth Dreams engine to make it to the ILX and hopefully the Tech package offered on the manual as well.
I bought from Acura of Pleasanton. They had one manual on the lot (total... among all models) and I bought it. I'd been trying for weeks to find a manual TSX, which was my intended car, but I tried the ILX on a lark and loved it. They had a pretty big selection otherwise, and if you're cross-shoping with other Japanese brands or BMW, they have those in the same dealership family, so it's one-stop shopping.

I had a pretty strange experience there, which involved about a half gallon of gasoline dumped on me while test driving a TSX sportwagon, and waiting in walmart while they bought me a new shirt. (Long story, obviously.) They were very nice to me after that and to their credit, they made it up to me, including a great deal on the car and hand-delivering it to me in Albany. (If you're reading this Greg or Darryl, all is forgiven, and the gasoline smell eventually came out of the shirt.)

Acura of Oakland had a manual in their showroom last I knew, but that was weeks ago. I've also test drove the first-gen TSX at Acura of Marin some years ago and found them helpful and low-pressure, but I never bought from them.

Good hunting!
The following 2 users liked this post by seriousken:
4cruizn (11-06-2012), Olladriver (11-03-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Racer

Interview with the first ILX owner in America, Dr. Brian Karp...

4cruizn (11-06-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Racer

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...odel=ILX&year=

5star crash test rating from the NHTSA...

terdonal (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Good to see but hard to look at. One hopes they never have to find out. I was hit broadside at 50 mph crossing a highway at a green light in my 1989 Honda Accord by a woman who went full speed through red light. No airbags then.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Longtime lurker, but recently acquired an ILX 6MT so i've been trying to participate in the ILX forum. Here are some of my impressions after 1 week with the car:

Fuel Economy and Power - for me the ILX offers a nice balance of power and fuel economy. The first tank of gas yielded 34mpg with mostly highway driving (i saw as high as 36mpg over 150 miles of mostly highway driving). The second was 25mpg, but, my average speed was only 20mph, so that tells you how much stop and go driving I did. I never feel like the car lacks power, and it pulls nicely/easily in the lower RPM range which allows me to get into the highest gear possible fairly quickly.

Size - I like the size of the car. I may not be the target demographic since I have a 7 month old and a 12 year old step son, but, we all went away for the weekend on a 3 hour road trip to long island, NY. Thats good enough for me. My parents have an 2012 Civic, so, I had the opportunity to see how it would be to live with a smaller car. My previous car was a 2005 Accord EX-L, but, I never felt like the car fit me as well (it was quite big)

Features - The SMS reading feature is really nice. and if i feel i need to respond, i can either call the person or press the home button on my iphone (i keep it in the cupholder) and tell Siri to reply.

Materials - I'm happy with the soft touch materials and leather quality. I like the thick rimmed steering wheel as well. Definitely a step up from my accord.

Styling - I think the ILX looks pretty good from most angles, and while acura has gotten some flack for the chrome beak the past several years, i think this is a nice interpretation of it. its much more toned down.

One thing I wish could be improved would be the exhaust note of the 6MT. It's not bad, however, i just wish it was a tad bit quieter. It dies down pretty well when cruising between 45-65mph, but, it can be kind of boomy when accelerating (especially when sitting in the back seat). I don't find road noise to be an issue other than over really rough highway roads. But it's not like i'm coming from a Lexus so its not a big deal.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Great thread and love seeing the stuff that people like about their cars.

I'm closing in on 20k miles with mine and have enjoyed every mile.
Originally Posted by pabarile
One thing I wish could be improved would be the exhaust note of the 6MT.
I agreed 100% on all your 'good' points. Also agree on the exhaust note. I haven't spent much time behind the wheel of a 2.0 to compare, but in the 2.4 it's loud enough that I've had multiple people ask if the car has a performance muffler. Not necessarily a 'bad' thing, just an observation since some folks might expect a premium brand vehicle to have a softer sound.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn
Also agree on the exhaust note. I haven't spent much time behind the wheel of a 2.0 to compare, but in the 2.4 it's loud enough that I've had multiple people ask if the car has a performance muffler. Not necessarily a 'bad' thing, just an observation since some folks might expect a premium brand vehicle to have a softer sound.
Yep, its not necessarily a bad thing as you say, however, i feel like given the more upscale image of the car, a softer exhaust note would be more suitable. I've never gotten into tuning a car or whatnot, but, could it be made quieter by say going to Midas or some other shop and getting a different muffler? That might sound naive but not sure how else to ask haha. Or is there something else more intrinsic to the design of the exhaust system that makes it louder?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn
Great thread and love seeing the stuff that people like about their cars.

I'm closing in on 20k miles with mine and have enjoyed every mile.

I agreed 100% on all your 'good' points. Also agree on the exhaust note. I haven't spent much time behind the wheel of a 2.0 to compare, but in the 2.4 it's loud enough that I've had multiple people ask if the car has a performance muffler. Not necessarily a 'bad' thing, just an observation since some folks might expect a premium brand vehicle to have a softer sound.
Yeah, when accelerating onto the highway one day I had a friend comment "it sounds like a race car!". I think it's a nice sound, but a bit louder than necessary at time. Acura should either tone it down a notch or keep it and give us about 50 more HP.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Drifting

That's funny that you mention the volume of the exhaust note. Lol, my girlfriend says my car is too loud. Honestly, if the car had a visible muffler and had an indication (visually speaking) that it was a performance model, then I think the volume would be acceptable. But the way the car is designed in such an under the radar fashion, it's sort of strange to have a loud exhaust.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
After three months of driving my ILX I'm going to respond again because my initial response was based on a short drive time:

1. The fuel economy--routinely getting 27-28 City and 33-35 highway.

2. The "zip". When I have to pass someone, it's easy.

3. The heated seats...didn't think I'd like them in a temperate climate, but on cold mornings they feel soooo good

4. The audio system, particularly the DVD-A, which sounds amazing, and the iPod search feature. I wish the song name would display, though, the way it does for Satellite or FM

5. Tapping the turn signal once for lane changes.

6. The fog lights

7. The rear backup guides!!!!!! My garage is super-narrow and I have cars parked on the street super close to my driveway. No more cringing about whether the mirrors are going to hit the side of the garage.

8. The automatic lighting, especially having the lights come on automatically when the wipers go on, which is the law here in California.

9. The Navi, which is very accurate and doesn't send me on circuitous routes like my old stand-alone Garmin did. The traffic report feature (SiriusXM) is also very current to the point that I can see if there's an accident on the bridge I cross every day and what lane it's in and have plenty of time to get to the other lane. The "Detour" feature, though, still takes me through some very iffy neighborhoods. Guess it would be un-PC to have a Navi avoid certain areas

10. The roominess and visibility.

Overall, for me, the ILX is the *perfect* city car. Small yet roomy, and easy to park.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Drifting

Nice post, besides the tenderloin and Hunter's Point, SF isn't that bad.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
I also have the 6-Speed 2.4! I have gotten plenty of compliments from friends and neighbors alike. One friend even said "this car makes me feel like we should pull up in VIP" and one "it really sounds like this car has an aftermarket exhaust".. The K24 is a smooth motor in tandum with the manual. It makes you WANT to drive. This is why I traded my 2009 TSX Tech for it. I feel the 200 horsepower is enough to have fun on this lighter platform and all I can hope for now is a CT-E supercharger in my near future.

My only complaints? The exhaust is hiding, the suspension loads and unloads unpredictably mid-corner, and the gearing of 3K rpm @ 70 mph is rather obnoxious.. does it deter me from loving the car?? Nah.

I am glad others love it too

Quick Reply: Good Things About the ILX/Fun with the ILX