Consumer Reports Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Consumer Reports Review

The latest issue of Consumer Reports has a review of the ILX and a comparison with the Buick Verano (which the ILX beats).

In general, they said the car is pricey but rates 77 (good), vs. the TSX which gets an 84 (excellent). The gist of the review is that the ILX is "competent but unexciting".

In a six car comparison: Ford Escape, ILX, Verano, Porsche Panamera, Fisker Karma and Infiniti JX, only the Infiniti and the ILX were C.R. Recommended, and the Infiniti is a lot more expensive.

The ILX did above average in every category except Acceleration, Ride, Noise, and Rear Third Seat comfort--it was average in those categories. It did not get a below average or poor in any category.

Surprisingly, the $100K Fisker Karma fared poorly in comparison to the ILX, and the ILX beat the Infiniti for Emergency Handling, where the Infiniti got below average and the ILX above average.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by sfguy
The latest issue of Consumer Reports has a review of the ILX and a comparison with the Buick Verano (which the ILX beats).

In general, they said the car is pricey but rates 77 (good), vs. the TSX which gets an 84 (excellent). The gist of the review is that the ILX is "competent but unexciting".

In a six car comparison: Ford Escape, ILX, Verano, Porsche Panamera, Fisker Karma and Infiniti JX, only the Infiniti and the ILX were C.R. Recommended, and the Infiniti is a lot more expensive.

The ILX did above average in every category except Acceleration, Ride, Noise, and Rear Third Seat comfort--it was average in those categories. It did not get a below average or poor in any category.

Surprisingly, the $100K Fisker Karma fared poorly in comparison to the ILX, and the ILX beat the Infiniti for Emergency Handling, where the Infiniti got below average and the ILX above average.
Can you elaborate on this point? Most head to head comparisons favor the Verano due to better sound insulation, more HPs, and lower price tag. Is this due to the reliability issues of Buick?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
To be honest as much as I like my ILX that surprises me. I know the Verano has some issues as do the Veloster, Focus and others as no car is perfect as we can see by some people having issues with their ILX's.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rxj27
Can you elaborate on this point? Most head to head comparisons favor the Verano due to better sound insulation, more HPs, and lower price tag. Is this due to the reliability issues of Buick?
Also the Buick has a significantly smaller back seat. It is heavier, so even with more HP it isn't that much quicker (than the 2.0, it is quite a bit slower than the 2.4). It also has Buick reliability, odd styling, probably doesn't match the ILX's safety ratings, and I have no clue how it handles, but if they prefer that, too, then I can definitely see how the ILX is preferred over the Verano.

I'm surprised it rates that much lower than the TSX. The amenities are very similar, and at first glance the interiors are almost identical (much like with many Acuras). Cabin room is very similar, with the TSX a touch wider, with a roof maybe a touch taller, that's about it. The front and rear seat room both feel just about identical. The TSX has more weight on the same engine so is slower. It has more cargo space and is probably a bit quieter. I guess they must have compared the 2.0 ILX to the 2.4 TSX.

The more I have my ILX and compare it to cars I could have bought for a little more or a little less, the more I like it.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
also...ILX beats the Verano in fuel economy 28mpg to 24mpg....
Old 10-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Every time I see a Verano on the roads, I can't help but think that the chrome above the tail lights look like a white eyebrow. Despite Buick's attempt at advertising this to a younger audience, this look kills it for me.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Verano scored a 73, which is very close. C.R. liked that the Verano doesn't require premium fuel, but said that the rear seat is uncomfortable compared to the ILX. They dinged the Verano the most for its headlights, which they said only reach a "modest distance and have a sharp cutoff" while the ILX had "good illumination with high levels of intensity". They also said the ILX had much better storage space than the Verano, and that the Verano's visibility was impeded by "thick roof pillars, a high seat rear deck and large head restraints" wheras the ILX was "very good, thanks to narrow roof pillars up front. The high deck limits the view rearward".
The following users liked this post:
rxj27 (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by sfguy
.. the Verano's visibility was impeded by "thick roof pillars, a high seat rear deck and large head restraints" wheras the ILX was "very good, thanks to narrow roof pillars up front. The high deck limits the view rearward".
. These are the kind of comments that make me want to dig deeper. For example, maybe the Verano uses thicker A-pillers because they're using standard steel? Where as the ILX is using more expensive high tensile strength steel? Thus, in an indirect way, we see where there is "hidden" additional costs in the ILX that plays a benefit but you don't see it (no pun intended).
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
. These are the kind of comments that make me want to dig deeper. For example, maybe the Verano uses thicker A-pillers because they're using standard steel? Where as the ILX is using more expensive high tensile strength steel? Thus, in an indirect way, we see where there is "hidden" additional costs in the ILX that plays a benefit but you don't see it (no pun intended).
Unfortunately, looks like the Verano has 60% HSS steel vs. 59% for the ILX.

"Verano’s strong, unitized body structure incorporates 60-percent high-strength steel in key areas to enhance strength and crash protection by helping to prevent intrusion into the passenger compartment. "
http://media.buick.com/media/us/en/b...rano/2013.html

"Acura ILX utilizes high strength steel (HSS) in 59-percent of its body structure. "
http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=6561-en

Maybe the ILX has higher grade HSS?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by rxj27
Unfortunately, looks like the Verano has 60% HSS steel vs. 59% for the ILX.

"Verano’s strong, unitized body structure incorporates 60-percent high-strength steel in key areas to enhance strength and crash protection by helping to prevent intrusion into the passenger compartment. "
http://media.buick.com/media/us/en/b...rano/2013.html

"Acura ILX utilizes high strength steel (HSS) in 59-percent of its body structure. "
http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=6561-en

Maybe the ILX has higher grade HSS?
I noticed that too. And yes there are different grades of high-strength steel. Maybe Acura chose to use theirs in the A-pillar versus a different distribution for the Verano? That Buick sure is a porker for its size.