Acura TLX: First Steps

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Acura TLX: First Steps

More details about the TLX including engine specs:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ademarked.html

Acura has trademarked the name TLX, a moniker which will sit on the TL successor, which will be a merging of the existing TL and TSX.

The TLX will ride on the 2013 Honda Accord platform, and be the first Acura to incorporate the Earth Dreams engine lineup. It will sit in between Acura’s new RLX flagship, and the small ILX sedan (shown above). Sporting direct injection, the motor in the TLX will deliver around 310 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. The hybrid setup found in the new Accord, good for 45 mpg, is also apparently going to find its way into the new TLX.

The introduction of the ILX has left no space for the TSX, but the TSX is apparently going to continue production in limited form, and only as a V6 model.

Despite the flagship RLX, Acura is following a plan to remain a second tier luxury automaker rather than an all-out challenger to brands like BMW, Mercedes and Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
Rocket_man (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
what does second tier luxury mean? Volvo, Volkswagen, Saab type of deal?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Racer

The concept of tier one is becoming antiquated especially with Gen Xer and Yers like us...maybe

http://autoperspectives.com/blog/201...have-a-future/
Old 10-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Drifting

I don't equate lexus with Tier 1...I'm sorry, it's even touted as a cheaper alternative to the german brands. I also see BMW and Audi as being on the same plane.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Racer

Yea Hyundai? WTF...

Either way, we can agree that car companies are now all trying to figure out the wants and needs of the next generation of car buyers. Prestige will always be in demand and justify a premium. The TLX will be a winner...
Old 10-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by rxj27
More details about the TLX including engine specs:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ademarked.html

Acura has trademarked the name TLX, a moniker which will sit on the TL successor, which will be a merging of the existing TL and TSX.

The TLX will ride on the 2013 Honda Accord platform, and be the first Acura to incorporate the Earth Dreams engine lineup. It will sit in between Acura’s new RLX flagship, and the small ILX sedan (shown above). Sporting direct injection, the motor in the TLX will deliver around 310 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. The hybrid setup found in the new Accord, good for 45 mpg, is also apparently going to find its way into the new TLX.

The introduction of the ILX has left no space for the TSX, but the TSX is apparently going to continue production in limited form, and only as a V6 model.

Despite the flagship RLX, Acura is following a plan to remain a second tier luxury automaker rather than an all-out challenger to brands like BMW, Mercedes and Lexus.
Thanks for the link rxj... but I wonder what their source of info is and how reliable their info is. No surprise the TLX will be based on the accord, what else is there to build it on. It states it will be the first Acura to get the ED engine but either the ILX, MDX, or RDX could easily beat it before it debuts. And isn't the RLX going to be built on the ED? And as much as I like the TSX I can see no reason to continue the TSX V6 with a V6 TLX in the same line up. That platform is also going out of production. The TSX V6 is a very limited seller, it would suffer the 'import' penalty which was the whole reason to move production of just about every thing else to the US. They are already pretty close in pricing. This makes no sense. I still hope they will make a 4 cyl TLX to fill in what will be a large gap between the ILX and TLX V6. I don't need the V6, the hybrid will be too expensive, the ILX is too small. I hope they don't create a gap here.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea Hyundai? WTF...

Either way, we can agree that car companies are now all trying to figure out the wants and needs of the next generation of car buyers. Prestige will always be in demand and justify a premium. The TLX will be a winner...
IKR wtf
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Thanks for the link rxj... but I wonder what their source of info is and how reliable their info is. No surprise the TLX will be based on the accord, what else is there to build it on. It states it will be the first Acura to get the ED engine but either the ILX, MDX, or RDX could easily beat it before it debuts. And isn't the RLX going to be built on the ED? And as much as I like the TSX I can see no reason to continue the TSX V6 with a V6 TLX in the same line up. That platform is also going out of production. The TSX V6 is a very limited seller, it would suffer the 'import' penalty which was the whole reason to move production of just about every thing else to the US. They are already pretty close in pricing. This makes no sense. I still hope they will make a 4 cyl TLX to fill in what will be a large gap between the ILX and TLX V6. I don't need the V6, the hybrid will be too expensive, the ILX is too small. I hope they don't create a gap here.
Pure guessery, but I think they will start making a 2.4 ILX auto. Then the "gap" will be filled with the TSX v6 or they will start the base TLX at a pretty accommodating price point.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^
Shoulda been a 2.4 automatic from the start, but Acura knows the market better than me, what do I know?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^
Shoulda been a 2.4 automatic from the start, but Acura knows the market better than me, what do I know?
I can only wonder if they hadn't intended to launch this car with the Earth Dreams engines? If so, it's likely that both engines are "stopgap" choices. I think this car would have been better received with a 165 hp 2 L engine with a CVT and a 2.2 L DI with 205-210 hp. but they couldn't do much after the earthquake interrupted things. I think they did the right thing by launching the car when they did. You have to remember, the last "all new car" as we had was the 2009 TL. That is the longest I've ever seen them go without something new in the showroom. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a brand go FOUR years between you product launches?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,916 Likes on 14,037 Posts
Hope it's good!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I can only wonder if they hadn't intended to launch this car with the Earth Dreams engines? If so, it's likely that both engines are "stopgap" choices.
I've thought this all along. It makes little sense to introduce a model from a premium brand, only to have its engines rendered obsolete -- or at least upstaged -- by those in the mainstream brand in less than a year. I bet we'll see Earth Dreams engines in the ILX within the next 12 months.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Drifting

Should I hold off on modifications and wait for another sport version of the ilx?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
I've thought this all along. It makes little sense to introduce a model from a premium brand, only to have its engines rendered obsolete -- or at least upstaged -- by those in the mainstream brand in less than a year. I bet we'll see Earth Dreams engines in the ILX within the next 12 months.
The 2.4L Earth Dreams and the 278hp V6 ED are both in the new Accord. So it would not be unexpected to see these in the 2.4L ILX and RDX in the next model year. It would be a boost to the ILX if they offered the 2.4L Auto Tech model. Not sure about the smaller ~2.0L ED engine availability.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Pro

The 2.4L Earth Dreams and the 278hp V6 ED are both in the new Accord. So it would not be unexpected to see these in the 2.4L ILX and RDX in the next model year. It would be a boost to the ILX if they offered the 2.4L Auto Tech model. Not sure about the smaller ~2.0L ED engine availability.

I agree. I expect the ED 2.4 drivetrains from the Accord, i.e., both 6MT and CVT, but not sure about the 2.0. The ED 2.4 might be efficient enough that they drop the 2.0 entirely, which would simplify the lineup and eliminate the absurdity of a 150 hp engine in an "entry luxury" car.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
I agree. I expect the ED 2.4 drivetrains from the Accord, i.e., both 6MT and CVT, but not sure about the 2.0. The ED 2.4 might be efficient enough that they drop the 2.0 entirely, which would simplify the lineup and eliminate the absurdity of a 150 hp engine in an "entry luxury" car.
The 2.4L ED in the ILX would be a good match. If they could put this engine as the base engine at the base price I bet sales would be up quite a bit from where they are today. But I'm not holding my breath!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Not impressed. The current 3.7 makes 305hp/273 lb-ft, not much of an improvement IMO.

I'd like to see:
  • looks sporty
  • handles well (if that means double-wishbone, let's have it)
  • >320hp >290lb-ft
  • 0-60 <5.6sec
  • AWD standard (SH-AWD optional)
  • run on regular (optional)
  • keyless standard (shouldn't be a problem)
  • HID standard
  • fogs standard
  • dual exhaust standard
  • adaptive cruise/accident avoidance standard
  • backup cam standard
  • excellent structural safety (historically not a problem)
  • 5year 60k bumper to bumper and 6 year/100k powertrain warranty
  • <$2500 price increase over base TL
Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
For the TLX, I'm thinking it'll make closer to 325 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque and get 32 mpg on the highway.
justnspace (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
now to figure out how to throw the 3.5 ED into my 3rd gen TL.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Racer

So now what cars besides the Accord will the TLX compete against? Will it be a legitimate 3 series competitor? Or will it even be able to take on the bigger boys (E class, 5 series, A6, G37, GSs)?

Or is will it fall somewhere between the two segments and thus validate Acura's strategy to "remain a second tier luxury automaker rather than an all-out challenger to brands like BMW, Mercedes and Lexus".
Old 10-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Pro

So now what cars besides the Accord will the TLX compete against? Will it be a legitimate 3 series competitor? Or will it even be able to take on the bigger boys (E class, 5 series, A6, G37, GSs)?

Or is will it fall somewhere between the two segments and thus validate Acura's strategy to "remain a second tier luxury automaker rather than an all-out challenger to brands like BMW, Mercedes and Lexus".
I've assumed it would be the latter, which is basically where the TL sits now. But with the 3 Series getting bigger, and the TLX supposedly smaller than the TL, maybe it will be closer to the 3 Series's segment.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Yea Hyundai? WTF...

I had to do a double take on that. Who honestly considers Hyundai a luxury manufacturer of any tier? In my mind they're a solid mainstream manufacturer who happen to have a few cars up in the luxury range. Then again, they do have RWD and a V8, and the internet car sites keeps telling me that's all you need for luxury. We all know the internet is never wrong too, so maybe that's it?

Going off my own group of friends since I'm in the target demo of the ILX. In some ways, Acura is right that most people my age don't care about performance numbers, if I try to talk specs of my TSX their eyes just gloss over, but the second I talk about all the technology that's packed in they get excited. That being said, they can't afford to have the TLX fall behind in the performance department.

I like the idea of making AWD standard, but why not take it a step further? Make SH-AWD the standard drivetrain with about 310-320 HP and make the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD the optional upgrade.

I get the feeling when Acura is done realigning the lineup, they will more or less have the ILX to compete against the likes of the 1 series/Verano, the TLX to stand against the 3 series/A4/G37/etc and the RLX against the 5 series/A6/GS/etc.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
TLX will need to compete against Lexus GS and Lexus ES. (these two combine 8000 sales). ES is super spacious. GS has superb handling in F sport.

RLX will be above that due to its 7speed DCT, 3 motor hybrid, SH-AWD. THese are all expensive technologies more in class of LS hybrid etc.
even the base FWD RLX with steering technology will be closer to $50k. consider it has double wish bone suspension, much larger wheel base, ED V6 engine with new transmission. which $34k Accord touring lacks.

Lexus is increasing the size of Lexus IS in next iteration. so there is need for another car between TLX and ILX.
Just the new A3 sedan will blow ILX out of water let alone next A4.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Acura needs to excite consumers.

The only Acura commerical that has excited me since the 3rd gen TL commercial in 2003 was the new NSX commercial earlier this year.

So basically they just need to make their cars look really really good.

The introduction of new and exciting colors would be an excellent way to excite the people.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Racer

Like this?

or are you talking about actual body paint colors?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Summer is Coming

New Russian Accord

Here is a google translate (poorly) webpage that reviews a pre-production Russian Accord. The previous Russian Accord was the JDM/EUR Accord which used the same chassis as the Acura TSX.

Not saying this will be the look of the TLX, but some of these features may be in the TLX. A few things that are in the Russian Accord that are not in the new USD Accord, at least in the V6 trim are...

- Rear seat heaters
- Rear seat sun shades and motorized rear window sun shade
- LED Headlights on the V6, doesn't look like a touring version
- Fake wood trim, actually doesn't look as bad as other fake wood trims.
- Headlight washers

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...HHuI1zog-I8yhg
rxj27 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Summer is Coming

Here is a google translate (poorly) webpage that reviews a pre-production Russian Accord. The previous Russian Accord was the JDM/EUR Accord which used the same chassis as the Acura TSX.

Not saying this will be the look of the TLX, but some of these features may be in the TLX. A few things that are in the Russian Accord that are not in the new USD Accord, at least in the V6 trim are...

- Rear seat heaters
- Rear seat sun shades and motorized rear window sun shade
- LED Headlights on the V6, doesn't look like a touring version
- Fake wood trim, actually doesn't look as bad as other fake wood trims.
- Headlight washers

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...HHuI1zog-I8yhg
- Forgot rear seat vents
Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Racer

Not sure how I feel about the plastic dash, but the sideview mirror and constant rearview camera displays are pretty awesome. Wheels and stance are a little aggressive... Great find!