Acura ILX suspension bars and bracing

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Acura ILX suspension bars and bracing

Alright so I went down to Cusco USA. Pretty cool place. Saw 2 of their shop cars. The FRS was so nice. Their 2015 STI is pretty stock but Subies are pretty dope regardless. So I met up with Kenji from Cusco so we could try and test fit some stuff... FAIL... First off, the easiest bar to add is the front strut one under the hood, in the engine bay. Just because you can visually lay it over and see "yeah it fits" or "nope". So I went down there because Kenji was pretty sure something in the arsenal would transfer over - NOPE. The width was very different from everything he had. But one problem right off the bat that I didn't even realize at first was the struts have a big plastic cover that is one piece. The piece extends pretty far, so you'd have to chop it up to add a front strut tower bar. I know that FKX makes one that fits - does ANYONE actually have it on? How and where did they cut the plastic piece? Pics would help people. Cusco has no plans to develop anything for our car either. Most of their pieces are JDM spec. So even tho they may develop parts later on for the Civic (SI really) the thing is those may not work either. The fitment can vary from domestic market to domestic market. Kenji was telling me that they sell very little parts for the Honda guys (except a Lot of S2K stuff). A lot of Honda guys just aren't willing to pay for the quality high end parts. He sent me home with a free keychain and sticker or too. He was a nice dude, I could tell he felt bad. It's all good tho. I'm gonna try a few more companies, then I'll just give up and start buying from those who are actually supporting us so far.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Most of the parts we're going to be able to get are really just going to be civic parts that get slightly modded (if needed) for our cars. We have to piggyback off of SI developed parts. Let's face it - the ILX is a nice bastardized child of Honda.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
you might as well give up... LOL its either buy from people who are supporting the platform or customize your own stuff sucks but thats the way the cookie crumbles. I was talking to a friend and Spoon had interest in shipping an ILX to Japan to develope parts for it and he talked them out of it stating the market was not there :/ ... I almost slapped him...LOL!!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:57 PM
2014 ILX 2.4 6mt black

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by neveronlineilx
you might as well give up... LOL its either buy from people who are supporting the platform or customize your own stuff sucks but thats the way the cookie crumbles. I was talking to a friend and Spoon had interest in shipping an ILX to Japan to develope parts for it and he talked them out of it stating the market was not there :/ ... I almost slapped him...LOL!!!!
damn! thats some bullshit
Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah even Kenji told me to check out possible Spoon part cross fitment. But again the problem there is JDM spec fitment vs USDM. He gave me the hookup tho with a shop that carries Spoon. If they have some stuff in stock, I may be able to check on the spot fitment. But since I've contacted most of the companies I trust and actually want parts from, I am soon going to just buy what I want from what is available. We definitely have a little support from some big names. Its just that their support isn't too deep. I just wanted to save some cash on quality parts. The cross fitment stuff is only discounted (at best). And I'm cool with that. I mean, how much R&D time is that really? "Cool, it fits. So you want the bar?"
Old 05-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have 2 or 3 more companies I'm waiting to hear back from, and then if they say no, I will go with the FKX Racing bars, and then I'll decide amongst available springs/coilovers, and then sway bars and subframe braces. I know Tanabe also has a bar available. FKX makes the same thing, so honestly it would just come down to price for me. It's a very basic bar, so although Tanabe has been around longer, I would assume it's more or less the same shit... Our car may see some support in about 5 years, but fuck that, I want parts now. I want to enjoy my car the most I can, not fix it up and then end up selling it or something.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:19 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I've checked everything spoon makes and we are sol. We can use oil cap, rad cap, res covers, shift knob, spark plugs, lug nuts, wheels , spark plugs, seats, steering wheel and that's about it

I bought an FD2R axle back and chopped it into piece and made it fit
Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey dudes great news - I may be getting test fit for some suspension bars! More to follow!. Although maybe you guys won't be that excited. I notice a lot of people are mostly just into lowering and then thats about it for their suspension mods... prove wrong tho folks...
Old 05-23-2014, 05:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any update on the test fitment?
Old 05-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yep they bailed on me
Old 05-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

a couple were like " oh yea we'll let you know when we need you" which really means ... We think its mean to say no, or maybe several months from now....
Old 05-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

oh also just found a 19mm rear sway bar that Comptech makes for the SI. It would probably fit the ILX