Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ could this be a Type-S TLX?
Old 11-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ could this be a Type-S TLX?
Funny you say that. When I dropped of my car this morning at the dealership for service, I mentioned to the service consultant how disappointed I am that they no longer have a 6-speed in the stable, since he saw my car was a 6-speed and mentioned that he can't remember the last time seeing one.

His response was: They are coming out with a TLX-S 6-speed. He then went to correct himself by saying something along the lines of - wait, i'm not sure, never-mind.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^ and probably a hybrid once they get enough batteries to fill Accord Hybrid demand (note that demand seems lower as gas prices fall). The TLX lineup is not finished by any means (TLX Coupe anyone).
Old 11-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Hate to be the bearer or bad news but doesnt look like the headlights are an exact match.

Note the lowest part of the headlight in these pics, that park that hooks downward. It is more curved on the new MMC, more angular on my headlight.
Also look where the fender, bumper, and light meet. The light looks to extend an inch down onto the new bumper where as the old light looks to extend not even half an inch.

One more spot, where the light meets the grill on the MMC has a sharper corner than my headlight and the MMC looks like it may be shorter too.

I am sad.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

I think that's expected with the new bumpers. IMO, they'll match just fine on the sheetmetal sides (hood/fender) since they didn't change that. Remember that they've touted improvements for the small offset crash test, there could be additional changes lurking under the bumper covers.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Colin
I think that's expected with the new bumpers. IMO, they'll match just fine on the sheetmetal sides (hood/fender) since they didn't change that. Remember that they've touted improvements for the small offset crash test, there could be additional changes lurking under the bumper covers.
I was hoping that maybe they would cut cost in making completely new headlights by maybe using the existing housings they had and just upgrading the insides. It was a long shot.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by usdmJON
I was hoping that maybe they would cut cost in making completely new headlights by maybe using the existing housings they had and just upgrading the insides. It was a long shot.
Yeah, with the recent recall for the Halogens, I wonder if they tried to save a few bucks and use the same housing for the HID version as the Halogen ones. This backfired and now they decided to start from scratch? The LEDs need a lot of cooling on the heatsinks from pics of the MDX assembly I saw somewhere.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Racer

Yeah, with the recent recall for the Halogens, I wonder if they tried to save a few bucks and use the same housing for the HID version as the Halogen ones. This backfired and now they decided to start from scratch? The LEDs need a lot of cooling on the heatsinks from pics of the MDX assembly I saw somewhere.
Colin - Off topic: What route are you going after your ILX is due, in terms of vehicle of choice?

I know you're a manual fan, and there is currently nothing in the Acura lineup.

Any cars out there peaking interest?
Old 11-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh well.

I love the 1G ILX bumpers way more.
I like the 2G jewel eyes more but the 1G lights still look nice IMO.
The tails are pure gold on the 2G. I will still heavily look into modding my tails with LEDs if I cant get those to fit... those look more promising than the jewel eyes though.

Its the k24 and new tranny that makes me jealous. Man oh man would it be cool if my Tech have a k series I could easily tune. But I do not want most everything else that comes with the 2G.

Especially the A-Spec. With the TL saying you have the A-Spec actually meant something. Now with the ILX it would just mean youve got a spoiler, sills, and new wheels. Ultra-lame.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
His response was: They are coming out with a TLX-S 6-speed. He then went to correct himself by saying something along the lines of - wait, i'm not sure, never-mind.
I am not sure why Acura insists on being so hush hush....I am at the point of putting an order for an IS 350 F sport but if they said that a TLX Type S would be available by next fall, I'd hold off to get one. What is there to gain by not sharing an estimate as to when they are coming out with next....Its not like we aren't expecting one, its just the timeline that is unknown.

Look at how public they have been with the NSX, so why be so open with one model and so hush hush on a much higher volume mover?!

Since when creating a buzz is a bad thing? So what, if a TLX owner holds off to buy the Type instead of the SH-AWD, at least, they still sell a TLX and don't piss off the guy who just feel that Acura cheated him/her from a Type S.

I just don't get but then again, I am just a dumb Frenchman who is incredibly studly!!
Old 11-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx

once again.. current ilx owners who are hating = me

i think the new look is leaps and bounds better all the way around.
Bro im not hating, im just discussing which differences I like and dont like. Simple as that. The headlights, taillights, and interior infotainment screen are very nice, I consider those huge improvements. As well as the auto (TLX) power train, for people that want a sport entry lux auto. I am still into stick shifts, but eventually Ill probably step up into a nicer full size luxury car to tune, and hey, those have basically all gone on to auto - Lexus, BMW, Mercedes. Hopefully by the time I give up on stick shift, mostly because there wont really be any left, then there will be some seriously sporty autos with a lot more driver engagement.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Also I think this really solidifies longterm resale value on stick shifts in the Acura Lineup (that are well maintained and taken care of). ESPECIALLY - RSX and TSX, Integra type R's. Add some for sure to ILX but hey, lets be honest, less then the aforementioned.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Colin - Off topic: What route are you going after your ILX is due, in terms of vehicle of choice?

I know you're a manual fan, and there is currently nothing in the Acura lineup.

Any cars out there peaking interest?
I think I noted earlier that my 'no automatic' stance is far softer than in years past. Honolulu consistently ranks 1 or 2 for worst traffic in the country (depending on the survey) and it's only getting worse. They're starting work on our rail system and it's currently only in the outlying areas, but in the coming years it will start really disrupting traffic on the most traveled corridor. As much as I hate to admit it, the automatic might make more sense.

I had been considering the TLX even if it is way too big for our needs. The lack of leather in the base model sealed it for me as a NO. I would consider the ILX Premium a viable choice.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 AM
Racer

I think I noted earlier that my 'no automatic' stance is far softer than in years past. Honolulu consistently ranks 1 or 2 for worst traffic in the country (depending on the survey) and it's only getting worse. They're starting work on our rail system and it's currently only in the outlying areas, but in the coming years it will start really disrupting traffic on the most traveled corridor. As much as I hate to admit it, the automatic might make more sense.

I had been considering the TLX even if it is way too big for our needs. The lack of leather in the base model sealed it for me as a NO. I would consider the ILX Premium a viable choice.
Totally understandable. I'm in the New York metropolitan area and traffic is heavy here as well.

I may consider a 2016 RDX as an option, if I do decide to go automatic with my next vehicle.

I have a TLX (i4) at the moment as a loner, and boy is it 'not as fun' to drive as compared to my 2.4 ILX.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Totally understandable. I'm in the New York metropolitan area and traffic is heavy here as well.

I may consider a 2016 RDX as an option, if I do decide to go automatic with my next vehicle.

I have a TLX (i4) at the moment as a loner, and boy is it 'not as fun' to drive as compared to my 2.4 ILX.
How do you like the engine in your car vs. the TLX? Being as the engines will be the same in the TLX and ILX, do you think that could kill any of the fun? Being as some new ILXs will have 18" rims, that should make it corner somewhat better, but how about that engine?
Old 11-26-2014, 12:35 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Your TL is simply STUNNING!!
Thanks. And this is why I have absolutely no reason to change the car. The 3G lacks in technology but the road presence is so strong. However I am set on the 2016 RDX MMC.

Even in stock winter mode I have to look back at her...

The following 2 users liked this post by Acura604:
Acura_Dude (12-03-2014), weather (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acura604
However I am set on the 2016 RDX MMC.
IMO, these comments reflect a lot on what is going on at Acura and in the auto world in general. I've seen it happen over and over, people with sedans switch to SUVs (or minivans) at different stages in their lives.

What so many 'haters' (for lack of a better word) fail to realize, is that the pie for sedans is shrinking. Thus, the pie for manual transmission sedans is shrinking as well. AND, the pie for FWD manual sedans is smaller still.

With the understanding that Acura isn't going to pop out a RWD chassis that sells for $30 in my lifetime (right or wrong), I can face the fact that a niche, of a niche, of a niche could face the chopping block.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
dysonlu (11-26-2014), usdmJON (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Well put.

The FWD manual sedan is a niche of a niche of a niche.

I'm sure anyone wanting a manual would be more than happy with it being RWD. And many would be happy for a coupe version. But the market for a manual isn't that small. But the market for a FWD manual is smaller and a FWD manual sedan even smaller still.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I beg to differ. I've been driving manual sedans and hatchbacks since BMW 2002. OK, that one was RWD, but since then it's been FWD.
I think the market for manual luxury sedans is gone, in this country. You can still get a manual Accord or Civic, but not an Acura. Volkswagen is not seen as a luxury car line, so they still sell manuals up and down their lineup. Not Audi.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Not sure you're even differing in your opinion. Added to our string, it becomes "is that the pie for sedans is shrinking. Thus, the pie for manual transmission sedans is shrinking as well. AND, the pie for FWD manual sedans is smaller still, especially for those in the luxury market". Thus, a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 PM
Racer

Okay. Summary: Acura killed off it's only manual because, as in the whole car market, they're disappearing, and we're upset. I'm on the same page... But at least we are left with the dual-clutch, which is better than just any automatic, so it's not the absolute end of the world... Also, since the NSX is eventually coming, and because there's a new A-Spec trim, we at least know that Acura certainly hasn't given up on its sporty side, despite the lack of manuals. Don't get me wrong, I'm mad that there won't be a manual anymore, but it makes sense why they did it, and Honda still does offer plenty of manuals.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by panamera125
Also, since the NSX is eventually coming
...and the NSX won't offer a manual either.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Racer

How do you like the engine in your car vs. the TLX? Being as the engines will be the same in the TLX and ILX, do you think that could kill any of the fun? Being as some new ILXs will have 18" rims, that should make it corner somewhat better, but how about that engine?
I prefer my ILX 2.4 engine. The TLX for sure is more refined and quieter, which is what the ILX lacks.

I didn't find the DC 2.4 in the TlX any More fun than your typical auto trans. Does it shift smoother? Sure. An auto is an auto.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spirited Driver:
panamera125 (11-27-2014), silverTL6 (11-27-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 05:12 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Iceman
Volkswagen is not seen as a luxury car line, so they still sell manuals up and down their lineup. Not Audi.
To be fair...Audi still has several MT sedans (A4, S4, and soon the S3). It's also available on the A5, S5, S1, and R8.

I'd wager they have as many, if not slightly fewer than BMW now (and only because BMW has expanded into more niches).

Once Acura moves to an all-AWD lineup, the "niche of a niche of a niche" excuse won't work anymore as they will then be associated more as a performance brand

Last edited by silverTL6; 11-27-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Okay. Summary: Acura killed off it's only manual because, as in the whole car market, they're disappearing, and we're upset. I'm on the same page... But at least we are left with the dual-clutch, which is better than just any automatic, so it's not the absolute end of the world... Also, since the NSX is eventually coming, and because there's a new A-Spec trim, we at least know that Acura certainly hasn't given up on its sporty side, despite the lack of manuals. Don't get me wrong, I'm mad that there won't be a manual anymore, but it makes sense why they did it, and Honda still does offer plenty of manuals.
I think there is also something to be said for the new management taking over and they are trying to get the lineup to the place they want it to be. It seems that the new management feels that having a manual on a "normal" trim vehicle doesn't makes sense for Acura. Here is hoping that they will have them for "sport" trims and/or have more sport focused models (i.e. - a coupe) that are manuals/offer manuals.

It also seems that the performance expectations are sort of changing for the brand so maybe they are working harder on making performance models that match up to the competition better. The ILX will be quick with the 2.4 - but it will still get outrun by a A3 2.0T Quattro and Acura doesn't have the engine yet to keep up. Making a performance 6MT SHAWD TLX with the existing 3.5L (even at 310 hp) it still probably wouldn't quite run with a 335i in terms of raw numbers...so maybe they are looking at targets and getting their own technology in order. There is also the 3 series MMC and the A4 FMC coming for MY2016 so they'll have to have some sort of response to those vehicles - makes some sense to wait and see what those bring to the table and then fire back.
The following users liked this post:
panamera125 (11-27-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 07:56 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd
There is also the 3 series MMC and the A4 FMC coming for MY2016 so they'll have to have some sort of response to those vehicles - makes some sense to wait and see what those bring to the table and then fire back.
The TLX MMC won't be until MY2018...so unless they're comfortable sitting on their laurels while the new 3er and A4 take the spotlight for 2 years, they better get that dedicated sport trim (hopefully not just A-spec) out asap
Old 11-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by silverTL6
The TLX MMC won't be until MY2018...so unless they're comfortable sitting on their laurels while the new 3er and A4 take the spotlight for 2 years, they better get that dedicated sport trim (hopefully not just A-spec) out asap
DEFINITELY agree from a comparison-test standpoint, but I think the TLX will sell well anyway. Too bad, it takes some pressure off Acura to get that possible sport trim out soon!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Banned

To be fair...Audi still has several MT sedans (A4, S4, and soon the S3). It's also available on the A5, S5, S1, and R8.

I'd wager they have as many, if not slightly fewer than BMW now (and only because BMW has expanded into more niches).

Once Acura moves to an all-AWD lineup, the "niche of a niche of a niche" excuse won't work anymore as they will then be associated more as a performance brand
Sadly, I think the only reason why Audi still has several MT sedans is, the new model hasn't come out yet. The A3 was high on my list for replacement cars until I learned there would be no manual. VWVortex says I will be able to get a manual on the new VW Golf R, but not on the new S3.

I understand some of the new BMW 2-series models can be had with a manual, but that's too small a sedan for me.

Last edited by Iceman; 11-28-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Added BMW comment
Old 11-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I understand some of the new BMW 2-series models can be had with a manual, but that's too small a sedan for me.
The BMW 2-series are only coupes (228i and M235i).
Old 11-28-2014, 10:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think Honda also is trying to make sure the categories are a little more defined. TSX was taking sales away from Accord and TL's, now the smaller ILX is not directly competing in size class. TLX is an upsell from a TSX, but for someone shopping for a full size lux/sporty sedan, its not a hard sell to make at all. This way Honda cars are not directly competing with each other. Another example is the SI. I don't think we'll see any coupes or anything smaller/sportier then the ILX from Acura for at least a few years, if ever again. Don't really think they are going to revert back to manual. Its gonna be all on SI now if you want to shift, and dedicated aftermarket (OEM as well) support in tuning.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
...and the NSX won't offer a manual either.
If its benchmark is the 458, the lack of manual is a certainty.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
If its benchmark is the 458, the lack of manual is a certainty.
Actually, I think there's probably in engineering reason. It's probably impossible to seamlessly blend the three electric motors with the gas engine if there is a crazy guy playing with a clutch. Having the computer control throttle and clutch operation is the only way to do it.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Banned

That makes sense, Colin

But this is only a problem if Honda/Acura goes all-hybrid. Is that where they're going?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Suzuka Master

I am really excited to see more information on the 2016 ILX and especially, what sort of accessories will be available with it.

I am also very curious to see if the problems that people experience with the 8 speed DCT will surface on the ILX. I find it hard to believe it won't but I could be proven wrong....Just a few more months to go.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

But this is only a problem if Honda/Acura goes all-hybrid. Is that where they're going?
I guess it depends. Honda's original IMA system was essentially an electrified flywheel that allowed a manual or automatic to be placed after it. The new systems are more powerful and thus deliver more fuel savings, but sacrifice the manual by their design. I don't think that H/A is going all hybrid, but I do think that all hybrids will skip the manual. The NSX is only going to be one drivetrain (that we know of) so by extension, no manual.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Banned

I guess it depends. Honda's original IMA system was essentially an electrified flywheel that allowed a manual or automatic to be placed after it. The new systems are more powerful and thus deliver more fuel savings, but sacrifice the manual by their design. I don't think that H/A is going all hybrid, but I do think that all hybrids will skip the manual. The NSX is only going to be one drivetrain (that we know of) so by extension, no manual.
It makes sense to me that most hybrid cars are built with automatic only. And of course, electric cars don't need clutches. My assumption is, manual transmissions are only useful with internal combustion engines. However, I still think VW has the better approach. They are building the new VW Golf with your choice of powertrains (gas, diesel, hybrid, electric), number of doors (2-door or 4), and your choice of transmissions. The only gap in their 2015 lineup bites me in the butt, however. They are not offering the VW GTI with a manual transmission and a dual-control climate system. My wife turns the heat up on her side of the car. Without dual heating controls, I'd have to take off my coat and my shirt when driving with her in Minnesota winter. You don't want to see me without my shirt on! :-)

I am sure I'll be waiting until the 2016 model year before buying a car, at which time - who knows - maybe Acura will have an enthusiast-oriented ILX with a manual transmission.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

It makes sense to me that most hybrid cars are built with automatic only

...However, I still think VW has the better approach. They are building the new VW Golf with your choice of powertrains (gas, diesel, hybrid, electric), number of doors (2-door or 4), and your choice of transmissions.

I am sure I'll be waiting until the 2016 model year before buying a car, at which time - who knows - maybe Acura will have an enthusiast-oriented ILX with a manual transmission.
You're right on point there. However, Honda has often tried to make fun to drive cars and the CR-Z Hybrid 6MT was a fun car for us. Not fast per se, but engaging to drive. However, the marketplace has spoken, and it wasn't the right car for North America.

As for VW, the Golf is a global platform with volumes that dwarf the ~16K-18K that the ILX does. It stands to reason they can 'suffer' through the industry average sales rate of 5% for manuals. 5% of 500K units is more than an entire year of ILX production.

I'm disappointed to say, but don't hold your breath for a 6MT ILX post MMC. Every car in this price range will have compromises, you noted one in your VW example. In the end, we all choose something that meets most of our needs with the fewest compromises.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think CRZ kinda just didnt make it because it was just too small (passenger wise). If it was a little bigger, like the fit, then I would have SERIOUSLY considered getting it. But right now, someone looking for a M/T small sporty car, especially a hatchback, decent on gas, is probably looking at FRS. Not even BRZ. FRS is selling way more.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:24 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
I think the TLX was done before the new management took over and I think the TLX - while a good car - may not have everything the new planning team wants. With the ILX, RDX and MDX all getting updates this year I'm guessing the 2016 TLX will have only very minor changes if any - however the ILX makes it obvious that changes are coming! I'm thinking that Acura will do something similar to what Caddy did with the ATS Coupe - introduce new bits and then apply those to the sedan later - this of course assumes a coupe is coming, which seems fairly certain.

Sorry I meant to say that the 2018 MMC date is accurate but with the MDX (apparently) getting updated a year early - rumored to be because the Pilot was getting new tech and Acura wanted it first - don't be surprised to see early updates for the TLX - turbos are coming and Acura is almost certainly going to want them.

Last edited by iutodd; 12-30-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 12-31-2014, 01:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Was at the dealer today, the part of the door handle that covers the lock on driver side fell off. It had been loose for a little bit, was gonna get the dealership to look at it, didnt seem to big of a deal at the time. Till it actually fell off. Covered under warranty, they just ordered a new one. But I have to turn in the old one, so lucky it happened at my house before I even left.
Saw the TLX for the first time up close. This car is SEXY - saw it in black, LOVE black cars, this thing was awesome. It looks smaller then the previous TL, looks TSX size, which to me is a great thing. Way more aero and refined, last TL was HUGE, like driving a boat. TLX is just super nice. When my sister graduates Registered Nursing school in about 6 months, and lands a steady job, I am SO going to try get her to buy the TLX.... She has a 95 Accord for now, and that thing is definitely gonna die soon.

Quick Reply: 2016 MMC ILX spied