2016 MMC ILX spied

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
It was on Facebook and I screen capped it and arranged the lettering to be beside the picture. I just went to go grab the link to the video but Acura has removed it and replaced with with a new video with the correct 2016 model year.

lol

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 11-18-2014, 04:04 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
It's real. @acura has a short clip on their instagram page.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:23 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
The one I saw says "power meets luxury". If they removed that slogan that means they are toning it down a bit. So, I guess, lets just set expectations low...

But based on the range of engines they have available to them, based on what has been published in the last year or so, the 280 hp 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine that went into the Euro Civic R may be coming to the ILX too ?
Old 11-18-2014, 04:26 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
The one I saw says "power meets luxury". If they removed that slogan that means they are toning it down a bit. So, I guess, lets just set expectations low...

But based on the range of engines they have available to them, based on what has been published in the last year or so, the 280 hp 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine that went into the Euro Civic R may be coming to the ILX too ?
good luck with your turbo dreams.
the only logical power train choice is the 2.4 + 8DCT combo.

remember, Acura wants a sport car, not a sports car.
(sounds like Engrish to me)
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by xtcnrice
It's real. @acura has a short clip on their instagram page.
It's real but the part that says 2015 is wrong. Hence why I thought it was fake.
The clip on ig says 2016.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by silverTL6
When you start dreaming about these things, that's when you know you're obsessed
Is that why I dream about sex all the time?!?!?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
2.4 + 8DCT is now certain (remember the 8DCT won't take 280 hp). Base, Premium and Tech continue. No MT. Plus, 3 new model designations that have not been defined/explained at this time. Maybe the on 20th.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
justnspace (11-19-2014), TSX69 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ So it's confirmed? The manual is dead?

I wonder if we'll be blessed with the hard shifting DCT tranny as well....??
Old 11-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
^^ So it's confirmed? The manual is dead?

I wonder if we'll be blessed with the hard shifting DCT tranny as well....??
Clearly that's the plan. It still shifts faster than I do with my MT. As for the hard shifting, no problem for me. I still maintain it has nothing to do with the DCT itself (in the TLX) and everything to do with the motor and transmission mounts. I honestly don't get the whining and I have zero customer comments on the transmission operation.

That said, I still don't know if I'll get one now. I've significantly softened my stance on 'no automatic' in recent years as our local traffic has gotten worse and my knees cannot stand 1 hour+ in traffic. I've never owned an auto in 30+ years of car ownership... this is traumatic.

Last edited by Colin; 11-18-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Thanks for the information. I never owned a manual but was hoping that this would be my first but obviously not. I am not adverse to an automatic transmission, in fact, I always enjoyed them as long as they are quick shifting and problem free.

I agree that people may over exaggerate the issue with the TLX...I don't own one but it is hard to just get one when I read so many people having issues or concerned about their car. Most people here aren't whiners or complain for the sake of complaining so either its a feature of how the DCT is suppose to be and people are used to it, or there is a real problem. I am not in a good position to tell one way or the other.

I test drove both and for me, I saw no problems with the DCT on the model I test drove but the 9 speed was so disappointing that it turned me right off. I am willing to give it another shot but right now, if I had to favor a tranny, the DCT would be the one despite the hard shifting. I'd rather deal with one that shift hard and I can feel it than one that just doesn't want to shift at all ( I know I am exaggerating here).

Now I have to ask...why would Acura give an ILX with a ~205hp and an 8 speed DCT and a TLX with the exact same power train? Is size will be what separates both model?

Perplexed....time for another glass of wine *lol*
Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I test drove both and for me, I saw no problems with the DCT on the model ...I'd rather deal with one that shift hard and I can feel it than one that just doesn't want to shift at all ( I know I am exaggerating here).

Now I have to ask...why would Acura give an ILX with a ~205hp and an 8 speed DCT and a TLX with the exact same power train? Is size will be what separates both model?
It's funny, we're talking milliseconds for gear changes in general and smaller differences between the two transmissions. Maybe I'm just nuts, but there are dozens of moving, whirring parts in the drivetrain, I just don't expect it to do the job without any noise or feel. I just don't get what people expect (which leads me to the conclusion that 'some' complain just to complain).

As for differentiation, they're different chassis' with different sizes. This is more differentiation than the 3 and 5 which are based on the same chassis and share engines. Again, I don't get what people expect. Also, remember that we don't know the power rating yet, but if they detuned it to create separation, (some) people here would scream like a suck pig. If they make it the same, people will complain.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
2.4 + 8DCT is now certain (remember the 8DCT won't take 280 hp). Base, Premium and Tech continue. No MT. Plus, 3 new model designations that have not been defined/explained at this time. Maybe the on 20th.
If the Premium is continuing I'm guessing the jewel eyes aren't on the base trim.

3 new model designations? I'm guessing this is in your dealer system? They're already popping up?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iutodd
If the Premium is continuing I'm guessing the jewel eyes aren't on the base trim.
Unless, they've found something else to separate them.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Racer

Well...yeah I guess so. I haven't done a full comparison but I feel like the base TLX offers a lot more than the base ILX. I'm guessing all the features from the base TLX will get split over the Base and Premium ILX - with maybe an active safety thing or ELS or real leather thrown at the Premium trim. I'm assuming CMBS will be offered on the ILX so without an Advance trim maybe Acura will package everything together on the Tech ILX and have no active safety stuff on the lower two trims.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:44 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Is that why I dream about sex all the time?!?!?
Lol...according to wikipedia "Sigmund Freud...explained dreams as manifestations of our deepest desires and anxieties, often relating to repressed childhood memories or obsessions"

Old 11-19-2014, 05:51 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

If the rumor about all 2016 models getting (SH-)AWD is true, perhaps the 3 new designations are AWD Base, Premium, Tech?

Sigh...not sure if getting AWD is worth the loss of 6MT
leo (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:21 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
They have, and you will see soon.

Additional upgrade touches, including the electronics. Premium adds more to upgrade interior further, then Tech adds what it normally adds. More to be seen soon

Originally Posted by silverTL6
If the rumor about all 2016 models getting (SH-)AWD is true, perhaps the 3 new designations are AWD Base, Premium, Tech?

Sigh...not sure if getting AWD is worth the loss of 6MT
Wrong on all accounts, and AWD had nothing to do with 2016, it is just a thinking view moving forward...not just a next year thing. You can't change something that massively for a mid cycle refresh anyway.

Think of this as improvements everyone will love, except for those 2-3 people on forums who are the only 2-3 people wanting an oddball configuration no one bought anyway.

More to come tomorrow.

Last edited by beach109; 11-19-2014 at 06:23 AM.
JeffS (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Clearly that's the plan. It still shifts faster than I do with my MT. As for the hard shifting, no problem for me. I still maintain it has nothing to do with the DCT itself (in the TLX) and everything to do with the motor and transmission mounts. I honestly don't get the whining and I have zero customer comments on the transmission operation.

That said, I still don't know if I'll get one now. I've significantly softened my stance on 'no automatic' in recent years as our local traffic has gotten worse and my knees cannot stand 1 hour+ in traffic. I've never owned an auto in 30+ years of car ownership... this is traumatic.
There is more to driving a manual than just shifting fast. You would know in 30 years of driving one. Control it gives you in unparalleled by any Auto. I test drove the Base TLX to replace my 6MT TSX SE and lack of manual was all could think of. Later that day I drove in Accord Sport 6MT and saved my self bunch of money. It is no Acura but it is same 6MT as my TSX and engine is the same TLX with less compression ratio.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by iamitman
There is more to driving a manual than just shifting fast. You would know in 30 years of driving one. Control it gives you in unparalleled by any Auto. I test drove the Base TLX to replace my 6MT TSX SE and lack of manual was all could think of. Later that day I drove in Accord Sport 6MT and saved my self bunch of money. It is no Acura but it is same 6MT as my TSX and engine is the same TLX with less compression ratio.
yes, but the (sales) numbers dont lie.
in this segment, not a lot of people prefer manuals.
Also, you must have not driven a DCT.
A DCT allows you to have the same control over the transmission as a manual.
so, you have quicker shifts and control.

that's more pros for the DCT than a manual.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:49 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by justnspace
good luck with your turbo dreams.
the only logical power train choice is the 2.4 + 8DCT combo.

remember, Acura wants a sport car, not a sports car.
(sounds like Engrish to me)
Yeah, you probably right. Given the recent TLX prototype bait and switch, I am not holding my breath for anything spectacular. Probably something conservative that is blah. If these guys want to penetrate the European market with the ILX too (just like they are trying with the MDX and TLX) they better come up with something that will render the Germans obsolete. But no.... they'll pull another TLX switchaboo. Oh well...
Old 11-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Of course I know that. When I was 31 it was not even an option (assumes your profile age is correct), but today, my stance has softened. With this pending change, it might be the final push to 'force' the issue.

I read your post on getting the Accord and even replied (not sure if you saw it since it got buried in the "lazy" automatic driver fracas). I wrote:
IMO, stories like this are normal and should be expected. The Accord sells in a volume that is up to 10 times greater than the TLX is projected to. It may end up 'only' being 8-1 if the TLX does really well, but it stands to reason that many people will find the Accord the better car for them for any number of reasons.
Anyway, the Accord is not an option for me since it's 191" long. Leasing a Honda will cost me more than leasing an Acura as well. But mostly, I have no need for 4 doors and even less for a large mid-sized sedan if the only goal was to get an MT. AND for me personally this need has lessened in importance for the reasons I stated earlier. This has me thinking... was the ILX Premium MT the last Honda or Acura sold with a manual + leather? I think so.
justnspace (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
. This has me thinking... was the ILX Premium MT the last Honda or Acura sold with a manual + leather? I think so.
We're getting there. The Accord Coupe V6 can still be had in a leather + manual, but that's the only thing left that I can think of.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:49 PM
Racer

yes, but the (sales) numbers dont lie.
in this segment, not a lot of people prefer manuals.
Also, you must have not driven a DCT.
A DCT allows you to have the same control over the transmission as a manual.
so, you have quicker shifts and control.

that's more pros for the DCT than a manual.
You can't sell what you don't offer. Demand for MT is there (maybe be 5%) but it is still there. I drove the DCT because that is what a base TLX. It was harsh shifts, and it will shift for you if you "forget". And you must have never driven a stick to say an Auto anything gives you more control. Most people will never use the paddle shifters.
silverTL6 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
We're getting there. The Accord Coupe V6 can still be had in a leather + manual, but that's the only thing left that I can think of.
Crazy huh?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Racer

Of course I know that. When I was 31 it was not even an option (assumes your profile age is correct), but today, my stance has softened. With this pending change, it might be the final push to 'force' the issue.

I read your post on getting the Accord and even replied (not sure if you saw it since it got buried in the "lazy" automatic driver fracas). I wrote:

Anyway, the Accord is not an option for me since it's 191" long. Leasing a Honda will cost me more than leasing an Acura as well. But mostly, I have no need for 4 doors and even less for a large mid-sized sedan if the only goal was to get an MT. AND for me personally this need has lessened in importance for the reasons I stated earlier. This has me thinking... was the ILX Premium MT the last Honda or Acura sold with a manual + leather? I think so.
I really hope they keep one Manual in the stable. I mean it will be one luxury car ever manual driver will opt for. Yes I am 31 and hope there will be a Manual for my next car available.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:00 PM

You can't sell what you don't offer. Demand for MT is there (maybe be 5%) but it is still there. I drove the DCT because that is what a base TLX. It was harsh shifts, and it will shift for you if you "forget". And you must have never driven a stick to say an Auto anything gives you more control. Most people will never use the paddle shifters.
<-------06 TL 6MT.

anyway, acura has offered 6MT's and the take rate is so low, lower than your 5% guess.
So, they DO HAVE the numbers supporting their decision to PULL manual transmissions.

Colin, how many 6MT ILX's were sold?
Old 11-19-2014, 02:07 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Originally Posted by beach109
They have, and you will see soon.

Additional upgrade touches, including the electronics. Premium adds more to upgrade interior further, then Tech adds what it normally adds. More to be seen soon

Wrong on all accounts, and AWD had nothing to do with 2016, it is just a thinking view moving forward...not just a next year thing. You can't change something that massively for a mid cycle refresh anyway.

Think of this as improvements everyone will love, except for those 2-3 people on forums who are the only 2-3 people wanting an oddball configuration no one bought anyway.

More to come tomorrow.
If you have more details, why wait til tomorrow to spill the beans?

And pretty sure there's more than 2-3 people who still want the 6MT, let alone one with the tech package. Otherwise why offer it in Canada but not in the US?
Old 11-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Colin, how many 6MT ILX's were sold?
I can't speak for national stats, but we sold about 210 ILXs for the 2014 model year. Of these exactly 10 were manuals (and 2 of these were employees). This includes the 3 that Acura sent us mixed in with our first batch of 2015s. We never actually ordered them. Had these not arrived, we would have sold 7.

Last edited by Colin; 11-19-2014 at 02:33 PM.
justnspace (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 02:57 PM

thank you.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Getting a 6MT CR-Z was a pain, we had to wait 2 months and get our second color choice, otherwise it would have been a full year's wait.

Honda really needs to step up their availability.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

I can't speak for national stats, but we sold about 210 ILXs for the 2014 model year. Of these exactly 10 were manuals (and 2 of these were employees). This includes the 3 that Acura sent us mixed in with our first batch of 2015s. We never actually ordered them. Had these not arrived, we would have sold 7.
Damn. So in 2014 you guys sold 200 5AT/hybrids and only 10 6MT?

Wow. So add the manual trans to the list of "forum goer" specific wants/needs. Along with minimal overhang, visible exhaust, and no beak.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Yeah, it's a 'chicken and egg' kinda thing. At the rate people buy them, it's hard to build and inventory them and provide selection. They used to say that you have to stock 3 for every 1 car you sell per month. That ratio won't work for manuals.

I'm not sure of the solution, but I was thinking that maybe they could state up front that they're only making manuals for 2 years in a 'limited run' and if demand is there, they could make more. However, during this compressed (2 years of a 5 year run), they would make an adequate number for everyone to have some selection. By stating the intention early, people know they have to do. No easy answer.
justnspace (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Racer

Yeah, it's a 'chicken and egg' kinda thing. At the rate people buy them, it's hard to build and inventory them and provide selection. They used to say that you have to stock 3 for every 1 car you sell per month. That ratio won't work for manuals.

I'm not sure of the solution, but I was thinking that maybe they could state up front that they're only making manuals for 2 years in a 'limited run' and if demand is there, they could make more. However, during this compressed (2 years of a 5 year run), they would make an adequate number for everyone to have some selection. By stating the intention early, people know they have to do. No easy answer.
This isn't a fully thought out idea yet but what if they only shipped manuals to certain dealers? Instead of trying to give each one of the 1000 Honda dealers an allotment of stick shifts they decided to pick out 50-100 (in big cities in the states) and used those as sort of "Factory Stores/Distribution Centers" for stick shift cars? Right now, on cars.com, there are only 65 stick shifts out of 1844 Honda's within 50 miles of me. That's 3.5%. Just give them all to one dealer and give that dealer a great selection and a great experience for the buyer instead of spreading them out and offering not enough selection at each dealer. People already bend over backwards to get manuals - I feel like they'd drive a little farther to get one.

Dealerhips not in a big city are trickier obviously.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

This isn't a fully thought out idea yet but what if they only shipped manuals to certain dealers? Instead of trying to give each one of the 1000 Honda dealers an allotment of stick shifts they decided to pick out 50-100 (in big cities in the states) and used those as sort of "Factory Stores/Distribution Centers" for stick shift cars? Right now, on cars.com, there are only 65 stick shifts out of 1844 Honda's within 50 miles of me. That's 3.5%. Just give them all to one dealer and give that dealer a great selection and a great experience for the buyer instead of spreading them out and offering not enough selection at each dealer. People already bend over backwards to get manuals - I feel like they'd drive a little farther to get one.

Dealers still have to buy the inventory. Who would want to be stuck with that many, be forced to hold them for 150 days, and then sell them at a loss? In the end, there is no business case for manuals, only intangibles such as 'keeping enthusiasts happy', 'good for image' or some other factor.

Please note that I'm balancing my personal desire for manuals, with the business side of working in the car biz. Please don't jump all over me as if I were saying that I "don't want manuals".
Old 11-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Ban the manual hater!!
Colin (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The non-stocking of manuals was (probably) the reason why I had to "settle" for Crimson Garnet, instead of the Polished Metal Metallic I wanted, when I got my ILX in May 2013.

I'd be disappointed to see the manual option go away, especially this manual which is probably the best I've ever driven. I got the ILX because it was the only car that had exactly what I was looking for: a semi-upscale small sedan with leather, moonroof, some luxury amenities, and a stick. I haven't soured on driving stick yet since I moved to L.A. (I've driven sticks exclusively for 25 years, hence I'm so used to it it hardly matters what traffic is like), and I have a year and a half left on the lease, but if there's no manual option for the next ILX then I might either (1) buy my current car, or (2) look elsewhere.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:59 PM

I want to go in business with this guy.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Racer

So you sold 10 out of 10 and 3 you didn't even order! Sounds like there is a demand. How many people bought an auto just because they couldn't find a manual? I am sure they can sell couple 1000 a year and keep the people like me happy. I would have went for the ILX but knew that a major refresh is coming and they likely won't offer manual. Hope they prove me wrong tomorrow!

Save the manuals!
Old 11-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Racer

Here is a good read for you all.

Understanding What's Really Killing the Manual Transmission - Road & Track

"he Volkswagen GTI is perhaps the best example. Originally offered with only a manual transmission, the archetypal hot hatch gained three additional letters—DSG—in 2006, for its fifth generation. That optional dual-clutch auto, with its lack of a third pedal, wasn't a power-sapping torque-converter 'box but what forum fanboys called a performance enhancer. And because it made the GTI even quicker on the dash to 60 mph—and easier to drive fast on a track—people said it would be the final nail in the manual's coffin.

There was no coffin. GTI sales doubled, and half of the car's buyers still chose the clutch pedal. That means the "take rate," an industry term for the portion of customers who select a particular option or configuration, dropped from 100 percent to 50. But the number of stick-shift GTIs sold held steady.

READ THIS: First Drive: 2015 Volkswagen GTI

In the nine model years since the DSG debuted, the GTI's manual-transmission take rate hasn't dropped. In 2012 (the last full year for which VW has sales information), some 7830 manual GTIs were sold here. That's 500 cars more than what the three-pedal GTI has averaged here each year since 1983. So how, exactly, is the manual transmission doomed?"
Old 11-19-2014, 06:07 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Getting a 6MT CR-Z was a pain, we had to wait 2 months and get our second color choice, otherwise it would have been a full year's wait.

The tsunami (March 2011) put a dent in production all over Japan. The flooding in the Phillipines also made it worse.

Quick Reply: 2016 MMC ILX spied