2016 ILX can come with the AWD system!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Thumbs up 2016 ILX can come with the AWD system!

Thanks to Corey_Straker from the TL forums.

https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/some-stuff-our-recent-tlx-training-tx-909064/

Originally Posted by Corey_Straker
ILX (2016) or early next year
- 4 cylinder TLX 2.4 Engine
- Jewel Eye Headlights
- ODMD ( that touch screen system you see in the MDX/RLX )
- AcuraLink
- Improved Smartphone Integration
- Other options will arise closer to it's launch date

The ability to get AWD in every model will happen by 2016. So an AWD ILX is CONFIRMED.
Hoping it will be the SH-AWD and not the RDX AWD system that will be included in the ILX.
The following 2 users liked this post by internalaudit:
pdpgps (04-30-2014), VckPtl (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Hmm....interesting...

I wonder how much of a redesign they are going to do to accommodate the headlights? The interior center stack is going to have to be totally modified to allow that dual screen setup to look right.

Most importantly, how will this affect the price?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd would love to have jewel eye headlights.
The following users liked this post:
VckPtl (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Damn. That shit cray.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:42 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
More importantly in the short run, if that is the planned change for the 2016 model, then how does the 2015 fit in?

I had a feeling the ILX was going to be more like the TLX as soon as they announced the move of production shift, which is fantastic!

For us current ILXers who may not upgrade right away, this is welcoming news because our trade values should should hold, no? The assumption is that the 2016 ILX sells well, of course.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Hmm....interesting...

I wonder how much of a redesign they are going to do to accommodate the headlights? The interior center stack is going to have to be totally modified to allow that dual screen setup to look right.
I'm not sure that its that hard. As I look at the dash, the entire section below the top screen and the HVAC controls is a sub-panel. I could see them simply removing that and replacing it with the new screen. I'm sure they planned for it all along, same for Jewel Eyes. I'm guessing the entire headlight assembly pops out and a new assembly goes in. Even easier if it coincides with the normal MMC upgrades to the bumper caps.

I'm more curious about the 2.4 engine. What transmission are they pairing it with? The 8 speed DCT or the CVT from the Accord? We know the CVT is very compact, but is the 8 DCT smaller than the current 5AT? It's been my understanding that this combo (current 2.4+5AT) is slightly too long for the engine bay. Is the new 2.4 smaller or is the savings coming from the transmission?

Last edited by Colin; 04-14-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Fingers crossed the center console can be upgraded as well as the jewel eyes... I wont lie Id rather have the touch screen console than the jewels.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
^dibs on your centre console and lcd screen
Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't mind having a touchscreen console, as long as they leave the HVAC/deforsters, heated seats as regular buttons/dials!!!!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I'm not sure that its that hard. As I look at the dash, the entire section below the top screen and the HVAC controls is a sub-panel. I could see them simply removing that and replacing it with the new screen. I'm sure they planned for it all along, same for Jewel Eyes. I'm guessing the entire headlight assembly pops out and a new assembly goes in. Even easier if it coincides with the normal MMC upgrades to the bumper caps.

I'm more curious about the 2.4 engine. What transmission are they pairing it with? The 8 speed DCT or the CVT from the Accord? We know the CVT is very compact, but is the 8 DCT smaller than the current 5AT? It's been my understanding that this combo (current 2.4+5AT) is slightly too long for the engine bay. Is the new 2.4 smaller or is the savings coming from the transmission?
I would guess the 8DCT. Seems like it would not make sense to mate it to another transmission if that is the one that is going to provide the serious performance and fuel economy benefits.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Pretty cool stuff to see. 2016 can't come soon enough.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
the car needs a refresh. My guess is both the RDX and ILX get MMC refreshes for the 2016 model year because Acura is very conservative. They probably should do it for 2015 but Acura likes to wait. The RDX had to wait because the MDX is new and they didn't want to take sales away. The ILX has to wait because the TLX is new and they don't want to take sales away from that new vehicle.

The RDX had 0 changes this year or last and has less features than a Jeep Cherokee and Ford Escape.

The ILX is also falling behind where it is underpowered vs the IS, CLA, A3, 3 series, etc... and has less features then the 2015 Chevy Cruze and VW Jetta (similar size). They probably need to add an advanced trim for the newer safety features that many cars are offering now. Also, the Jetta has a better engine for a less expensive car (more HP and torque with similar fuel economy).
Old 04-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wildeklave
the car needs a refresh. My guess is both the RDX and ILX get MMC refreshes for the 2016 model year because Acura is very conservative. They probably should do it for 2015 but Acura likes to wait. The RDX had to wait because the MDX is new and they didn't want to take sales away. The ILX has to wait because the TLX is new and they don't want to take sales away from that new vehicle.

The RDX had 0 changes this year or last and has less features than a Jeep Cherokee and Ford Escape.

The ILX is also falling behind where it is underpowered vs the IS, CLA, A3, 3 series, etc... and has less features then the 2015 Chevy Cruze and VW Jetta (similar size). They probably need to add an advanced trim for the newer safety features that many cars are offering now. Also, the Jetta has a better engine for a less expensive car (more HP and torque with similar fuel economy).
I agree with the bold. The ILX doesnt NEED an upgrade. Its finally starting to catch on. And after just receiving a a number 1 spot as a consumer choice if I remember correctly it will probably pick up a little more.

Though my main discrepancy is with the comparison to the vehicles mentioned, i.e. Lexus, CLA, Audi, and BMW.
These cars have been a distinguished luxury car in my opinion longer than Acura. So they will obviously be the choice of those wanting that specifically as well as those who simply want the big names they hear often.

These cars however, the A3, CLA, the cheapest BMW, they all go fo a minimum of the BEST ILX on the market. So comparing the two in flattering for the ILX, regardless of how poorly it does in contrast.

They cost easily 10grand more... some 20g since the best ILX will fetch maybe $33,000 where as a CLA with all the bells and whistles is nearer the cost of the last gen TL than the 2013 ILX.

I do say I LOVE that people compare my car with Audis, say it looks kind of like and Lexus, and that a few will even say they'd easily take an ILX over an entry level Merc.

I may be bias but I love my ILX tech. At around $30,000 Id say it was a better choice than I could have gone with a CLA. Especially considering I like to mod my cars. Yes the CLA is quicker but it would have cost more to simply change. Not my thing.
aomechmarine (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
definitely not trying to be a dick, but the cars compared to the ILX in wildeklave's comparison are quite literally ridiculous. RWD, much more horsepower, and much more luxury. Also much more expensive. Solid 100% luxury sport full-sized sedans vs compact entry level sedan. They are not in the same category at all. Even the TSX loses those comparisons. The new TL would be more comparable, and would still lose (but not necessarily get blown out of the water). The new TLX will be more of a contender. The new all wheel drive RLX could potentially smoke these cars, but again, you are jumping price points and car sizes.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by aomechmarine
definitely not trying to be a dick, but the cars compared to the ILX in wildeklave's comparison are quite literally ridiculous. RWD, much more horsepower, and much more luxury. Also much more expensive. Solid 100% luxury sport full-sized sedans vs compact entry level sedan. They are not in the same category at all. Even the TSX loses those comparisons. The new TL would be more comparable, and would still lose (but not necessarily get blown out of the water). The new TLX will be more of a contender. The new all wheel drive RLX could potentially smoke these cars, but again, you are jumping price points and car sizes.
Well is Acura a luxury brand that competes with Lexus, Infiniti, Volvo, Mercedes, Audi, and BMW or not? Honda competes with Toyota, Nissan, VW, Hyundai, and other non-luxury brands. The super luxury is like a Porsche or Jaguar.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I would guess the 8DCT. Seems like it would not make sense to mate it to another transmission if that is the one that is going to provide the serious performance and fuel economy benefits.
I would love to see the TLX drivetrain in the ILX but somehow, I think it's unlikely. While others may use the same drivetrain through different sized cars, past history suggests that Acura wouldn't. The Civic has a CVT this year, but not with a K24 engine. The Accord has a K24 with CVT but will it fit? Which is easier to implement? My guess is the later.

Well is Acura a luxury brand that competes with Lexus, Infiniti, Volvo, Mercedes, Audi, and BMW or not?
Of course they are, but not every model has a direct competitor. Also, even if one is created, the target is always moving and shifting. Most would agree that the RDX and X3 compete in the marketplace. However, with the new X1 things have clouded as BMW would like you to believe that the X1 is the 'real' competitor to the RDX.

Also, "compete" does not mean "win". It means to enter into a competition where even if you are outsold, you still challenge the other guy. If for example, between CR-V and RDX production they are at max capacity, then they know the RDX will never outsell the X3, but 'stealing' 40K annual sales is still a 'win' for the company.

IMO, the A3 and CLA are not direct competitors to the ILX because Audi and Merc, made sure they wouldn't be. Yes, they are the entry level cars for each brand, but there is a huge price delta that keeps them from butting heads.
aomechmarine (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Well is Acura a luxury brand that competes with Lexus, Infiniti, Volvo, Mercedes, Audi, and BMW or not? Honda competes with Toyota, Nissan, VW, Hyundai, and other non-luxury brands. The super luxury is like a Porsche or Jaguar.
Acura may indeed be a luxury brand with certain models but that's not the ILX. Not even close.

I had the opportunity to drive a 2013 loaner from the dealer with 300 miles on it. It was noisy, and not very luxurious at all. Push to start had a solenoid sound that was rather annoying. Dash seemed cheap. Console very cheap.

The ILX and TSX lines are not meant to compete at the luxury level. The road noise alone disqualifies them from that.
The following 2 users liked this post by EricInMaryland:
aomechmarine (04-15-2014), hadokenuh (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I own the 2.4 liter ILX and I love my car. It meets my needs for now. But like I said, it's in it's own category. I am in the exact demographic it was aimed at. Young (25-35, maybe up to 45) mostly male, young professional/ recent college grad, tired of/looking to step up from a Honda/Toyota/similar, first/most affordable "nice"/"new" car. It is what it is man. I can tell you a few things about this world which may come off as bleak, but it's just reality. I am recently off of Active duty Marine Corps. I am currently applying for government/professional type jobs. Jobs that require extensive background checks, high security clearances. Gonna be real here. People go off of "face value". You show up in a modified Civic SI with some "Illest" stickers and loud exhaust - you are automatically deemed immature and your resume is gonna get "lost". You'd be better off showing up in a nice, safe, and boring Accord. Then there's girls. I'm not talking about girlfriend/wife material here. I'm talking about casual dating. My car has VIP mods and chromed stock wheels. I hear it from girls all the time - "Is that your car?! WOW!" or "WOW! - YOU drive an Acura?!" "WOW Nice car!" Etc. I'm not saying this too brag, realistically a lot of Acuraziners will have nicer cars then me- seeing as how the ILX is the bottom rung of Acura. But the car still gets girls attention - The Acura badge is doing some series damage. Superficial? Very much so. But I live in the world that is, not the world that should be.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I agree with EricInMaryland. To be honest I'm not really sure what the ILX competes with. I actually think the 2.4L competes with the Buick Regal Turbo (Buick is still more $$ but somewhat close)

It's a semi-luxury car that can usually be purchased for less than $30K. VERY small category

Couple other contenders in price range include the Avalon, Premium Passat, 4dr GTI. (all are very close to $30K, maybe a bit higher)

But those aren't the traditional "luxury brands". Someone show me a brand new "Luxury Brand" car with the same features as the ILX for under $30K.....? Even harder try to find a 6-speed manual "sports edition" luxury brand for under $30K.

When I test drove the ILX the only cars I looked at were the Buick Regal Turbo and the 4 Door GTI. I went with Acura because of brand name/reputation BUT the Buick Regal was a lot of car for the same price and AWD and a bit faster 0-60 and 1/4 Mile
Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Sooooo, I guess we can conclude that your perception of 'luxury' and 'image' is relative to where you are in life. Imagine that.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

@ Colin - or the simple fact that MOST girls don't know squat about cars. To an average dumb chick Acura = money, young,cool. Honda, Toyota, Nissan = boring, safe, cheap. Bmw, Lexus, Mercedes, etc = lots of money. Again - face value. The average person is very judgmental whether they admit it or not. Girls get hit on, and discriminate amongst those pursuing them to pick their best choice. Guys pursue, so thats where you get into status symbols and "hey this where I'm at in life" cars. Sure, say I'm full of B.S. Just go to the club in a fixed up Hachiroku. Or go in a brand new civic. Off face value (to a girl) - New car destroys old car. Your old gt86 will look ratchet as hell to an average girl. Most will not now its a beast drift machine. Girls are superficial as hell. It's just how it is.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
ILX =1.5 liter turbo with 8psd DC auto

I saw a picture of an an Ilx somewhere on the internet that had a 1.5 ltr turbo with an 8 spd dual clutch A/T that was being tested as a replacement for the current 2.4 engine. I believe Acura will have to go with a smaller engine to put a A/T in it. I like the looks of the current ILX HID headlights and am not a big fan of the jewel eyes. I have a 2014 ILX 2.4 and am an old geezer of 65 and love the car. It's a blast to drive.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
65 geezer rocking the 6 speed! That's great man!

Forgot about another ride that compares decently with the ILX - the Kia Optima turbo. Faster and about the same price. Again, it's not a luxury brand by any means.

Interesting topic - I've never really thought which cars directly compete with the 2.4l version. What does everyone else think? Under say $33k, sport model, pretty fast? Thoughts. Wrong thread I'm sure but what the heck

Oh and 2014 model

Last edited by OSUBeaver; 04-15-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:13 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by internalaudit
Thanks to Corey_Straker from the TL forums.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909064

Hoping it will be the SH-AWD and not the RDX AWD system that will be included in the ILX.
Hi -- I know this is an old thread, but I found it by a google search for ILX AWD.

So -- is is true?? My dealer says it isn't.
I would love for it to be true, because I have a 1st gen TSX, which I love but heck, it has 218K miles now, and anyway I really kind of need an AWD.
And, while the TLX seems to be looking good, it's just bigger of a car than what I like.

So, do y'all know if it's really true that ILX is expected to come with AWD in the next year or two?
Old 10-13-2014, 12:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo!!

ILX SH-awd turbo! please!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My guess for MMC upgrades for ILX would be,

-1.5L turbo mated to either old 6 speed automatic transmission or 8 speed DCT, providing 170-180 hp with 40 MPG highway mileage and option for SH-AWD for 8 speed DCT model
-Honda is suppose to launch Type R in Europe with 2.0L turbo making 280 hp, but won't be there for next year ILX for sure though...
Old 10-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by csj0219
My guess for MMC upgrades for ILX would be,

-1.5L turbo mated to either old 6 speed automatic transmission or 8 speed DCT, providing 170-180 hp with 40 MPG highway mileage and option for SH-AWD for 8 speed DCT model
-Honda is suppose to launch Type R in Europe with 2.0L turbo making 280 hp, but won't be there for next year ILX for sure though...
Ummmmmm.... NO. Where are you guys getting these MPG numbers from? What the heck dude? TURBO guys -cmon. I know there has been some decent/good MPG numbers coming from smaller liter turbo's, but i really really think thats unrealistic.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well, now that we know Acura is considering a push toward standard AWD. The 2016 ILX will most likely come with it as an option.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:19 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Very nervous for this update. ILX 2.4 would be my dream car, I just want a little more power and more tech on the inside. Love the way it looks and the engine/transmission. Also would like some fatter tires... This could be my first car
Old 10-18-2014, 06:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Confused about your post. This could be your dream (and first) car and yet your signature lists all teh vehicles you had a Porsche Panemara.....
silverTL6 (10-21-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 11:34 AM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
Pshhhh... The Panamera ain't got nothin' on the ILX. I'm sure most Panamera owners wish they would've bought one instead.