Old 07-13-2015, 08:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
If you dont have a defouler then yes.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by k24ilx
I know why I'm getting a CEL its because I have no catalytic converters, has nothing to do with flow. I would NOT recommend the Injen intake, if you do some research you will find that the stock intake that has been developed for this car is actually alright. One of the few if not the only intake that has been proven to give some gains for the k24 is the PRL SRI. (requires a tune) Here are some links to some info on the best parts/dyno tests/research by VitViper himself. This is the reason I chose the parts that I have not because Injen says ill gain "Up to 16 HP and 12 ft.lbs TQ" .

From Vit's Blog
"from 1700 rpm til 2500 rpm — as much as 12 ft lbs of torque to the wheels will definitely be something you can feel during normal stop and go driving. Slight loss from 2750 rpm to 3000 rpm though — nothing major. And no real gains until after ~ 5700 rpm, with a maximum of 4.5whp was had from 6750 rpm til 7000 rpm."

how does this intake make gains of 4.5hp and 12 ft lbs around the power band but Injen claims 16hp/12tq ? seems like some bullshit to me.

Did you race these guys on a track? Any tuned Si should easily pull away from you and if it didn't, I would blame the driver, not the car.

2012+ Honda Civic Si RBC Intake Manifold Test | VitTuned Blog
The RBC Dilemma (free VitTuned offer for one lucky bloke) | 9th Generation Honda Civic Forum
InjenŽ SP1575P - SP Series Cold Air Intake System (Polished)
I did not track race or street race. i just know of some SAFE areas to go get some runs in with buddies. The claim that it is driver error vs car performance is fair. But regardless, it happened a lot more then once.
Stock ILX vs a Civic SI with some basic mods. Yep, ILX wins. Its lighter, probably the driver is better, etc. But it wins.

I have heard positive things about the PRL intake. Injen makes those claims because they are one of the only companies actually doing rounds of dyno tuning on their products. My car was round 2 of the dyno tested intake. Are the numbers correct? A lot of dyno's seem to throw out different numbers, so mostly I just like knowing that they test out and research their products. Buttdyno is not accurate, but tells me HP definitely gained. Can't wait till actual tune.

*to answer your question, the PRL is actually basically the same design as the Injen intake - on top of that - you seem to be mistaking WHP gains vs HP gains. The link for the PRL showed WHP gains. The Injen intake numbers are HP gains, which from a marketing standpoint, would be better to push/sell, since they will be higher.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 07-23-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:11 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A drag race with virtually the same car will come down to reaction time and the start. The ILX clearly had the better start, i would say that video probably proved my point. The weight difference from a civic si to an ilx is the spare tire in the trunk and a few pounds off a driver, for all intensive purposes negligible.

the difference between whp and hp is 15%-20% ... even with a 20% loss, the injen intake make 13 ish WHP ? mmmm, i don't think so. If you have the injen intake i would be curious to see the difference on a dyno from the stock intake and stock tune a true comparison to see what it really makes.

The PRL short ram intake looks nothing like the cold air intake injen makes, and if I'm not mistaken the pipe diameter is also larger with the PRL.

You say they have done "rounds" of dyno testing, where is the proof of all the gains?! honestly man look at Vits blog, the 2.4 ilx is basically a civic si, he has the proof dyno testing, results ... the best thing you can do for the car out side of forced induction for performance is buy a flash pro, get it tuned, buy a 3in downpipe and if you really really want that extra 4whp buy the PRL intake.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A drag race with virtually the same car will come down to reaction time and the start. The ILX clearly had the better start, i would say that video probably proved my point. The weight difference from a civic si to an ilx is the spare tire in the trunk and a few pounds off a driver, for all intensive purposes negligible.
The easiest way to test this theory would have been to do one more run and switch drivers. Same results, means, ILX is simply faster in this particular setup. However, if Civic leads, then it's the reaction time/skill of the driver.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jblively
The easiest way to test this theory would have been to do one more run and switch drivers. Same results, means, ILX is simply faster in this particular setup. However, if Civic leads, then it's the reaction time/skill of the driver.
But would you let them drive your car and trust they are doing their best? Sounds to me with the attitude his buddies got hed just let up in the ILX to prove his own Civic is quicker.

Glad I dont really care.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
The CEL can be fixed with hondata flashpro - think it's an easy setting if i'm not mistaken
Old 07-24-2015, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by OSUBeaver
The CEL can be fixed with hondata flashpro - think it's an easy setting if i'm not mistaken
Yep. Also a defouler will work for cheaper. Dc sports header comes with a defouler. Megan racing header does not.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

the difference between whp and hp is 15%-20% ... even with a 20% loss, the injen intake make 13 ish WHP ? mmmm, i don't think so. If you have the injen intake i would be curious to see the difference on a dyno from the stock intake and stock tune a true comparison to see what it really makes.

The PRL short ram intake looks nothing like the cold air intake injen makes, and if I'm not mistaken the pipe diameter is also larger with the PRL.

You say they have done "rounds" of dyno testing, where is the proof of all the gains?! honestly man look at Vits blog, the 2.4 ilx is basically a civic si, he has the proof dyno testing, results ... the best thing you can do for the car out side of forced induction for performance is buy a flash pro, get it tuned, buy a 3in downpipe and if you really really want that extra 4whp buy the PRL intake.
Nah, got the Injen for free. Don't feel like buying another intake, when this works good already. The PRL COLD AIR, does appear to be wider, but looks pretty much the same to me. I'm not saying the Injen one is better, I just know it works well. There's also 2 different PRL intakes, and I'm not comparing the short ram to my cold air...

Yes, I do realize that the downpipe by far is the biggest gain possible from the regular I/H/E. I've had a 3inch downpipe for the longest. I got I/H/E as soon as possible. Not really sure what you're trying to argue, other then argue. I'm not pushing Injen on anyone, I like it, would recommend, thats it.

Again, numbers are very debate-able. There's the "heartbreaker" dyno's and the dyno's that seem to give out huge gain numbers. Best test would really be something like this

Because it directly head to head compares intakes - same car, same dyno. (watch the various videos if you care). Even then, it would be a tiny bit off because of things like heatsoak, or running it on the dyno when the car was already warmed up, etc. But that could be mitigated.

Since most people aren't going to bother getting Hondata, and since ILX year models 14(?) and 15 seem to be unsupported anyway, might as well just get the Injen, or AEM, or DC Sports, all pretty much the same. Why would you get an intake that needs a tune to run, yet you have no way of tuning? That's if you even want an intake.

As I stated earlier, the SI is modded, better tires, lighter wheels. I believe intake as well. The fact the driver had a worse takeoff should have been offset immediately by that unsprung weight loss and much better grip alone. But for whatever reason, ILX seems to have a tiny edge. Basically the same car? Yes, and apparently, no.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 07-24-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
Nah, got the Injen for free. Don't feel like buying another intake, when this works good already. The PRL COLD AIR, does appear to be wider, but looks pretty much the same to me. I'm not saying the Injen one is better, I just know it works well. There's also 2 different PRL intakes, and I'm not comparing the short ram to my cold air...

Yes, I do realize that the downpipe by far is the biggest gain possible from the regular I/H/E. I've had a 3inch downpipe for the longest. I got I/H/E as soon as possible. Not really sure what you're trying to argue, other then argue. I'm not pushing Injen on anyone, I like it, would recommend, thats it.

Since most people aren't going to bother getting Hondata, and since ILX year models 14(?) and 15 seem to be unsupported anyway, might as well just get the Injen, or AEM, or DC Sports, all pretty much the same. Why would you get an intake that needs a tune to run, yet you have no way of tuning? That's if you even want an intake.

As I stated earlier, the SI is modded, better tires, lighter wheels. I believe intake as well. The fact the driver had a worse takeoff should have been offset immediately by that unsprung weight loss and much better grip alone. But for whatever reason, ILX seems to have a tiny edge. Basically the same car? Yes, and apparently, no.
Recommending an intake that you "like" with no real supporting info is what I'm trying to get at. Im sure it performs pretty similar to the stock airbox (that is just fine) which is why you don't get any codes and all you are getting is a nice sound under the hood, which is probably why you like it so much.

I bought the intake before i knew i couldn't tune, I was going to run a small shot of nitrous and an intake is the first part you need for the simple set up i planned to use. If you got yours for free thats great, and I'm sure injen is happy you haven't tested it out at all, taken their word for it and recommended it to others. Im giving you facts, so if anyone reads this to learn something they don't waste their hard earned money on an intake that probably does the same thing the factory air intake does.

that video was irrelevant as far as proving the ILX is indeed faster than a modded civic.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Haven't updated in awhile... put in some nokya yellow DRLs, saw them on an STI and liked the way it looked, for 15$ i said why not.

Some before/ after from the same angle and some shots of the DRLs

Old 08-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
Hmm, the Nokya brand is pretty low on the list when it comes to aftermarket halogens.

Better then complete no-name bulbs, but still their bulb alignment can be a bit off and their simple yellow tinting can fade or flake off after extended use.

---
I know they are pricier, but I'd suggest trying out PIAA's line of Plasma Ion Yellow Bulbs. In your case the HB base would fit the 9005 socket.

Retail is about $100, cheapest I've seen is on Amazon for $85 + free shipping.

I've tested PIAA's PlasmaIon series of yellow bulbs vs other yellow tinted and Nokya bulbs while at InlineFour.

Where as generic ones use a simple yellow tint to change the color of the bulb, PIAA's PlasmaIons use a semi-reflective coating.

The difference is, while a simple tint tries to filter the color of the filament to change its output, PIAA's bulbs actually reflect the non-desired (i.e. not yellow) light back into the capsule; only letting the yellow light shine through.

This gives you a higher rate of light transmission through the glass and onto your headlights reflector surface.

They also run at a higher wattage. When I was testing the 55W H3 bulbs, the coil was actually slightly larger pulling closer to 65W of power (that way you get your full 55W of output through the coating and onto the road)

-----

Just food for thought, I know they cost more; but there is a valid reason behind the cost.

-----

Heres the output photos I took that can provide you some visual Eye candy.
"Ultra Spec Clear" Refers the the trade name IL4 was going to use for the clear glass Foglight Housings.

Photo includes the standard bulb they came with as well as the lineup of PIAA upgrade bulbs 'Stage 1' (3650K NightTechs, 4000K XtremeWhites, 2500K PlasmaIons; as well as some HID 'Stage 2' sets. Powered by Morimoto 3Five ballasts in both a 3000K and 4300K configuration.

All photos were taken with matched exposure settings to show relative brightness differences.

Last edited by Thmanx; 08-19-2015 at 08:17 PM.
k24ilx (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info, I have seen your other posts on lights, you really know your stuff! Went with the Nokya to feel out the look, will probably try the plasma ion 2500k you suggested when I get an itch to do something to the car lol.

Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2015, 10:58 PM
Racer

Yeah the Nokya's are a good way to try it out. But after you get a few months of use with them (or if one blows... you never know...) Save up and try the PIAAs.

They are costly, but its not just a name. I'm really picky when it comes to my lights and I've done the personal/independent tests on them. Believe me, I was pleasantly surprised when they truly were better.

I'm not to sure, but I think Philips or Osram 'might' have a yellow aka off-road HB style bulb out there (perhaps an international variant), but haven't tried it myself. (only did a benchmark test comparing PIAA/Osram/Philips high visibility (~3700K), White (~4000K) and Super White (5000K) bulbs.

Haven't done a 3000K Halogen test, though the results could be interesting.

If my previous comparison tests are any indication, Philips was always the winner compared to the Osrams, with the PIAA's being a close 2nd in most cases.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the PIAA Plasma Ions in my fogs and they are the best yellow fogs I've seen on the road. Perfect colour and great output.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 2.4 Build-img_1400.jpg  
k24ilx (08-31-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Been awhile since I've updated about to reach 20,000 miles and will be doing a B1 service hopefully this weekend and replacing all four tires for Pilot Super Sports 245/40/17 before the end of the month, will post some pics once I get them installed and get an alignment.

Picked up some PIAA yellow fog lights like some members recommended here are a few shots until next time.

Stock Fog Lights

PIAA yellow Fogs

found a stock ILX in white almost like a before and after shot
Old 11-19-2015, 12:59 PM
Racer

Glad ya went with the PIAAs. People sometimes knock on PIAA as a brand when compared to Osram or Philips. But honestly they do have some pretty cool stuff and their bulbs tend to be a bit more extreme then the other more road going competitors.

The PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow bulbs are really pretty damn bright, and definitely do the job quite well. (had them on my ILX for a few weeks just for some testing early on to, so I know)

More Pics added to the cause.

So yeah, anyone else who's interested in a quality yellow-tinted bulb for adverse weather conditions or difficult lighting situations (wet black roads for example), the PIAA Plasma-Ion Yellow 2500K's definitely should be on your consideration list.

How much did you end up paying for a set, I know they arnt cheep.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:25 PM
Instructor

picked them up for just under 90$ shipped on amazon a little pricy but have been nice with the rainy weather lately.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Did the third service on the ILX last weekend at 19550 miles with Mobil One oil and filter, and to my surprise another Acura was added to the family. my mother picked up a 2.4 Fathom Blue TLX right off the show room floor, tires came in as well and got installed this morning look significantly wider than the stock tires and feel pretty grippy, happy with the Pilot Super Sports so far.

before

after