2.0 ILX Go Bye Bye

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
So I guess the 2.0L is not gone as the thread would imply?! The 2014 ILX will not see all models having the 2.4L as I had hoped.....that is a bummer
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
how do you know this?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
how do you know this?
Yup, it's confirmed. No pricing announced, but now the base ILX has: Leather, 17" Alloys, Power Drivers Seat, Premium Sound and Back-up Camera. Now the ILX Premium is the 'odd man out' with the only upgrades over base shown as: Fog Lights, HID, XM and Auto Dimming Mirror. ILX Tech, Hybrid, Hybrid Tech and ILX Premium with 6MT appear to remain the same.
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (04-16-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Drifting

I wonder if the pricing architecture is the same? link to news please
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

I wonder if the pricing architecture is the same? link to news please
I got the info out of the 2013/2014 full line brochure that arrived today.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
So which ones are 2.0L and which are 2.4L?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
So which ones are 2.0L and which are 2.4L?
I thought that was obvious, same as before. Only 6MT with 2.4. Three with 2.0 and two with hybrid.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Exclamation Thanks Colin

Now more than ever: as I have been saying, they just need to go ahead & make the premium model the base model. Those 4 things are not worth an extra trim level.

On a side note: I was car shopping with a friend this weekend & must say, the ILX is a nice looking car - especially the front. The grill looks good in this iteration, the headlights have the fangs that I like & the bottom part looks like they put some effort into designing it (usually a weak spot for Acura) altho the hybrid fog/vents look much better than the standard.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
That's disappointing then. It's good to know some premium features got trickled down to the base model. But no ED? That's lame.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
That's disappointing then. It's good to know some premium features got trickled down to the base model. But no ED? That's lame.
Definitely less than optimal. However, I suppose that they've decided that the improvements vs. investment vs. volume meets their immediate needs. Also, they'll be able to get another year out of the R20 to even out the costs with a 'one off' engine. FWIW, production of the 2014 ILX is heavily skewed towards 'base' models in the first production run.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hope for Acura's sake 2015 is the MMC for the ILX. With heavy competition on the way, their MMC will need to be a killer. IMO, giving those features to the base car will attract more to the brand for its value (That's a lot of good features for a 28k CAN premium car) and many urban dwellers will be satisfied with the revving power of this engine.

With the lukewarm welcoming of the ILX (Can't really speak for the RLX since it's been released for a month now), I sincerely hope the TLX will be a home run for Acura. Their SUVs have a great reception; hopefully one of their sedans will too.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Drifting

Yea 2015 will definitely need to bring the ed engines...I think they're also waiting for the tsx to phase out since people still buy them.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by sfguy
IMO the ILX is a better big city car than the TSX. Much easier to park and fit in small spaces, cheap to fill up and good mileage, and almost as much interior room. I *do* wish it had the blind spot warning system that's on the new Honda's.
ILX and TSX have identical turn radius. Steering wheel turn of ILX is 2.87. also weight distribution of ILX is worse by 1%. ILX is very poorly designed car for 2013. I have seen couple of used ones. they depreciate much faster than TSX and thats all matters .

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2QgNJeF4q

The story behind low Acura ILX production numbers

LOS ANGELES -- Those with keen eyesight will have noticed an aberration in the production numbers listed by the Automotive News Data Center.

The Honda Motor Co. plant in Greensburg, Ind., built just 91 units of the nearly new Acura ILX entry-luxury sedan in March. This came after a couple of previous slower months.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iforyou
with out ED engines and CVT. it is not likely to get good mileage compared to competition. It seems Acura will discount it. Acura practically given up investment in it so early. MMC will be too late to resurrect sales. by that time even Honda Accord will be receiving MMC along with new Honda Accord hybrid. In reality Honda Accord handles better than ILX.
New TLX/TSX will sent ILX further into abscurity.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Colin
I thought that was obvious, same as before. Only 6MT with 2.4. Three with 2.0 and two with hybrid.
I guess I interpreted the earlier announcement that the 2.4L would be offered with an AT (like a 2.4L AT Premium). I don't get it. Acura seems to have passed up an early opportunity to make the car more competitive. I guess if they put more content in the base and not raise the price that might help a little, but not what I was expecting.

I hope Acura is not this clumsy with the TLX.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Suzuka Master

I guess I interpreted the earlier announcement that the 2.4L would be offered with an AT (like a 2.4L AT Premium). I don't get it. Acura seems to have passed up an early opportunity to make the car more competitive. I guess if they put more content in the base and not raise the price that might help a little, but not what I was expecting.

I hope Acura is not this clumsy with the TLX.
I fully expect the TLX to shadow the Accord in engine choice, trims and body styles.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
ILX and TSX have identical turn radius. Steering wheel turn of ILX is 2.87. also weight distribution of ILX is worse by 1%. ILX is very poorly designed car for 2013. I have seen couple of used ones. they depreciate much faster than TSX and thats all matters .
Oh god, I've made such a mistake leasing this small luxury car that gets 35 mpg I should of kept buying new AMG's since they hold their value so well and are so cheap to maintain
Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pitbull11
Oh god, I've made such a mistake leasing this small luxury car that gets 35 mpg I should of kept buying new AMG's since they hold their value so well and are so cheap to maintain
35mpg is not big deal. MMC TSX can achieve that despite lower EPA ratings.
The point i am making is that it is big joke that earth quake prevented ILX from getting Earth Dreams engine when EU/India/Australia already got earth dream engines in there vehicles and Accord/RLX is already Earth dream.

http://www.ibtimes.com/press-release...urope-1197587#
Encouraging Start to 2013 for Honda in Europe
Old 04-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Drifting

Yea, I think it's not smart that they didn't revise it. If they're trying to stay competitive and march forward with a new product portfolio, they need to do what it takes to stay competitive. Unfortunately, they may have turned-off loyalists if they changed the car drastically, like they did with the civic.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I fully expect the TLX to shadow the Accord in engine choice, trims and body styles.
So essentially, Acura is going to give us a tarted-up Accord again?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
35mpg is not big deal. MMC TSX can achieve that despite lower EPA ratings.
The point i am making is that it is big joke that earth quake prevented ILX from getting Earth Dreams engine when EU/India/Australia already got earth dream engines in there vehicles and Accord/RLX is already Earth dream.

http://www.ibtimes.com/press-release...urope-1197587#
Encouraging Start to 2013 for Honda in Europe
The 2.0l engine they put in it will provide everything I need for as long as I want to own the car. Did some of you not test drive or research the ILX before you bought it. I got such a great lease that at the end I can just buy it if I want to keep it. By the end of my lease all the money I have into my ILX will equal $2000 under the original MSRP if I decide to buy. That is a GREAT deal. I looked at BMW 3series, AT'S, etc. and they would of been several thousand over MSRP at the end of the lease if I bought and they would of cost around 30 percent more per month lease payment. I don't consider the 3 series or the AT'S base engine a step up from the ILX. Having the dream engine might be nice but I don't see it changing my enjoyment of the ILX with the tech package. JMHO
Old 04-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
Pitbull there is no getting through to people who 1) only care about tech specs 2) only care about professional reviews 3) would of never been in the market for this car in the first place....
Old 04-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trentimus
Pitbull there is no getting through to people who 1) only care about tech specs 2) only care about professional reviews 3) would of never been in the market for this car in the first place....
I hear you. Just my personal taste but from a looks stand point I would of never considered a TSX or a TL and 3 series BMW's are a dime a dozen and look to much like want to be owners.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Summer is Coming

That would be a smart move on Acura's part... with the fold down rear seat

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
So essentially, Acura is going to give us a tarted-up Accord again?

lol... I like tarts! They only sold 36,000 last month. If Acura only sells 1/10th of those it would be the highest selling sedan they have.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

That would be a smart move on Acura's part... with the fold down rear seat
I'm sure they won't just to spite you....LOL

lol... I like tarts! They only sold 36,000 last month. If Acura only sells 1/10th of those it would be the highest selling sedan they have.
Yup, it'll all be in the execution. I'm sure the forums will bitch up a storm regardless what they do.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's not fast enough and it's ugly.. Why would I get it when I can just get an Accord for 10,000 less? It's just an Accord with lipstick after all......

Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
I got my first real exposure to an ILX 2.0 base this week as I'm driving as a loaner car while my TL gets fixed. Standing alone, it's a nice car. The 150hp 5AT feels adequate (a 6th cog between the current 1st and 2nd would do wonders), and I'm running 33mpg compared to my TL SHAWD 6MT which is runs about 10mpg less in my daily commute.

Where this ILX fails is, indeed, in value. An equivalent Civic (minus 10hp, minus remote keyless access and start) is 5K less. I am not impressed with the ILX's NVH - I think there's equally economical cars out there that offer more luxury and perceived refinement for less. I don't fault buyers who put value in the difference the ILX offers; but I'm not one of them. The ILX 2.4 6MT needs to include the ELS and Civic Si's LSD at that price to appear worth the premium over the Si. Acura's marketing strategy for the TL worked with me - no Accord sedan V6 EX-L or higher available with 6MT pushed me up to the TL..and for the premium, I got the SH-AWD and ELS; but Acura, be warned, I will not switch to the TLX now if the 6MT is not offered AND include SH-AWD....don't screw up and just make it a fwd Accord Touring with PAWS for 10K more...not enough return for the premium.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by draph
I got my first real exposure to an ILX 2.0 base this week as I'm driving as a loaner car while my TL gets fixed. Standing alone, it's a nice car. The 150hp 5AT feels adequate (a 6th cog between the current 1st and 2nd would do wonders), and I'm running 33mpg compared to my TL SHAWD 6MT which is runs about 10mpg less in my daily commute.

Where this ILX fails is, indeed, in value. An equivalent Civic (minus 10hp, minus remote keyless access and start) is 5K less. I am not impressed with the ILX's NVH - I think there's equally economical cars out there that offer more luxury and perceived refinement for less. I don't fault buyers who put value in the difference the ILX offers; but I'm not one of them. The ILX 2.4 6MT needs to include the ELS and Civic Si's LSD at that price to appear worth the premium over the Si. Acura's marketing strategy for the TL worked with me - no Accord sedan V6 EX-L or higher available with 6MT pushed me up to the TL..and for the premium, I got the SH-AWD and ELS; but Acura, be warned, I will not switch to the TLX now if the 6MT is not offered AND include SH-AWD....don't screw up and just make it a fwd Accord Touring with PAWS for 10K more...not enough return for the premium.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. But, you should know that an ILX leases for a little better than an optioned Honda Civic EX-L, or Si for that matter. Given the reduced cost, albeit marginal, and the fact that the Acura brand, to me at least, carries more panache, I feel as though the value proposition is there. The ILX also has HIDs, an auto dimmer rearview, a folding side view mirror, the special dampers (forget the name), active noise cancellation, and a better looking front fascia. Not denying your point, because you're right, but at the same time somethings can be said that make it seem a bit more worthwhile.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I pretty much agree with everything you said. But, you should know that an ILX leases for a little better than an optioned Honda Civic EX-L, or Si for that matter. Given the reduced cost, albeit marginal, and the fact that the Acura brand, to me at least, carries more panache, I feel as though the value proposition is there. The ILX also has HIDs, an auto dimmer rearview, a folding side view mirror, the special dampers (forget the name), active noise cancellation, and a better looking front fascia. Not denying your point, because you're right, but at the same time somethings can be said that make it seem a bit more worthwhile.
Are you really bragging about the "special dampers" and "active noise control? REALLY?

These two components are a complete failure on this car if you ask me.

The car is WAY to noisy for my liking (2.4) and the dampers/suspension on this car have been nothing short of frustrating, embarrassing and unacceptable.

Last edited by Spirited Driver; 04-18-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Drifting

I'm not bragging, just saying where the extra money goes to. The part where I say the ILX also has "...", I was just saying that it's not just keyless entry and push button start that separates this car from the civic.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Instructor

I'm not bragging, just saying where the extra money goes to. The part where I say the ILX also has "...", I was just saying that it's not just keyless entry and push button start that separates this car from the civic.
It's a great value equation. Plus it is a very good looking design and not many on the rode so you have right now a limited production vehicle. Unlike the accord, Fussion, etc.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
Are you really bragging about the "special dampers" and "active noise control? REALLY?

These two components are a complete failure on this car if you ask me.

The car is WAY to noisy for my liking (2.4) and the dampers/suspension on this car have been nothing short of frustrating, embarrassing and unacceptable.
Broken record.. He was speaking comparatively about the ride comfort and sound dampening over the Si.. Even that rear shock sounds not all you're making it out to be. Other people have it, it will get fixed.. Go read about every car ever made their first year and tell me you don't find at least one major problem.

Okay, done? Now let's keep in mind your problem isn't major.. It's a SOUND, they will fix it.. They even offered you to fix it.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:44 AM
Summer is Coming

It's not fast enough and it's ugly.. Why would I get it when I can just get an Accord for 10,000 less? It's just an Accord with lipstick after all......

If they price the equivalent TLX at $10K over the Accord they will not sell, and I don't think the difference will be that much. Maybe for a SH-AWD with other RLX features you could get a premium like that or close, but not with a FWD version. But I'd be happy to pay for meaningful differences. Just like ILX owners made their decisions to pay for the differences with the Civic. It is whatever the buyer values and if there are not enough buyers that value it, the price will have to be adjusted.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

I was just being a smart ass about it.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Drifting

haha, I got you!
Trentimus (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Summer is Coming

Its all good!

I can't wait to see that tarted up Accord.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Its all good!

I can't wait to see that tarted up Accord.
LOL I am personally excited to see it as well.. I personally have never had a problem with taking a successful value car and turning it into luxury. I think the new Accord is a beast of a car which should make the TLX a prime candidate for awesome
Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Broken record.. He was speaking comparatively about the ride comfort and sound dampening over the Si.. Even that rear shock sounds not all you're making it out to be. Other people have it, it will get fixed.. Go read about every car ever made their first year and tell me you don't find at least one major problem.

Okay, done? Now let's keep in mind your problem isn't major.. It's a SOUND, they will fix it.. They even offered you to fix it.
How do you know the degree of the suspension noise in my vehicle?

How do you know what my tolerance level of acceptability towards road noise is?

You don't.

Last edited by Spirited Driver; 04-19-2013 at 09:30 PM.
iVtecOften (04-20-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
So I guess the 2.0L is not gone as the thread would imply?! The 2014 ILX will not see all models having the 2.4L as I had hoped.....that is a bummer
yep, note to self: john mendel pretty much talks out of his ass and has no insight to what higher execs are going to do
Old 12-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Exclamation Update

Honda plans to introduce its 2015 model TLX sedan next month at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Iwamura said. A modified ILX compact sedan with a more robust powertrain will follow, and Acura’s NSX “supercar,” a high-performance coupe, returns in 2015. Iwamura declined to detail changes to the youth-oriented ILX model.
4cruizn (12-19-2013)

Quick Reply: 2.0 ILX Go Bye Bye