2.0 ILX Go Bye Bye

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
The VP in the article didn't really say what type of automatic tranny they are going to put along side the 2.4. (CVT or 5/6 AT) IF they do put a 5/6 AT in the ILX it's a big slap to the face to current ILX 5AT owners.

Being ugly has nothing to do with sales either..
Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by nothome17
The VP in the article didn't really say what type of automatic tranny they are going to put along side the 2.4. (CVT or 5/6 AT) IF they do put a 5/6 AT in the ILX it's a big slap to the face to current ILX 5AT owners.

Being ugly has nothing to do with sales either..
Ugly is subjective..

And, how is what he said not already a slap in the face of the 2.0 owners.. I don't see how them going to the 2.4 Earth Dreams 2.4 with CVT wouldn't be a bigger slap either.. it'll have more HP/TQ and MPG.

The slap doesn't come from them upgrading their technology in my opinion.. it's how they said it and their justification as to why. Bad PR in my opinion..

Like I said would of been much better for them to just say "We planned this all along".. instead of selling out the 2.0 as inadequate (SINCE THEY CHOSE TO USE IT) and alienating their customers.

*** I am gonna laugh when this was all a big rumor started by some blogger ***

Last edited by Trentimus; 12-13-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: ***
Old 12-13-2012, 04:52 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
I don't follow your logic. Both BMW and Audi have provided engines that yield higher power, get greater efficiency, and power heavier cars. The TSX engine is worst in class...though it is 2k cheaper than the Audi A4 and 4k than the BMW.
That's the thing, they make more power, get greater efficiency on paper. But what they don't tell you is, when the engine is working hard to make all those power, it's not getting the great fuel efficiency. You don't get high power and high mpg simultaneously.

This is a great example of how downsized boosted engines don't always get you great mpg:

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...ugust-2010.pdf

TSX V6 5AT:
0-60mph: 6.0s
1/4 mile: 14.6s@99mph
Real-world mpg: 28mpg

VW Passat CC 2.0T DSG:
0-60mph: 6.5s
1/4 mile: 15.0s@94mph
Real-world mpg: 29mpg

Buick Regal CXL Turbo 6AT:
0-60mph: 7.5s
1/4 mile: 15.7s@91mph
Real-world mpg: 27mpg

The TSX with its ancient J series and ancient 5AT is much faster than its turbocharged competitors while getting similar real world mpg.

Here's another good article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ent-downsizing

Originally Posted by musty hustla
Exactly! The 2.3 turbo or even a 2.0 turbo would get great economy in the ILX frame.

How about this? Put the SH-AWD in all the entire lineup.
The RDX turbo engine wouldn't even fit in the TSX, let alone the ILX. A new development would be necessary.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Trentimus
Ugly is subjective..

And, how is what he said not already a slap in the face of the 2.0 owners.. I don't see how them going to the 2.4 Earth Dreams 2.4 with CVT wouldn't be a bigger slap either.. it'll have more HP/TQ and MPG.

The slap doesn't come from them upgrading their technology in my opinion.. it's how they said it and their justification as to why. Bad PR in my opinion..

Like I said would of been much better for them to just say "We planned this all along".. instead of selling out the 2.0 as inadequate (SINCE THEY CHOSE TO USE IT) and alienating their customers.

*** I am gonna laugh when this was all a big rumor started by some blogger ***
Aside from the question of whether the 2.0L stays or leaves, doesn't this show the lack of confidence in this product from Acura? What message is this to send potential buyers, current buyers, Acura dealerships? Does this signify a more aggressive Acura campaign, as opposed to letting models languish (ZDX, RL)?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rxj27
Aside from the question of whether the 2.0L stays or leaves, doesn't this show the lack of confidence in this product from Acura? What message is this to send potential buyers, current buyers, Acura dealerships? Does this signify a more aggressive Acura campaign, as opposed to letting models languish (ZDX, RL)?
I think Acura is on a appeasement campaign.. Which is lackluster.. innovation would be aggressive.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Racer

Seems like they were hoping for the results from the 3rd Gen Integra days since they are trying to target the younger crowd with this model. Sales figures are showing that they are failing trying to reach out for the younger Gen and previous Integra owners. Can't forget there is other competition. As for myself coming from the 2nd and 3rd Gen Integra GSR, I wouldn't buy the ILX. I'd prefer the 1st Gen TSX any day over the ILX. My friend just bought a 2008 TSX instead of buying a new ILX. WTF...

LS, GS model = 1.8L 140 HP
GSR model = 1.8L 170 HP
Type R = 1.8L 200 HP

ILX = 2.0L 150HP
ILX 2.4 = 2.4L 200 HP

Last edited by nothome17; 12-14-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think relative to their size and goal the motors do the job. I think we just get caught up in the war of specs..

If I am Acura.. I defend my decision to use the 2L .. I still think it's fine for it's goal. The 5AT? It probably should of made like the wind, long ago.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Racer

Okay, coming from owning the 2nd Gen GSR, 3rd Gen GSR, 06 TSX and currently drivinga a 08 TLS. I wouldn't get the ILX or even the ZDX. It's just ugly (subjective) Geez looking at RXJ27's avatar, that car is just Fugly. No disrespect RXJ27..

Sure keep the 2.0 but the styling needs to be changed a bit.

Last edited by nothome17; 12-14-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

The was rxj's avatar is makes the car look abstract.. he took it like that for effect not accuracy across scale. But, it's your opinion.. I bought this car with alot of weight in it's styling. I love the way it looks.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
I think the car looks nice...look at my avatar
Old 12-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I think the car looks nice...look at my avatar
Fail! Epic fail! I can't believe that your cap have side marker blinkers on.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Racer

Ouch! A dagger to my heart...

The flow of this thread really justifies my fears...we went from underpowered 2.0L engine-> comparisons to Integra/TSX/Accord-> ugly looks -> will/should never buy one...

Up to this point, the ILX was finally gaining traction in not only sales, but also as a credible Acura model. This one unsubstantiated rumor has knocked ILX back down to the unwanted stepchild of the Acura line up... We are right back to where this forum was 3 months ago.
The following users liked this post:
Trentimus (12-15-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Those with the 2.0 motor model, might want to consider trading it in before the refresh; the resale value gonna tank. The 2.4 engine, possibly with ED and 6sp auto from the accord will probably be the standard motor, than add lane watch, front collision, etc...
Old 12-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

There is no 6 speed automatic transmission for four cylinder cars in the Honda universe. In all likelihood, if the five speed automatic goes away, it will be replaced by a CVT.

I also like to comment on one aspect of this discussion. Has nobody noticed that we have never seen the entire John Mendel quote? For example, Trentimus, you mentioned that it wasn't what they said, but how they said it. Is it possible that "how he said it" was taken out of context by autonews? I just find it interesting that nobody commented on this possibility.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I stand corrected but you knew what I meant...
Maybe they can use the 6sp from the v6 model...
Old 12-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Racer

ILX is a bad product but albeit economically which made sense from a cost cutting perspective.

Honda just announced a recall because they put the wrong motor in the ILX. Recall 2.0 motor from the ILX and put it where it belongs "in the Civic".. LOL.....

Last edited by nothome17; 12-14-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Naw, that comment about resale tanking just flat wrong. The acid test for resale is residual value. The residual value declared on these cars 36 month lease is one of the highest ever even for a Honda..Nee.. Acura at over 60%!! We are quite satisfied with 150 hp and it cruises very nicely. Folks running with the Verano (a great car) are not getting advertised MPG which to me, economy, is one of the motivations to getting a smaller well equipped car like the ILX. There will always be "better" in the next iteration of a car. 3 years from now the ILX will bring a good price, just like my 2009 Civic did with "only" 140 hp. I might have bought a 2.4 auto if offered but not at a premium and not at an mpg penalty. If it's about sheer speed then, this is not the car to get.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If this rumour is true, because frankly with two conflicting news sources I don't know what to believe, then I hope they plan to do something about the 2.0L owners. Acura is trying to attract customers to their brand and Mendel's statement is the best way to chase people away; in fact that statement alone will scare potential consumers away from the ILX, truth or not.

I'm very satisfied with my car, almost at 10k kilometres, but do wish it had a bit more juice to it and maybe a few more niceties, and had I known the 2.4 potentially had an automatic transmission next year, I would have waited. Guess that what happens when you purchase a first year model. Lesson learned here if this rumour is true, but at the end of the day, Acura better have a good action plan.
Celeshot (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Colin
There is no 6 speed automatic transmission for four cylinder cars in the Honda universe. In all likelihood, if the five speed automatic goes away, it will be replaced by a CVT.

I also like to comment on one aspect of this discussion. Has nobody noticed that we have never seen the entire John Mendel quote? For example, Trentimus, you mentioned that it wasn't what they said, but how they said it. Is it possible that "how he said it" was taken out of context by autonews? I just find it interesting that nobody commented on this possibility.
That's true, and that's why I am falling back on it possible being rumors.. There is no video of this interview.. which is making me think it's BS. I can't find this full conversation anywhere.. so I think you're on point.

ILX is a bad product but albeit economically which made sense from a cost cutting perspective.

Honda just announced a recall because they put the wrong motor in the ILX. Recall 2.0 motor from the ILX and put it where it belongs "in the Civic".. LOL.....
nothome, you don't like the way it looks, the powertrain or have anything positive to say about it.. why are you here? (not being rude just honest)
Old 12-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

That's true, and that's why I am falling back on it possible being rumors.. There is no video of this interview.. which is making me think it's BS. I can't find this full conversation anywhere.. so I think you're on point.
I think it's true, but also that the quote was out of context. The portion quoted by Autonews was, "underpowered, and consumers don’t see the value".

What if the full quote was "[A small percentage of our performance minded ILX clients that can't drive an automatic view the 2.0 as] underpowered, and consumers don’t see the value, [therefore we're going to do more to satisfy these buyers"

It's the same quote, but statement takes on a very different tone.
Trentimus (12-17-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Racer

I think it's true, but also that the quote was out of context. The portion quoted by Autonews was, "underpowered, and consumers don’t see the value".

What if the full quote was "[A small percentage of our performance minded ILX clients that can't drive an automatic view the 2.0 as] underpowered, and consumers don’t see the value, [therefore we're going to do more to satisfy these buyers"

It's the same quote, but statement takes on a very different tone.
I agree with you fully, Colin. Unfortunately, fairly or unfairly, as a VP and public face of Acura, Mendel should have known better... The damage is done...
Old 12-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Racer

nothome, you don't like the way it looks, the powertrain or have anything positive to say about it.. why are you here? (not being rude just honest)
The 2.4 and the option of no leather is nice.

Last edited by nothome17; 12-16-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Drifting

I agree with you fully, Colin. Unfortunately, fairly or unfairly, as a VP and public face of Acura, Mendel should have known better... The damage is done...
Exactly! Even if somebody has a negative opinion of a vehicle, anyone in marketing knows to take what they say and dilute it. For example, if people did think the car was underpowered and a poor value, I would say this instead:

We are looking forward to placing the 2.4 liter engine into the base ilx as a means to broaden its appeal and value proposition to prospective buyers. While we are comfortable with the motor currently powering the car, we feel this decision will help in getting us closer to our sales goals.
Trentimus (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Exactly! Even if somebody has a negative opinion of a vehicle, anyone in marketing knows to take what they say and dilute it. For example, if people did think the car was underpowered and a poor value, I would say this instead:

We are looking forward to placing the 2.4 liter engine into the base ilx as a means to broaden its appeal and value proposition to prospective buyers. While we are comfortable with the motor currently powering the car, we feel this decision will help in getting us closer to our sales goals.

You in marketing or take classes in college? Well said.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought the ILX as a city car since that's where I live. Easy to park (rear guidance), fits in a small garage but is still comfortable, decent mileage (averaging about 29 mpg city/highway per tank), versatile sound system, reads texts to me while driving, navi that takes sensible routes, good collission avoidance (emergency maneuvers twice now with no loss of control, including on a super wet road at 65 mph).

The roads around here are always so jammed that I don't care about the extra performance boost. I can get enough zip when needed to pass grandma and the 2-3 times a year I drive to Los Angeles at 75mph around enough to warrant a more powerful engine the rest of the time.

A few of the tech features are kind of disjointed--especially not being able to use phone address book for calls (if you can do this, I haven't figured out how), but overall a good car.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Drifting

You in marketing or take classes in college? Well said.
I was a marketing major, but I think that sort of approach is only logical.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Racer

Hey another positive, there isn't a recall on the 2 point slow after all. LOL

Acura spokesman Chuck Schifsky tells us a different story, however. “The ILX is slowly getting up to where we want it to be, and it’s taking quite a while to get the awareness built up, but the 2.0-liter isn’t going anywhere.” As for a 2.4 automatic, Schifsky says there’s no plan for that, either.

Last edited by nothome17; 12-17-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:57 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1048046

Technical meeting at a Acura Media Event in Arizona back in March 2012:

Earth Dreams powerplants will be introduced to the line about as soon as they're available. Not necessarily waiting for a hard date for an MMC event.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

I was a marketing major, but I think that sort of approach is only logical.
I definitely agree.. that's the approach but your verbage was what I'd expect from the VP of Acura in contrast to what he said.. Maybe you need to get in touch with their marketing team?

Hey another positive, there isn't a recall on the 2 point slow after all. LOL

Acura spokesman Chuck Schifsky tells us a different story, however. “The ILX is slowly getting up to where we want it to be, and it’s taking quite a while to get the awareness built up, but the 2.0-liter isn’t going anywhere.” As for a 2.4 automatic, Schifsky says there’s no plan for that, either.

nothome, are you trolling at this point?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Exactly! Even if somebody has a negative opinion of a vehicle, anyone in marketing knows to take what they say and dilute it.
I definitely agree.. that's the approach but your verbage was what I'd expect from the VP of Acura in contrast to what he said.. Maybe you need to get in touch with their marketing team?
I wouldn't want to give the impression that I'm defending him, just that I believe that we don't know all of it. If this is indeed all of it, then it's certainly the wrong message. One thing to remember, the original quote was to an industry trade journal vs the public at large. (anyway, enough on the merits of Mendel, he'll probably read anything I write...)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Colin, I agree with where you're coming from.. I mean he very well could of just been reiterating what auto-reviews are saying.. Which is what they're saying. He could of been referencing them, not necessarily saying he agrees. I would like to see the full interview.. but based on what we know between the conflicting articles.. All we can do is wait. BUT, I assume the 2014 year models will bring out Earth Dream motors.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Colin, I agree with where you're coming from.. I mean he very well could of just been reiterating what auto-reviews are saying.. Which is what they're saying. He could of been referencing them, not necessarily saying he agrees. I would like to see the full interview.. but based on what we know between the conflicting articles.. All we can do is wait. BUT, I assume the 2014 year models will bring out Earth Dream motors.
Indeed, he could have easily been saying [Some in the media complain that the automatic ILX is] "underpowered, and consumers don’t see the value", [but we disagree,] "We’re hitting two-thirds of our expectations, but we’re growing every month and catching on more..."
Old 12-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Indeed, he could have easily been saying [Some in the media complain that the automatic ILX is] "underpowered, and consumers don’t see the value", [but we disagree,] "We’re hitting two-thirds of our expectations, but we’re growing every month and catching on more..."
EXACTLY.. and I don't see how they wouldn't defend their decision. The 2L motor is plenty for a daily driver. People get too caught up in stat sheets with all these cars with 300+ horsepower running around these days..
Old 12-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Racer

Acura should just come out of the closet already. Don't come out with excuses for the 2 point slow saying it's a daily driver for crying out loud. Just say it. Acura's stance on it is that the 2 point slow is meant for a demographic that does not care about speed, looks but rather fuel economy. Can you say "2 point slow" on the billboards or Ads. Just for jokes, maybe it should be on them Prius commercials. That would be funny..

nothome, are you trolling at this point?
U Mad? As we would say play FPS LOL..

Last edited by nothome17; 12-17-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

No, I just wanted to be clear before I felt pitty for you...
Old 12-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Drifting

mods going to start modding around here...
Old 12-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Racer

No, I just wanted to be clear before I felt pitty for you...
Thanks for your thoughts my fellow acuraziner.

Do people buying Acura's even care about gas mileage. Granted nobody wants something that gets single digits but if a few miles a gallon is that much of a financial burden. Skip the Acura and buy a smart car LOL.. or don't work at the mall or McDonald's.

The Acura ILX should be on the C'mon Man segments in ESPN. "Acura ILX two point slow. C'MON Man.... LOL...

Last edited by nothome17; 12-17-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Racer

Don't feed the troll...Tyson clean up on aisle 17.
The following 2 users liked this post by rxj27:
spdandpwr (12-17-2012), Trentimus (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for your thoughts my fellow acuraziner.

Do people buying Acura's even care about gas mileage. Granted nobody wants something that gets single digits but if a few miles a gallon is that much of a financial burden. Skip the Acura and buy a smart car LOL.. or don't work at the mall or McDonald's.
You're welcome.

If not they had many a more powerful options at the price point... (since Acura uses Honda motors which typically aren't very powerful or lacking on fuel economy)
A good sum of the people working at the mall make well over 50K/year.. McDonalds corporate employees are well paid from what I understand.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Don't feed the troll...Tyson clean up on aisle 17.
Yeah I'll keep an eye on this thread, hadn't gotten caught up with all 77 replies. Lots of heated debate around something we don't yet know is fact. I love that y'all are passionate about what may or not be in store for the ILX, just keep it constructive nothome and everyone else.

chrisgopher (02-21-2013)

Quick Reply: 2.0 ILX Go Bye Bye