1G ILX Chat, Chit, and General Info Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
That Forbes deal you sent is interesting too. BMW staying strong.. must say I love me an M-series (if I had the money, LOL).. but that whole "German handling" thing went to the birds when the new 5.0 kept up with the M3 on the track.

I do get the whole value behind the Acura thing.. in general the brand allows people to be in the luxury realm for thousands (if not tens) of dollars cheaper than it's closest competitor.. But if you ask me I'll take my ILX all day over a 1 or even 3 series. The allure to Acura for me was the same as Lexus.. I wanted the reliability of the brand under the elegant skin, while still having the elegant skin; Acura just happened to be significantly cheaper than Lexus.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rxj27
Playing devil's advocate here...isn't the failure of Acura to launch a true flagship sedan in direct comparison to other Tier 1 luxury car companies a reflection of the value mindedness of Acura consumers?

I think it's a direct reflection of Acura (Honda too) miscalculating what customers want.. and their poor decisions. They try to hard to make people happy in some areas then ignore them in others. I think the TSX very well would of been that for them.. it seems the current complaint for Acura is poor aesthics.. the TL in my opinion is a perfect example of them wanting to be so different and overshooting. But, I digress to say I am no marketing major or major business operator so I couldn't genuinely say why they have failed at creating a flagship sedan. Look at other companies who have stuck to the same name just redesigned until it worked (Focus, Civc, Accord, Impala, Taurus, ect.) then look at how Acura just axes a line completely.. instead of focusing on a goal it seems Acura desides to just scrap the idea completely instead of trying to improve it.

Now I am ranting.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

^ That's also why I fear for my ILX purchase.. I really don't want Acura to just wake up and decide "we don't like the ILX anymore, let's cut it from our lineup".. which knowing them... :\
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
The marketeers at Acura aren't governed by reason. They cut off the RSX claiming that they didn't want to down-market the brand and here they are, yeas later, reintroducing a down-market model: the ilx. Then, their nomenclature system has been a random combination of letters and numbers and was never as clear as it's competitors that leveraged and alphanumeric nomenclatures. From a pure branding / marketing standpoint, Acura has always sucked, but it's the people who research and who are pragmatic in their purchases who have bought into the Acura brand.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Drifting

For those of you with the premium model, do you get complaints that your cell sounds staticky? Whenever I use HFL while I'm driving, ppl complain that my voice sounds staticky and I'm wondering if it's another thing I need to take my car in for. It already has an issue where the trunk makes a click noise when I open it.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
The marketeers at Acura aren't governed by reason. They cut off the RSX claiming that they didn't want to down-market the brand and here they are, yeas later, reintroducing a down-market model: the ilx.
I agree 100% to throw in my on the RSX though:

The RSX easily portrayed a "boy-racer" look and feel inside and out.. and judging by all of them on the road have exhausts and stuff (nothing wrong with that).. I think the "down-market" was more of how it portrayed that image of a tuner car vs the ILX which portrays a sleek affordable luxury sedan.. probably the same reason a coupe wont be made.

That's my thought at least, I dunno that for fact.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

For those of you with the premium model, do you get complaints that your cell sounds staticky? Whenever I use HFL while I'm driving, ppl complain that my voice sounds staticky and I'm wondering if it's another thing I need to take my car in for. It already has an issue where the trunk makes a click noise when I open it.

No complaints here and I use it every day to call the lady friend on the way home in traffic; The environment shouldn't affect bluetooth either.

Take it in get it fixed!!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
I have been trying to upload some images but it looks like I don't have rights to do so. I am new to the group but past the 15 day initial sign up and the required 15 posts .How do we get an Admin to help? I have pictures of the new Hybrid spoiler mounted on a regular XLX and other images I'd like to share
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Trentimus
^ That's also why I fear for my ILX purchase.. I really don't want Acura to just wake up and decide "we don't like the ILX anymore, let's cut it from our lineup".. which knowing them... :\
I'm glad I'm not the only one...I also fear they might completely revamp it, and in effect make our 1G ILXs "obsolete" in just one year...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Drifting

I'm glad I'm not the only one...I also fear they might completely revamp it, and in effect make our 1G ILXs "obsolete" in just one year...

God, I hope not!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Racer

God, I hope not!
I feel for new 2012 Civic owners. Admittedly Honda was under pressure to act fast, but that's gotta be ultimate buyers remorse!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

If that happens I'll slap myself for not doing a lease.. But, then again I really enjoy my car so maybe aslong as they dont reduce the price substantially.. Also Honda pushing CT-E for a supercharger gives me comfort, makes sense to think: why would they put that effort into the car then cut it. Just staying optimistic I guess. I'd like the 2014 to have a cut-out for exhaust so that I can buy the bumper, which I'd do in a heartbeat.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Drifting

If that happens I'll slap myself for not doing a lease.. But, then again I really enjoy my car so maybe aslong as they dont reduce the price substantially.. Also Honda pushing CT-E for a supercharger gives me comfort, makes sense to think: why would they put that effort into the car then cut it. Just staying optimistic I guess. I'd like the 2014 to have a cut-out for exhaust so that I can buy the bumper, which I'd do in a heartbeat.
same here, if there is a new bumper with an exhaust cut-out, best believe that I will acquire said bumper.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Things I want to see in the works: Aftermarket lips, clear corner head lights, and a rear cut out bumper.. everything else I'll ever need is already in the works or available.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, not to post whore but anyone else getting panel rattles in their front doors? The panel where the window switch is on the passenger side rattles with loud bass (noticeable even over the music), the driver side rattles up by the window with music, road vibrations and bumps... it's extremely annoying. I fear going to the dealer to only be mad with the idea of hearing "cannot replicate"... I'd yell.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Drifting

I've got some rattling, depending on the bass note that the speakers are trying to reproduce.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Drifting

Things I want to see in the works: Aftermarket lips, clear corner head lights, and a rear cut out bumper.. everything else I'll ever need is already in the works or available.
The aftermarket lips most likely won't come out...In fact, nothing fits like OEM quality so I wouldn't even bother with aftermarket anything with respect to body work. I also prefer the contrast the amber brings, lol.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

The aftermarket lips most likely won't come out...In fact, nothing fits like OEM quality so I wouldn't even bother with aftermarket anything with respect to body work. I also prefer the contrast the amber brings, lol.

Gotta get the right company making the parts! And AT THAT... even if Acura makes more options, I wouldn't be mad at it.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So far so good with the HFL sound quality. It's not as good talking directly into the phone, but its not bad at all.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced

ha, i have the same fear as well!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Advanced

Also, looks like Automobile Magazine is really enjoying the car so far in their long term test.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...013_acura_ilx/
The following 2 users liked this post by pabarile:
ddantzler (12-04-2012), Trentimus (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Drifting

True. So what's everyone up to these days.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
True. So what's everyone up to these days.
Work, work.

For the car though, got splash guards installed yesterday and ordered a Hybrid spoiler from Delray.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Racer

That Forbes deal you sent is interesting too. BMW staying strong.. must say I love me an M-series (if I had the money, LOL).. but that whole "German handling" thing went to the birds when the new 5.0 kept up with the M3 on the track.

I do get the whole value behind the Acura thing.. in general the brand allows people to be in the luxury realm for thousands (if not tens) of dollars cheaper than it's closest competitor.. But if you ask me I'll take my ILX all day over a 1 or even 3 series. The allure to Acura for me was the same as Lexus.. I wanted the reliability of the brand under the elegant skin, while still having the elegant skin; Acura just happened to be significantly cheaper than Lexus.
M3 with euro delivery is still my dream...such sweet music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Zx29SfZTE#t=6s
Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Instructor

The BMW facility in Munich is world-class. We visit Munich fairly often and go there just to see the car displays and eat at one of the on site restaurants. Everyone who enters is treated with respect and they are truly glad to see you even if you are just looking. The foreign delivery area is also part of this complex. It's worth the trip just to see this place. (No, I don't have a BMW)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ddantzler
Work, work.

For the car though, got splash guards installed yesterday and ordered a Hybrid spoiler from Delray.
Nice! I'm eager to get some parts installed, but as winter approaches, I don't know if I should hold off. That and the gf i s expecting a nice christmas.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

WORK.. New contract, new assignments and new responsibilities

Still watching my supercharger savings account build though!!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by pabarile
Also, looks like Automobile Magazine is really enjoying the car so far in their long term test.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...013_acura_ilx/
Yes you are right quite favourable comments on it.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Drifting

WORK.. New contract, new assignments and new responsibilities

Still watching my supercharger savings account build though!!
I know you'll get it first, but I'm right there with you to get it
Old 12-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

I know you'll get it first, but I'm right there with you to get it

IF I GET IT BEFORE YOU...

I will try to be nice and not tease.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Drifting

I want to get flashpro first and see how the car drives, then I'll see whats what for the s/c
Old 12-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Instructor

We looked at all the cars like the Verano, Ford Focus, Civic but kept coming back to the ILX. Since my wife was coming out of a 2009 Civic EXL Leather with Navi, we wanted a car she was comfortable in driving and still got decent mileage. The rear view camera was top of the list>>something the Verano did not offer yet. Over all she liked the ILX fit and finish and the larger 8 inch Navigation/control screen and for some reason, the paddle shifters. The car handles better than the Civic and with a few mods I have been doing ,discussed elsewhere, we think it was a great choice. Many folks are doing a wow over the 2013 Civic but remember, the 2012 was a de contented mess (I feel sorry for those 2012 buyers that did not wait for the 2013 Civic) and they had to move fast and add some nice things to the car!. I was very vocal in the Edmunds site about why we would not buy a 2012 Civic, so the Acura ILX in my eyes was everything the 2012 Civic should have been plus a lot more. We can squawk about the price points but the ILX has outstanding crash test results and doesn't have the crappy two piece driver and passenger front door windows. It's nice also not to see yourself coming and going every hour on the road!

I wish Acura had added some nice dual chrome exhaust pipes on the ILX but I don't want it to sound like a mad bumble bee either.

No buyers remorse here!
The following 4 users liked this post by robtroxel:
pabarile (12-04-2012), rxj27 (12-04-2012), spdandpwr (12-04-2012), Trentimus (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robtroxel
We looked at all the cars like the Verano, Ford Focus, Civic but kept coming back to the ILX. Since my wife was coming out of a 2009 Civic EXL Leather with Navi, we wanted a car she was comfortable in driving and still got decent mileage. The rear view camera was top of the list>>something the Verano did not offer yet. Over all she liked the ILX fit and finish and the larger 8 inch Navigation/control screen and for some reason, the paddle shifters. The car handles better than the Civic and with a few mods I have been doing ,discussed elsewhere, we think it was a great choice. Many folks are doing a wow over the 2013 Civic but remember, the 2012 was a de contented mess (I feel sorry for those 2012 buyers that did not wait for the 2013 Civic) and they had to move fast and add some nice things to the car!. I was very vocal in the Edmunds site about why we would not buy a 2012 Civic, so the Acura ILX in my eyes was everything the 2012 Civic should have been plus a lot more. We can squawk about the price points but the ILX has outstanding crash test results and doesn't have the crappy two piece driver and passenger front door windows. It's nice also not to see yourself coming and going every hour on the road!

I wish Acura had added some nice dual chrome exhaust pipes on the ILX but I don't want it to sound like a mad bumble bee either.

No buyers remorse here!

+1
Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Yea, there's nothing a couple of mods can do to make this car perfection.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

On "mods".. I see so much hate sprayed on the ILX for it's steering and only one reviewer that said tires would be a worthwhile investment.

Just wanna comment if the steering is not of your liking I can tell you my '09 TSX sported those good overpriced Michilens too.. After replacing them with some Falkon (not even premier tires) the steering, feedback and handling all increased HUGE amounts.. You could literally turn the steering wheel twice as easy with the new tires, and tire noise was reduced on the highway. I don't know why Acura chooses these tires, I assume they think people want the numb feeling over high amounts of feedback.. and to the tires credit they do last a LONG time.

Sorry if that was random but I read a person who drove a ILX as a loaner and basically downed the entire car for that one thing. It really seems like people WANT to hate the ILX, I suspect it's because they stumbled upon the knowledge of it's Civic foundation.. Do they realize how many Honda/Acuras over the past have used the Civic foundation? CR-V even.. is it just a dressed up Civic too?
The following 2 users liked this post by Trentimus:
4cruizn (12-05-2012), rxj27 (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Racer

The onus is on us owners to combat some of the negativity...and one of the major reasons I joined this website. And while, he came on strong and acted like a moron at times, DeathKnight was honest about the negatives and positives of the car...Frankly, I felt a little disappointed more ILX owners didn't defend him when other Acura owners attacked him and the car.

I think as sales continue to "gain traction", the ILX will gain respect in its own right. In the meantime, post more threads and replies about the positives of the car.

Hell, we should start official color specific photo threads!
The following 2 users liked this post by rxj27:
4cruizn (12-05-2012), Trentimus (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Drifting

We def could start a color thread. I would love to see pics of some of the other colors that are available.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Drifting

On "mods".. I see so much hate sprayed on the ILX for it's steering and only one reviewer that said tires would be a worthwhile investment.

Just wanna comment if the steering is not of your liking I can tell you my '09 TSX sported those good overpriced Michilens too.. After replacing them with some Falkon (not even premier tires) the steering, feedback and handling all increased HUGE amounts.. You could literally turn the steering wheel twice as easy with the new tires, and tire noise was reduced on the highway. I don't know why Acura chooses these tires, I assume they think people want the numb feeling over high amounts of feedback.. and to the tires credit they do last a LONG time.

Sorry if that was random but I read a person who drove a ILX as a loaner and basically downed the entire car for that one thing. It really seems like people WANT to hate the ILX, I suspect it's because they stumbled upon the knowledge of it's Civic foundation.. Do they realize how many Honda/Acuras over the past have used the Civic foundation? CR-V even.. is it just a dressed up Civic too?
You make some valid points. And, regarding that review, I'm not sure why they thing the styling is uninspiring. In my opinion, it provides the perfect harmonization of edginess and class without being polarizing a la Acura TL.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Racer

Alright Tyson, congratulations on becoming a moderator! Now make us some sticky threads for color specific photos!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

You make some valid points. And, regarding that review, I'm not sure why they thing the styling is uninspiring. In my opinion, it provides the perfect harmonization of edginess and class without being polarizing a la Acura TL.

I find this to be the best direction Acura has went since the pre 2009 TSX came out.. It's simple-yet-sharp luxury look to it, even sporty.. The grill is my favorite from Acura, period. They knew what they wanted this car to look like outside of concept.. in the real world this car looks great. Where I feel the newer TLs look exactly like a concept drawing and are a bit too much in person. (not that I hate TLs, so don't take that wrong)

Anyways, I do agree with both of you.. it's up to us to make the car appeal to people on a real-world level. THIS CAR IS FUN, the interior is as sexy as you'd expect from an Acura, the powerplant is Honda so it's reliable and fuel effecient.

Things for a sportier ride: Better tires, new coilovers - how it should of been from the factory.

Once I hit this damn 15 day marker that seems so far far away I'll be able to post pictures of my PMM. And, confirm I donated to Acurazine's donation drive!

Quick Reply: 1G ILX Chat, Chit, and General Info Thread