1410 ILX sold in July

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fioravantim
I'm thinking of leasing the 6 speed then possibly buying it after and sending it overseas. I believe I was quoted a couple of hundred over invoice.
If it was a few hundred dollars over list including the buyout then that would be a great lease deal.

I wanted to know more specifically for financing purposes how much they will take off the list price? Since it is brand new still, I was figuring I might be lucky if I could get 1-2k off the list price.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
I agree with most of your comments. But I would expect the A3 sedan, as much as I like the "prototype" photos to be quite more expensive than the ILX, unless you get a bare bones model.
Current MMC A4 is very competitevly priced. CVT A4 Prestige $42k. It includes everything of FWD TL Advance. with LED DRL , bi xenon swiveling head lights and auto dimming side mirros.

Audi Global volume of A3 will allow it to be lower priced than ILX for similar equipment.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
What's the availabilty of the TSX? Isn't Honda claiming to lose money on each import from Japan, could they be purposely limiting the amount of cars being imported?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:02 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Current MMC A4 is very competitevly priced. CVT A4 Prestige $42k. It includes everything of FWD TL Advance. with LED DRL , bi xenon swiveling head lights and auto dimming side mirros.

Audi Global volume of A3 will allow it to be lower priced than ILX for similar equipment.

If that's the case the ILX is going to be in deep trouble.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
By real people I mean "not rental car companies". And I'm not trying to be pretentious. Just trying to be factual. For all of the comparisons I see online between the Buick and the Acura, the reality is no customers in the showroom ever mention a Buick. Maybe one or two would cross shop the Enclave against the MDX, but Buick sedans? Never. I love how people like to post the sales numbers for the Buick which has heavy fleet sales, as if that is supposed to be an advantage. When in reality, it's only hurting the resale value of those vehicles (like GM always does). Okay, so the Buick has a heated steering wheel, how about if they added a power reclined to the seat to make it a fully powered driver seat? Also, what is with the huge ugly grill that is totally nonfunctional? Same with the portholes. Totally nonfunctional.
You should not make broad-based generalizations such as "the reality is no customers in the showroom ever mention a Buick". What you may mean is no customers in YOUR showroom mention Buick. I doubt you have been in every Acura showroom in North America. Statistics may or may not confirm your claim, but you can't make a statement like that based on 1 dealer.

Also, the ILX isn't exactly setting the automotive world on fire, so maybe the reason you don't see cross-shoppers is because they're not interested in the Acura, and just went and bought the Buick.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Only folks on the internet and car journalists really compare Acura to Buick. Even with the improvements and (attempted) changes to their image, Buick is a non-starter in our town. It's only a rental, no 'real' customers buy them.
Originally Posted by 4thaccord
You should not make broad-based generalizations such as "the reality is no customers in the showroom ever mention a Buick".
First off, why shouldn't I make broad sweeping statements? Virtually every Acura hater on the various boards makes them all the time. "Acura total fail" etc.

Second, I did qualify my statement in the preceding post. Did you ignore that just to make your comment?
The following users liked this post:
spdandpwr (08-12-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Instructor

"Only folks on the internet and car journalists really compare Acura to Buick"

Did you ignore your own post?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

"Only folks on the internet and car journalists really compare Acura to Buick"

Did you ignore your own post?
It's all one paragraph. Why can't you just say "sorry I missed that part...?"
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Back on topic, I think August is going to be a strong month for the ILX, particularly manual sales...a lot of dealers have been moving those at a surprising rate considering the initial estimate of 5%. I honestly thing Honda/Acura got the target demo all wrong (in their typical fashion). I feel there is going to be a strong male, manual driving audience in their late 20s-early 30s....a type-S model is inevitable. I wish I worked in the marketing department at Honda so that I could get a glimpse of the buyer profiles.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I agree that August will be a strong month for the ILX. I'm not in the target demographic (I am in my mid-forties) but am looking to downsize, and cars like the TSX and now the ILX 6MT are in my sights. I've even test driven the Kia Optima SX-L and the Accord. Right now the ILX is at the top of the list.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Drifting

I came from the Acura TSX and think this is a better car. If you ignore the ILX's underpinnings, it doesn't seem overpriced compared to the tsx. The only thing that's missing is the tilting side view mirror when you reverse and a power passenger seat, but you get a camera, keyless entry, better phone integration, and push button start, which the tsx doesn't have. From a tech standpoint, this car has all that I need. ILX FTW. My only gripe is that the rear isn't too pretty and that acura badge back there is HUGE
Old 08-14-2012, 11:51 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Glad you're loving the ILX! Glad to hear about the sales of the manuals. I really dont know what the target demographic was for this car. I know the targeted 20/30s but it seems more idea for 30/40s demographic. Just right for people who want to downsize yet have something comfortable/sporty and nice to drive with some luxury touches. People in my age group are HP hungry,but I do see the value in this car. I like it a lot.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Instructor

You people are taking what you observe in ONE DEALER and extrapolating that as universal fact ("in Cleveland, people who buy Buicks are typically..."; "People who buy Acuras nowadays are..."; "Only folks on the internet and car journalists really compare Acura to Buick".

(You know, the same way people used to categorize people based on their race, or religion, or other narrow-minded way of thinking). That is the point I was making. Sorry if it offends, but it's all right here in black and white. Whether or not it is true, you present no facts to back up your claims.

But I have to say the funniest and most amazing part of this whole thread is an Acura salesman criticizing a Buick for having an ugly, non-functional grille. Pot, meet Kettle.

Last edited by 4thaccord; 08-15-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Acura salesman criticizing a Buick for having an ugly, non-functional grille. Pot, meet Kettle.
Whether you like or dislike the styling of the Acura shield grill, the area under it is fully functional*. Unlike the 'waterfall' grill on the Buick.

*edited to add: specifically under the grill, but above the bumper. Both cars also draw air under the bumper.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
I really dont know what the target demographic was for this car. I know the targeted 20/30s but it seems more idea for 30/40s demographic. Just right for people who want to downsize yet have something comfortable/sporty and nice to drive with some luxury touches. People in my age group are HP hungry,but I do see the value in this car. I like it a lot.
I always wonder about marketing and demographics. I think we know how to market to the HP hungry or the 'real' sporty types with ads like what we see for the FR-S. Just show the car drifting through turns with a loud soundtrack (tire smoke and squealing is good)!

But if your 'real' demographic is 30/40, what is the best approach for this customer? What if the 'real REAL' demo was even older? Could you really market to a young boomer by making an ad that said, "now that you're paying $100K a year for college for your kids, try our new, cheaper car?" LOL that probably wouldn't work.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Drifting

You people are taking what you observe in ONE DEALER and extrapolating that as universal fact ("in Cleveland, people who buy Buicks are typically..."; "People who buy Acuras nowadays are..."; "Only folks on the internet and car journalists really compare Acura to Buick".

(You know, the same way people used to categorize people based on their race, or religion, or other narrow-minded way of thinking). That is the point I was making. Sorry if it offends, but it's all right here in black and white. Whether or not it is true, you present no facts to back up your claims.

But I have to say the funniest and most amazing part of this whole thread is an Acura salesman criticizing a Buick for having an ugly, non-functional grille. Pot, meet Kettle.
I see your point...a lot of blanketing statements were made on unfounded empirical observation.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Suzuka Master

First off, why shouldn't I make broad sweeping statements? Virtually every Acura hater on the various boards makes them all the time. "Acura total fail" etc.
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
I see your point...a lot of blanketing statements were made on unfounded empirical observation.
On both sides of every argument.
spdandpwr (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Drifting

On both sides of every argument.
Is that an attack on me? I was just saying that what he was saying was true. If someone has a valid argument, I will concede a point.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
Is that an attack on me? I was just saying that what he was saying was true. If someone has a valid argument, I will concede a point.
Not at all. Just saying that there are a lot of generalizations, and I had made the same point earlier. Sometimes I get tired of this double standard. Where it's ok to come online and make baseless claims on a fan site if it's against the product. If you make a statement that 'goes against the grain' then you're called on the carpet (even if you qualified your statement).

Last edited by Colin; 08-15-2012 at 04:14 PM.
spdandpwr (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
I always wonder about marketing and demographics. I think we know how to market to the HP hungry or the 'real' sporty types with ads like what we see for the FR-S. Just show the car drifting through turns with a loud soundtrack (tire smoke and squealing is good)!

But if your 'real' demographic is 30/40, what is the best approach for this customer? What if the 'real REAL' demo was even older? Could you really market to a young boomer by making an ad that said, "now that you're paying $100K a year for college for your kids, try our new, cheaper car?" LOL that probably wouldn't work.
So true.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
*raises hand* that'd work for me, other than substitute "fancy private elementary school". . Only 1/2 joking....
Old 09-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
August sales figures are out.

1733 units including 136 hybrids

Recap:
  • June - 1081 units
  • July - 1410 units
  • August - 1733 units

So, picking up speed - still don't think it's selling like Acura would like it to.

For comparison, TSX numbers:
  • June - 2602 units
  • July - 1980 units
  • August - 2103 units
Old 09-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4cruizn
August sales figures are out.

1733 units including 136 hybrids

Recap:
  • June - 1081 units
  • July - 1410 units
  • August - 1733 units

So, picking up speed - still don't think it's selling like Acura would like it to.

For comparison, TSX numbers:
  • June - 2602 units
  • July - 1980 units
  • August - 2103 units
Inventory is filling up, we've got a good selection of 2.0 Premium and 2.0 Tech. But we only have two or three 2.0 Base, and only a handful of 2.4's. We haven't received any base Hybrids yet.

I still haven't decided what to get, but we don't have the White/En 6MT or a White/En Base Hybrid. These are the two I'm leaning towards, I returned my rental car yesterday so whichever arrives first could be the winner.
rxj27 (09-09-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:37 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inventory is filling up
Colin,

Curious on the breakdown of leather interior color choice on ILX sales? I would guess it is heavily favored towards ebony over the parchment. Granted you don't have a choice on the 2.4L.

I was surprised Acura went with parchment over taupe for the ILX. I personally liked the taupe the best out of all three color choices.

Any good rumors on Acura rethinking their decision of offering the Tech for the 2.4L?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Olla, I'm going to guess that you are correct. However, I'm not sure if this statistic is broken down.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Olladriver
Colin,

Curious on the breakdown of leather interior color choice on ILX sales? I would guess it is heavily favored towards ebony over the parchment. Granted you don't have a choice on the 2.4L.

I was surprised Acura went with parchment over taupe for the ILX. I personally liked the taupe the best out of all three color choices.

Any good rumors on Acura rethinking their decision of offering the Tech for the 2.4L?
I'm with you, I liked taupe the best as my 3G TL had it, but I think Acura got rid of it, b/c so many people complained about fading/discoloration after only about 2-3 years of use. I never had a problem b/c I cleaned the seats once a month, like your suppose to, but I guess the lazy mass never did so they prevailed. Now we are stuck with parchment or black.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Inventory is filling up, we've got a good selection of 2.0 Premium and 2.0 Tech. But we only have two or three 2.0 Base, and only a handful of 2.4's. We haven't received any base Hybrids yet.

I still haven't decided what to get, but we don't have the White/En 6MT or a White/En Base Hybrid. These are the two I'm leaning towards, I returned my rental car yesterday so whichever arrives first could be the winner.
Colin,

Congratulations on the new purchase. I guess the 6MT came in first...I was hoping for you to get the hybrid!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what kind of deal do employees get on a new car?

Go with the hybrid, I bet gas is very expensive there.