1 Year Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
1 Year Review

One year and 20k miles later, things are going pretty well. I still love the look of the car. I've gotten 2 oil changes so far with a 3rd coming up soon. I am dissapointed that I have a dozen or so rock chips in the front of the car and the hood, but I'll touch them up in the spring. Anyway, here's a quick review (in list form) of my experience with the ILX .

Things I Like
- Looks

- I'm very happy with all the comfort and convenience features of the ILX. My favorite is the keyless entry and push button start. I just throw the key in my pocket in the morning and I'm good all day.

- The Xenon projectors are great; nice and bright.

- I love the layout of the dash and console. It's logical and well thought out, looks great as well. The fact that the interior dash lights dim separately from the headlights is also extremely useful.

- I've gotten used to the big navigation screen and backup camera. It sucks to back up in a car without it now.

- The ILX interior is put together well. There are no creaks or rattles; very solid sounding (other than the shocks - see below). My dad's 3G TL suffers from many rattles, so it's nice to see an improvement.

- The car rides and handles well. The steering is tight, but can be light at high speeds.

- Great gas mileage, around 34 in the summer, dropped to 30 mpg this winter. Generally I think the 2.0L is enough power, especially with the on-demand ability from using the paddle shifters. Passing is never a hassle. But while the 2.0 is good for most day-to-day operation, the car could stand to be quicker from a dead stop.

Things That Need Improvement
- (Engine - see above)

- The road noise into the cabin can be quite loud on rough roads. I plan to add some sound deadening in the back in the spring.

- The shocks seem to be nonexistent in freezing weather and are also terribly loud. In warm weather there doesn't seem to be as much a problem with the shock noise.

- Storage. I wish there was a little more storage in the center console with a specific place to put change.

- I think wider tires and LED tail lights would also make a nice addition to future models.

Overall I am very happy with the car and my purchase. I have added the hybrid spoiler on the back and tinted the windows (35%). When it gets warm I plan on installing some sound deadening, purchasing and installing a rear sway bar, and installing the OEM lighted door sills I have. Lets hope for a nice summer and some newly paved roads Go away potholes!
Attached Thumbnails 1 Year Review-img_2887.jpg  
The following 5 users liked this post by Flyers257:
robtroxel (03-09-2014), rocket354 (03-07-2014), terdonal (03-07-2014), Timmy18 (06-27-2014), TSX69 (03-07-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Looks great - congrats on your 20,000 and your year anniversary. Amber Brownstone is a rare color around here.

I share a lot of your comments. Let's add a sunglass holder to the request for a change tray, too. Cupholders are the best in the business, though! Yes to needing LED tails. I agree that the styling is great, and I love the exclusivity. In fact, TODAY was the first time in 69,000 miles and 21 months of driving the ILX that I have pulled up at a stop light next to another ILX. Totally couldn't get the girl's attention who was driving it. Haha.

Here's to 20k more (and beyond). Keep the pics and updates coming.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you put 69,000 miles on the car already? wow!

With xenons, i get to differ regarding output. The output is poor in comparison to the 2011 MB c300 or 2009 volvo xc70.

The xc70 especially is much much better.

Headlight washer would also be nice since it keeps the headlights clean. It will be a deal breaker for my on my next car now that I have experienced lights without washers. (yes, I am spoiled, all the cars I have ever owned had either headlight washers or wipers).

You are right abour rarity of the car, there are just not that many out there. In my city, I can count 3 in total.

Originally Posted by 4cruizn
Looks great - congrats on your 20,000 and your year anniversary. Amber Brownstone is a rare color around here.

I share a lot of your comments. Let's add a sunglass holder to the request for a change tray, too. Cupholders are the best in the business, though! Yes to needing LED tails. I agree that the styling is great, and I love the exclusivity. In fact, TODAY was the first time in 69,000 miles and 21 months of driving the ILX that I have pulled up at a stop light next to another ILX. Totally couldn't get the girl's attention who was driving it. Haha.

Here's to 20k more (and beyond). Keep the pics and updates coming.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm driving at about the same rate as you; I'm approaching 30k miles at 1.5 years of ownership. I pretty much agree with your assessment. I love the car, but the road noise (and buzzy 2.4L engine noise) is definitely an issue for me, to the point that if I had to do it again I might very well not buy the car. If they fixed that, it would be the perfect car--small, nimble, stylish, 6MT, nicely appointed without a bunch of unnecessary stuff.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A local dealership loaned me the ilx yesterday and it was a nice ride. Really enjoy the keyless entry system as well as the push button.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I agree with every point you made. Pretty much a review after my own experiences.

I too may look into a little sound dampening in the future. Both to improve the sound of my stereo and less road noise. I'm thinking in the doors as well as the trunk but that is all.

As for power, I come from a 1994 integra so it works for me. The torque is still a good improvement.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with your assessment on ILX. The biggest problem I have is suspension/ shock. I installed 15" winter tires for winter, but because of freezing temperature, I feel every single bumps and pot holes on the road.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Nice write up. I have about the same car and I also added the hybrid spoiler which is far less "boy racer look" and finishes off the trunk lip well. Over all we like the car but it does ride like a truck especially in cold weather. We are looking at getting some replacement shocks. We also used "Fat mat" sound abatement material in the trunk area as well as under the rear seat. This does help greatly with the road noise.

While we like the large screen on the Tech package, I can tell you this is the worst car to program Navigation destinations into. No touch screen! Just a goofy joystick. If you do it by voice, it is a very long conversation to get it done. Way too many steps! Acura is behind on not offering a better "birds eye view" such as you would find in the Nissan's/Infinity's Navs.

The fuel economy is decent on the open road nearing 35 mpg but not as good as the 39 mpg on the 2009 Civic EXL Nav we traded in. By way, we never use premium gas and the car performs fine. No pings.

We won't buy another ILX. We Really miss an audio back up alarm such as in the Buick Verano, and they should have a power passenger seat as well on the ILX Tech.

Maybe we will go TLX if it addresses some of the ILX deficiencies next time.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by robtroxel
Maybe we will go TLX if it addresses some of the ILX deficiencies next time.
Maybe indeed. My only concern with TLX is that (IMO) the TSX was already too large for my tastes and the TLX will be ~3" larger!? Also, the lack of a manual would be a traumatic decision for me. It could require years of counseling.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
the lack of a manual would be a traumatic decision for me. It could require years of counseling.
Same here, ugh.

Production version spy photos were posted today on Temple of VTEC.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1182281
Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Same here, ugh.

I see that, and the whining is already at full song.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Same here, ugh.

I love the ridiculousness of that blackout tape over the Acura logos. "If we hide the calipers, obviously no one will recognize the brand of this metal-beaked vehicle!"
Old 03-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I see that, and the whining is already at full song.
Given Acura's track record, can you blame the masses for complaining about the ugly wheels?