When using optical cable for audio...

Old 01-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
When using optical cable for audio...

Is it worth it to get HDMI cable just for video? Or is the difference neglible enough to get component?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:55 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm no expert, but if you are going to use HDMI, I think you can just remove the optical.

What are you connecting to what? If you are connecting audio to a receiver and video directly to your monitor, then you could use both.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
My receiver (like most receivers except the highest end ones) does not have an HDMI input or output.... so I use both cables.

I have the optical audio cable running from my cable box to my receiver and an HDMI cable from my cable box to the TV. This way I get the best of both worlds... great sound and a great picture!!

So to answer your question... IMO it's definitely worth getting the HDMI cable over the component cable.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Safety Car

Too bad the freaking HDMI cable is at least $90...every freaking thing costs sooo much

My home theater budget is blown to shit
Old 01-10-2006, 01:52 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,431 Posts
^^^ya know? when i got bit by the "A/V bug" last year... I went through a phase where I felt like I had to buy the best in everything... or at least... the "higher end"... and I spent a ton of money on cables... but there will be people here (in the forum) that'll tell you that it's not necessary to pay top $$$ for good quality things like cables... so you might wanna do some research before shellin' out a ton of money... just my
Old 01-10-2006, 01:54 AM
I shoot people

oh, and if you really want a good HDMI, I kinda have one for sale... (6ft-I think)
Old 01-10-2006, 01:58 AM
Safety Car

still on the fence if i want HDMI...I'll have to see how much i have left after i buy my TV >_<
Old 01-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Safety Car

but out of curiosity...how much?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:24 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
My receiver (like most receivers except the highest end ones) does not have an HDMI input or output.... so I use both cables.

I have the optical audio cable running from my cable box to my receiver and an HDMI cable from my cable box to the TV. This way I get the best of both worlds... great sound and a great picture!!

So to answer your question... IMO it's definitely worth getting the HDMI cable over the component cable.
I do the same thing, except I use component from my cable box since I'm using the HDMI input on my TV to hook up the upconverting DVD player (Panny S97), which came with an HDMI cable. It all works out very nicely.
Check eBay for cheap cables, too.

If you don't have a 5.1/7.1 setup and you're using the TV's built-in speakers, then using HDMI to get both video + stereo audio may be worth it since it's all on one cable. Otherwise, I'd use the HDMI for video only.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bkknight369
Too bad the freaking HDMI cable is at least $90...every freaking thing costs sooo much

Heck no.

www.l-com.com ..... got a 6 foot (2 meter) cable for $42 shipped. One of the guys on the AVSForum bought one of these and took it apart to compare it to Monster. Just as good inside and the shielding is the same, if not better. He then compared the picture with each cable and said they looked the exact same.

Direct link: http://www.l-com.com/search.aspx?q=HDMI&join=All
Old 01-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Heck no.

www.l-com.com ..... got a 6 foot (2 meter) cable for $42 shipped. One of the guys on the AVSForum bought one of these and took it apart to compare it to Monster. Just as good inside and the shielding is the same, if not better. He then compared the picture with each cable and said they looked the exact same.

Direct link: http://www.l-com.com/search.aspx?q=HDMI&join=All
wow thanks a bunch!
Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

no problem
Old 01-11-2006, 11:12 AM
I shoot people

but out of curiosity...how much?
sorry for the late reply, Cox Cable's been down,

anyway, I went to look up how much my cable was worth and found out that it's worth A LOT, I didn't know because I kinda got hooked with it, so I think I'm gonna be keeping it, it's worth $350! (2 meters, Audioquest HDMI-3)
Old 01-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by is300eater
sorry for the late reply, Cox Cable's been down,

anyway, I went to look up how much my cable was worth and found out that it's worth A LOT, I didn't know because I kinda got hooked with it, so I think I'm gonna be keeping it, it's worth $350! (2 meters, Audioquest HDMI-3)

for that much, the actors better pop out of the screen and suck me off

But no doubt its videophile-rated
Old 01-12-2006, 01:38 AM
I shoot people

for that much, the actors better pop out of the screen and suck me off

But no doubt its videophile-rated
yeah, really... but again, I kinda got hooked up with it...

Long story short....

I had purchased one of "AudioQuest's" cheaper HDMI cable at "Magnolia Home Theater" which is a store within selected Best Buy's... they totally talked me into buying it saying how Monster Cable's overrated and blah blah blah... so I did... anyway, I got home and hooked up new HD up converting DVD player with the HDMI cable... and from day one I had problems with the picture... everytime I start watching a movie... I'd have this picture with funky colors and shit... but I'd have to go behind the DVD player and wiggle the cable... so I came to the conclusion that the cable was defected... so I called up Magnolia Home Theater... and they wouldn't do anything about it, because it was after 30 days (I know, it was partially my fault for waiting for so long, but still...) anyway, believe me... I was not so nice on the phone... so somewhere between the constant remindings to NOT be verbally abusive... the Magnolia Home Theater guy told me that I could just call up AudioQuest and deal with them since they are local... so I did.

I called them thinking that I was gonna get the same round around... but I didn't at all... They told me I could either send my cable in, and then they'll send me another new one... or if I'm in the area, I can just come in... which I did... I got there, they had a brand new cable ready for me with my name on it at the receptionist's desk... I did notice at the time that it was a different colored cable... but I didn't even bother to check if it was a better cable or a cheaper one... I actually thought that they had given me a cheaper one.... but I didn't care... cause I was just stoked that I got a new cable...

...well, the other night... after I posted that comment about having a cable for sale... I went to check the price... I noticed that it says "HDMI-3" on the cable... well, if you go to their site... it's $350 for a 2 meter cable!!! I'm like... "SHIT! I'm keepin' this so when I get my 50" Pioneer Elite plasma!!!"

Last edited by is300eater; 01-12-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:15 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Long story short....
I'd hate to see the long version.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why pay so much for a cable that will send 0s and 1s? This is not analog stuff?

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orde...ch&search=HDMI

$9.50 e.a. is a correct price
Old 01-12-2006, 04:36 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a bit cable crazed(I previously owned a 4 foot pair of RCA interconnects that were $6400) and I coudln't justify the super expensive HDMI cables when I bought mine. I got a 50 foot HDMI cable for around $100, it has fancy gold connectors and is rather large for a digital video/audio cable. I have no complaints and I get a better picture then I did with a component video cable that cost 4 times that!

I think I got mine from Pc cables, search the avsforum(www.avsforum.com) there has been a lot of discussion about this and where to get them. Most folks over there don't seem to believe that it makes any difference going from the inexpensive to the expensive HDMI cables.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:39 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, really... but again, I kinda got hooked up with it...

Long story short....

I had purchased one of "AudioQuest's" cheaper HDMI cable at "Magnolia Home Theater" which is a store within selected Best Buy's... they totally talked me into buying it saying how Monster Cable's overrated and blah blah blah... so I did... anyway, I got home and hooked up new HD up converting DVD player with the HDMI cable... and from day one I had problems with the picture... everytime I start watching a movie... I'd have this picture with funky colors and shit... but I'd have to go behind the DVD player and wiggle the cable... so I came to the conclusion that the cable was defected... so I called up Magnolia Home Theater... and they wouldn't do anything about it, because it was after 30 days (I know, it was partially my fault for waiting for so long, but still...) anyway, believe me... I was not so nice on the phone... so somewhere between the constant remindings to NOT be verbally abusive... the Magnolia Home Theater guy told me that I could just call up AudioQuest and deal with them since they are local... so I did.

I called them thinking that I was gonna get the same round around... but I didn't at all... They told me I could either send my cable in, and then they'll send me another new one... or if I'm in the area, I can just come in... which I did... I got there, they had a brand new cable ready for me with my name on it at the receptionist's desk... I did notice at the time that it was a different colored cable... but I didn't even bother to check if it was a better cable or a cheaper one... I actually thought that they had given me a cheaper one.... but I didn't care... cause I was just stoked that I got a new cable...

...well, the other night... after I posted that comment about having a cable for sale... I went to check the price... I noticed that it says "HDMI-3" on the cable... well, if you go to their site... it's $350 for a 2 meter cable!!! I'm like... "SHIT! I'm keepin' this so when I get my 50" Pioneer Elite plasma!!!"

That is the problem with HDMI, they have an alarmingly high rate of being defective. Most people blame it on the connectors(they're probably right) its rumored that an HDMI2 is around the corner and it will have a locking connector of some sort to reduce in field failures.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,156 Posts
http://www.computercablestore.com/

These guys have 2 meter HDMI cables for $25 before shipping. USPS Priority was quoted around $6.

I have bought Cat5e cables from them in the past, but not HDMI, yet.

Direct link to HDMI cables http://www.computercablestore.com/Se...CategoryID=483

EDIT: I now see that pccables.com is cheaper.

Last edited by doopstr; 01-26-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:05 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tireguy
That is the problem with HDMI, they have an alarmingly high rate of being defective. Most people blame it on the connectors(they're probably right) its rumored that an HDMI2 is around the corner and it will have a locking connector of some sort to reduce in field failures.
Wonderful, yet-another-connector... just what we need.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,156 Posts
Another cheap place for cables is www.monoprice.com
The people at avsforum seem to be happy with their products.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a Samsung DVD-HD950 upconverter DVD player.

I personally tested connecting it with the provided HDMI cable and with component cables to my HDTV. Difference, BARELY. I bet the HDMI cable that comes with the DVD player is one of those $15 ones.