Universal Remote, what is everyone using?

Old 12-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
haha... this is how lazy we have become... now we're starting to complain about the milliseconds it takes to find the buttons... lol! It is a BIT "challenging" due to the smaller buttons (compared to a "normal" remote), but you get used to it and figure out where everthing is eventually...

Originally Posted by dallison
don't you guys miss being able to change the channel or volume w/o looking at the remote?
i have the standard remote with the physical buttons. i know that i feel my way around it and know what to push.

do you find it difficult to push the right button w/o looking at the remote?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:55 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i am a lazy mofo and anything that distracts me from the tv is too much
Old 12-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by dallison
don't you guys miss being able to change the channel or volume w/o looking at the remote?
i have the standard remote with the physical buttons. i know that i feel my way around it and know what to push.

do you find it difficult to push the right button w/o looking at the remote?

For any normal use, i don't have to look at my mx900 at all. Buttons are well laid out and easy to find.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Is waiting in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harmony 550 FTW!

except mine fell and the screen is messed up now
Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
haha... this is how lazy we have become... now we're starting to complain about the milliseconds it takes to find the buttons... lol! It is a BIT "challenging" due to the smaller buttons (compared to a "normal" remote), but you get used to it and figure out where everthing is eventually...

I thought I was bad being pissed that I have to get up to change discs in my PS3 and that it doesn't hold multiple discs
Old 01-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Back in a TL again.

so i picked up a Harmony 880 had it on the charger and usb for some reason the battery does not charge is that the battery or the unit?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vetalik
so i picked up a Harmony 880 had it on the charger and usb for some reason the battery does not charge is that the battery or the unit?
Harmony's have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many issues like this. Pretty much the biggest reason I recommend URC, and never Harmony anymore.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Are you sure you didn't place the remote on the charger properly? I had an issue once, but had to make sure it was placed "clicked in" for it to charge.

Originally Posted by vetalik
Old 01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Back in a TL again.

Originally Posted by synth19
Are you sure you didn't place the remote on the charger properly? I had an issue once, but had to make sure it was placed "clicked in" for it to charge.
i got it to work the thing is awesome.

what had happend was i placed it on the charger the buttons lit up and thats it. I took the battery out gave it 6v for 5 mins it gave it a "jump start" placed it back on the charging dock and the battery started charging.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are all the buttons on a Harmony remote programmable?

I know you can certainly tell the remote what equipment you have, but let's say there is a button like "on demand" and you want to program a button on the harmony. Can you point the remotes at each other and 'teach it'? And cna you do that with each and every button besides the ones around the little screen?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Back in a TL again.

Originally Posted by AdamNJ

I know you can certainly tell the remote what equipment you have, but let's say there is a button like "on demand" and you want to program a button on the harmony. Can you point the remotes at each other and 'teach it'? And cna you do that with each and every button besides the ones around the little screen?

it does have the learn option as far as every button have not got that far
Old 01-03-2008, 04:41 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by AdamNJ

From doing a lot of research in prep for my harmony comming any day now. YES, you can program it to have an "on demand" button.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Originally Posted by CLpower
From doing a lot of research in prep for my harmony comming any day now. YES, you can program it to have an "on demand" button.
that was just an example...but I can program any button on the remote (except for maybe power on/off), with anything that uses in IR remote?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM
FOR SALE - BM

i have a Phillips ProntoPro NG TSU7000 . i absolutely love it.. my fiance hates it.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Back in a TL again.

my light switch i can do with the harmony 880. now i want electric blinds.

auto door closer would be cool.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:24 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Just got the Harmony 550 for a Christmas present. My wife thinks it's a Godsend.
Kids like the one button gaming. Only downside to it that I've found, it can slip between seat cushions very easily (thin)
Old 01-07-2008, 10:57 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Got my 880 today and everything is up and running. I cannot BELIEVE how easy this was. I thought I was going to have a hell of a time and it literally took me about 15 minutes max!

So far i'm in love I haven't had to teach it to do anything yet, but we'll see what comes about the next few days.

BTW, how do I set up custom icon pictures? Like my PS3 is a pic of a PS3?

Now it's time to buy that USB PS3 dongle so I can turn that on and off and control DVD controls. I wish there was something for the wii.

I'm extra stoked it will control my Apple TV, I didn't think it'd be able to do that.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:38 PM
teh Senior Instigator

having an 880 problem.

So, it does everything flawlessly, but in the last few days when I go to watch the Wii, it sets everything up perfectly except it doesn't switch the input on the TV, no matter how much you try! (going through the help menu, etc)

It switches the input for every other system hooked up to it, except the Wii. I've even gone in, deleted the wii, and reinstalled it!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

having an 880 problem.

So, it does everything flawlessly, but in the last few days when I go to watch the Wii, it sets everything up perfectly except it doesn't switch the input on the TV, no matter how much you try! (going through the help menu, etc)

It switches the input for every other system hooked up to it, except the Wii. I've even gone in, deleted the wii, and reinstalled it!
Welcome to the world of Harmony. I was unlucky enough to have to install one today. They purchased a URC MX900 with a MRF350 base for RF control, and moved their excisting Harmony upstairs. I received errors trying to connect the remote to my computer. The software setup everything with the correct input labels, but apperently there were no codes set to those inputs. I had to go and assign the IR codes to each input. Once programmed, the thing was horribly slow to control everything. In contrast, the MX900 is lightning fast and works flawlessly without any issues during programming. God I hate harmony.

Sorry for the rant CLpower, I know that doesn't help you, it's just fresh in my mind.

When you go into devices on your remote, and select the tv, and then press on the input that your wii is connected to, does the remote change the tv input? If it doesn't, then your issue may actually be similar to the issue I had today, where you would have to go and manually assign that inputs IR code. I have seen Harmony's do some REALLY odd stuff in my time. I've seen them just delete entire macros on their own, so I wouldn't put something like that happening past it. Give it a try and let me know how that goes.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
having an 880 problem.

Have you specifically gone through the "Troubleshoot" option in the Harmony software on your computer for the Wii activity?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Master Graphic Artist

I have the 880 as well and have issues when I try to switch from 1 activity to another. ie. Watching Comcast then trying to play Wii or Playstation.

1st - The remote doesn't always switch the input on my Onkyo 605.

2nd - It leaves the power on for my HD DVR when switching out of TV. And when I switch back on it toggles "off"

I guess I should try troubleshooting it as well. Still this looks cooler and functions like it should most of them time like it should. And guests think its cool!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I've only had issues when the remote is pointed directly at the devices or something gets in the way at the wrong time (like the dog).
Old 01-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

^ werd. the only time I've had issues with my harmony is if all the devices are not in direct view of the harmony. then, everything might turn off except for one component... but, everything gets resolved simply by ushing the help button "Is your TV on?" "did that fix the problem?" etc....
Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
I've only had issues when the remote is pointed directly at the devices or something gets in the way at the wrong time (like the dog).
Yep, I've had that issue with mine to and I had to adjust the delay and timing of the commands. When I got my new TV, it started doing it again, so I'm going to have to tweak it some.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:13 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
I have the 880 as well and have issues when I try to switch from 1 activity to another. ie. Watching Comcast then trying to play Wii or Playstation.

1st - The remote doesn't always switch the input on my Onkyo 605.

2nd - It leaves the power on for my HD DVR when switching out of TV. And when I switch back on it toggles "off"

I guess I should try troubleshooting it as well. Still this looks cooler and functions like it should most of them time like it should. And guests think its cool!

I messed around a little bit and couldn't fix it. I'm going to try switching the input the Wii is actually plugged in to. I rarely use my wii so it's really not bothering me right now.

For the record, the remote switches input for EVERYTHING else.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

I messed around a little bit and couldn't fix it. I'm going to try switching the input the Wii is actually plugged in to. I rarely use my wii so it's really not bothering me right now.

For the record, the remote switches input for EVERYTHING else.
have you tried what I said yet?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:41 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Yes, if I go into devices it will change when you push Video Input 3V2

V2 isn't an option in the standard input selections when in logitechs software
Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes, if I go into devices it will change when you push Video Input 3V2

V2 isn't an option in the standard input selections when in logitechs software
Sounds exactly like the issue. When you go through the setup (you can rerun the setup for just that device), when it gets to the point where it asks for the tv input, you can click to say it isn't there. It will take you through some steps to create the input command. It asks if you have one button on your remote to chance inputs or if each input has it's own button. Select that last one. Name it whatever you want and then browse to the correct code in the drop down menu that will appear. Since it does work in the device menu, that means the code is in the remote. So it should be there, probably labeled something like InputVideo2 or something like that. It's a pain in the ass to have to go through this process, but it should work.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM
teh Senior Instigator

thanks bud, i messed around with not these exact details before I made my post and screwed everything up so in a rush I put it all back to "stock"

I'll go further into it today
Old 01-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

thanks bud, i messed around with not these exact details before I made my post and screwed everything up so in a rush I put it all back to "stock"

I'll go further into it today
Alright, let me know if you have any problems. If you want I can log into your account and see if I can clear up any issues if you get stuck.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:19 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want the universal remote from the movie "Click".
Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
Sounds exactly like the issue. When you go through the setup (you can rerun the setup for just that device), when it gets to the point where it asks for the tv input, you can click to say it isn't there. It will take you through some steps to create the input command. It asks if you have one button on your remote to chance inputs or if each input has it's own button. Select that last one. Name it whatever you want and then browse to the correct code in the drop down menu that will appear. Since it does work in the device menu, that means the code is in the remote. So it should be there, probably labeled something like InputVideo2 or something like that. It's a pain in the ass to have to go through this process, but it should work.
I've got the Harmony for Xbox 360 and been having a few issues trying to tweak it for best performance. I have a Samsung LN-S2341W and the input setup/switching isn't working by default (the "my tv is a samsung" mode doesn't work). I could get it to switch to the correct input by having it press "input next" to cycle around until it finds the correct one but that takes too long. I even had to have it learn the proper code from the "source" button on my original remote because the database defaults weren't going anything. So then I reset my tv back to default settings, and for activities I added the button press which will switch directly to the proper input. It works okay, but I think I am going to try what was mentioned above.

Another issue that I have seen is that when switching activities it takes too long to attempt to change the input on the tv. So the TV is already on, yet it seems to wait for the power on delay before sending the input change. It shouldn't do that since the tv is on (and the remotes knows that since it turned it on w/ another activity).

Anyone have that issue?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
I walked into Best Buy and told one of their employee, "I want cheapest universal remote you got that has the color LCD screen." Then I left with the Harmony 880. So far I like it a lot. It was pretty easy to set up.

The color screen was a big selling point for me.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
I walked into Best Buy and told one of their employee, "I want cheapest universal remote you got that has the color LCD screen." Then I left with the Harmony 880. So far I like it a lot. It was pretty easy to set up.

The color screen was a big selling point for me.
A color screen is the LEAST important thing to me on a universal remote.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:45 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Love UEI's new Nevo S70, but still no direct Z-Wave support (only Z-Wave to it's own base station). A remote without Z-Wave is useless to me.

They spent the money on putting the transmitter in the device why not use it for all it's potential? I don't get it.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
A color screen is the LEAST important thing to me on a universal remote.
Trust me, the color screen is way more important than functionality and compatability.

I'm kidding, I bought my dad one for his birthday in November and fell in love with it. That was the first universal remote I had ever used and it ended up being really easy to set up. Much easier than I had anticipated, so I went and bought one a few weeks ago for myself.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
FYI -- Amazon has Logitech Harmony 890 Advanced Universal Remote for $300 - $100 coupon BNXVL3GI = $200. There is also a 10% rebate available making it $180.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:38 PM
teh Senior Instigator

damnit
Old 01-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by NetEditor
FYI -- Amazon has Logitech Harmony 890 Advanced Universal Remote for $300 - $100 coupon BNXVL3GI = $200. There is also a 10% rebate available making it $180.
Is the 10% rebate already unavailable? I can't seem to find info about it. The coupon still works though.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Not Asian

Nevermind, found it after a little bit of googling. You can get the 890 on Amazon for around $166 after mail-rebate. Pretty sweet deal.

Quick Reply: Universal Remote, what is everyone using?