Samsung 61" DLP™ HDTV

Old 09-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Samsung 61" DLP™ HDTV

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

Anyone own this tv set. I'm looking into purchasing a new TV and this set looks awesome. I saw it on display at Circuit City. What are your guys opinions on this set? Would you perfer Plasma over this and why?

Thnx for your opinions
Old 09-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its in my living room. Great set. I can't comment on this over plasma.

Buy it!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Instructor

I got the 50 inch and love it. The girl convinced me to go DLP over plasma.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Well you'll never get a TV that big or for that price if you go plasma.

So if you want a big TV (over 42"), then that TV is a great set and you will love it. If you want a smaller TV like a 42", then look into plasma.

I have a 50" Sammy DLP and the 42" Sammy plasma and I love them both.... so you'll be happy with either technology... just depends how big of a TV you want and what you want to spend.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,483 Posts
Juniorbean, don't hate me for what I'm about to say... BUT before I go on... as you may already know... I, myself, am a Samsung DLP owner... and I STILL LOVE IT!

But with that said... I was in Circuit City the other day, they had a HUGE Mitsubishi
DLP 1080p next to a HUGE Sammy DLP... also 1080p (I can't remember the exact size, but they were both 60"+), anyway... I have to admit... the MitsuDLP looked better... I mean... don't get me wrong... they both looked awesome... and maybe it was the slightly different angle... with the, very... bright flourescent lighting... but after about 5 minutes of staring back and forth... I would've taken the Mitsu...

so... WDP-Acura TL, it might be worth going in (physically) and check out the Mitsubishi's
Old 09-20-2006, 01:08 AM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by is300eater
Juniorbean, don't hate me for what I'm about to say... BUT before I go on... as you may already know... I, myself, am a Samsung DLP owner... and I STILL LOVE IT!

But with that said... I was in Circuit City the other day, they had a HUGE Mitsubishi
DLP 1080p next to a HUGE Sammy DLP... also 1080p (I can't remember the exact size, but they were both 60"+), anyway... I have to admit... the MitsuDLP looked better... I mean... don't get me wrong... they both looked awesome... and maybe it was the slightly different angle... with the, very... bright flourescent lighting... but after about 5 minutes of staring back and forth... I would've taken the Mitsu...

so... WDP-Acura TL, it might be worth going in (physically) and check out the Mitsubishi's
i like the mitsu...6 color system, brighter bulb, netcommand and the flat panel LCDs have motorized swivels hahahaha
Old 09-20-2006, 03:07 AM
Safety Car

jesus, 61", think that's a big enough TV?
Old 09-20-2006, 06:44 AM
Instructor

The people at Circuit City said that buying a 1080p tv right now is not worth the money because you need to buy a $1000 blue ray player or something like that. Also HD cable wont be 1080p ready for a few years and by that time 1080p's will be much cheaper, so I would stay away from the extra money.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:22 AM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by mrshowbiz122
The people at Circuit City said that buying a 1080p tv right now is not worth the money because you need to buy a $1000 blue ray player or something like that. Also HD cable wont be 1080p ready for a few years and by that time 1080p's will be much cheaper, so I would stay away from the extra money.
true story, but people in the market for a TV might as well get a futureproof tv. all u can get in 1080p right now is 360, ps3, hd-dvd, and bluray, no broadcasts are in 1080p yet
Old 09-20-2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by yunginTL
true story, but people in the market for a TV might as well get a futureproof tv. all u can get in 1080p right now is 360, ps3, hd-dvd, and bluray, no broadcasts are in 1080p yet
360 is not 1080p. It's only 720p. Not only is this the case b/c it uses component cables, but that is just what the output is. Check the switch on the cables... it's either 720p or 480p.

So the only way to get true 1080p is PS3, BluRay, or HD-DVD... and you'll only get 1080p via HDMI.

Last edited by juniorbean; 09-20-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

While there is some truth to this post (1080p broadcast via cable/sat is years away), the rest is garbage (and that's not a knock on you as much as it is Circuit City).

Have you ever watched a football game in 1080i (CBS broadcasts in 1080i)?? Or any sporting even in 1080i for that matter on a TV larger then 47"?? You get terrible motion blur/artifacting. The larger the TV, the more you notice it. I get very little of it on my 50" Sammy DLP, however, when I purchased the Sony 61" LCD last year, it was horrible. Made the game almost painful to watch. It looked awesome one minute, but not the next. The other problem is that this happened with any 1080i broadcast where the camera was moving. So not just sports... and not just CBS. Needless to say that set was returned.

Now enter 1080p. These TVs up-convert ALL signals to 1080p. This means then when you're watching any interlaced broadcast (480i, 1080i) the TV is converting it to 1080p. Progressive does not display this motion blur/artifacting b/c of the way it "redraws" the images. Now, put on that same football game or sporting event from CBS and you'll notice that the motion blur/artifacting is pretty much gone. I've watched football games on a 1080p set as large as 70" (at my neighbors) and the image on his screen is just as good as it is on my 50", meaning. Had his TV not been a 1080p set, the game would have been almost unwatchable b/c of the motion blur/artifacting that would have been present on a screen that large.

So, bottom line, if you're looking for a TV larger then 50", 1080p still has many benefits you can enjoy NOW. In addition, the pricing of 1080p sets has dropped to the point where it is comparable to where 720p sets were a year ago. That means that the pricing of 1080p sets will not be dropping that much more until the next generation of resolution is release.... which should be pretty far away since we haven't even caught up to 1080p yet. So whenever someone is looking to buy a big TV, first thing I recommend is that they get 1080p. This way they can enjoy a better picture now and be reasy for the future. There's a reason that 720p/1080i sets are so cheap now... and it's b/c they are on clearance. Go 1080p... pricing is right, and there will not be a need to upgrade for a very long time...

Last edited by juniorbean; 09-20-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't hate you. In fact, the Mitsubishi is on my list. I know, I know... hard to believe coming from me. But, in the quest to choose which 1080p set I want Mistubishi made the list and is actually leading the way! The set is very impressive... and any set that looks as good, or better then the new Sammy sets but is more cost effective gets high praise in my book. I'm still in the research phase... but the more I read, the more I'm leaning Mistubishi.

Plus, my neighbor has an in with a Mistu rep.. .so I can get a killer deal on a set! That won't be the deciding factor, but, if the price is right, may contribute.

BTW, the Mistu sets sold at CC or BB are either 56" or 65"... so if it appeared close to the size of the Sammy 61"... it was the 65" model... which is the model I'm looking at.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I've been looking at this TV for nearly a year I think. But I'm just too cheap to break down and buy it. This is the one I'm eventually going to get though. I think its the best out of all the one's I've looked at. I think it has a much better picture than that Sony SXRD.

I see its still $3200, I would think it would have gone down by now. It may be my Christmas gift to myself this year.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

^ It has gone down... and quite a bit too. It was almost $4k when it was released!

And it's actually on sale for $2949 this week in CC and BB... so prices may fall a tad bit more... but they're pretty much on par with where the 720p version of this set was a year ago... so they won't be falling much further unless there's a DLP technology breakthrough which drops the price it costs them to make the sets.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:51 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
My dad has it, and it is forcing me to buy a new TV
Old 09-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Instructor

The 50' Sammy DLP I got from Circuit city was $1700. The same TV but 1080p is $2400. This is not a close enough dif to buy 1080p. Say it takes 2 years for cable to be 1080p. Why would you not wait buy the 1080p then? The technology will be better and much cheaper. The main reason your lcd had the static on it is because thats what lcds do in high def on big screen tvs. No reason to spend the extra $700 dollars when you cant use the full TV for a few years. Doesnt make sense if you ask me. You can buy a kick ass surround sound system with the extra money. Go that route
Old 09-20-2006, 03:34 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA

this is my thoughts, if i'm buying a TV now, i want it to last a LONG time, so i'm going to buy that technology whether it takes a year or two to implement
Old 09-20-2006, 03:38 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by juniorbean

I don't hate you. In fact, the Mitsubishi is on my list. I know, I know... hard to believe coming from me. But, in the quest to choose which 1080p set I want Mistubishi made the list and is actually leading the way! The set is very impressive... and any set that looks as good, or better then the new Sammy sets but is more cost effective gets high praise in my book. I'm still in the research phase... but the more I read, the more I'm leaning Mistubishi.

Plus, my neighbor has an in with a Mistu rep.. .so I can get a killer deal on a set! That won't be the deciding factor, but, if the price is right, may contribute.

BTW, the Mistu sets sold at CC or BB are either 56" or 65"... so if it appeared close to the size of the Sammy 61"... it was the 65" model... which is the model I'm looking at.

FYI, my dad ditched his mitsu for his sammy. (well moved the mitsu upstairs). I don't remember how much it was, but it was a 56". The 61" sammy he got was about $1000 less and the picture was 100x's better.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

OK, let's break this down....

The 50' Sammy DLP I got from Circuit city was $1700. The same TV but 1080p is $2400. This is not a close enough dif to buy 1080p. Say it takes 2 years for cable to be 1080p. Why would you not wait buy the 1080p then? The technology will be better and much cheaper.
DLP technology isn't changing much, 1080p technology is what it is... it's 1080p and that's it, so it isn't changing. So then, why wait when you can have it now? My PS3 will support it. The BluRay player that comes with the PS3 will support it. And the HD-DVD drive that I can either add on to my 360 for ~$200 or buy as a stand alone will support it. That's reason enough for me. Additionally, prices are just about where they were when 720p/1080i TVs were mainstream... and when the 720p/1080i sets were mainstream, those prices stayed steady for years. Same will happen with 1080p unless a new resolution comes out in the next 1-3 years that no one has heard of yet. So waiting does not save you much money. The DLP you got is so cheap b/c the stores are clearing out the older sets. Just like you can buy a 2006 Camry for cheap b/c the new redesigned 2007 models are out. Sure, you can buy the 2006 Camry and save a bunch of money... then wait until 2008 to buy the redesigned Camry and maybe save some chump change, but why buy two over 2 years when you can just buy the better one now?

Additionally, the Sammy 1080p 50" DLP is $2249 at Circuit City right now after you take all of the discounts. Is the extra $550 worth it for 1080p... absolutely. Let's say that you never buy a BluRay, HD-DVD, or PS3. Even then the 1080p TV is better then the 720p TV b/c the new set converts all inputs to 1080p. So if you compare the set you bought to the 1080p set using technology that's available today (say ESPN-HD over cable), the 1080p set will look better. Plus, if I buy a 720p set now, then another TV, this time a 1080p set, I'm buying 2 TVs over the course of a few years. Why not just buy the 1080p set now and be done with it? If you're spending that much on a TV, makes sense just to do it right now rather then to have to do it twice.

The main reason your lcd had the static on it is because thats what lcds do in high def on big screen tvs. No reason to spend the extra $700 dollars when you cant use the full TV for a few years. Doesnt make sense if you ask me. You can buy a kick ass surround sound system with the extra money. Go that route
Please tell me this isn't your real reply to what I mentioned above. First of all, I had no static. There was motion blurring/artifacting, nothing to do with static, everything to do with an interlaced signal verses a progressive. Secondly that's not what LCDs do on big screen TV's in High Def . That's what they do in 720p/1080i maybe, but that just proves my point further. Go to a store that sells 1080p LCDs. You may need to go to a higher end electronics store and not BB or CC. Doesn't matter if the sets are rear-projection or flat panel, just be sure it's LCD. Now, compare the picture of the 720p/1080i set on the same size screen and brand screen of a 1080p set. The 1080p set not only LOOKS much better with regards to color and clarity, but exhibits little to no artifacting. This is another huge benefit of 1080p, especially on larger screens... again... illustrating my point.

So while it may not make sense to YOU to purchase a 1080p set now... it completely makes sense to me as the benefits far outweigh the small price difference.

Last edited by juniorbean; 09-20-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CLpower
FYI, my dad ditched his mitsu for his sammy. (well moved the mitsu upstairs). I don't remember how much it was, but it was a 56". The 61" sammy he got was about $1000 less and the picture was 100x's better.
Those are the "old" Mistu's (old is in quotes since it's probably relatively new). Mitsubishi just released their 2006 line recently and the new sets look sick. They have the new 6 wheel color wheel which blows the color wheel technology Sammy uses out of the water. The big X-factor is the new LED light engine Sammy introduced in their 56" DLP. That release may keep me with Samsung. Not sure yet... still doing my research... and you know me.. I'm a huge Samsung fan... so I'm looking for any little reason to stay onboard
Old 09-20-2006, 03:55 PM
trill recognize trill

mistubishi is realll generous to authorized dealers gettin TVs, they have some promotion goin on for 50% off msrp on any dlp they are offering...
Old 09-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

http://circuitcity.com/ssm/Mitsubish...oductDetail.do

This tv looks pretty good, i can't remember looking much at the quality when i was at circuit city. i didnt know mitsubishi make good quality tv sets. I will go in the store to look closely at the pic quality compared to the Samsung. Its 4 inchs smaller and 500 dollars less than the Sammy.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WDP-Acura TL
http://circuitcity.com/ssm/Mitsubish...oductDetail.do

This tv looks pretty good, i can't remember looking much at the quality when i was at circuit city. i didnt know mitsubishi make good quality tv sets. I will go in the store to look closely at the pic quality compared to the Samsung. Its 4 inchs smaller and 500 dollars less than the Sammy.

another thing, do a lot people buy the extended warranty for their tv sets? Is it really that necessary and do these tv sets break down withing 4 yrs?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:13 PM
I shoot people

another thing, do a lot people buy the extended warranty for their tv sets? Is it really that necessary and do these tv sets break down withing 4 yrs?
...like I've said a dozen times before... buy from Costco and you don't need such thing... in fact, they don't even offer an extended warranty... you can take it back anytime... but I highly recommend keeping the receipt somewhere where you'll never lose it... tape it to the back of the TV or something... cause when you walk in with a merchandise WITH the receipt, there is absolutely no hassle in the return process.

(...and NO, I don't own Costco stocks)

Last edited by is300eater; 09-20-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

...like I've said a dozen times before... buy from Costco and you don't need such thing... in fact, they don't even offer an extended warranty... you can take it back anytime... but I highly recommend keeping the receipt somewhere where you'll never lose it... tape it to the back of the TV or something... cause when you walk in with a merchandise WITH the receipt, there is absolutely no hassle in the return process.

thanks man, i went on costco website and im getting the membership card.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:48 PM
I shoot people

thanks man, i went on costco website and im getting the membership card.
...you might wanna consider the executive card since you'll be making a rather big purchase, cause you get like 1 or 2 % back at the end of the year! the membership pays for itself and more!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:53 PM
trill recognize trill

anyone else have their opinion to his question....i really wanna know if its worth it, we dont have costco's around here
Old 09-20-2006, 09:26 PM
HOOK EM HORNS

big i have a 65' mitsu DLP and couldnt be more satisfied, looked better than teh sony and samsung, look at my thread about it
Old 09-20-2006, 09:29 PM
HOOK EM HORNS

for a DLP if the bulb breaks which have a 3 yr life expectancy, it costs around $300, the warranty is a little more than that, my opinion is not to have the warranty and just wait for the bulbs to get cheaper and buy one then
Old 09-20-2006, 11:40 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by HyDrOpOnIkToKa
for a DLP if the bulb breaks which have a 3 yr life expectancy, it costs around $300, the warranty is a little more than that, my opinion is not to have the warranty and just wait for the bulbs to get cheaper and buy one then
...yeah, I know someone that had to do that... (his wife leaves the TV on all day long... most of the time she doesn't even watches it... she just go about doing chores around the house
)... anyway, it cost him around $300 shipped with express delivery and he "popped" it in himself...
Old 09-21-2006, 12:15 AM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by HyDrOpOnIkToKa
but doesnt the warranty also replace the item if you have up to 3 problems with it? thats what happened with our projection tv, and we got credit for what we paid for it and went out and bought a 1080p dlp mitsu with it! shit was badassssss
Old 09-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by yunginTL
but doesnt the warranty also replace the item if you have up to 3 problems with it? thats what happened with our projection tv, and we got credit for what we paid for it and went out and bought a 1080p dlp mitsu with it! shit was badassssss
Yup. I actually bought a TV from Circuit City 3 years ago and the manager there told me that right before the warranty expired, make 3 different service calls and I'll get full price for my TV to apply towards another. Worked out beautifully

But yes, on the DLPs, I get the extended 5 warranty. One bulb replacement and I make my money back on it... not to mentioned I'm covered for 5 years, which means at least 2-3 bulb replacements and protection if anything else goes wrong.

Keep in mind that bulbs can go as quickly as one year. It all depends on your TV watching habits, how often (and quickly) you turn the TV on and off, if you let the bulb warmup properly, etc. My neighbor had their DLP bulb replaced after only one year. Turns out the JVC DLPs are notorious for quick bulb replacement. That means that by the time their warranty is up, they would have saved on 3-4 bulb replacements in addition to their first one. So that means they would have saved between $900-$1200 over 5 years. Makes the warranty seem like a complete bargain to me...
Old 09-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't get this? Are you going to lug your TV back and forth to the store to return it every time a bulb goes out? This makes no sense. If you buy from an electronic store the warranty pays for itself after one bulb replacement. Anything that happens beyond that you're covered and ahead of the game.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:57 AM
trill recognize trill

I don't get this? Are you going to lug your TV back and forth to the store to return it every time a bulb goes out? This makes no sense. If you buy from an electronic store the warranty pays for itself after one bulb replacement. Anything that happens beyond that you're covered and ahead of the game.
warranty on tv's FTW, thats probably one of the few things id buy warranty for...
Old 09-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

What are your guys opinion on the LED Samsung projection tv sets? Dam they are expensive. I did compare the two side by side and the led tvs have deeper and richer color and the bestbuy employee said the leds will out live the dlp blubs.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Well, they were right... the LED Light Engine will outlive the DLP bulbs... they have to b/c they are not replacable like the DLP bulbs are!!

The LED sets are hot, and that is what I am waiting for. Right now they only have the LED Light Engine on the 56" DLP set, so I'm waiting for the 61" to get this feature. Plus, as the LEDs work their way into the other sets and the bulbs are removed prices will drop as it becomes mainstream for Samsung DLP sets.

I'm also waiting until they release next year's models so they can work out the kinks. I've actually read nothing but good feedback on them, so I guess they got it right the first time around, however, I typically shy away from new technology introductions and wait until the second gens come out... but that's just me.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Well i made the purchase. im getting the 61 inch samsung dlp 1080p getting delivered wed, and im looking foward to it.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Sweet! Enjoy it!