Need help setting up surround sound... (HDTV)

Old 08-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Acurazine OG.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help setting up surround sound... (HDTV)

Normally, I am really good at this sort of thing... but, I am stumped right now.

I just moved into my new house, and... in trying to hook up my theatre, I have come to a problem. The only difference in my new home is the HDTV through Comcast...

Here is what I have:

Sony tv
Yamaha DTS receiver
Bose Acoustimass 7
Boston Acoustics Sub

The TV picture looks great, although I am temporarily running cables since Comcast brought me a box without HDMI. I've got the red,white, red, green, & blue going from the cable box to the TV, which is fine (I think).

What do I have to use to get my sound running through the Bose/Boston set up? I already have all of the speakers wired, I am only confused on which cables I need to run, TV to Receiver, or receiver to box, or what? HELP!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
You can unplug those red and white cables from the tv, those are the audio cables. Instead of sending the audio to the tv, you want to send it to the receiver, which you would do with an opitical cable.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Sounds like you just need to run an opitcal cable from your cable box to your receiver.

You can do that, or you can just run the Red and White RCA cables for audio.

Also, since it's an HD box and you say there's no HDMI, there should be a DVI connection on the cable box... so you'll need to get a DVI/HDMI cable so you can use the better cables for video. Then just hook up the audio as Beetroot or I suggested and you should be good to go.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator

haha, got you before your edit Beet

FYI Chris, the regular HD boxes use the DVI/HDMI cables and the HD-DVR boxes use HDMI. I have both and those are the output each box has. So like I said above, get a DVI/HDMI cable for video, then use with either the Red/White RCA's for sound, or if you want digital sound... get a digital audio cable (either optical or component depending on what your receiver supports).
Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
:ibsomeonetellsyoubosesux:
Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Acurazine OG.

Thanks guys... so... for now, just unhook my r/w (a/v) from my TV, and plug them into my receiver...

Then... just wait until comcast sends me my DVR box, with HDMI, and use an HDMI cable for the video.

But... if I run the r/w to the receiver, I won't be able to watch TV without the surround on, right? Isn't there a way around that?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Acurazine OG.

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
:ibsomeonetellsyoubosesux:
Probably, but.... when my shit is on, it sounds great, especially with that Boston sub.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisKelly5
Thanks guys... so... for now, just unhook my r/w (a/v) from my TV, and plug them into my receiver...

Then... just wait until comcast sends me my DVR box, with HDMI, and use an HDMI cable for the video.

But... if I run the r/w to the receiver, I won't be able to watch TV without the surround on, right? Isn't there a way around that?

Right, you would only have sound with the receiver on.

If you want to be able to use the TV's speakers also, keep the red/white plugged in there, and run a seperate audio cable from the cable box to the receiver for the surround sound. Just get a cheap optical cable.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Acurazine OG.

If you want to be able to use the TV's speakers also, keep the red/white plugged in there, and run a seperate audio cable from the cable box to the receiver for the surround sound. Just get a cheap optical cable.
Good deal... thanks.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Senior Moderator

FYI, I don't have any sound through my TV and the internal speakers are set to off. I use the receiver 100% of the time for everything (TV, radio, DVD, PS2/XBOX360, and so on)....