LED TV's: Better than LCD or just thinner?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Dem1K
dom

First off, congrats on the purchase! Where did you end up buying the G15 at?

Anyways, trust me when I say this (considering this is my first plasma as well), I was and am paranoid about IR. Which, when it came to the first 120-200 hours, I was on top of it. But here's the thing, I decided NOT to use the break-in slides. Rather, I left the picture set at Normal and was VERY picky as to what could be watched on the TV. I mainly watched all high def, and made sure there were no static logos on any channel. Also, if I watched any non-HD content, I just used the zoom function, and if necessary, adjusted the zoom so that the static logo would be out of the screen.

Also, don't judge the picture yet. For one, you're using shitty settings for the most part, so wait until you can mess with the picture settings, such as D Nice on avsforums with his SM offsets. Next, the picture, after the first 120-200 hours, will get noticeably better. Regardless, I would scope out the avsforums and keep up to date on the G series threads and Calibration. Now that I'm around 300 hours, I have it set up quite nicely until D Nice posts his offsets. Good luck, and be stingy with the remote for now! haha

`John
Thanks. Picked it up at Future Shop (owned by Best Buy up here) Haggled $500 off the price.

I keep telling myself to wait and see but I only have 30 days to exchange. I haven't heard anything bad about this set so I hope you're right about it getting better. Looking back, I wasn't at all happy with the PQ in the A750 when first got it until I played with settings so this should be no different.

I'm making sure about filling the screen (trained the wife ) And ya, the settings aren't ideal so its tough to tell. I played a standard def DVD of Superman Returns and played with settings just to get an idea and there are big improvements when you dial the contrast up.

And good advice. AVS forum here I come. Let me know what type of settings you're using if you get a chance. Did you have to go into the service menu?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:09 AM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
is there a brick and mortar shop i can goto to check out the G10 in person?

i went to worst buy and in the magnolia section they only had the V10..

i honestly cant think of another store other than bestbuy.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Is there even a point? most of those TV's aren't set up properly anyway. The G15 at the store I bought from looked like the worst TV in the store. Unless you're concerned about esthetics.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Got a Job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mizouse, none of the best buys around you have the G10 on the showroom? What about Sears? Regardless, just like Dom said, don't trust how any TV looks at the store. They're all setup with "store front" settings, that are just horrendous. But yeah check out Sears, or maybe Frys?

I kinda wanna scope out the V10...
Old 07-12-2009, 01:42 PM

yes there is a point, because i would like to actually see the TV in person than just look at it by pictures.

im not really trying to judge the picture quality, i just want to see the set.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:26 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mizouse
yes there is a point, because i would like to actually see the TV in person than just look at it by pictures.

im not really trying to judge the picture quality, i just want to see the set.
Like I said, its about esthetics.

BTW - The one area where this TV is terrible....sound. If I bump up the bass and treble even a bit, there is bad distortion. In fact there's some distortion if I have the volume up too high. I'll likely pick up a Sony soundbar anyway.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 AM

well for me i just want to see what the set looks like in person, reading the reviews i know it will get good picture.

also my mom is the type that likes to see the picture quality and how the set looks in person.

also looking at the V10 at bestbuy, it doesnt seem all that thin to me

is it normal that when you put your arm near a plasma it feels like your arm is getting baked?

happened when i was checking out the plasmas at magnolia and my friends brothers kuro

i dont recall the pioneer i have right now acting like that
Old 07-13-2009, 07:14 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

The V10 is certainly nicer to look at than the G10/15.

I haven't noticed any heat coming off the TV. Maybe I haven't had it on long enough?

But I was at my cousin's place and they have a ~2 year old 58" Hitachi plasma and you could feel the heat coming off that thing from about a foot away.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Got a Job!

my g10 produces little to no heat, except for in the back

Mizouse, the V10 is 2", so it's by no means SUPER thin, but my G10 is 4" and it's pretty damn thin. I don't see the need or purpose for much thinner.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Dem, have you checked for any IR? I'm probably too paranoid but I was watching the HR Derby last night and switched the Input so that the TV would remain on but have a black screen. You could see the ESPN bar at the top as well as a few other things. I was

So I put it on HDNET which was playing a movie, went out for about 20 minutes came back tried again and it was perfectly clear, no IR. I guess I'm still worried and curious about burn in being possible.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Got a Job!

dom, during the first 120-150 hrs, I made sure not to watch anything that had any static images, and if it did, I zoomed in so you couldn't see it. Sure it kinda sucks, but you'll get to 120+ hrs soon . I did notice minor IR when watching something w/ static images in the past, but it disappeared within minutes (literally). Now, I watch BD, ESPN, any channel with a static image, you name it, and have had zero issues. I would just be careful during the initial break-in, and you should be fine

`John

P.S. Don't forget that the tv has the scrolling bar option that you could use as well if you're paranoid.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 PM

love how that is your first post on the forum
Old 07-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
Do you notice the flickering in the g10s 24p mode?
Is it something really noticable?
My eyes tend to notice things like that when others don't
I'm also in your boat. The V series Panasonic's uses 96hz to deal with 24p motion and the flickering should be significantly less (If noticeable at all; 24p by itself will not be butter smooth anyway). The G series is 48hz; and the flicker has been a topic on a lot of forums. Even the Pioneer Kuro has some visible flicker with it's 48hz 24p processing... You can always disable the 48hz and force it to drive 60hz, but you'll be forcing the TV to do a 3:2 pull down then on the video frames.

Of course not everyone has visual issues at 48hz, but the 96hz of the V series should come close to eliminating it completely for those who are sensitive to it.

Last edited by SiGGy; 07-29-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
The V10 is certainly nicer to look at than the G10/15.

I haven't noticed any heat coming off the TV. Maybe I haven't had it on long enough?

But I was at my cousin's place and they have a ~2 year old 58" Hitachi plasma and you could feel the heat coming off that thing from about a foot away.
Were you able to see any quality differences between your set and theirs?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
So I picked up a 50" G15 last night. IR has always been at the back of my mind and I already saw some last night. My wife had put a radio station on which has bright white letters. It was only on for a few minutes yet there was some IR. You could only see it when the radio station image went out and the screen was black. I'm not going to do a loopoing break in for 120 hours as suggested at the AVS forums but I've set contrast and brightness to below 50 and I'll make sure not to watch any 4:3 for the first 120 hours.

Other than that the picture is hit and miss. I guess it all depends on the source. At times the image is simply stunning and others grainy. I also don't think its as sharp as the A750 Sammy LCD I had which seems to go with what Siggy was saying about square vs round pixels. The Plasma image seems softer, but in a good way I think.

I'm waiting for a new power cord for my Blu-Ray player so I havn't been able to test 1080p yet.

At this point I'm not convinced the effort required to avoid IR is worth it. I have 2 small kids and a wife who doesn't care for things like avoiding 4:3. So I'm kinda worried I'll ruin the TV if not properly broken in. At this point I'm not seeing the superior IQ vs LCD to justify the work. Or maybe I'm being too paranoid about IR?

The one thing this TV does have going for it is the price. It's cheaper than any decent Sammy 52" (B610) and about the same or only slightly more than a V series Sony and Sharp E77. Any LCD rated higher than those are insanely priced.
Don't worry about IR, it's just temporary. Be nice to the TV for the 1st 150-300 hours. Then don't worry about it ever again... I.E. try and do mostly full screen video for the 1st month or so; with no static images. The screen really does break in during that 1st 100 hour period. If you do the slide show method you can have the set broken in fully in less than a week.

Yes, you are being too paranoid! IR is only temporary... and actually you should just watch the TV at whatever contrast you want. Lowering it will just prolong the time it'll take for the initial phosphor wear.

Yes, plasma will never look as *digitally* sharp as LCD, but it should look WAY richer and way warmer. Things should look 3d, and have texture to them. Something LCD just can't do. And yes, I too find round pixels way nicer to the eye than square ones; especially when you are watching some nasty dirty cable or satellite signal. You don't want anything else making it look more squarish and compressed IMO.

Also know, once your screen is broken in the picture will improve a bit. I'll wait until you get a BluRay player hooked up and watch a nice texture rich movie like any of the Pirates movies (I think you'll have a jaw dropping experience; especially if you do it at night). Sadly unless you have Verizon FIOS, HDTV is just hit or miss on quality... and SDTV, well... My Timewarner HDTV channels sometimes look great and other times looks dull and washed out.

Last edited by SiGGy; 07-29-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
These things are f*cking AMAZING. I saw one today at best buy and the picture was just ridiculous. The detail you can see with these TVs is just crazy. I watched clips of the dark night, absolutely amazing, clips of the most recent xmen movie however were poor. You can tell the quality a movie was filmed in, and the detail allows you to really recognize what is and isn't CGI.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:50 AM

blah, ill never be able to save up for a panny
Old 08-08-2009, 09:12 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SiGGy
Were you able to see any quality differences between your set and theirs?
To my eyes, a huge difference. But I highly doubt they calibrated or even adjusted settings.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SiGGy
Don't worry about IR, it's just temporary. Be nice to the TV for the 1st 150-300 hours. Then don't worry about it ever again... I.E. try and do mostly full screen video for the 1st month or so; with no static images. The screen really does break in during that 1st 100 hour period. If you do the slide show method you can have the set broken in fully in less than a week.

Yes, you are being too paranoid! IR is only temporary... and actually you should just watch the TV at whatever contrast you want. Lowering it will just prolong the time it'll take for the initial phosphor wear.

Yes, plasma will never look as *digitally* sharp as LCD, but it should look WAY richer and way warmer. Things should look 3d, and have texture to them. Something LCD just can't do. And yes, I too find round pixels way nicer to the eye than square ones; especially when you are watching some nasty dirty cable or satellite signal. You don't want anything else making it look more squarish and compressed IMO.

Also know, once your screen is broken in the picture will improve a bit. I'll wait until you get a BluRay player hooked up and watch a nice texture rich movie like any of the Pirates movies (I think you'll have a jaw dropping experience; especially if you do it at night). Sadly unless you have Verizon FIOS, HDTV is just hit or miss on quality... and SDTV, well... My Timewarner HDTV channels sometimes look great and other times looks dull and washed out.
The paranoya fase is over. I've watched enough TV and seen enough IR to know it won't last. The only problem with watching something without static images is that its near impossible to do. Just about everything on TV has a static image these days. And I'm still only at about 40 hours or so. But it no longer worries me.

Finally got the power cord for the BD player a few days agao and wow, the picture is amazing. TDK IMO looks better on the Panny than it did on the Sammy A750 I had. and I havne't noticed any jutter.

Picked up a Harmony 676 remote yesterday, all I can say is I'm not sure how I got along without one of these things all this time.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Got a Job!

dom, I'm glad to hear you're loving the set. Trust, once it's broken it and you tweak the settings a bit, you'll love it even more! I'm still waiting on DNice on avsforums to release his settings, so until then, I'm just using someone else's for the main adjustments (not the offsets).
Old 08-08-2009, 08:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Keep us posted on the settings.

Hooked up my PC via HDMI to the TV. Displays vid and sound without problems. I was surprised how well it worked. Sound on the TV is sub par IMO though. Way too much bass distortion.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

dom, I'm glad to hear you're loving the set. Trust, once it's broken it and you tweak the settings a bit, you'll love it even more! I'm still waiting on DNice on avsforums to release his settings, so until then, I'm just using someone else's for the main adjustments (not the offsets).
When I finally get a V series later this year I'll calibrate it with my EyeOne (i1) and post my settings after I do a 300hr break-in.

Hopefully D-nice will post before then though.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Got a Job!

Thanks Siggy . However those won't help those of us with a G10/15 will it? But yeah, I really hope D-Nice posts his offsets/settings soon.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks Siggy . However those won't help those of us with a G10/15 will it? But yeah, I really hope D-Nice posts his offsets/settings soon.
From what I've read the G and V series use same same driving circuitry for the screen itself. So the offsets should be the same. But I know there are some differences between the G and V, but I don't think it's the color management. I'll compare my screen readings to someones G series readings before I commit myself to believing they're the same though.

He's done the calibrations already, not sure what he's waiting to post them. I have seen him in a few arguments with other members; I'm not sure what it's all about or if it has any relation to his lack of posting. But it has all been related to Panasonic panels.

Last edited by SiGGy; 08-11-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Got a Job!

lol, go figure

Sounds good man. BTW when do you plan on picking up the V (and what size? ) hah
Old 08-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

lol, go figure

Sounds good man. BTW when do you plan on picking up the V (and what size? ) hah
In a couple of months once they are out everywhere and sales start.

65"
Old 08-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Got a Job!

<--- jesalous

I really wanted to hang on and wait for the V but I needed a TV asap, and the price of the G10 has dropped tremendously since I bought it which blows. Oh well, at least it's still a pretty good set. The V is sexy though . Oh and a side note -- I think the people who bitch about the flickering in 24p/48 are a bunch of weenies
Old 08-11-2009, 03:10 PM

Old 08-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<--- jesalous

I really wanted to hang on and wait for the V but I needed a TV asap, and the price of the G10 has dropped tremendously since I bought it which blows. Oh well, at least it's still a pretty good set. The V is sexy though . Oh and a side note -- I think the people who bitch about the flickering in 24p/48 are a bunch of weenies
Most of the people on AVSFORUMS are what you described IMO. Nitpickers/weenies... which is OK. Everyone likes to hear about the flaws but some people blow stuff way out of proportion. And once you get 5-6 of these people all in the same chat, you end up with 100+ pages of whining and nonsense to filter through to find any good information.

Ya the G is an great set man. Should be the same picture quality as the V and Z series. Again I'll report back if I find anything different...
Old 09-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Picked up a 50" G10 tonight.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Got a Job!

!

How much did you buy it for, and where from?

BTW, I'm rockin' Orta's SM offsets from AVS and the picture is fantastic! You guys may want to look into that.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

$1,400 from Best Buy.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Got a Job!

OTD? Don't forget to break that bad bitch in
Old 09-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Team Owner

Well plus tax. And yes I'm breaking it in.

Best Buy was the only place I could find locally who had it in stock. I came home and found I could have got it online for about $150 less but I was pretty much set on taking it home that night.

It looks a lot bigger in my apartment than it did on the wall at the store. I'm loving it so far.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Got a Job!

hahah, same thing goes for me...

When my gf got back from work and saw this on our shelf, she freaked! Personally, I think it's too small

Enjoy it bud It really is a fantastic set.

`John
Old 09-29-2009, 04:24 PM
ALi G in the House!

anyone know if they are coming out with a 60" led anytime soon? (i like the led because of thickness, not because its led...i already know its the same as lcd)

anyone have any experience with them as of yet?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
any thoughts between the samsung 50' 8500 and the sony 52' xbr10. i haven't been able to see one in person yet. the samsung 8000 series had an issue with distortion in the corners. anyone know if that was addressed with the new 8500 series.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
Even after reading alot of this thread, I'm still confused. Is LED not worth the price difference of the LCD TV? I only ask since I'm looking to get something in the 46-47 inch range and I want to be able to play video games and such (and it will be in a well lit room, so thus the LCD/LED choice).
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by gr8ness97
Even after reading alot of this thread, I'm still confused. Is LED not worth the price difference of the LCD TV? I only ask since I'm looking to get something in the 46-47 inch range and I want to be able to play video games and such (and it will be in a well lit room, so thus the LCD/LED choice).
The LED is still a LCD. The light technology is led. You can either get a LCD in LED of CCFL(fluorescent light). Take a look at the Toshiba 670 led. It has local area dimming vs edge lit led like the sammy 6000, 7000, and 8000.
Also look on amazon the Samsung 46" 630 is like $1100 shipped right now.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
well the LG 47" is 1349 with an LG blueray player at Us-appliances.com. Is there a brand thats better than another?

Quick Reply: LED TV's: Better than LCD or just thinner?