Help - Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra hook-up to my TV

Old 01-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Got a Job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help - Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra hook-up to my TV

So I have a Sony KV-27FS100L that I've had for a good 3 years now. In addition, I have my laptop, with the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra and a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook in which it is hooked up to. Now, I want to know how in the hell I can hook up my Klipsch system to my tv. To be quite honest, I don't know much about audio or tv's, so I'm going to need some easily explained answers for my retarded ass . Before, I WAS using the Dynex Y-Audio cable for ipod's to plug into the tv (with the 2 connectors into the Mono) and the other end (1 connector) into my line in on my audidy 2 zs. Lately, that hasn't been working for some reason. And even when it DID work, there was a loud humming sound in the background, so it sucked. Therefore, I need all you experts to chime in and help me out here, as I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks again.

`John
Old 01-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Got a Job!

no one?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,211 Posts
What other components do you have? A cable box maybe?

There is no way you are going to directly hook that TV into that 5.1 systems and get 5.1 surround.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Got a Job!

i have Cox Digital Cable
Old 01-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Got a Job!

help please
Old 01-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
You would need to take the optical signal from the cable box and send that to some sort of surround sound receiver with preamp rca outputs. You would need an RCA - miniplug adapter cable for each output on the receiver, so you can run the L RCA output to the L miniplug input, and so on.

cable box --{optical cable}--> receiver --{L rca - L miniplug}--> Klipsch
.................................................. ..........{R rca - R miniplug}
.................................................. ..........{S rca - S miniplug}
Old 01-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Got a Job!

well there is an optical in/out on the audigy...however I dunno if there's an optical on the cable box. There is a digital input.

Trending Topics

Old 01-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Yeehaw

I don't see what the audigy or the laptop has to do with hooking up the tv to the speakers... you want to run TV ---> laptop ---> speakers? I've never used the audigy... can you take a signal from the optical input and run it back out through the miniplugs?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Got a Job!

wow...I TOTALLY forgot about this thread, heh

Well, there is a slight update. My roommate just purchased a Olevia 437V LCD to replace my tv in our room. We plan on setting it up once we get back from spring break on the 1st. At the time, we will also upgrade to an HD box. So, once this occurs, we will also want to hook up the speakers to the tv, since they are 5.1, and I already have them set-up properly throughout the room. I'm assuming that we will need a receiver to do this. What I was wondering up above, was this:

Since the speakers are currently hooked up to my laptop via a Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card, which has an optical in/out, could we connect an optical cable directly from the audigy 2 zs into the HD box if there is an optical input?

I know I must sound retarded, but as I said, I dunno what I'm talking about. I thought that might work .

Moving on, since I'm sure my little wish wouldn't work, I'm assuming I'd have to stick to what you said Beetroot. In that case, you say I would have to run an optical cable from the HD box to a receiver, correct? If that's the case, would any optical cable work, such as this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

Then, I would connect the speakers directly to the receiver. Afterwards, I run an RCA- miniplug adapter cable for each 3 outputs (1 for the front, 1 rear, 1 sub/center) to the Klipsch sub? If that were the case, would these work:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-C.../dp/B00004Z5CP

I'm sorry for the lack of intelligence in this subject. I'm a complete newb in this respect, so I appreciate any help in order to have this set up properly. Thanks!

`John
Old 04-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Got a Job!

bump
Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Yeehaw

I don't think you would want to connect the speakers directly to the receiver. The speakers already have their own amplifier (built into the subwoofer). You could hook them up to something else, but I'd be careful with it. You don't want to give them too much or too little power, and the set you have are really nice... I imagine Klipsch has matched them up pretty well with the bundled amp.

All you really need to do is take the audio signal from the cable box, and get it to the three inputs on that amp. Unfortunately I think you need a receiver for this to decode that original signal and send it out to RCA.

The cables you linked to are correct. The signal goes out of the cable box, through the optical cable, into the receiver. Then back out of the receiver's 6 preamp outputs through 3 sets of the y cables, which condense those 6 separate cables into 3. Those three go into the amp, and you are good to go.

You could, like you said, skip the y cables and wire the speakers directly to the receiver. I doubt this would do anything better sq wise though... but it does seem like a waste to use a whole receiver for the sole purpose of converting an optical cable to rca.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by BEETROOT; 04-07-2007 at 01:08 AM.