HDMI cable question

Old 07-31-2006, 07:17 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HDMI cable question

Well I have been moving the last few weeks and things are settled and it starting to feel like home. I was installing my projector yesterday with the help of my father, and it seems my father doesn't understand how and HDMI connector works, so he decided to break the connector off one end of my 50ft HDMI cable. Is there any way to repair this, ie reterminate one end, or do I have a junk $200 cable on my hands? If it is junk does anyone know a place to find one for less then $200? The best I can find is $167, it just seems like a shame to throw out 49.8 feet of perfectly fine cable because an end broke off.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Thriller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tireguy
Well I have been moving the last few weeks and things are settled and it starting to feel like home. I was installing my projector yesterday with the help of my father, and it seems my father doesn't understand how and HDMI connector works, so he decided to break the connector off one end of my 50ft HDMI cable. Is there any way to repair this, ie reterminate one end, or do I have a junk $200 cable on my hands? If it is junk does anyone know a place to find one for less then $200? The best I can find is $167, it just seems like a shame to throw out 49.8 feet of perfectly fine cable because an end broke off.
Jeez...what the heck was he thinking?? I hope you can repair it cus those HDMI cables are expensive. I recently upgraded my cable set top box (HDMI) only to find they no longer support DVI which I have on my tv. Luckily, I found an HDMI-DVI adaptor on ebay for 5 bucks.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:26 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by YOTH
Jeez...what the heck was he thinking?? I hope you can repair it cus those HDMI cables are expensive. I recently upgraded my cable set top box (HDMI) only to find they no longer support DVI which I have on my tv. Luckily, I found an HDMI-DVI adaptor on ebay for 5 bucks.
He's old, he was probably just thinking about his yummy Ensure dinner that was waiting for him at home or maybe the shot of metimucial that would be following it... I don't know It was an accident, he was trying to help and I guess you win some you lose some.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
LOL. $200 for a cable. You are going to be really pissed when you goto www.monoprice.com and find out how much an HDMI cable should cost.

A 50ft there is $66.98

Last edited by doopstr; 07-31-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Thriller

Originally Posted by doopstr
LOL. $200 for a cable. You are going to be really pissed when you goto www.monoprice.com and find out how much an HDMI cable should cost.

A 50ft there is $66.98
WTF? How is it possible that the stores like CC & BB charge in the hundreds and these guys charge a fraction of that?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr

A 50ft there is $66.98
& at the same time....

Monoprice.com is the ONLY place I go to buy cables. Ever since I read about them on the AVSForum (one guy bought a Monster cable and a monoprice cable and took them apart... construction is basically the same and PQ was the same) I've purchased from there, and only there. Can't beat an HDMI cable for $21 shipped!!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

WTF? How is it possible that the stores like CC & BB charge in the hundreds and these guys charge a fraction of that?
B/C Monster is all hype and marketing....
Old 07-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
CC + BB charge $30 for a 6 foot usb cable... same thing that is $3 online. Don't buy anything there.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
To me the most amazing thing about the monoprice cable was not the price, but the quality of the cable. They are much better than one would expect for the price. They don't look/feel cheap.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Correct. As I mentioned above... their construction quality is easily as good as Monster Cables... possibly better
Old 08-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Thriller

I told someone I know about that link to get hdmi cables and he said he will not use hdmi anymore after he was told by the electronic store guy that hdmi is no better than component cable.

That got me researching this debate and now I'm wondering if I should go back to component since there is no proof that hdmi is any better. I also read that non-HD broadcasts quality is better on component than hdmi.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

I told someone I know about that link to get hdmi cables and he said he will not use hdmi anymore after he was told by the electronic store guy that hdmi is no better than component cable.

That got me researching this debate and now I'm wondering if I should go back to component since there is no proof that hdmi is any better. I also read that non-HD broadcasts quality is better on component than hdmi.

HDMI is a digital cable. When carrying a digital picture like digital cable/sat channels and HD programming (not to mention programs or music with digital audio), component cables can't even hold a candle to HDMI. I mean, I don't know the specs behind it... but on about 5 different TVs (some mine, some friends/family) we have ordered HDMI cables and swapped the components out. You can immediately notice a difference in color and clarity when you hook up the HDMI. SD programming, to me... looks the same between the two. No real improvements there, however, I wouldn't expect any since those channels are not digital... but I wouldn't say it's better on component... just that there's no improvment with HDMI, but it doesn't look worse.

Tell your friend to spend some time on AVSforum.com. And when I say some time, I mean a few days searching and reading topics. If he posted that comment on that forum they may actually ban his account . Seriously though, lots of very smart members and industry folks on there, so if he needs the science behind why you can't really even compare HDMI with component, that's the place he'll find it. Also tell him to find a new electronics store to get advice from
Old 08-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Thriller

Originally Posted by juniorbean

HDMI is a digital cable. When carrying a digital picture like digital cable/sat channels and HD programming (not to mention programs or music with digital audio), component cables can't even hold a candle to HDMI. I mean, I don't know the specs behind it... but on about 5 different TVs (some mine, some friends/family) we have ordered HDMI cables and swapped the components out. You can immediately notice a difference in color and clarity when you hook up the HDMI. SD programming, to me... looks the same between the two. No real improvements there, however, I wouldn't expect any since those channels are not digital... but I wouldn't say it's better on component... just that there's no improvment with HDMI, but it doesn't look worse.

Tell your friend to spend some time on AVSforum.com. And when I say some time, I mean a few days searching and reading topics. If he posted that comment on that forum they may actually ban his account . Seriously though, lots of very smart members and industry folks on there, so if he needs the science behind why you can't really even compare HDMI with component, that's the place he'll find it. Also tell him to find a new electronics store to get advice from
Old 08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

One thing I want to add is that some components (DVD players, older Sat/cable boxes, etc) may not show an improvement with an HDMI cable. There are definitely some components that will have the same picture with HDMI and component... but whenever you're dealing with the newer stuff, HDMI is definitely the way to go.

Plus, if you can get a 9' HDMI cable for like $21 shipped from monoprice, why wouldn't you do it? That's not much more money then component anyway, and the odds are on his side that it will be better unless he has older equipment...

Last edited by juniorbean; 08-01-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:57 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I am using my back up 50' S-video cable for the moment while I figure out what I am going to do and with DVD its not that big of a difference.

I am thinking of running a DVI cable back to my projector, its half the money, still HD capable, and uses a better connector. In addition there is no benefit running the audio section of HDMI back to the projector.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:21 AM
X spots the mark

I purchased a 6' HDMI to DVI cable from Monoprice a few weeks ago for $7.95 including shipping.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 AM
X spots the mark

You want to stay away from any HDMI cable longer than 50' as it will distort the signal.