HD DirectTV vs HD Digital Cable

Old 08-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Im No Superman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ouch! burn! some of these featres are things my pops and I talked about today:

-) ALL OUTPUTS working simultaneously (composite, component, HDMI)
-) Interactive box (All the interactive features, including Super Fan)

We are using the HDMI output...Im not sure if this box is interactive but it would be cool becasue we have super fan, and it can warn you when teams get in the red zone
Old 08-21-2006, 03:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Hr20-700

...and a review
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=61862
Old 08-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Let me ask a quick question since seems like the good tv heads are in here.

What good is HDMI on a TV?

I'd imagine that anyone who spends $2k+ on a tv would not be happy with the speakers in a flat panel, so they would be using a seperate receiver/amplifier.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ HDMI or DVI/HDMI carries a better picture then component since the cables are digital. For example, on my main TV I have an HDMI cable to carry the video, and a digital optical audio cable to carry the sound to the receiver. Using all digital cables gives me the best picture and sound I can get out of my equipment.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
ok but for your purposes, dvi would be sufficient?

I guess if they are going to put a digital input, might as well be HDMI
Old 08-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Originally Posted by BEETROOT

HDMI = DVI + digital audio.

On top of transfering digital video/audio, the cable is relatively thin. Component cables are thick, plus you need a separate digital audio cable (toslink or coaxial).

Finally, Component cannot transfer HDCP copy protected video on HD format. Just 480i. There are a few DVD players on which you can disable the copy protection via hack.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

What chaps my ass is that the 5LNB dish requires a brand new mount; can't use the existing 3LNB mount which is stupid.

So... If I elect to stay with DirecTV and upgrade to the HR20, I'd have to put more holes in my roof for a dish.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by BEETROOT

In theory yes, however, our main TV which has an HD-DVR only has an HDMI output, while the regular HD box in the bedroom (no DVR) has a DVI.

So on the DVR box in the great room I'm forced to use HDMI while in the bedroom I can use a DVI/HDMI cable.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering mpeg-4 upgrade

So right now I have a 2-year old HD receiver from DirecTV. My networks are from NY because I'm a full 40 miles from Chicago. Cable is not an option because I need the NFL and NCAA packages. As I understand it, an upgrade to the 5-LNB dish and a HD-DVR is $299. I've been a customer with 1-year contracts for 6 years with automatic bill pay ($ in their pocket).

1. What should I expect to actually pay to upgrade?

2. Do I have to be home when they switch dishes? (Has anyone done this upgrade before?)

I agree, the SD picture on DirecTV sucks, so I need as much HD as possible for my Samsung 42" DLP.

And how can you have a regular DVR with an HD receiver? Does this make sense as an option?

Last edited by IlliNorge; 09-18-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:02 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
So right now I have a 2-year old HD receiver from DirecTV. My networks are from NY because I'm a full 40 miles from Chicago. Cable is not an option because I need the NFL and NCAA packages. As I understand it, an upgrade to the 5-LNB dish and a HD-DVR is $299. I've been a customer with 1-year contracts for 6 years with automatic bill pay ($ in their pocket).

2. Do I have to be home when they switch dishes? (Has anyone done this upgrade before?)

I agree, the SD picture on DirecTV sucks, so I need as much HD as possible for my Samsung 42" DLP.

And how can you have a regular DVR with an HD receiver? Does this make sense as an option?
Expect to pay NOTHING or $19.95 (for shipping) at the most.
As a six year customer, they should treat you well. Call a CSR or customer retention rep and tell them that you want a new HD DVR (R20) and that you want to upgrade to mpg 4 equip (including 5lnb dish). They may quote you a price of a couple of hundred bucks,...tell them that you thought you would be upgraded for free, and that you were not anticipating the cost, and that cable or dish network would give you equipment for free. This usually works like a charm. You may have to call 2-4 times before you get a good rep that will switch you for free.
(Note that you will have to commit to a 2 year contract)

You will have to (or somebody) be home during the install of the dish and the new DVR.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:35 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,427 Posts

I was just wondering.... are the NFL games ALL in HD?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Benchwarmer

All of FOX's games are broadcast in HD and almost all are available in HD on DirecTV. However, the Vikes/Panthers game was not. Only about half of CBS's games are broadcast in HD. Usually these are all available on the DirecTV package. ESPN and NBC are always in HD. The first year, DirecTV didn't charge anything for the HD games. Now you need to pay an additional $99 to see these games in HD (which I ain't paying) So the games I see in HD are those that are shown to me anyway on NY's CBS and FOX stations.

Moog, thanks for the advice. My receiver is starting to break down, I have to reset it about once a week, so it's time for an upgrade. This is another piece of info I have as leverage--that their old equipment is subpar. The $ isn't what is holding me back, I live alone and it's damn near impossible to sync my schedule with an installer's appointment.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

All of FOX's games are broadcast in HD and almost all are available in HD on DirecTV. However, the Vikes/Panthers game was not. Only about half of CBS's games are broadcast in HD. Usually these are all available on the DirecTV package. ESPN and NBC are always in HD. The first year, DirecTV didn't charge anything for the HD games. Now you need to pay an additional $99 to see these games in HD (which I ain't paying) So the games I see in HD are those that are shown to me anyway on NY's CBS and FOX stations.

Moog, thanks for the advice. My receiver is starting to break down, I have to reset it about once a week, so it's time for an upgrade. This is another piece of info I have as leverage--that their old equipment is subpar. The $ isn't what is holding me back, I live alone and it's damn near impossible to sync my schedule with an installer's appointment.
also keep in mind your new equip will be leased and not owned like the equip you have now.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Benchwarmer

What's the difference, really? The equipment has no resale value, and I'm assuming there's no monthly fee (for the hardware)?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

You will pay a monthly DVR fee. You have to return the equip if you leave DirecTV, upside is that if it fails, you get free replacement of said unit.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Benchwarmer

Alright, I signed up for the HR20 receiver last night. Cost me $99 with install after some haggling. Here's a quick question for those that have this receiver: Is it absolutely necessary to connect the receiver to a phone line? I know they tell you that any sports subscription requires this, but it is not true. I have the NFL package and it knows to blackout the Bears even though I'm not connected to a phone jack.

My TV's in a bad spot to try to run phone cable to it.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Alright, I signed up for the HR20 receiver last night. Cost me $99 with install after some haggling. Here's a quick question for those that have this receiver: Is it absolutely necessary to connect the receiver to a phone line? I know they tell you that any sports subscription requires this, but it is not true. I have the NFL package and it knows to blackout the Bears even though I'm not connected to a phone jack.

Just one word: NO

It works with no phone line. I do connect it tho cause I like to see the caller ID on the screen for incoming calls tho I never purchased anything, ever.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by zamo
Just one word: NO

It works with no phone line. I do connect it tho cause I like to see the caller ID on the screen for incoming calls tho I never purchased anything, ever.
Thanks. So I'm assuming that the DVR guide updates via the satellite then? I know that people with TiVo and cable need that phone line because it updates through the line at 2 am.

As for caller ID, I decline that service because I don't think I'd ever answer the phone otherwise.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Thanks. So I'm assuming that the DVR guide updates via the satellite then? I know that people with TiVo and cable need that phone line because it updates through the line at 2 am.

As for caller ID, I decline that service because I don't think I'd ever answer the phone otherwise.
Yes. All the info is downloaded from the satellite. Old Tivo's SUCK as they require a phone line.

And I dont pay extra for Caller ID as it is already included in my $8.33 a month Voice over IP plan
Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by zamo
Yes. All the info is downloaded from the satellite. Old Tivo's SUCK as they require a phone line.

And I dont pay extra for Caller ID as it is already included in my $8.33 a month Voice over IP plan
Beautiful. Appreciate it.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

99 bucks is not bad....not great...but for what you are getting...it's decent Enjoy the new DVR. The only reason you will need the phone line is for PPV movies or events. Technically you can order them without the phone line connected...but you will be cut-off from ordering them after anywhere from 2 - 6. Then you will have to call DirecTV to authorize you to receive PPV, and they will tell you to plug in your phone line....then all those PPV you ordered that never showed up on your bill will magically appear on your next bill after you connected your phone line.