View Poll Results: Screen Finish
Matte (non-gloss) no reflections; anti-glare screen
73.91%
Glossy (shiney) has reflections; has glare
26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Glossy TV & notebook screens! Welcome back to 1985!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by IlliNorge
And consumers aren't stupid.
ummmmm....
Old 11-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
ummmmm....

exactly... They see shiny bright over saturated pictures and it sells... as Billiam pointed out manufacturers are playing most people into thinking brighter is better.

Once the mass population gets educated a bit the trend will change... I think the notebooks will start the "shiny screens suck trend". And eventually they will realize it doesn't help their TV either. Hopefully then they will continue to make contrast enhancing screens, but without the annoying glare.

As I've said, adding a glare screen is taking TV technology BACK 20-40 years. The 80's are over guys
Old 11-30-2007, 07:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Those TV's are obviously turned off. With nothing playing, the eye is drawn to the reflection.

And for what it's worth, my Samsung doesn't reflect nearly as much as the TV in your last picture, even when it's off.
You will still see that annoying glare with the TV on or off. And since the depth of the two fields, the reflection and the TV image are within 1" of one another your eye will get strained deciding on which to focus on.

No argument there the samsung I thought actually had some sorta anti-glare in the screen compared to the others. But it was still a dark mirror; I could see myself and everything behind me in the all of the dark scenes I watched.

Well until I looked at the kuro and other high end plasmas which had no glare But the images on the Kuro weren't nearly as bright however they were WAY more accurate. Again, this is why they try and make images POP on the LCD panels... to sell them. Regardless of any other major faults it adds. I'd say less than 1% of the population really knows what to look for when shopping for a TV. The TV manufacturers know this and take advantage of it; so they try and make the image as poppy as possible to lure sales. Most people don't realize the other sacrifices made to make the high contrast image... People see bright and are sold...
Old 11-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by SiGGy
You will still see that annoying glare with the TV on or off. And since the depth of the two fields, the reflection and the TV image are within 1" of one another your eye will get strained deciding on which to focus on.

No argument there the samsung I thought actually had some sorta anti-glare in the screen compared to the others. But it was still a dark mirror; I could see myself and everything behind me in the all of the dark scenes I watched.

Well until I looked at the kuro and other high end plasmas which had no glare But the images on the Kuro weren't nearly as bright however they were WAY more accurate. Again, this is why they try and make images POP on the LCD panels... to sell them. Regardless of any other major faults it adds. I'd say less than 1% of the population really knows what to look for when shopping for a TV. The TV manufacturers know this and take advantage of it; so they try and make the image as poppy as possible to lure sales. Most people don't realize the other sacrifices made to make the high contrast image... People see bright and are sold...
Well maybe the Samsungs do have a less reflective glossy screen. Actually I have not looked at new TV's for 4 months, so it is possible other manufacturers are copying this glossy idea, with bad results, like in your picture. The other guys I mentioned here all have Sammys too.

Your evidence is based on what you see, my evidence is based on what I see, so we're probably both right to some extent. In a world without cost or energy considerations, I would go with the largest plasma I could fit in my house. But with $2k to spend, I would still go with the 46" Samsung LCD.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a fan of the gloss screens at all...
Old 11-30-2007, 10:22 AM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have both and definately prefer the non glossy. It is frustrating on Sundays trying to watch the game with the blinds open and all you see is outside. I won a 55 inch plasma and everyone who come over says they would rather watch my older 60 inch Sony inch rear projecter. Colors are more realistic and softer.

Oh yeah and forget about games like gears of war during the day you can not see anything.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by bent09
I have both and definately prefer the non glossy. It is frustrating on Sundays trying to watch the game with the blinds open and all you see is outside. I won a 55 inch plasma and everyone who come over says they would rather watch my older 60 inch Sony inch rear projecter. Colors are more realistic and softer.

Oh yeah and forget about games like gears of war during the day you can not see anything.
This may be your problem. From my experience, things that are "won" are not top-shelf quality to begin with. Especially because plasmas are more known for their true, realistic colors.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This may be your problem. From my experience, things that are "won" are not top-shelf quality to begin with. Especially because plasmas are more known for their true, realistic colors.

Hitachi P55T551 55" HD1080 Plasma HDTV

The colors seem almost cartoony compared to the Sony. When I bought the Sony I seem to remember that the different manufacturers were very different in color feel.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by bent09

You might need a calibration to get the color better on your plasma. But if you have a decent properly calibrated CRT based RPTV it will hard to make your plasma match it for color/sub contrast/black levels.

Yup, glossy screens = the suck...

Subliminal message below

The reflections you see are a figment of your imagination... you do not see them. They are not as bad as you say they are! You really don't like football... You really don't want to play "gears of war"... you made up the reflection excuses... eat dead frogs on Tuesdays and kill all the people who like glare screens and destroy their TV(s)! Send all of your $$ to Citibank #3278739242