View Poll Results: What Cable/Internet choice should I go with?
Get same as what I'm using now, but without home phone
0%
Use computer as DVR
0%
Get amplified antenna
0%
Other (please suggest)
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

F****** Comcast

Old 05-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
F****** Comcast

I have an alarm system with Brinks, and the contract is coming up in June. We're going to be getting rid of the alarm, which means we can get rid of the home phone service.

We were paying $99/month for cable, internet, and home phone service. Not bad. I thought that if we got rid of the home phone service we would be saving at least $20-$30 each month, plus the $30 each month for the alarm monitoring, right?

Wrong.

Since we were on a promotional period of one year, the prices for the Digital Service Plus and the 6MBPS Internet jump up. In other words, it would be the same price for Internet/cable than it was for cable/Internet/home phone.

I'm pissed, but I understand Comcast's business philosophy. They know that people aren't willing stop the services they have without some major life changes. We also have a DVR at $15.99 a month, which I think is a friggin' ripoff. The promotional period for the $99 services ends in August, at which the regular price jumps up $25 a month.

Here is my dilemma.

Should I:

1.) Take the small victory with the cancellation of the home monitoring service (alarm). I would not have a home phone, the Internet, cable, and DVR would stay the same and the price would be the same as what I am paying now, which is about $133 after taxes.

2.) Get the cheapest cable package available and keep the DVR. Internet is important to me, so I like the 6MBPS advertised speed. I rarely watch TV, but the wife does like the DVR feature and occassionally watches TV at night.

3.) Use home computer as a DVR and save an additional $15.99/month. I would need some software/hardware to be able to capture and save recorded programs. Any suggestions that has a remote and software/hardware to record these programs?

4.) Get a powered antenna for local/over-the-air HD service.

5.) Use Hulu.com for recorded TV programs. I like this idea because I (think) I can watch episodes of local shows like "Dancing with the Stars," "Biggest Loser," and Sesame Street all for free, right? Can you download or stream entire episodes of Sesame Street so that my son can watch them?

6.) Other option I have not thought of.

Please help. I want to keep my Internet, and the shows that are important to me and my wife and son are Sesame Street, Biggest Loser, Dancing with the Stars, and possibly the DVR and On Demand feature.

Speaking of which, is the On Demand feature through Comcast built into the cable box, or can I still use it if I got rid of the cable box and DVR and got basic cable through Comcast?
Old 05-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Have you looked into Verizon or AT&T?
Old 05-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
You entered into a one year contract with the Triple Play bundle and now you are mad that you can cancel one of the services? It's called Triple Play for a reason. I don't mean to sound rude, but it's pretty self-explanatory. But I understand your frustration.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Can you get FIOS from Verizon?

I pay $60 a month for 15 mbps up and down

No home phone or cable TV.

Hulu, Youtube, torrents and MLB TV for the win
Old 05-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by AMGala
You entered into a one year contract with the Triple Play bundle and now you are mad that you can cancel one of the services? It's called Triple Play for a reason. I don't mean to sound rude, but it's pretty self-explanatory. But I understand your frustration.
It's not a contract, it's a promotional period of one year. I understood what I was getting into, now I'm just seeing if there are cheaper ways to get Internet and cable TV.

I can cancel any time I want, but I'm seeing if there are ceapter options.
Unfortunately, I called Comcast, and the cheapest option they have with On Demand is $55.75 a month, plus another $45 for 6MBPS in Internet.

Is FIOS just Internet, or is it TV too?

Edit: Nevermind, you have to sign up for home phone too with Fios.

Last edited by gatrhumpy; 05-22-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
FIOS is same deal. After promotion its about $110 for just tv and internet if you have HD and DVR.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to cell phone only and switch to DirecTV or Dish Network. You can bundle your interwebz and satellite TV for a bigger discount.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
By any chance have you tried calling them and giving them your scenario? Explain that you plan on leaving unless they can give you some sort of deal. They might bite.

I know it's a different company...but it worked for me with AT&T anyway.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Go to cell phone only and switch to DirecTV or Dish Network. You can bundle your interwebz and satellite TV for a bigger discount.
Direct TV is a contract, and I hate those. I do not want a contract.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by thunder04
By any chance have you tried calling them and giving them your scenario? Explain that you plan on leaving unless they can give you some sort of deal. They might bite.

I know it's a different company...but it worked for me with AT&T anyway.
I stopped short of telling them that I would leave if they didn't offer me a better deal. I told them what the situation was and they did not offer me any discounts.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,002 Likes on 1,423 Posts
cancel the account and have another one opened at the promotional rate under the wife's name!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by csmeance
cancel the account and have another one opened at the promotional rate under the wife's name!
I think she may be on the account too. I think that the last card I throw out there may be the "If you can't do any better than that, I will be forced to cancel my account." If they say no, I hang up and pretend the conversation never happened. If I'm successful, then I saved even more money.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
I had all 3 and switched to DirecTV for TV. A few months later my $25 phone was expiring so I called and got my bill lowered where I pay $70/month for the next year for internet, home phone (limited long distance), and 15 channel cable. My interent is like $50 and phone was $25 before the promo. The rep gave me the cable so that I could qualify for the discounts. My bill got cheaper and I didn't have to switch. I threatened to go to Vonage since they charge $25/mo forever. If you want home phone that's your bargaining tool. I don't call anyone long distance so the $5/mo to lose it was worth it.

However, I'd cut their TV since AT&T (if available), FIOS, and satellite are superior.