Anyone have any experience with Westinghouse?

Old 07-21-2006, 09:03 PM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Anyone have any experience with Westinghouse?

I'm trying to decide between these two TVs, and I'm really torn, not sure what to do. Has anyone heard of of had experience with Westinghouse LCDs? I saw the 720p/1080i version at bestbuy and it looked great. And there is another version for about $300 more that has 1080p.

1080p version (LVM-37w3)
http://reviews.cnet.com/Westinghouse...-31948531.html

720p/1080i (LTV-37w2)
http://reviews.cnet.com/Westinghouse...-31894272.html

Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance
Old 09-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Thread Resurrection.

Viper = did you end up buying?

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this unit... 42" HD LCD

I am going to test it out...

Anyone with Westinghouse electronics out there?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:30 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Isn't Westinghouse a Zenith?
Old 09-09-2006, 06:56 AM

So I did it.

I went and looked at it last night - spent about 2hrs in the store. I compared the picture against everything there and picture quality stood up against everything up to the $4000 price range. The unit was $1999CDN. My only concern is longevity - I forked out the extra $400 for the 4year extended performance guarantee. My first task when I got home was to hook it up and inspect for dead pixels - couldnt find any, but I think it would be hard to find at 1920x1080.

I cant wait till I get it setup in the new house, with an HD source - then I can tune it.

From research the unit is getting great reviews and the guy in the store told me they have had a few buyer complaints, but they were all gamers who bought them for a gaming display. At 8ms it is fast, but not as fast as die-hard gamers want. For movie watching the motion blur is certainly at an acceptable level. The motion blur is at par or better than that in many movie theaters.

Anyway it is still new so I cant give any long-term experience. Ask me in 6months if I am still happy
Old 01-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,604 Likes on 5,377 Posts
anyone have any thoughts/experience on this?

WESTINGHOUSE LVM-37W3 37" LCD Video Monitor
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...ed.WET+LVM37W3
Old 01-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I purchased the Westinghouse 32w6 32" LCD from Best Buy a couple of months ago. It is in our bedroom right now and I'm very happy with the picture. It has only 2 viewing modes (normal, or "fill") and occasionally (once every 2 or 3 weeks) it freezes up where I have to unplug it and then plug it in again. I view HD content (720p) with the built in over-the-air tuner. Our DVD player does not upconvert so DVDs are viewed at 480p (still not a bad picture at all). We also have Dish Network (the non HD type) which we input using S-Video. The sound quality is fine, no complaints. I had to adjust the picture quite a bit because the factory settings had it too bright and saturated but once I got it tweaked the picture quality is outstanding. NFL games on FOX or CBS look fantastic.

For the 37" version try searching the AVS Forum. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good info there.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Just dial 1911

I've got the 37" and my opinions of it mirror what jlukja said. It is VERY bright out of the box, but a few adjustments to the picture and it looks fantastic in HD. I notice some slight ghosting on some scenes where the camera is panning quickly. But its pretty tolerable. I havent had the problem of it freezing up, but I hardly, if ever, change the viewing modes.

I'm soooo tempted to hook this thing up to my computer though. A few games I have can display in 1920x1440
Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jlukja
I purchased the Westinghouse 32w6 32" LCD from Best Buy a couple of months ago. It is in our bedroom right now and I'm very happy with the picture. It has only 2 viewing modes (normal, or "fill") and occasionally (once every 2 or 3 weeks) it freezes up where I have to unplug it and then plug it in again. I view HD content (720p) with the built in over-the-air tuner. Our DVD player does not upconvert so DVDs are viewed at 480p (still not a bad picture at all). We also have Dish Network (the non HD type) which we input using S-Video. The sound quality is fine, no complaints. I had to adjust the picture quite a bit because the factory settings had it too bright and saturated but once I got it tweaked the picture quality is outstanding. NFL games on FOX or CBS look fantastic.

For the 37" version try searching the AVS Forum. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good info there.
thanks for your input - I will checkout AVS!!! Haven't been there in a long while, I kinda avoid going there.. have they changed their ridiculous Barney color theme? It gave me headaches.. always thought that was a great oxymoron, an audio-VISUAL site with TERRIBLE color scheme!!!! /mini-rant
Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by joerockt
I've got the 37" and my opinions of it mirror what jlukja said. It is VERY bright out of the box, but a few adjustments to the picture and it looks fantastic in HD. I notice some slight ghosting on some scenes where the camera is panning quickly. But its pretty tolerable. I havent had the problem of it freezing up, but I hardly, if ever, change the viewing modes.

I'm soooo tempted to hook this thing up to my computer though. A few games I have can display in 1920x1440
ooooh I would love if you can try it with your computer and let me know what the Windows desktop looks like? How the colors are when viewing pictures? etc. And would be good to know about how it does with games too. :P thx
Old 01-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by srika
thanks for your input - I will checkout AVS!!! Haven't been there in a long while, I kinda avoid going there.. have they changed their ridiculous Barney color theme? It gave me headaches.. always thought that was a great oxymoron, an audio-VISUAL site with TERRIBLE color scheme!!!! /mini-rant
ok I bit the bullet and went there... eyesore!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Team Owner

ok I bit the bullet and went there... eyesore!!!!!!
I know what you mean.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:46 PM
o-qua tangin wann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the time of my purchase I was offered a Westinghouse for a really good price...but I took the smaller Samsung.

Quality > Quantity
Old 01-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Just dial 1911

ooooh I would love if you can try it with your computer and let me know what the Windows desktop looks like? How the colors are when viewing pictures? etc. And would be good to know about how it does with games too. :P thx
I'll see what I can do. Right now I also have the PS2 hooked up to it, but its just not working out laying in bed and playing. You can only lay down for so long. So I was thinking if I move the TV to the office, I can have pc, tv and ps2 all in one spot. I'll probably try it this weekend. If I do, I'll take some pics.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by blumpkin
At the time of my purchase I was offered a Westinghouse for a really good price...but I took the smaller Samsung.

Quality > Quantity
yea when I think of quality, I think of Samsung. ha

they are pretty good but not the benchmark for quality, imo.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

well if anyone is interested in this Westinghouse 37"... Best Buy has it on sale for $999... today only.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:13 AM
sup

^^ after having this tv for about six months, I'm very happy with it. it could have a slightly better response time, but the picture is fantastic and the colors are vibrant. I would recommend it. There are a few quirks that are a little annoying...There aren't that many input options.....one HDMI, 2 component, and one plain old composite (Red, yellow, white)/s-video. So far I haven't had too many issues running out of inputs, but another HMDI port would have been nice. But the TV has a tuner (which I have yet to use, but will prove useful when i am broke and can't afford cable anymore). One more annoyance, which to me is worse than the input thing, is that it doesnt' remember your audio settings when you turn off the TV. If i se the TV to output the audio through the external speakers (though audio out) to my sound system and not the internal ones, when i turn the tv off and then back on again, the audio will be coming through the internal ones again....so i have to go back in the meu and change it. This isn't so much of an issue because I usually just use the TV speakers anyways for casual watching (DVD, XBOX, and other high audio-fidelity sources are hooked up digitally to sound system). But still annoying that it doesnt remember this setting.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blumpkin

Quality > Quantity
westinghouse is a good quality machine for the price
i doubt that it's right to lessen them to a quality vs quantity comparison.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Just dial 1911

Well, I hooked it up this weekend and I gotta say its pretty damn sick! I'll take some pics tonight of it. Its basically just a monster LCD screen set in 1920x1080 resolution. The picture is fantastic, the colors look great and gaming rules! I've been playing Dark Crusade at 1920x1080 and it looks fantastic.

I'll get pics up tonight.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

thats great to hear man! thanks a lot!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
They make great nuclear reactors
Old 01-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
They make great nuclear reactors
And ICBM's
Old 01-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Just dial 1911

Here ya go:

GORGUTZ WAAAGH!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:50 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Westinghouse is made by LG. Samsung also makes alot for other mfg's.
LG makes a large majority of the panels out there. However the stuff made for other mfg's is last years technology or processors. LG keeps the current tech for thier panels. The big difference between LG & Westinghouse? Try to get the Westinghouse repaired or try to get parts. Westinghouse also has lots of deals (sales) so they can move older technology out of thier warehouse into dealers hands.

How do I know this? I own a Audio Video specialty store (since 1977) and we carry Westinghouse / LG / Samsung / Sony etc etc. I have 1st hand knowlege.

Would I buy a Westinghouse? No.

AVS forum is pretty good, but it is also like the blind leading the blind. Too many know it all "experts" that think they have a clue. Stick with brand names. Yeah, you'll pay more, but you be glad you did in a few years. BTW: My family also owns one the largest repair facility on the east coast. I know what is good, what works and what LASTS!!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:20 AM
sup

joe, how are you playing games on your LCD? When I hook up my tv to my compt through a DVI >> HDMI cable, the computer downconverts the image relsolution to something really crappy when i try to play, for example, HL2
Old 01-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by ViperrepiV
joe, how are you playing games on your LCD? When I hook up my tv to my compt through a DVI >> HDMI cable, the computer downconverts the image relsolution to something really crappy when i try to play, for example, HL2
You need to have a graphics card that will support the native resolutions first off. Second, the game itself also needs to support the resolutions. I've found a few games so far that will go to 1920x1080, but not all. In those cases, I just select the highest widescreen resolution available.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by BillR
BTW: My family also owns one the largest repair facility on the east coast. I know what is good, what works and what LASTS!!
So then... enlighten us please.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BillR
The Westinghouse is made by LG. Samsung also makes alot for other mfg's.
LG makes a large majority of the panels out there. However the stuff made for other mfg's is last years technology or processors. LG keeps the current tech for thier panels. The big difference between LG & Westinghouse? Try to get the Westinghouse repaired or try to get parts. Westinghouse also has lots of deals (sales) so they can move older technology out of thier warehouse into dealers hands.

How do I know this? I own a Audio Video specialty store (since 1977) and we carry Westinghouse / LG / Samsung / Sony etc etc. I have 1st hand knowlege.

Would I buy a Westinghouse? No.

AVS forum is pretty good, but it is also like the blind leading the blind. Too many know it all "experts" that think they have a clue. Stick with brand names. Yeah, you'll pay more, but you be glad you did in a few years. BTW: My family also owns one the largest repair facility on the east coast. I know what is good, what works and what LASTS!!

yet you sell westinghouse...interesting.......
Old 04-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Team Owner

The freezing up continued so I called Westinghouse and they had me exchange my unit for a brand new one from Best Buy (it was outside Best Buy's return policy but within the Westinghouse warranty). Had the new unit for about 3 weeks and it is starting to do the same thing.

If this keeps up this unit is going back to Best Buy and I'm going to look for a different brand.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:09 PM
trill recognize trill

The freezing up continued so I called Westinghouse and they had me exchange my unit for a brand new one from Best Buy (it was outside Best Buy's return policy but within the Westinghouse warranty). Had the new unit for about 3 weeks and it is starting to do the same thing.

If this keeps up this unit is going back to Best Buy and I'm going to look for a different brand.
you get what u pay for to a certain extent..
Old 04-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

damn, that sux.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I got the same model as you at about the same time, and I have had no problems so far
Old 04-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Team Owner

There is a feature where the TV automatically switches to a newly activated intput (i.e. if you're watching TV and you turn on the DVD player it will automatically switch to the component input). I disabled this feature in the settings and I haven't had the freeze up since. I think it was somehow locking during the switchover or initiating the automatic switchover incorrectly. I'm not sure whether to take it back and exchange it again or not. The price is right and the picture quality is very good as well.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Team Owner

Just as an update. I continued to have problems with the screen freezing. Again I contacted Westinghouse and, again, got a reference number to exchange it at Best Buy. Best Buy didn't have any new 32W6 models in stock because its an old model so they let me exchange it for the Westinghouse 32H240S. I was going to stay away from Westinghouse on the third time around but, since its a newer model, I thought I'd give it another chance. I did add Best Buy's 4 year service plan for $99 as insurance. This model has more tweaks to get the picture right. So far we're on our second month with it and its been problem free.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Just dial 1911

No problems with freezing here, but I do have 2 stuck pixels. Not a big deal...
Old 09-05-2007, 06:18 PM
sup

once in awhile the colors will go totally out of whack, and the picture will be messed up. I just unplug it, and then plug it back it, and it's back to normal. other than that, the display is great
Old 09-05-2007, 08:49 PM

Mine is good. 1 year problem free - with the exception of 3 freezes - no biggie, off-on and back in business.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I came this clsoe buying a Westinghouse LCD 32" TV last week-end. It was the winner as for the specs, reviews and price.

The song changed when I compared it in the store to others.

IMO, the winner for crystal clear displays are Samsung, Sharp and Panasonic. The W and the Toshiba HL series looked fade in comparaison. I reseted the parameters of those, assuming something was tweaked, But it was not enough.

So lesson learnt; never buy a TV on specs only.

I bought a TC-32LX70 and I will prbably buy anothjer Panasonic but 50" for my basement (home theater room)
Old 09-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
IMO, the winners for crystal clear displays are Samsung, Sharp and Panasonic.

Forgot some series of Sony.