Wall Oven Install Help, have 3 wires in wall, 4 on oven, which to use?

Old 11-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wall Oven Install Help, have 3 wires in wall, 4 on oven, which to use?

Well that was a long title huh?

As stated, the new oven has 4 wires coming out. Red/Black/Green/White.

My old setup has 2 black and one red. I kept the 2 together that were connected together (red/black ones), and kept the third separate (black one, thinking that's the ground).

So, I'm assuming I use only 3 of the 4 provided on the oven...but which three.

Again, assuming red to red, black to black, but wanted to confirm which goes to the ground...the white or the green??

Any help is appreciated...thanks!

Oh, forgot to mention...no speak of any of this in the user manual/instruction guide on the oven.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:00 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Should be something identifying the types of plugs you are likely to encounter. Aside from simple issues of wiring (lights, garbage disposal) I just call an electrician.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,196 Posts
Ask but I recommend that you don't burn down your house.

If it were me I would have an electrician look at it and decide if the feed needed to be rerun.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
with AC, black is usually hot and white is neutral... green or bare copper wire is ground...BLACK IS NOT GROUND LIKE WITH DC!!! don't get yourself fried...

i have seen red also being used as hot (black)... so most likely you are running 220v to the oven??? both the black and red should be hot... the white should go to white (neutral) and the green (ground) should get grounded onto the electrical box or if the wire has a metal casing, ground the green to that...

double check your wires from the new oven... but the person who wired your previous oven could be an idiot and screwed with colors... if you don't know, just call an electrician...
Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
***Disclaimer: I've hooked up a lot of stove plugs, but I'm not in front of it looking at it so I'm using my imagination here. If you aren't sure call somebody***

With that said, if I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like the wire in the wall is old and doesn't have a safety ground, which is not unusual, especially in older houses with old wiring.

My old setup has 2 black and one red. I kept the 2 together that were connected together (red/black ones), and kept the third separate (black one, thinking that's the ground).
From reading this, the red and black that are connected together are your two hot wires, which can be hooked to either red or black coming out of the stove. The other black is your system ground, which would be hooked to the white wire on the stove. The only difference with modern wiring is the system ground is white and there is a safety ground, which is bare, then you have red and black hot wires, which are exactly the same.

Obviously at the end of the day the wire colors don't mean shit if they aren't hooked up correctly in the panel, but if it worked before how it was hooked up and you're sure about which wires were grouped together, etc., there's no reason why it shouldn't work now.

EDIT:

Just wondering why you even need to be messing with these wires...it should be as easy as hooking the wire up to the stove and plugging it into the wall. I assume the outlet you had in the wall didn't fit the plug the stove has, so you're installing a new wall outlet? Or was there never a wall plug and you're pig-tailing the wires directly?

Last edited by Scottman111; 11-30-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
it makes me wonder why you weren't using a ground wire before????
Old 11-30-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by dallison
it makes me wonder why you weren't using a ground wire before????
Safety ground hasn't been around too awfully long (in regards to wiring code requirements). Late 60's/early 70's if I remember correctly, so if it's an old wire...
Old 11-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you give me a model #, I can try to find installation instructions for you, maybe it will help
Old 11-30-2009, 06:22 PM
The Slim Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an expert but Green is ground and White is neutral. I had to do this setup on a washer.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Pro

Thanks for ALL the tips guys. You guys were pretty much spot on. In response, I'm not adding a new outlet, the 220V is hardwired to the oven (wire to wire) to outlet or plug.

Decided not to burn the house down and pay the electrician whose adding lighting fixtures and what not in the house to take a look. The white was too thin, it's being replaced. He's also running a green ground wire from the main panel, but leaving the other 2 big ones as he says they should be fine. He's also replacing the 50 amp that's in there now to a 40 amp, and it turns out the main panel wasn't properly grounded either, so he's fixing that (running to the main water line).

Our new gas cooktop and fan/vent are plug in (they were hard wire before), so he's also making that connection into an outlet for those two appliances.

He's charing $300 for the above mentioned, which includes all the parts. He's also going to do the connection from the new oven to the hard wire in the wall, just to be safe. My brother and I just need to do the heavy lifting of the double oven while he does that, and slide her in.

Outside of that, he's already installed 2 light fixtures on a wall in the family room, 1 in the ceiling of the kitchen, 3 pendants in the kitchen, and finishing up on some cans in the living room (bar area). Not bad for a trade! (he took our old flooring, as we installed new flooring). And when I say install, I mean run the cables and install the fixtures as there were none there before. The cans not too hard as the room already has 2 cans, just adding another 2.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:40 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you went the electrician route.

Hmmm... maybe should have, too. I ended up hardwiring my wall oven/micro combo and electric cooktop, but the wiring was more straightforward.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:07 PM

How old is this house and has it ever been re-wired? Just curious.

While I'm not a fan of hardwiring wire to wire like that on heavy gauge wire like this, it can be done. I still don't see why he didn't just stick an outlet in the wall to make things easier for next time...

That's good that he ran a safety ground to the stove...it would've worked fine without it but you can never be too safe.

Running the ground to the water pipe is something we had to do as a way to have more than one grounding location, but some areas are different (this wasn't required back in the day). I remember one house we did I had to drive two 6-foot copper rods into the ground, as well as the water pipe...overkill but it was required.

Anyways, I'm rambling now. You got a damn good deal for $300 even with the trade...I would've charged you out the ass for all that
Old 12-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by moeronn
Glad you went the electrician route.

Hmmm... maybe should have, too. I ended up hardwiring my wall oven/micro combo and electric cooktop, but the wiring was more straightforward.
You brave enough to post some pics for me to criticize?
Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottman111
You brave enough to post some pics for me to criticize?
Maybe of the oven. The stove was a pain in the a$$ because of being under the cabinet, so I didn't quite put it back together as nicely - i.e. no cover plate or crimped connector thingy.

BTW - neither the oven or the stove top came with plugs on them, so this seemed to be the "correct" way to do it. There was going to be wire to wire connections at some point, seemed like the junction box would be the best place, no?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Excuses excuses

Not sure about stove tops because I don't think I've ever wired one of those...I've only ever done stove/oven combos with one giant plug, where we would install an outlet into the wall. But yeah, as long as you made good connections there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I'm curious now to see how a separate oven and stove top is wired though...need pics asap
Old 12-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Scottman111
Excuses excuses

Not sure about stove tops because I don't think I've ever wired one of those...I've only ever done stove/oven combos with one giant plug, where we would install an outlet into the wall. But yeah, as long as you made good connections there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I'm curious now to see how a separate oven and stove top is wired though...need pics asap
I'll post some pics up of my setup later tonight if you'd like.

We have a double wall oven, and in a different location, just a gas cooktop. Both were hardwired. However, our new cooktop and exhaust fan use a plug, so the electrician turned the hardwire into an outlet under the cooktop. The new double wall oven however still remained hard wire. Here's a pic of my wall wiring and then the wiring coming from the oven.