In-Wall Air conditioning units

Old 08-14-2009 | 04:51 PM
The Box

In-Wall Air conditioning units

Well, I just got done with bouncing offers back and forth on my first condo! I'm very

This place has 2 in-wall a/c units that are very old and I'm assuming original - and not very energy efficient...

The apt I live in now has these installed:

They are pretty good on the electricity bill. I was hoping to find them a little cheaper. I will continue to but figured I'd ask here for some expertise
I see it at BB for $450ish, anyone know of any better deals out there?
Old 08-14-2009 | 05:54 PM

Depending on where you live, it's end of season now, so most places will have them on sale in prep for the Fall/Winter stuff.
Old 08-14-2009 | 06:30 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Check homedepot or any home improvement stores and they should have them, also sometimes it may be cheaper to by a bigger unit to cool and heat the room faster rather than have the compressor running longer with a smaller unit.
Old 08-14-2009 | 06:57 PM
Team Owner

+1 on home depot.
Old 08-14-2009 | 08:39 PM
1st TL-S on air in

call around for pricing and it is called a window unit so you dont confuse some people. As one of my co-workers and i say when we joke around "cant fix stupid" lol
Old 08-14-2009 | 08:44 PM
Team Owner

^there is actually some difference between an in wall unit and a window unit.
Old 08-15-2009 | 02:46 PM
The Box

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
call around for pricing and it is called a window unit so you dont confuse some people. As one of my co-workers and i say when we joke around "cant fix stupid" lol
Actually it's a wall unit, not a window unit. This is one that actually goes into a hole in the wall. I've had them at a few apartments that I've had and they are very similar.

Here is one that is in my current apartment which is the same one as the one pictured above.
[IMG][/IMG]

Originally Posted by doopstr
^there is actually some difference between an in wall unit and a window unit.
I believe it's mostly the fact that the one that goes into the wall is a specific universal size that fits most apt buildings and older 70's condos when these were mostly put in.
Old 08-15-2009 | 02:48 PM
The Box

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Depending on where you live, it's end of season now, so most places will have them on sale in prep for the Fall/Winter stuff.
I'm in Milwaukee, hopefully with Winter coming they will drop in price a little bit. I really don't need them right away but would like to replace the hideous non-energy friendly units.
Old 08-18-2009 | 10:52 AM
Chapter Leader (New England)

I work for a property management company in Hartford, and 90% of our apartments have those sleeve type AC units. I would suggest checking out this place.....

http://www.rainbowappliance.com/Air-...nditioners-10/

We get all of our AC units from there and found them to be cheaper than HD and Lowes.
Old 08-19-2009 | 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

i had to help my friend with his in wall unit this past weekend... for some reason it started to leak water to the inside instead of outside... it was a PITA to get out of the wall as it seems like the guys who installed it went sprayfoam crazy to seal the gaps... i had to saw through it and then crowbar the unit out...

i understand the ability to save space versus taking up the window space, but damn i hated that... /end
Old 08-20-2009 | 07:52 AM
The Box

Originally Posted by JMillerUA6
I work for a property management company in Hartford, and 90% of our apartments have those sleeve type AC units. I would suggest checking out this place.....

http://www.rainbowappliance.com/Air-...nditioners-10/

We get all of our AC units from there and found them to be cheaper than HD and Lowes.
Thanks! These prices are much more reasonable!

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
i had to help my friend with his in wall unit this past weekend... for some reason it started to leak water to the inside instead of outside... it was a PITA to get out of the wall as it seems like the guys who installed it went sprayfoam crazy to seal the gaps... i had to saw through it and then crowbar the unit out...

i understand the ability to save space versus taking up the window space, but damn i hated that... /end
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to replacing them. It's not something that has to get done right away but I would like to purchase the units during an off-season for some savings.
Old 08-20-2009 | 12:38 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Good info here. I need to replace ours, though I rarely find them in any stores. Most places only carry window units.

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg

This happened to a neighbor. You need to make sure the unit is perfectly level to prevent that.
Old 08-20-2009 | 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by moeronn
This happened to a neighbor. You need to make sure the unit is perfectly level to prevent that.
well the a/c unit was poorly designed to begin with... on the back of the A/C unit was a hole to drain the excess water/condensation... but the hole was a cm higher than the lowest edge of the unit... im like why didn't they make the hole on the bottom?!?!?

so i opened the unit up, cleaned up all the gunk on the inside and drilled two new holes on the bottom on each corner... works like a dream now...