URGENT Backsplash ideas needed!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
URGENT Backsplash ideas needed!

Guys, thinking of doing a similar color and pattern as a kitchen backsplash. Do you guys think it will match?Opinions? We're getting this done on Saturday....

Here is the granite/tile after it was first put in. Keep in mind, this is a very OLD pics.. much has changed in this room (lighting, hardware, etc) . When we are done, I'll post the newest pics.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
The granite is darker and in the same color family, so the lighter backsplash would work. We have the bronze inset tiles and they absolutely make the backsplash
Old 03-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

just go the veto from the wife, who doesnt want to do one, would rather paint.. she thinks we have too much going on. I do see her point though... because then we would have like a million themes. At least paint would give us a more uniform look...
Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Veto her veto. Tile backsplash, especially in a diamond pattern, looks great with granite. Paint will be plain and will soak up splashes / spatters from the stove and sink.

Just don't get Travartine - it's too porous.

At the least, get tile behind the stove.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:03 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a tough call. I would have definitely recommended tiling if you didn't already have the 4"(?) granite backsplash. I've seen tiles over the granite and it isn't bad, but I like the full-height tile better.

Here's what we did - still under construction. We just finished painting the cabinet frames and just need to do the doors and drawers, then install new hardware. Hope to finish up this weekend. Link is to larger version.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2086/...ffde21ba_b.jpg

BTW, your second image shows as a red x here.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Wife sent me this link, and prefers the subway glass type of tiles, in this color:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
Old 03-31-2008, 03:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Get rid of those ugly exposed hinges on your cabinets. :wink:
Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I don't know about your wife's style yo, but granite back splashes or crushed glass tiles are the in thing now.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the tile idea but hate the acccent tiles and the light color.

I think a richer color tile would look better. ie: the darkest tile on the left would be the lightest color on the new palate.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:54 PM
on to the next one...

Lately, I've been a big fan of the small-tile/assorted-color backsplash...if only for behind the stove...

and my fave:
Old 04-02-2008, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by SakiGT
I like the tile idea but hate the acccent tiles and the light color.

I think a richer color tile would look better. ie: the darkest tile on the left would be the lightest color on the new palate.
I agree with the choice of accent tiles in that picture - or do you hate the idea of accent tiles, too? FWIW, I think the tiles need to be sealed (as do mine) which will darken them up a bit.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

nice pics ^ ^ We decided to go with some 2x2 glass tiles... pics when done! 1x1's seemed a bit too busy with our granite...
Old 04-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by bgsm1th
Lately, I've been a big fan of the small-tile/assorted-color backsplash...if only for behind the stove...

and my fave:

Now that's what I'm talking about... esp the last one
Old 04-04-2008, 09:48 AM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Now that's what I'm talking about... esp the last one
I currently have an all white kitchen that REALLY needs a make-over, and those rectangular light-green glass tiles just might be what my kitchen needs. Luckily, I can get just about any stone and tile I want for FREE! Time to go get some samples.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

hah... now I'm back to small glass 1x1's... picking them up today. After seeing multiple sites and pics with 1x1's, it just looked so much better. Now the question is to either have them the same color or have them mixed up a bit.... not sure since our granite is very busy.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 PM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by synth19
hah... now I'm back to small glass 1x1's... picking them up today. After seeing multiple sites and pics with 1x1's, it just looked so much better. Now the question is to either have them the same color or have them mixed up a bit.... not sure since our granite is very busy.

You HAVE to get mixed, but with the same accents. nice character without looking busy.

although, this same color tile is pretty sweet:

Old 04-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Team Owner

Here's my backsplash - ceramic over a granite backsplash. I don't think this is what the OP is looking for, but it's an idea for others who may visit this thread.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

^ nice! OK guys, went with a glass 2x2 (solid color for the kitchen), and a small 1x1 in various complementing colors (1x1's in a sq. ft sheet) for the bar area... will post pics later on...
Old 04-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator

oh, installer is doing the install as we speak.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh, installer is doing the install as we speak.
Cool, post some pics when you're done.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
newsflash fellas, as someone in the high end architectural design industry, tile backsplashes are fucking OUT of style..

full height stone backsplashes or large scale back-painted glass backsplashes are in now....at least thats the case in ultra high-end residential condo development...

and the faucets in this thread?? holy shit is that stuff terrible...

if you want real faucets, youre going to have to pony up for the Vola or Hansgrohe stuff...
Old 04-05-2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by BubbaMarkTL
newsflash fellas, as someone in the high end architectural design industry, tile backsplashes are fucking OUT of style..

full height stone backsplashes or large scale back-painted glass backsplashes are in now....at least thats the case in ultra high-end residential condo development...

if you want real faucets, youre going to have to pony up for the Vola or Hansgrohe stuff...
Thank you for that insightful bit of knowledge. Just keep in mind not everyone is all about the "ultra high-end condo development" look.

As for full height stone - do you mean granite slab? granite tiles? travertine? tumbled marble? Stone is a pretty generic term.

Personally, I think the full height granite slab backsplash looks like too much of a good thing. Some contrast and compliments add to a kitchen - IMVHO.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Instructor

That's about 2% of the US population I think. Thanks for the info, but most of us are working stiffs trying to do this stuff on a budget. $700 for a faucet is already obscene, I can't imagine what they are in a "high end condo."

Post some pics of a back-painted glass backsplash.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
That's about 2% of the US population I think. Thanks for the info, but most of us are working stiffs trying to do this stuff on a budget. $700 for a faucet is already obscene, I can't imagine what they are in a "high end condo."

Post some pics of a back-painted glass backsplash.
there are knock-off brands that emulate the styles and themes of the ultra high end plumbing fixtures, for less than 1/2 the price and are arguably of equal quality. Id have to go through some of the photographs on my work computers this week to post something but its really simple. The styles have leaned toward clean, crisp, thin appearances in kitchen design. OF course this is the bleeding edge of the design trends and it may take a bit for those trends to trickle down to the home depot kitchen redesign customer...

in regards to backpainted glass backsplashes, the cost is probably the same if not CHEAPER than doing tile. Its simple really. just large plates of glass with no horizontal joint lines at all and MINIMAL vertical joints...where the vertical joints must occur, they align with the reveals between cabinet doors above and/or below. for sinks, the trends are typically very squared off or rectangular, NO softend corners or rolled edges. very crisp. undermounted stainless steel. the trend for thickend slab edges on countertops is also going the way of the dodo bird. Lately we have been providing cabinetry with 1/2 thick stone profiles on the countertop, no longer is it important to see a 1-1/2" facia on the edge of the countertop.

Pick up a copy of the latest interior design magazine and you will see page after page of amazing mondern kitchen design.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Team Owner

OF course this is the bleeding edge of the design trends and it may take a bit for those trends to trickle down to the home depot kitchen redesign customer...

And by the time these trends hit the mainstream remodeling market, something else will be bleeding edge and you will be putting people down for using the exact same designs that you are touting today.

Synth19 -- pics?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by svtmike

And by the time these trends hit the mainstream remodeling market, something else will be bleeding edge and you will be putting people down for using the exact same designs that you are touting today.

Synth19 -- pics?

well thats the nature of life my friend, that theory holds true for everything from the latest design styles, to your beloved car, to the very computer you are using now.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Team Owner

well thats the nature of life my friend, that theory holds true for everything from the latest design styles, to your beloved car, to the very computer you are using now.
No shit. So why put people down for using what's available to them in the mainstream? Or do you just enjoy being an e-prick?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:43 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

You sound like a snobby f'n tool. So why are "Vola or Hansgrohe stuff" better then everything else? Just because you read about it, or because it's what people are saying is currently the shit? Perhaps we all need to start subscribing to "high end" interior design mags to check ourselves. I wish I was a baller like you, because you probably re-do your kitchen ever two years.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

OMG. Now you're telling us to buy knock off brands that "emulate" the latest and current hot trends? If the quality might be the same, as you suggested, that's fine... but do you realize that some people may not want the "latest" thing they see in some mag? Rather, some ppl want to pick products based on what they like, rather thenn what some people think they should like, or what is perceived as hot. The look they prefer might be trendy, classic, or whatever... but it's the person's decision to make. You have to keep in mind that everyone has different opinions. The way you think reminds me of high school logic. If you came across a bit more respectful, your "insight" would have been much more respected. Instead, you sound like a obnoxious prick.

there are knock-off brands that emulate the styles and themes of the ultra high end plumbing fixtures, for less than 1/2 the price and are arguably of equal quality. Id have to go through some of the photographs on my work computers this week to post something but its really simple. The styles have leaned toward clean, crisp, thin appearances in kitchen design. OF course this is the bleeding edge of the design trends and it may take a bit for those trends to trickle down to the home depot kitchen redesign customer...

in regards to backpainted glass backsplashes, the cost is probably the same if not CHEAPER than doing tile. Its simple really. just large plates of glass with no horizontal joint lines at all and MINIMAL vertical joints...where the vertical joints must occur, they align with the reveals between cabinet doors above and/or below. for sinks, the trends are typically very squared off or rectangular, NO softend corners or rolled edges. very crisp. undermounted stainless steel. the trend for thickend slab edges on countertops is also going the way of the dodo bird. Lately we have been providing cabinetry with 1/2 thick stone profiles on the countertop, no longer is it important to see a 1-1/2" facia on the edge of the countertop.

Pick up a copy of the latest interior design magazine and you will see page after page of amazing mondern kitchen design.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Sorry, wife was out of town so she took the digi cam. I'll snap some later this week. It came out pretty nice. Has a cool retro kinda look. But I'm thinking of redoing everything next week and trying something more trendy. Matter of fact, might have to demolish my house at this point. lol

Synth19 -- pics?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
on to the next one...

That may be.
...BUT...
My house is a 5 year home for me. When I go to sell it in 2010, I need the house to be somewhat universal. Ask any Realtor and they will tell you that trendy, edgy looks will not attract a wide range of buyers like a more utilitarian look might.

Not only that, but your "style" would look completely ridiculous in my 1940's bungalow home.

Also, I can't imagine the shitload you drop on your fancy-ass faucet up's the resale on your home any compared to a $100 faucet that functions just as well.

Let's see your kitchen Bubba....
Old 04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
on to the next one...

By the way, I THINK this is what Bubba is talking about when he mentions back-painted glass backsplashes. Feel free to correct me Bubba...

Old 04-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Team Owner

Let me be the first to say that I don't care for the back-painted glass look. And it's good to see colors back from the 50s and 60s.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:33 PM

Let me be the first to say that I don't care for the back-painted glass look.
+1 It actually looks like an Ikea catalogue to me.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Sorry, wife was out of town so she took the digi cam. I'll snap some later this week. It came out pretty nice. Has a cool retro kinda look. But I'm thinking of redoing everything next week and trying something more trendy. Matter of fact, might have to demolish my house at this point. lol
\

....at least leave the fireplace, so you will have a starting place....LOL...

Anyhoo....my wife and I actually want to do a backsplash in a older, tin style b/c we want a cafe look in our kitchen...

Looking forward to seeing your pics... love the counter top's color....does it have any metallic in it?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
By the way, I THINK this is what Bubba is talking about when he mentions back-painted glass backsplashes. Feel free to correct me Bubba...

you are exactly right. those pics are a great example of "simple" glass backsplashes. they can get more detailed with lighting built INTO the wall behind with motion sensor on/off switches, integrated stainless or aluminum trim or reveal lines, etc.

it may not be everyones style, but i assue you, if you want a sneak peak at what you will be wishing you had in your kitchen 10 years from now, start looking at stuff like this.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Racer

You sound like a snobby f'n tool. So why are "Vola or Hansgrohe stuff" better then everything else? Just because you read about it, or because it's what people are saying is currently the shit? Perhaps we all need to start subscribing to "high end" interior design mags to check ourselves. I wish I was a baller like you, because you probably re-do your kitchen ever two years.

ok, ill bite. why is your ridiculously modified 350z or whatever car you have now better than an Altima? or a Kia? wouldnt both get a person from point A to point B? what is worth money to some people is worthless to others.

Do your research, the Vola and Hansgrohe names have quite a long-lived reputation behind them and YES they will out perform any peice of shit Home Depot faucet you are rocking...both in terms of appearance, durability, and longevity. does everyone need or want stuff like that? certainly not...much like not everyone needs or wants a modified impractical sports car over a simple mode of daily transportation.

some people piss money away on cars, some piss it away on clothes, some piss it away on faucets, whatever floats your boat man!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Racer

OMG. Now you're telling us to buy knock off brands that "emulate" the latest and current hot trends? If the quality might be the same, as you suggested, that's fine... but do you realize that some people may not want the "latest" thing they see in some mag? Rather, some ppl want to pick products based on what they like, rather thenn what some people think they should like, or what is perceived as hot. The look they prefer might be trendy, classic, or whatever... but it's the person's decision to make. You have to keep in mind that everyone has different opinions. The way you think reminds me of high school logic. If you came across a bit more respectful, your "insight" would have been much more respected. Instead, you sound like a obnoxious prick.

i never said the quality would be the same, i said "arguably".

in other words, for every asshole that "THINKS" his Westinghouse LCD television he bought at Target looks just as good as the Pioneer Plasma his neighbor has, theres another asshole that can EASILY spot the difference.

Its all a matter of priorities, personal preference, etc.

I will be totally honest with you, I LOVE the new highest end stuff, I work with it every single day, I specifiy it for clients and i detail kitchens, offices, showrooms, etc, that I can never and will never be able to afford. I personally do not see it as a wise investment to spend 1400 dollars on a kitchen faucet. Especially not in the current real estate market where the return on that investment will not be anywhere near 100%.

I LOVE that style and the associated performance and as such, I am more than happy to do a little digging and track down alternative faucets of similar styles for 1/4 of the cost. Sure, the name brand etched on it is different but its a style I like and the quality, while not that of the highest of the high end, still far surpasses that of a 49.99 home depot special.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:10 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

So hows that back splash comin

Quick Reply: URGENT Backsplash ideas needed!