Painting Sucks!!!

Old 07-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Painting Sucks!!!

It's my least favorite task.

So far we have the bed-rooms almost all done. The only thing left is to touch up the pop corn ceiling in the areas I got some of the wall paint or we may do crown molding. Haven't decided yet. And we have to paint the door moldings. The wife picked the color for the master since I got to pick the color for the baby's room. She went with a lilac. I know, I have a fucking purple bedroom. Actually it looks kinda gray-blue later in the day and lilac in the sunlight.

The baby's bedroom needs to have the trim painted around the windows. Then I get to rehang all the doors. We split the colors in the baby's room, so we have to get a strip of trim to go over where the colors meet. The colors we went with is a sky blue for the bottom and a tan for the top half. And all the molding is being painted gloss white.

Hallway is done. Laundry room is done. The mother-in-law stayed there one night since she was bored and painted all the doors, laundry room, including moving and painting behind the washer and dryer, pantry and completing the kitchen.

The kitchen is completely done. Just needs a strip of floor molding. We went with a yellow for the kitchen.

Bathrooms were in good shape, and we decided that the colors fit well. We may paint one of the walls an accent color, but not til later.

Living room is a bitch with the high ceilings. It's not 16 feet. I measured it at 14 feet. 2 less feet on a 21 foot wide wall to paint. Still a pain in the ass. A friend of mine painted the ceiling for me while I worked on the walls. So far 2 of the walls have been painted with one coat. One wall has been double coated and so that one is done. Just have to paint the door way between the kitchen and dining area. And of course trim and molding galore.

I'm heading down there tonight or tomorrow morning to complete the second coat on the other 2 walls and to do the edging where the walls meet the ceiling. The color we went with for the living room is called Brown Buzz for 3 of the walls. It's a light brown with some green. I know it sounds fugly, but it actually looks good. The forth wall in the living room/dining room we're going to leave off-white for 2 reasons. It compliments the other walls well, and I didn't want to have to paint the stair case that is attached to that wall since that is about 14 feet high in some areas.

I can't wait to get this done. Carpet is being installed on Wednesday. So I have tonight, tomorrow morning, Sunday and Monday evening to get the painting done. Should be plenty of time, but you never know.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:25 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, i hate painting.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
yes, i hate painting.

Same here. I'll never paint again. Thank God our neighbor owns a painting company... so when the time comes to put some colors on the walls, I'll just be walking next store to get a quote and a crew over here

Next to mowing the lawn, painting was my least favorite thing to do...
Old 07-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I hate painting too... But my wife likes changing colors... And she is too short to paint anything more than 6 feet up - and too clumsy to use a ladder.

Have you ever watched professional painters. They can paint a room in a quarter of the time of a shmuck like me. I know one guy who will edge an entire room using a 5gal. paint pail as his ladder - he rocks the bucket back and forth to walk it around the room and never puts a foot on the floor. They use stilts instead of ladders with high ceilings.

The problem is that with as much as I hate painting - it is too easy a job to pay someone.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JLatimer
The problem is that with as much as I hate painting - it is too easy a job to pay someone.
I got quoted $400 to $500 to paint just the living room and dining area walls. For the entire place the guy I spoke too said he can do it for a reasonable $1000 to $1200. And I had to supply all the painting supplies, and off course paint.

$1000 is a lot for me. Maybe 1/3 of my new TV.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if I am going to pay for someone to paint he better do a better job than me. Not too many can do better than me. FASTER yes, BETTER, no. My wife and I joke that if I did this for a living we would starve - but every room comes out damn near perfect. Yes, I have issues.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm a perfectionist so painting is extra pianful for me - I see every falw. My wife is liek "Aww no one'll even notice". I see it. We painted all of the trim in our hall, kitchen and living room from stained wood to white - major pain in the arse!

Now let's see some pics of the painted rooms.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 65 Fury Convert
I'm a perfectionist so painting is extra pianful for me - I see every falw. My wife is liek "Aww no one'll even notice". I see it. We painted all of the trim in our hall, kitchen and living room from stained wood to white - major pain in the arse!

Now let's see some pics of the painted rooms.
I'm a perfectionist painting NOT spelling
Old 07-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I hate painting as well. I need to paint my room soon too,......totally sucks .
Old 07-22-2006, 07:08 AM
Dr. Feelgood

The only part I hate about painting is washing the damn paint off my hands! I also hate painting close to the trims as well.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Team Owner

Update

Most of the painting is done. All I have left is the floor molding in the living room, paint around the windows and to edge the ceiling in the master bedroom. Should be done tomorrow.

I'll post pics as soon as it's all done.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Here are some of the pics I took while we were still working. I didn't have my camera to take pics after we got the carpet changed and now we're just moved in so the place is a mess with boxes all through the place.

These were all taken before the carpet was replaced. So it's no longer that dirty off-white color. We went with a color called light oak.

The outside, we're on the top floor....

The living room. Sorry, it was kinda dark when I took these. The green looks really nice in the day light. And of course all the edging is now done. That 14 foot wall was a bitch. One of my friends did the entire ceiling.

I still have to get all the outlets changed. The old ones were painted over by one of the previous owners.

The dining area....

The kitchen. Painted by the mother-in-law and wifey. They did a really good job. Beth is thinking about possibly painting all the cabinets white.

Dirty ceiling fan. The blades are now cleaned.

The baby's room. I had the most fun painting this room. It really came out a lot better than I expected.

Still have to get a strip of molding to cover the white band in the middle of the room. And then assemble the crib, and that room is set.

The master bedroom. All the trim has been painted and the doors are back on. The color pissed me off at first, but it really grew on me. And it looks a lot better with the furniture in the room, and the doors re-hung.

Walk in closet to the left and master bath to the right. Also have to change all these outlets.

The view from the master bedroom balcony. That came in handy yesterday after we got everything moved in. And it will come in hangy again this week while we're unpacking.

The stairway. This was the only area not painted since we knew that it would get messed up while moving.

I'll take some more pics when I get a chance and the boxes are emptied and the place is all clean.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Its not the actual painting that sucks....its the prep and clean up!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:08 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
wow. you guys did a GREAT job. i just about love all the colors.

the baby's room is GORGEOUS.

the kitchen will look great with the cabinets painted white and the hardware switched to nickel or stainless steel.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Painting does suck. Even more more so when you realize you are painting over oil based and all the paint you spent several hours applying starts peeling off when you pull the tape.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by soopa
wow. you guys did a GREAT job. i just about love all the colors.

the baby's room is GORGEOUS.

the kitchen will look great with the cabinets painted white and the hardware switched to nickel or stainless steel.
Thanks.

I like the idea about changing all the hardware to stainless. I'll run it by the "front-office." Painting the cabinets will probably have to wait a couple months though. It's a low priority issue right now.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by moeronn
Painting does suck. Even more more so when you realize you are painting over oil based and all the paint you spent several hours applying starts peeling off when you pull the tape.
Crap....that does suck.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Can you please tell me the colors you used in the baby's room? And who makes the paint. I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Can you please tell me the colors you used in the baby's room? And who makes the paint. I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
I'll look for the exact colors when I go home. It's American Tradition Signiture line. We got it at Lowes.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I'll look for the exact colors when I go home. It's American Tradition Signiture line. We got it at Lowes.
Did you like the way it went on? Coverage etc. How about smell - some brands really stink. I think Amer Trad got good ratings.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Just curious - do you do all your trim and edging first or last?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
looks awesome. i love painting just hate cleaning up afterwards.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Team Owner

Just curious - do you do all your trim and edging first or last?
I did the edging last. Since we were junking the carpet, I used a Wagner on the longer walls. I sprayed on a nice coat and back rolled it with a clean, dry roller. I stopped painting at about 1 foot from the ceiling to avoid any over spray on to the ceiling since I painted those first. When you rolled it smooth, I was able to cover that foot easily. Then the wife did the edging. It actually came out really well. Back rolling it smoothes it out better than just using a roller.

The next day I came back and did the second coat with a roller. No spraying. And we re-did the edging. The trim was done a couple days later. It was easy to tape off the wall and do the trim after the walls were done. If you did the trim first, I think it's too much work to get a nice straight edge for the wall.

3M makes a low tack tape for freshly painted walls, but you still should wait about 24-36 hours. It's expensive shit though.

As for the drying and odor etc. The odor was not really bad. We were really concerned because of the baby, but it went away in about 2 days.

The paint dried really well. And it did not take forever. The dimentions of the baby's room is 13x10, with 8 foot ceilings. I painted the brown half about 4 feet 6 inches and the blue was about 3 feet 4 inches. I was able to start the second coat of the brown right after I was done with the first coat all around the room.

The coverage was tough to estimate since it was the first time I used a Wagner. I think I used a bit much. However the baby's room was done with just rollers, and it took a half gallon of the brown to do 2 coats on the top half and a little less than a half gallon for the blue.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Michiraces2much
looks awesome. i love painting just hate cleaning up afterwards.
Thanks.

Hints for anyone else that has to do some painting to save on some clean up. Cover the roller trays with a garbage bag and tape the bottom so it doesn't move. When you're done, drain the excess, let the bag dry and throw it out. Saves like 20 minutes and a lot of mess. And use coffee cups to hold paint when you're doing the edging. They're the perfect size.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks.

Cover the roller trays with a garbage bag
Great idea!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Team Anthracite Member

hey you find out those paint color names yet?

thanks.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

thanks.
Sorry dude. I spent the better part of the weekend assembling furniture. I'll try to remember to check tonight.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:01 AM
Team Owner

thanks.
Hey Tbone...Sorry for the delay. The blue is called Powder Blue 4. The brown is Taupe 3. They are both interior satin finishes from the Signiture Collection from American Tradition. I got them at Lowes. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Hey Tbone...Sorry for the delay. The blue is called Powder Blue 4. The brown is Taupe 3. They are both interior satin finishes from the Signiture Collection from American Tradition. I got them at Lowes. Hope this helps.
Hey wow thanks! I know you said you were busy doing a bunch of other things - thanks for taking the time to get this...Much appreciated.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Who cares

buy yourself a power roller while your at it. you won't be sorry.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 04acura tl
buy yourself a power roller while your at it. you won't be sorry.
I've used them before. Honestly, it wasn't too much to use the Wagner and back roll it. And just the roller on the other walls didn't take long at all. That paint covers really well.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Who cares

I hear you. If your a home owner you will not be sorry at all that you picked one of these up.

figure every time you take a regular roller off the wall to dip it in the paint can this one will still be painting. It cuts your painting time by at least 50%
Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by 04acura tl
I hear you. If your a home owner you will not be sorry at all that you picked one of these up.

figure every time you take a regular roller off the wall to dip it in the paint can this one will still be painting. It cuts your painting time by at least 50%
OK I'm in - where can I get one? What do you recommend?
Are they a pain in the butt to clean?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Team Owner

OK I'm in - where can I get one? What do you recommend?
Are they a pain in the butt to clean?
you can get it at pretty much any hardware store. I know they had them at Lowes.

I think they are a pain to clean, but maybe you can just hook it up to a gallon can with just water to clean out the hoses, and wash the roller like you would wash a regular one. And if you are going to be painting a couple days in a row, store the rollers in a zip lock bag in th refrigerator. That will prevent it from drying out.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Who cares

yep I got mine at home depot. They have a clean switch on them. I usally put the intake hose in a dish or tall glass and let the water run into the glass. I remove the roller first and run the excess paint back in to the paint can.
Then I put the intake line in a glass and let it run for about 10 minutes or so.
wash the roller by hand like normal.
this is also a great tool for doing trim work

they are about 10 bucks. One fill will trim out a good sized room. nice stuff