New Windows

Old 10-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Windows

Have you replaced the windows in your house? What brand did you get? How do you like them? My house is almost 40 years old and has cheap, thin windows that don't seal and rattle at the slightest breeze or bump to a wall. My parents just had theirs done and I was surpised that there wasn't any destruction to the window openings. I'm thinking that will be my next improvement when I get some money.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Im kinda partial to Pella. We installed them in my parents house when i built it, and i have started to replace mine at home with them. Anderson is also a good brand
Old 10-23-2005, 06:06 AM
ric
Safety Car

Pella and Anderson are both major "brand names" and Pella makes a class act. Pella is sheathed in aluminum on the exterior, while Anderson is sheathed in a dense vinyl. I believe Anderson provides a wider range of exterior colors. There are a number of other manufacturers, including Marvin, that make good window.

Personally, from my old days of having a moonlight residential practice, I felt Pella Windows were very fully valued for the $$$ spent, although they make a very good product. If you want a cadillac, and are willing to pay for it, Pella is fine. Anderson, with a less aggressive marketing division, also makes a very fine product, and was, at least a few years ago, priced competitively.

Easiest way to determine what you want is to get to HD or Lowe's and poke at the windows, or do the same on the web. Go for the "technical" information, and learn how to read it. Understand their references to the length of time the wood is dried, the quality of the wood used, etc.

Also, think carefully about the window that you want. I personally think the windows that have blinds in them are difficult to maintain, and inevitably, the seal gets broken and dust gets in. I also personally don't like snap-in window mullions. If you do get that for a "colonial" look, at least try to find a manufacturer that supplies snap-ins on both the interior and the exterior.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I can't wait to see how drafty my crappy ass thin rattling windows are this winter. At least they don't leak but I sense I will have to eventually replace them and damn that's going to be a big bill
Old 10-23-2005, 12:16 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like you are looking for "replacement window's", on older houses window's weren't as standard as they are today and they make replacement window's that are super easy to install in this type of situation, assuming you have even minimal skills in this area you can do it yourself.

As for brands Pella and Anderson are the leaders of the pack, Harvey is not far behind and is MUCH less money. I do development and use a fair amount of windows and have stopped using Pella and Anderson because they are SOOOO expensive for what you get, Harvey's are great from my experiences so far and the company really seems to be growing rapidly. Of course if you want the best and aren't affraid to pay for it I'd do Pella followed by Anderson, however if you want to save a lot and get a very high quality window I'd look into Harvey.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Horny.

I just had replaced the windows before last winter. Just generic double hang vinyl, low-e and argon insulated.

The 1st thing I notice was that the house was quieter. I do not hear cars pass the house on the street anylonger, except those punk ass w/ bass system that rattle everything 3 blocks away.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by Tireguy
It sounds like you are looking for "replacement window's", on older houses window's weren't as standard as they are today and they make replacement window's that are super easy to install in this type of situation, assuming you have even minimal skills in this area you can do it yourself.
Is there anywhere on the web I could see basic installation methods for replacement windows? Is everything done from inside the house? Can one person do it?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

I for one would stay away completely from 100% aluminum windows. If you live anywhere near cold areas, I have even seen condensation, very cold condensation form on the inside of the window frames. Generally, you only see these en mass on your cheaper apartment buildings, but some homes have then too.

To me, these things are one giant red flag against renting or owning that place.

As an example, in my first condominuim, I had wood windows, but an aluminum sliding glass door to the patio, and I had strip oak floors that abutted up to them. That floor could get very, very cold when the thermometer hit zero or so. Then, to make a long story short, the joint burnt down, and everything had to be rebuilt. I went with a 100% wood Marvin glass slider this time (about $700 in 1994), and the difference was remarkable.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TXXXX
I just had replaced the windows before last winter. Just generic double hang vinyl, low-e and argon insulated.

The 1st thing I notice was that the house was quieter. I do not hear cars pass the house on the street anylonger, except those punk ass w/ bass system that rattle everything 3 blocks away.
This is interesting because I replaced my windows with double-hung vinyl replacements and I didn't notice less noise in the house, which is one of the reasons I replaced them in the first place. Mine are all low-e but no argon. Maybe the argon was the difference?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Horny.

Originally Posted by doopstr
Is there anywhere on the web I could see basic installation methods for replacement windows? Is everything done from inside the house? Can one person do it?
The measurements of the windows are the key.

I saw those guy installed my windows, 4 screws holding the damn thing. And some insulation around the edges and some 1/4 round (or square trim) on the inside. This is a breeze.

The hard part I think is the aluminum covered exterior trim.

Originally Posted by 65 Fury Convert
This is interesting because I replaced my windows with double-hung vinyl replacements and I didn't notice less noise in the house, which is one of the reasons I replaced them in the first place. Mine are all low-e but no argon. Maybe the argon was the difference?
Well, we had the all welded frame and sash or the contractor called "premium" vinyl windows.
Plus the old casement window had the inside glass as a insert (kind like the old window with the mesh screen insert, but glass in this case), might be rattling.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:04 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
I just had my windows replaced about 6 months ago with retrofit windows. It isn't that difficult, but there really isn't much info on the web that I found at the time. As TXXXXXXXX mentioned, the measurements are the most important thing. Since you will be installing over the existing aluminum frame you measure from the "inside" of the frame. You take out the sliding windows, cut through the center "support" so you can remove the stationary window. The frame stays in place and the new windows fit right in. You put some screws in, chaulk it up and put in some trim. Some manufacturers day to place a board on the sill to support the window, but I don't know that it's necessary.

It's probably a two person job, though. And while it "can" be done from the inside, you probably want to be able to work from both sides. If it's a mutli-story house, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe a scafold for the outside or get those suction cup handles if you have to do it from the inside.

This is just my . You can probably get someone to install them for around $250 each window.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:03 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
make sure you spend decent money on the windows. the place we rent has replacement windows from 5 years ago.
they are the cheapest thing possible. we have to put plastic on em to keep the cold air out.
the one has a huge gap in it and the wind comes right thru.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Horny.

Originally Posted by dallison
make sure you spend decent money on the windows. the place we rent has replacement windows from 5 years ago.
they are the cheapest thing possible. we have to put plastic on em to keep the cold air out.
But what do ou expect? They are only interest in collecting the money/minimum expense.

The one has huge gap is poor workmanship.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Racer

Were is the gap? If it is between the new replacement window and the old frame, just use some caulk to seal it up(inside and ou if possible). If it is at the window sash and the frame, it is either installed out of square of bad workmanship.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:37 PM
registered pw

Originally Posted by o3jeff
Were is the gap? If it is between the new replacement window and the old frame, just use some caulk to seal it up(inside and ou if possible). If it is at the window sash and the frame, it is either installed out of square of bad workmanship.
it is between the vinyl frame and teh window
Old 11-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Racer

it is between the vinyl frame and teh window
If it is the old frame, just run a bead of silicone caulk around the perimeter were they meet. They should all have been done when they were installed.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:53 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I've replaced ONE big window with a contractor brand (so far) and have spent the past 2 days shopping around for a replacement for the LARGEST window in my house...

It's a double-hung, double-wide. I'm looking for half screens and in-glass grilles... Low-E/Argon.

I've priced them out at Home Depot (Anderson), Lowes (Pella), and a company called C&S (Contractor Grade I used previously).

HD: $689
Lowes: $529
C&S: $463

The $463 with the contractor brand was "better" window than both HD/Lowes, with fully welded frame/etc. However, it had less "decoration" than the Pella's (plain white/plastic rails instead of the silver metal of Pella).

So far, these leads me to believe that for their low-level brands, Pella is mostly a name/decoration. This was Pella's 200-something series though, they go up to 850 series with in-glass blinds/etc.

I'm heading right now to the real Pella Design Center to see if their Pella is better than Lowe's Pella. Hopefully, without Lowes 3% markup, it's cheaper as well.

Unless I'm wowed here, I think I'll stick with the contractor brand which is a good bit cheaper and a better constructed unit.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:57 PM
The Creator

Eh, I got lazy and just called Pella...

$1120 + TAX for essentially the "same" window.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by soopa
I've priced them out at Home Depot (Anderson), Lowes (Pella), and a company called C&S (Contractor Grade I used previously).
If it is from C&S Distributors out of Windsor, Ct it is a real good window. They use a Mastic brand window system.(Same system the Company I rep for uses)

Also stay away for the price point Pella and Andersen sold at the Depot or Lowes.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:19 PM
registered pw

Originally Posted by soopa
Eh, I got lazy and just called Pella...

$1120 + TAX for essentially the "same" window.
them sob's
Old 11-14-2005, 06:52 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by o3jeff
If it is from C&S Distributors out of Windsor, Ct it is a real good window. They use a Mastic brand window system.(Same system the Company I rep for uses)

Also stay away for the price point Pella and Andersen sold at the Depot or Lowes.
It is.

I just went to Lowes and played with their "Pella" windows... they're reeaaaallll shitty compared to the C&S stuff.

I'd say C&S is the better buy. They're only ~$50~ cheaper for the window I used as an example here, but for the last window I replaced they were $150 cheaper. That's a significant price cut for a better quality window.

Based on these past two experiences, I'd say stick with a good contractor brand (if you have a contractor account) over HD/Lowes or Pella directly unless you're going for the HIGH END Pella series with built-in blinds/etc.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Racer

Stick with the C&S stuff(unfortunately I can only sell to General Contractors or Lumber yards)

Also make sure when you got the Pella price that they had a custom size for your opening, most of the time they will round it to there nearest standard size and you have to fill in your window opening were as the C&S they make per the size you give them
Old 11-14-2005, 07:10 PM
The Creator

good to know someone here as first-hand behind the scenes knowledge.

yeah, the contractors-only bit is tough, but most contractors around here have an account (and I use my grandfathers account) so it's easy for me.

going to pick up a window from them tomorrow and hopefully a new door