New Bathtub

Old 10-27-2006, 11:27 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
New Bathtub

For those of you who have the bathtubs with the jets in them - how do you like them? I don't know where to start with this. I told my parents I would give my input regarding a bathroom remodel and I was told to deal with getting a new tub. What brands are good? Is there a way to insulate the motor noise so it is not annoying? What should I look for and try to avoid? I know absolutely nothing. Thanks
Old 10-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Can't help you out too much. I can say this though... we had jetted tub in our last house. We used it maybe 3 times in the 1.5 years we were there. When we built this home we decided against it and when we were looking at the other house, we were also against it. If we decided we want that feature, we'll put a jacuzzi out by the pool.

Unless you're going to use it frequently... don't get one. A lot of bacteria can form in and around the heads if you don't use it much... so keep that in mind when looking for a jetted tub. Also, they don't add that much to resale value b/c most people don't have the time to take baths daily... so factor that in as well.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
The newest ones shoot air out of the jets instead of water.

We have a large soaking tub in our MBR and we've never used it.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
We have one. Wife uses it. I've been in it once in two years.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
The newest ones shoot air out of the jets instead of water.

We have a large soaking tub in our MBR and we've never used it.
Cool. Good to know.

I still don't want one though . We have a large soaking tub sans jets and that has been used maybe 4-5 times further justifying our decision to not get the jets...
Old 10-27-2006, 01:50 PM
One on the right for me

We figure if we are tearing everything out anyway, might as well get a new one. Have an outdoor hot tub that its not filled at the moment. The tub would probably be used in lieu of getting the hot tub up and running again. Aren't too worried about resale value.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Wow. If you find a bathtub that can fit 4-6+ people in it like a hot tub.. hook me up with the link! Otherwise it's nothing like a hot tub. Plus, it's not really cool to throw parties in your parent's master bathroom.

If you're set on doing it regardless, I'd look into the new technology NSX mentioned that uses air instead of water from the jets...
Old 10-27-2006, 02:06 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by juniorbean
^ Wow. If you find a bathtub that can fit 4-6+ people in it like a hot tub.. hook me up with the link! Otherwise it's nothing like a hot tub. Plus, it's not really cool to throw parties in your parent's master bathroom.

If you're set on doing it regardless, I'd look into the new technology NSX mentioned that uses air instead of water from the jets...

OK, used for soaking individually instead of refilling the hot tub for individual use.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

LOL, just messing with ya.

But seriously, avoid tubs that shoot water from the jets and look for ones that shoot the air as mentined above.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
You really have to ask yourself if you will ever use it. There were a couple at some of the places we looked at and both me and the wife were initially interested and when we talked about it some more we both admitted we would hardly ever use them.

What I do like are the body jets for showers.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:03 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
You really have to ask yourself if you will ever use it. There were a couple at some of the places we looked at and both me and the wife were initially interested and when we talked about it some more we both admitted we would hardly ever use them.

What I do like are the body jets for showers.

It isn't for me, my parents pretty much have made up their mind that they want to get a tub with jets. From their perspective, they would probably use it, and if not, its still a regular tub. I know nothing about them but for some reason they figured my input would be beneficial.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok... I build houses for a living, so here goes:

Tub with jets aka "whirlpool tub"-- there are two kinds: standard water jets and "air tubs". The standard whirlpool sucks the water in and shoots it back out of several jets in the side of the tub. The air tub shoots out bubbles of air from the sides and sometimes bottom. The air tubs do self clean and are much more sanitary, however, they are usually much more expensive and also tend to cool the water more quickly than the standard jet whirlpool. Jacuzzi has been a name in the industry for a long time, but Kohler makes both types of tubs and they are fashionable and reasonable in price. I highly recommend Kohler. I don't like Pearl and that's a long story!

As for resale, they DO add to the resale of the home. Oddly, because not a lot of people actually use them!! Perhaps because they add a "classy" or rich look to a master suite.

I have had several kinds of whirlpools and I do use mine about once a month. Hubby has never, ever used the current one in the past year, but did use the two-person tub we used to have pretty often (when I was in it--go figure!)

Now--the cleaning part. The standard whirlpool gets dirty fast. The jets can shoot out yucky stuff and that's not good. I add a cleaner called "Whirlout" after I get out of the water and let it swirl around for a while. Then the tub has to be cleaned each time it's used. Pain in the butt and I would never build one into my own home. I have one only because I bought existing. I agree with whoever said "add jets to the shower." It's the latest craze in bathrooms and I think it's pretty much the end of whirlpool baths. About half of my customers take the whirlpool out of the homes I sell. Half of those who leave it in downgrade to a "soaking tub" which is a big tub that looks like a whirlpool, but no jets.

Sooooo...that's the long story on whirlpool tubs. I go through this stuff on a daily basis!! Good times.

Hope the 'rents have a good time remodeling and good luck to them!!!!