Need ceiling work suggestion

Old 07-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need ceiling work suggestion

This is a semi-basement room.
Room is about the size of 150% full size bed.
I dont want to see those pipes, want to cover them, don't care about that lamp -
please suggest how and what I need.
Thanks

Old 07-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

just lower the ceiling a little by drywalling the ceiling over the pipes
Old 07-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ferrari527
just lower the ceiling a little by drywalling the ceiling over the pipes
Not familiar with "drywalling" (sounds like a lot of work) - what do I need ?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

What's the room used for? How high is the ceiling? You could do some kind of crop ceiling maybe.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:03 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hehehe

Ugly solution = put up ceiling tiles. Can probably do it in a day, but your room will have that "Elementary School" feel.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:25 AM
ric
Safety Car

Most expensive: You can build soffits around the pipes by casing around them with thin studs and then sheathing over them with sheetrock or Gypsum WallBoard (gwb in the trade). That is the most time-consuming and requires a basic level of home handyman skills. You can hire a carpenter to do it. It will require framing, gypping, spackling, sanding, patching, finishing and then painting. This is the "drywalling" referenced in the previous post. The term drywall came as commercial gypsum products replaced plaster ("wet wall" construction).

Second most - sheathe down a bit with some studs tacked onto the existing cieling and sheathe the entire ceiling with gwb. Same as above, but the ceiling will be about four inches lower.

The Bunny rabbit solution - fir down with support strips and put in a lay-in ceiling. Stevens is right, it will look like an elementary school. hwoever, if you pay for upgraded tiles, you can get a much better "look" striving for the quality of a ceiling in an upscale law office, for example. The upgraded lay-in tiles are not cheap, and you can go all the way to ones that are covered in fabric. THOSE look great, add acoustic value, and would be apporpriate for a bedroom. But it is still a lay-in ceiling.

Most artsy - get canvas, and stretch it in carefully planned swags across the ceiling so that it imitates a tent. This will collect dust over time, has a certain 'visual" that you might or might not want, but will be relatively fast, given the need only for a ladder, a staple gun and some carpet tacks and yards of canvas.

Cheapest. Paint the ceiling something other than flat white. In fact, paint it a medium tone, perhaps a medium French Grey (warm grey with a hint of mauve) and paint the pipes out. part of the reason they are standing out is that they are white on white, and the shadows cast are very strong. This is a serious suggestion; while it will not make the pipes "go away" you might be surprised by how much impact that a cheap paint job will have.....A pale to medium grey ceiling will also make that space seem a heckofa lot larger.... and higher.

Funkiest: Paint them in strong contrasting colors and pretend you have a Mondrian on the ceiling. THis would have been favored in the early '70's...... and I don't recommend it.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Banned

It's gonna be guest bedroom

I want to make it a guest bedroom

Originally Posted by ric
The Bunny rabbit solution - fir down with support strips and put in a lay-in ceiling. Stevens is right, it will look like an elementary school. hwoever, if you pay for upgraded tiles, you can get a much better "look" striving for the quality of a ceiling in an upscale law office, for example. The upgraded lay-in tiles are not cheap, and you can go all the way to ones that are covered in fabric. THOSE look great, add acoustic value, and would be apporpriate for a bedroom. But it is still a lay-in ceiling.

lay-in ceiling - you mean like what this guy is doing ?

I hate it in a bed rorm
Old 07-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ric
Second most - sheathe down a bit with some studs tacked onto the existing cieling and sheathe the entire ceiling with gwb. Same as above, but the ceiling will be about four inches lower.
Think I will take this one -
what's "gwb" ?
please name a ready-to-go product or list of things I need from HomeDepot
If you can find online how-to that pertains to this job, i appreciate
Old 07-22-2005, 10:36 PM
Homeless

Sheetrock or drywall the ceiling...just as easy as hanging a suspended tile system...can be done in a small room for $75.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Find the wood beams in ceiling, add 2x4 lengthwise to it, nail in drywall over it. You have 4 inch lower ceilings but covers all the pipes.

Or the cheapest way... learn to live with it.