My parent's kitchen remodel (LOTS OF PICS)

Old 06-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Thanks everyone. It's come a long way. The floor does have hardibacker board. Approximately 20 sheets of it I believe. The floors outside the kitchen are hardwood and will have a new threshold installed to make the transition. Not sure one what threshold yet. The doors will be painted white as well as the window trip. They stick out in the pictures since they are still wood colored.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Now its time to tackle the bathrooms
Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
update?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Sorry. Its been a mess. The guy that was brought in to do the taping spoke to my folks about finishing up the job. I was under the impression my father checked him out as he came recommended for taping, not the complete renovation. Typically, my father is very thorough and won't just hire anybody. He didn't check him out in this instance.

He gave my parents a price, and said it would take him a week to finish. So after a few months of him showing up for a few hours a day, and producing some LOUSY work, he stopped showing up. Again, my father did something completely uncharacteristic of himself, and had paid him in full when the guy said he needed the rest of the money to finish. Excuse after excuse, they finally had enough. They told him they'd like to pick up the stuff he took home to work on (he took the drawers home to make drawer fronts). After they got the stuff back, they drafted up a letter to send him through certified mail. They plan to take him to small claims court to get half the money back. We'll see how that goes.

The guy was a complete moron. He painted all the cabinets and doors with a brush, and did not sand at all. They look horrible. I worked HARD on those doors to only have them looking like shit right now. He had a map I made on where each door went. They were all labeled before paint and would have been easy to place. He put some doors in the wrong place. Not only in the wrong place, but placed the wrong way. Three doors in particular, in which the doors were supposed to be placed horizontally (i.e. one of the doors is 11 1/2" h X 14" w, and was to be installed over the microwave. He mounted the handle and the european style hinges on the door as if it was a 14" h X 11 1/2" w setup. He even mounted one of the doors next to another in which it was clearly too big. I will post a few pics in a little while after I go through and find them. I will now have double the work to fix all his fuckups.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about the mess with the dumbass. It really does look good though, so don't get too annoyed. One thing I've learned with renovations is that the hardest and most frustrating part is the last little bit. You start to critique everything and loose sight of the dramatic transformation that has already taken place. You've done an amazing job.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cschneider
Sorry to hear about the mess with the dumbass. It really does look good though, so don't get too annoyed. One thing I've learned with renovations is that the hardest and most frustrating part is the last little bit. You start to critique everything and loose sight of the dramatic transformation that has already taken place. You've done an amazing job.

Thanks, but I am not talking about critiquing little things. It's quite substantial.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
After all you've done, that's horrible to hear. Hopefully you'll be able to correct the mess you now have.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by chill_dog
After all you've done, that's horrible to hear. Hopefully you'll be able to correct the mess you now have.
I hope so. It's quite disheartening
Old 07-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
Sorry. Its been a mess. The guy that was brought in to do the taping spoke to my folks about finishing up the job. I was under the impression my father checked him out as he came recommended for taping, not the complete renovation. Typically, my father is very thorough and won't just hire anybody. He didn't check him out in this instance.

He gave my parents a price, and said it would take him a week to finish. So after a few months of him showing up for a few hours a day, and producing some LOUSY work, he stopped showing up. Again, my father did something completely uncharacteristic of himself, and had paid him in full when the guy said he needed the rest of the money to finish. Excuse after excuse, they finally had enough. They told him they'd like to pick up the stuff he took home to work on (he took the drawers home to make drawer fronts). After they got the stuff back, they drafted up a letter to send him through certified mail. They plan to take him to small claims court to get half the money back. We'll see how that goes.

The guy was a complete moron. He painted all the cabinets and doors with a brush, and did not sand at all. They look horrible. I worked HARD on those doors to only have them looking like shit right now. He had a map I made on where each door went. They were all labeled before paint and would have been easy to place. He put some doors in the wrong place. Not only in the wrong place, but placed the wrong way. Three doors in particular, in which the doors were supposed to be placed horizontally (i.e. one of the doors is 11 1/2" h X 14" w, and was to be installed over the microwave. He mounted the handle and the european style hinges on the door as if it was a 14" h X 11 1/2" w setup. He even mounted one of the doors next to another in which it was clearly too big. I will post a few pics in a little while after I go through and find them. I will now have double the work to fix all his fuckups.

That sucks, especially after all the work you did. Were you to busy with your work to finish yourself?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
That sucks, especially after all the work you did. Were you to busy with your work to finish yourself?
Yeah. It got to be too much when business was picking up. Its real slow now so hopefully I can fix a lot of it with the time I have right now. The problem is it can turn around very quickly and get busy, so hopefully I will be able to get a lot done before that happens.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah. It got to be too much when business was picking up. Its real slow now so hopefully I can fix a lot of it with the time I have right now. The problem is it can turn around very quickly and get busy, so hopefully I will be able to get a lot done before that happens.
Well good luck! You've done great so far.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Suzuka Master

The door on the right is mounted slightly higher. Thats an easy fix, but the handle is installed higher then it is on the door to the left

The door to the right is the one that goes above the oven. This is one of the doors he turned and mounted in the wrong location. How stupid can he be?

This is where it is supposed to go

Another one of the doors he screwed up

Some of his painting "skills"

He mounted the doors with large gaps. It doesn't look as bad in the picture as it does in person.

More painting "skills"

This should have been sanded to a smooth finish. Clearly no sanding has been done

This door was mounted so cockeyed that it creates a huge gap on the top

He painted the wall without ever repairing this

Its hard to tell in this picture too, but the handle on the door is not level, it slants to the left from the top to the bottom. Also, the drawer on the top right slants down as well. He never even made the drawer front of the bread bin.

Another case of the handles being installed at different heights

Nitpicking perhaps, but this should have been corrected.

This thin drawer under the oven will not close. Not sure what he did here. I am GUESSING he replaced the front of the actual drawer, and then the drawer front, as it is the front of the actual drawer that catches on the lip

An example of how he cut the paint

The fridge remained in the kitchen through the process. When he taped the walls, he spray glued the metal corner pieces in place. He just held up the metal and sprayed them, throwing glue everywhere. This is some dried on the fridge

The jackass sprayed the inside of the cabinets, but not the outside or the doors. There was a slight leak yet to be fixed so the faucet was still attached. He didn't bother covering it with plastic before spraying inside the cabinets.

Sorry this one is so blurry. There used to be a spacer inbetween the dishwasher and the cabinet. He removed it and never replaced it. Now there is a big gap.

More paint issues

Here, he used to pieces across this span for the crown. He ran out of larger pieces, and didn't want to get get another piece. So there is a noticeable seam, that also steps down a bit. The whole piece slopes down towards the right also.

Well thats only some of the stuff I have noticed and taken pictures of. Some are lazy or incompetence issues, some are just plain moronic issues. Either way, it's a shit job that he did.
In other locations, he wrapped the toekick around the outside of the cabinets, but did not here. It looks very "off" without it there.

Last edited by 2001AudiS4; 07-19-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
For some reason I never imagined it would be that bad. I guess because I can't fathom doing a job like that, especially if I'm being paid for it. You have your work cut out for you, but given your skills, I'm sure you'll get it straightened out. What's sad is a lot of what he screwed up could've easily been avoided by doing simple things (like following your door map, measuring, etc.). Wow.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
that sucks dude. Hope you can get it all fixed.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I am speechless. I can not fathom how anyone could believe that is an acceptable quality of work.

Sorry to see that after all the hard work you had put into it. I am sure you will be able to look like it never happened but not without many more hours of work.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:28 AM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
wowzers! that's horrible. pisses me off that he would do such a shitty job even though its not my kitchen. i could understand taking the money and running, but now this just sucks. i'd want to strangle his ass. hopefully you can get more than the half he left with to repair his work.

are you going to strip the paint off the cabinets and repaint em if time allows? he ruined what could have been an amazing kitchen
Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,471 Likes on 3,065 Posts
OMG, you worked so hard, and did such impressive work. I cannot believe the crap job that he did. The handles, the paint, the doors mounted wrong, just f'ing terrible. I hope your parents can get some of their money back. I am in shock after seeing this, wow
Old 07-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks guys. Yes it sucks. I wish I was able to stop by and check on things more when he was there. Being that they live 30 miles away, it wasn't that easy when things got busy for me. I am surprised they didn't stop him and question the quality sooner. I'll update once we get some stuff fixed.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Suzuka Master

The door to the right is the one that goes above the oven. This is one of the doors he turned and mounted in the wrong location. How stupid can he be?
Just looked over my post and realized I goofed here. I meant the door to the left is the one that is supposed to go over the oven, not the door on the right.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,571 Posts
So any updates?