Miele v. Bosch Dishwasher

Old 07-21-2007, 12:23 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Miele v. Bosch Dishwasher

As the title suggests. Seems like most of the new dishwashers are very quiet these days. If you had to choose between Miele or Bosch, which one and why? I'm leaning towards Miele. I have their vacuum and it's the greatest thing ever.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
I would get this;
http://www.fisherpaykel.com/global/k...shing_home.cfm
Old 07-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Miele vacuum as well and it owns...
Old 07-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
I have heard, second hand, that Bosch is good but hard to get service on if you ever want it fixed.

I've never owned one so can't comment on if that's really true. BTW, I've also heard the same about LG.

I haven't heard anything about Miele.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
I have heard, second hand, that Bosch is good but hard to get service on if you ever want it fixed.
This is the kind of stuff Consumer Reports is best at assessing. IIRC, my old 2005 CR had survey w/bar graph indicating that the high end dishwashers (including Bosch models) are less reliable overall than the upper-end GE, Whirlpool, etc. stuff. I would want the one that is more common (easier to deal on prices and has more certified repair options).

Most of the new dishwashers are really quiet; I was looking at replacing our existing one (10+ years old) just due to high noise, but decided to leave it until a matching appliance broke.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:57 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^ - Thats why this one is getting replaced. The current one was made in 1974 and has been perfect (except for the noise). The heating unit broke so the water isn't staying hot enough (or however it works) and not all the soap is dissolving. It is too hard to find parts for the current one so I figure one of these nice new ones should do the trick.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:26 PM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have a bosch and we absolutely love it. Our kitchen is completely open and right behind the family room. The dishwasher is probably 12 feet from the couch, and I can't tell it's on when I'm sitting there.

Had it for a year, and called service once when we thought we had a problem. The guy came out, checked everything, no hassle, even when he found that nothing was wrong.

I don't have any experience with Miele though.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts
I have a Meile in my kitchen. It is very quiet. We chose it over the Bosch (also a very good DW) because we liked the top flatware tray feature. Both are great appliances and the decision is really about personal choice concerning the features. Both are very quiet and unless standing next to them you won't know that they are on.

You don't mention which models you are looking at but both have a range of models with varying features and prices. Are you looking for a fully integrated, partial or a standard front? The actual wash featues are pretty comparable between the two - at similar price levels, the real differences are in the dish placement and rack adjustments.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
damn those suckers are expensive! how about a decent dishwasher for around $500.00?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Pro

Yea, they are expensive. We bought the Meile LaPerla, the top of the line, and it was $2200. It is fully programmable in that you tell it what kind of detergent you are using - powder, liquid, 2-in-1 tabs, etc. - and it modifies the cleaning cycle and water temperature for the best cleaning. Mine also has a resevior for kosher salt as it monitors and adjusts the water hardness for each load. The screen will also show indicators when you are low on salt, low on rinse aid, or if the filter needs cleaning. And if you happen to move to another country you can change the screen display to different languages and once you enter the country all the wash cycles will be adjusted to reflect local requirements (water volume, temperature, etc.).

I was told that if you outfit your entire kitchen with Meile appliances the company will send someone to your house to show you how to work all of them.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:57 PM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by jiggaman
damn those suckers are expensive! how about a decent dishwasher for around $500.00?
lol, we got our Bosch for $400.

It was mostly luck though. We happened to be looking in the scratch and dent area, when a truck pulled up and off-loaded 50 Bosch dishwashers from a competing store they had acquired. They said they were selling all the other store's merchandise as scratch and dent inventory. so we got an $1100 dishwasher for $400.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:31 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by kcroberge
Yea, they are expensive. We bought the Meile LaPerla, the top of the line, and it was $2200. It is fully programmable in that you tell it what kind of detergent you are using - powder, liquid, 2-in-1 tabs, etc. - and it modifies the cleaning cycle and water temperature for the best cleaning. Mine also has a resevior for kosher salt as it monitors and adjusts the water hardness for each load. The screen will also show indicators when you are low on salt, low on rinse aid, or if the filter needs cleaning. And if you happen to move to another country you can change the screen display to different languages and once you enter the country all the wash cycles will be adjusted to reflect local requirements (water volume, temperature, etc.).

I was told that if you outfit your entire kitchen with Meile appliances the company will send someone to your house to show you how to work all of them.
If you move to another country, you are going to take your dishwasher with you??
Old 07-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Pro

If you move to another country, you are going to take your dishwasher with you??
For what I paid for it I just might. I don't see that happening any time soon though. Just thought that it was a bit over the top, but I guess it makes some business sense to have one model serve different markets.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Health's Angels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had a couple Maytags, and they were roughly as loud as the space shuttle launching.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr

I've never owned one so can't comment on if that's really true. BTW, I've also heard the same about LG.

Its true. We have a bosch oven and its been a pain to get fixed. We have had a few issues with it and now we have another. It has left a sour taste with me and will weigh very heavily when it comes time to purchase a new one
Old 07-25-2007, 12:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by GINge!
I have had a couple Maytags, and they were roughly as loud as the space shuttle launching.
I hate the maytag I have now....it's only a few years old...and it's the first appliance on my list to get rid of. It does a good job, but it's not quiet at all.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I work in an appliance repair, and Bosch's are very expensive to fix, so are Miele's (but they break down less often). I consulted with my boss, if you can afford it, get the Miele. Another alternative is Fischer and Paykel double drawer dishwasher. The best advise I can give you though is whatever you ultimately get, make sure to purchase a service contract because repairs will be expensive. The easiest contract company to deal with is GE, if you want I can give you their phone #
Old 09-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I have a bosch washer. The only issue in 4 years has been a finicky soap tray door. We paid $40 for a repair man to come out and tell us we needed a $160 part and $120 in labor to change it.

So, I called bosch directly (customer service number directly on unit), ordered a new door/tray assembly for $49 plus shipping, and installed myself after purchasing a $20 torx bit set (damn germans).

Marcus

PS, it gets my dishes spotless in a quiet fashion. Especially like the wine glass rack. And I am sure it was under $500.