Lawn Tractors...

Old 08-21-2005, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lawn Tractors...

Do you have a lawn Tractor? what do you recommend?

for dependability and price, seems like husquavarna is the choice, and now that the summer season is nearing it's end, hopefully i can try to catch a sweet deal and some nice discounts...

what tractor do you have? how much HP? how big is your lawn? can you add attachments to yours?

looking for some input....thanks
Old 08-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,083 Likes on 1,155 Posts
The lawn freaks here http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/tractor/ seem to think that Simplicity will give the best looking cut.

Old 08-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I own 2... A 1978 John Deere 316 (16hp w/ 46" deck and hydro tranny) garden tractor and a 1987 Sears Craftman (11hp w/ a 36" deck and 4 spd tranny) lawn tractor.

The Sears is the main mower right now, with the Deere needing some work before it's ready to go (points, plug, change hydrostatic fluid, etc). I bought the JD on a whim, saw it in the local wantad paper, and bought it as a future restoration project.

Just picked up a Yardman push mower today It's sucks, but the price was right (free).

I've got a 17,000 sq ft lot. I've got a Craftsman 42 inch high speed lawn sweeper attachment that I use to pick up leaves with in the fall, and grass clippings when the grass hasn't been cut for awhile. I don't have a bagger for either of 'em because I can't find one for the sears (too old), and a powerflow bagger for the JD is expensive (even used ones). The sweeper works good, and I used the grass and leaves in my compost bins.

If I can find a cheap dual angle 54" plow for my JD, I might buy one so I can plow my driveway. Tough finding one cheap tho', since they are very desirable. I've got 2 spools of hydraulics on the front of the JD for attachments, and a prior owned had a rear mounted tiller.

My tractor page is here: http://john-perry.com/tractor/

Husquavarna is made by AYP (American Yard Products). This is the same outfit that makes most of the Sears Craftsman tractors, so you can price shop between those two.

If I was going to buy a new tractor (and the thought has crossed my mind), I'd probably buy either something from the JD 100 series (108 or 111), or the Sears DYT series (18.5hp DYT4000).

Poke around the gardenweb forum that doopstr mentioned, I used to surf there , so I know there is some good info to be had there.

Oh, Garden Tractors can use ground engaging attachments (like for plowing a field) while the lawn tractors are for, you guessed it, mowing the lawn
Old 08-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Means17TL,

Great post I am in the same boat I have 1.5 acres and need a lawn tractor but totally new at this. I want one that will take care of the snow as well. What is a good reliable model for this type of job of cutting and taking care of snow? How often do they need maintenance what normally breaks down. If buying used what should I be looking for? If extended warranty avaible shoud I buy it? Is fixing it myself hard or easy for a novice?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Homeless

Spend the extra few bucks and get a zero-turn mower...eliminates the need to continually back-up and/or use a push-mower to clean up the lot. Makes for a quicker job, less ruts in the ground if the grass is wet, etc. My dad has 1 acre and the zero-turn takes him 1/2 the time of the MTD yard machine.

You can pick one up for $2K at Home Depot/Lowes. Or...a local Tractor Supply Center.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:48 PM
Suzuka Master

I hear that Cub Cadet and John Deere are pretty good.

Where's Water-S when we need him?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:12 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Weve got an old Craftsman, Its great, It pulls a trailor full of rocks and cuts a 2 Acre lot easily, its not new, but if you find one in good shape, definatley take a look at it, 12 horsepower 40 inch cutting, and auto tranny...very easy to use and powerful motor (pulls a 300 lb guy up a hill easily)...I recommend it...
Old 08-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Means and TLNY, some of the info you need to supply is how much land you have, what type of work you need it to do (TLNY has got those answered), and most importantly, what is your BUDGET... Oh, and if you have lots of steep hills, a locking differential might be important.

The JD 111 (20hp vtwin) is about $1800, and the Sears DYT4000 (18.5hp single) is $1400... Sears also has a 24hp vtwin for $1600. All of these are hydrostatic (automatic) transmissions.

If you're looking at stuff under $2000, the Cub Cadet and Husquavarna are a couple other brands to look at... Simplicity makes excellent machines, but you'll be spending over $2k to get one of those...

Most tractors suppliers can set you up with a snow plow/snow blower....

Even tho my JD garden tractor is capable of having a snow plow on it, I'm thinking it might be a better idea to save the wear and tear on the tractor and get a walkbehind snow blower instead. Having to put on snow chains and switching to a winter blend of motor oil would probably get lame real quick.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Racer

I want to spend around 1 grand. 1.5k if snow blower is included as long as it takes care of snow.

I like the idea of zero turn. Neighbor across the street uses a service to cut her lawn and they use a zero turn mower. Does not look like it takes care of snow. It seen it cut pretty quick.

I can I make a lawn look greener? What about if lawn looks brown because of lack of water?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by TLNY
I can I make a lawn look greener? What about if lawn looks brown because of lack of water?
99% of the time, grass looks brown from cutting it too short. In the hot months of summer...July/August...I always raise my blade a few notches. Keeps the grass green and healthy.

Of course, if it's July/August and you're in a drought...brown grass is unavoidable.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:22 PM

My lawn is pretty beat up...the lawn goes "CRUNCH, CRUNCH"!!! everytime you walk on it.
I've got an acre of land and I am currently using a push mower...the good thing about it is, it's a workout when i cut the lawn!

I have seen the Cub Cadet and the Husq...and others have recommended them. my neighbor just recently bought a Craftsmen and his lawn is much smaller (in the range of a half acre). He says it does the job, but he also doesn't have a long driveway.

At the moment also I have a push snow thrower, ariens model and it's pretty good, but if i am going to buy a lawn tractor, I might as well be able to add attachments to it so later on down the road, I can just purhcase the attachemnts when needed.

I have no steep hills on the premises. I have been shopping for one for most of the summer, and I am fairly certain that as the summer season down, proces will be more appealing.

thanks for all your help...i can certainly take all the information i can get, I am no genius when it comes to yard work...I don't have the patience for it.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

I think the only stuff that you will find for around $1k can only be found at HD, Lowes, Sears. 1k is about the entry level. Also for 1k they might not be strong enough to accept a snowblower attachment.

Depending on how much snow you get, you may be better off with a walk behind blower instead of a tractor w/snow blower.

Some dealers may have some interesting used tractors for that price. That's what I think I'm going to look into.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by doopstr
I think the only stuff that you will find for around $1k can only be found at HD, Lowes, Sears. 1k is about the entry level. Also for 1k they might not be strong enough to accept a snowblower attachment.

Depending on how much snow you get, you may be better off with a walk behind blower instead of a tractor w/snow blower.

Some dealers may have some interesting used tractors for that price. That's what I think I'm going to look into.
Agreed.

Another option: Just get a blade for snow...my neighbor uses that & it works great. ne hell of a lot cheaper than a blower attachment too.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TLNY
Green spray paint

I've given up on my lawn this year... it's brown due to lack of rain. The only people who have green lawns around here have automatic sprinkler systems...
Old 08-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Honda whore

A $1K tractor will last 2, maybe 3 seasons, TOPS. And no way will it be durable enough for snow removal.
I would recommend watching the papers and picking up a used John Deere. Estate sales and stuff are a great place to find them.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 2Dobes
A $1K tractor will last 2, maybe 3 seasons, TOPS. And no way will it be durable enough for snow removal.
I'll agree with you on the snow removal statement... You really need something that's not going to be overworked. Buying more tractor then you need is a very good idea if you wanna push snow (and that's why I have the JD garden tractor).

BUT I've got a 18 y/o sears tractor that I bought 4 years ago used for $100 and it's still going strong.

$1500 is probably a better price range for a tractor, but I've seen many people get years and years of use out of the bottom of the line sears lawn tractors ($900).

It's all about proper use and maintenance...
Old 08-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

How good are tractors at removing leaves? This fall I will have .5 acre of land that is going to get pounded with leaves.

Could a tractor mulch the leave up to nothing or would a rear bag attachment be needed? How fast would the bags fill up? Would the leaves be in good shape to dump in the street for pickup or would they be too chopped up?

Would this be a better solution than a hand held leaf blower?
Old 08-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

I use a lawn sweeper for the leaves, and I use the leaves in my compost bin. I chop 'em up after I'm done putting them in a pile in the back (I've got gator blades on the sears).

I raked the first year and said the heck with that. The sweeper works for me since I can't get a rear bagger for my old sears, and I'm using the leaves for composting. Since the sweeper isn't model specific, I can use it on other tractors to when I upgrade.

I really don't know about mulching, but have read that some guys on the garden web forum have mulched.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
go one of these suckers with the rear bagger and 2 stage snow blower
17hp 5 speed 42'' cutting deck
Old 09-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

Check out the TORO 520xi series

and also make sure what ever mower you get has a KHOLER engine.

DONT BUY CHEAP HOME DEPOT DEERES!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Homeless

My ex just bought a Craftsman 42" deck with a 15 HP motor for $899 at Sears. I'd say check it out for that price.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Does anyone know if the cheap John Deere or Cub Cadet lawn tractors sold at Home Depot or Lowe's are any good? Also what's the reliability like with these things? I'm asking on the behalf of my dad who has no mechanical ability and merely wants a reliable mower that he won't have to replace after 2-3 years.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Team Owner

I would go with the John Deere in that price range. All the other stuff in HD (Toro, Cub Cadet, etc) are outsourced products. The Deeres are really made by Deere.

Also, your dad should consider going to a real Deere dealer. Their prices are the same and since HD doesn't service their stuff you would end up needing the dealer for support anyway. You can probably get the Deere dealer to give free delivery too.

If you really want to get it at a home center, consider Lowes instead of HD. Lowes claims to offer at home service on the Deeres.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Do they still make Wheel Horse? (I think that is what it was called) Dad always used them - could not kill it...only reason he bought another new one was he wanted a bigger one - the original one was still running fine. great machine. But I have no idea if they are even still in business these days - or under new name.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Team Owner

This is as close as you are going to get to owing a new "real" Wheel Horse http://www.toro.com/home/tractors/classic300/index.html
Old 04-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Team Anthracite Member

What size lawn can you justify a riding mower? I am going to be moving from a .23 acre which I self propell mow to a .47 acre lot - still possible to push or do I have to ride? I don't mind the work, just don't want to be cutting for 2-3 hours? Is there a cutoff as to when a rider is a must have?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Team Owner

I have about the same size lot that you are moving into. I was considering a tractor but I think I'm going to end up with just a really good push mower. I need the exercise.

BTW, one of the dealers told me "You know, before these "cheap" tractors started appearing no one with .5 acre would consider a tractor. Everyone pushed".

So i think .5 is right around the point where you decide if you want one. Hopefully you won't wrestle with it as much as I did.

IMHO, if you have relatively flat lot with no obstacles, go for it. I have trees and my lot it not really level so I'm going with a good push mower. For .5 acre I don't think you need anything fancy. I think a good deal on a good running used anything would be ideal too.

Look in the paper for "moving/estate/yard" sales.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

I would go with the John Deere in that price range. All the other stuff in HD (Toro, Cub Cadet, etc) are outsourced products. The Deeres are really made by Deere.

Also, your dad should consider going to a real Deere dealer. Their prices are the same and since HD doesn't service their stuff you would end up needing the dealer for support anyway. You can probably get the Deere dealer to give free delivery too.
Yep, I agree w/ the local deere dealer... Most will deliver a mower for free while you have to haul a deere from HD or Lowes yourself. The local dealer might also be the ones that do the setup on the box store deeres too, and probably do the service on them. BUT if you buy from a box store, the dealer will put you on their list after all the clients that bought from them originally...

The 100 series deeres are fine for a homeowner... As long as you're not going to use it to do more then it's intended to or otherwise abuse it. The 100 series is a lawn tractor and NOT a garden tractor...

Oh, the 100 series is made by deere, but it's made in the Greenville, TN plant and NOT the Horicon , WI plant (where they make the "good" stuff")...

The deere 100 series is comparable to the other stuff out there in the price range (cub cadet, craftman, etc).

I actually liked the Sears craftsman DYT4000 better then the 100 series in the past, but sears has messed with their lineup (blame the accountants), so I like the deere 100 series better now...
Old 04-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

I've got about a .40 acre lot, and I got a riding mower... I bought a used one for $100, so it's alot different then buying a $1500 unit...

The 1/2 acre limit is the cutoff that most people talk about when the rider/push debate comes up... but I think anywhere from 1/3 an acre on up is ok too (anything to justify another toy)...
Old 04-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

I had approx. .5 acres of actual lawn at my old house (hilly terrain) and used a 22" push mower for that for 3.5 years.. It's just the right size to get a little exercise without killing yourself. I was always thinking of a riding mower.. but I couldn't justify the cost for the size lawn I had.

The new house has around 4x the amount of lawn, so I bit the bullet and got a JD this winter (A leftover from last year at HD for a little over 1/3 off regular price).. It's a good size for my lawn. I pushed this lawn with my 22" last summer and thought I was going to have a heart attack a fer times! I can't wait until the first mow of the season.

I'll get to experience the difference between pushing a 22" mower vs. riding on one with a 54" deck...
Old 04-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

If you really want to get it at a home center, consider Lowes instead of HD. Lowes claims to offer at home service on the Deeres.
Thanks for the advice doop. Do you know if the Cub Cadet's sold by the Cub Cadet dealer are also outsourced products?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Thanks for the advice doop. Do you know if the Cub Cadet's sold by the Cub Cadet dealer are also outsourced products?
Well the Cub dealers will probably have the same stuff that HD carries but also carry "the good stuff". I believe MTD makes the cheap stuff for them, I imagine Cub still makes the higher end stuff. I bet you could get a straight story from a real Cub dealer about who makes what.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Horny.

Get one w/ a Kohler engine.

or the Deere that comes w/ a Kawasaki engine.

Crap and Stratton egines are worthless.

<<<2003 JD 320 for sale.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TXXXX
Get one w/ a Kohler engine.

or the Deere that comes w/ a Kawasaki engine.

Crap and Stratton egines are worthless.

<<<2003 JD 320 for sale.
The cheap Deere's all have B&S V twin engines. The Cub Cadet's are all Kohler. Hmmm.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

As far as reliabiliity I bet all the engines are about the same in that. You are going to find people that hate Kohler too. You will find people that tell you that if an engine doesn't have some kind of special sleeve in the cylinder (iron?) it is crap. If you maintain the engine it will probably outlast the rest of the tractor.

These companies have all been making engines for many years. If they were no good any reasonable manufacturer would be unwilling to include the engine in their product. Also keep in mind that a 2cyl will run smoother than a 1cyl. But for average home owner use (ie. not doing crazy stuff like pulling out stumps) any engine will be fine.

How much are you willing to spend?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Horny.

As far as reliabiliity I bet all the engines are about the same in that. You are going to find people that hate Kohler too. You will find people that tell you that if an engine doesn't have some kind of special sleeve in the cylinder (iron?) it is crap. If you maintain the engine it will probably outlast the rest of the tractor.

These companies have all been making engines for many years. If they were no good any reasonable manufacturer would be unwilling to include the engine in their product. Also keep in mind that a 2cyl will run smoother than a 1cyl. But for average home owner use (ie. not doing crazy stuff like pulling out stumps) any engine will be fine.

How much are you willing to spend?

As engine goes in lawn tractors:

Kawasaki > Kohler > Crap and stratton.

Yanmar is also a good engine, but those are found on slightly bigger tractors.

And I bet some people will equate a Hyandai to a Honda w/ your line of reasoning then.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
The cheap Deere's all have B&S V twin engines. The Cub Cadet's are all Kohler. Hmmm.
The Deere I got at HD has a Kohler (25 hp) V-Twin, not B&S.

Last edited by Scribesoft; 04-07-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Senior Moderator

^^ that's cause you've got the G110, and not one of the L series... that kohler command is sweet

You've got to watch the motors in these things. Never know what they'll put in 'em...

BUT I've got a 19 y/o B&S 11hp (1987 craftsman) that still runs pretty good after all these years (and a 16hp kohler in the 1978 JD)... Both decent engines, if you take care of 'em...

http://john-perry.com/tractor/
Old 04-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

I love the Kohler in the G110, but I've never had any issues with Briggs.. I've always considered B & S one of the better small engines out there (except for snow blowers)... I'm a Tecumseh-man when it comes to snow blowers.

This thread is the first where I've heard so many negative comments about B & S..
Old 04-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
I love the Kohler in the G110, but I've never had any issues with Briggs.. I've always considered B & S one of the better small engines out there (except for snow blowers)... I'm a Tecumseh-man when it comes to snow blowers.

This thread is the first where I've heard so many negative comments about B & S..
Years ago my parents had problems with oil starvation / overheating when mowing on a steeply sloped yard. The motor burned out even though there was plenty of oil in the crankcase. With cheaper mowers all sorts of weird design defects or cost saving measures like that can come back to haunt you.

And even Consumer Reports doesn't carry reliability information on riding mowers so you have to rely on anecdotal evidence.

Quick Reply: Lawn Tractors...