Kohler toilet seat replacement

Old 09-03-2007, 03:14 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kohler toilet seat replacement

Hey all,

This is a little bit of a weird question, but can someone give me some insight on how to change a toilet seat on a Kohler one piece toilet, my specifically the Kohler Rialto? Normally the screws go all the way through the bowl and I see a nut, but the Kohler doesn't have anything going through. I checked in the tank, under the tank and everywhere else under the toilet itself.

I managed to turn the two screws holding the seat down about 90% of the way, but I just can't seem to get the seat and/or screws out of the toilet. Its pretty weird since the screw seems to drop back down whenever I am not pulling up on the screw with a wrench. The guy at home depot said that all I need to do was pull up on the screw with pliers and turn to catch a thread, but I must have done this about 100 times and have not got any further.

PLEASE help!
Old 09-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
The seat bolts go through and into the tank portion of the toilet. You can grab the bolt nuts in the tank (after it angles down-- place your hand in the tank below where the bolts would come through) and hold them while turning the bolts attaching the seat. The nuts are nylon "wing" nuts on my Kohler Rialto (I just checked).

Last edited by Will Y.; 09-03-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:56 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

No luck here.....I reached into the tank where I would have thought it would have come through and no bolts. The entire toilet is sealed one piece with nothing coming through into the tank or under that toilet.

Does your Rialto have the metal anchors where the screws go into? I just read some where that a special kohler kit is needed to remove the screws/toilet seat.
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/arch...hp/t-4065.html
Old 09-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by yuhoo22
No luck here.....I reached into the tank where I would have thought it would have come through and no bolts. The entire toilet is sealed one piece with nothing coming through into the tank or under that toilet.

Does your Rialto have the metal anchors where the screws go into? I just read some where that a special kohler kit is needed to remove the screws/toilet seat.
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/arch...hp/t-4065.html

My Rialto was cast in Feb. 1990 (acc. to date stamp in the tank)- the seat attachment bolts are not hidden at all inside the tank, but exposed and easily reachable. The bolts are nylon, with plastic/nylon circular nut/wing nuts inside the tank.

It sounds like Kohler changed the internal casting configuration on us if you can't feel the bolts on either side inside the tank, in which case Homer Simpson's applies, so that I can't help.

Maybe your screws are attached to a rod with a hook at the bottom that anchors to the underside of the tank surface? In that case, just keep turning while pulling up until the screws are real loose, then angle the screw/rod to pull it out of the top of the seat?? G/L!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:55 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Hey Wil,

yeah, i purchased this toilet in 2002 which happens to have the same casting as the current model. There are two metal anchors that are fixed into the toilet which are used to attach the seat.

Since the box was open at Home Depot, I looked at both the seat that came with the toilet and the toilet itself. The screws are normal screws that just drop in so I can't seem to figure out whats holding the screws there. The worse part is that i can't tighten the screws back down or remove them so I have a seat that wobbles all over the place now.

I guess I'm going to wait for Kohler to open today and give them a call.