I can answer any tile flooring questions you have

Old 11-21-2009, 08:48 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I can answer any tile flooring questions you have

I do Tile instalation, and full remodels. SO if any of you ever have any question, about what type of tile to buy, or grout color (sanded or unsanded)(and , and where its going) I will give all the advice I can on the subject. We also do full remodels, so if anyone has any gen ?s about that let me know. Ill try to get a pic of this SICK backsplash we did today for our granite supplier. Just shoot me a PM please. IF I dont aswer right away im prob not on my comp. been pulling 6 day weeks for the last 3 month or so..

Last edited by evilone; 11-21-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:44 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

I have got quite a few tile questions from this thread. Im just happy to help you guys (gals) out. There are tooo many half ass workers who charge way too much for their quality of work. Im going to take the pics of that back splash next week. I would have it by now, but my boss cut his hand on the chop saw a week ago from this last monday. SO that put us out of work till wend of this week.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
That's grout...Im floored...

Will you come to PA, I need new kitchen tile?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:17 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,366 Posts
I had the tiles in my kitchen extended into the family room, there are a few places the grout "settled" and now there is a small opening/hole in the grout. I ended up with a bag and a half of grout but have no clue how to mix it and don't think i need much to fill the hole, any suggestions?

There is a picture since I don't think my description is good.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 12:30 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
evilone - it's great that you are offering to help people out and give advice.

Just wondering if it would benefit more people to ask the questions in the thread, like e30cabrio did, so everyone can see what was asked and how it was answered?

And now my question:
What do you use where tile meets another material - like where shower tiles meet a tub or backsplash tile meets granite? Do you use grout or silcone/chaulking?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by e30cabrio
I had the tiles in my kitchen extended into the family room, there are a few places the grout "settled" and now there is a small opening/hole in the grout. I ended up with a bag and a half of grout but have no clue how to mix it and don't think i need much to fill the hole, any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat!! Have some grout coming up just like that. Do I need to remove all the groute (hopefully not), or can I just remove the loose stuff and patch the areas that need it?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by moeronn

Just wondering if it would benefit more people to ask the questions in the thread, like e30cabrio did, so everyone can see what was asked and how it was answered?

And now my question:
What do you use where tile meets another material - like where shower tiles meet a tub or backsplash tile meets granite? Do you use grout or silcone/chaulking?
Use silicone for those areas..
Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is a good find...when im ready to redo our bathroom ill let u know
Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is my convo with evilone...

Originally Posted by evilone
If you are redoing your bathroom floor, shower and shower walls, there are a few ways to go about this. If you are only having a shower, and not a tube, I would recommened you use 4"x4" tile on the floor. The grout joint is what gives you traction, not the tile itsself. IF you are then going to tile the wall in the shower area too, Take down all the old dry wall where the shower is going. Then go to LOWES or H.D and pick up the blue or gray drywall board (the color varies from where you buy it. That dry wall is pre sealed and used only for showers. As for thewall tile you can use 4x4 there too, or you can use a really nice big floor tile on the walls. (that is the new fad, and I love the way it looks) TO fig out the SQ FT just measure and multiply Length X width for your SQ ft. Make sure to pick up a little extra just incase down the road somethig happens and a tile breaks cracks etc, you will have some replacement tiles. Stay away from black grout as it stains EVERYTHING including the tile. for the Floor you want to use either Thin SET, or Multi Set. On the wall use Mastic. . As for tile try to go with a high grade porcoline tile from italy.( much higher grade of tile and less likley to chip while cutting it) Stay away from tile from South America. Most of it sucks and chips VERY easy.
IF you need and more questions answered just let me know..

P.s Try to find a place that sells C cure grout and multi/thin set. ( the company logo is C then a triangle on its side the the word CURE after the triangle.)
Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
Thanks for the help! I am going to look into doing this project around Christmas break since I'll have 7 days off from work. I am looking to do something similar to this...

Originally Posted by evilone
yeah that what was I tallking about, using the 18X18 floor tiles on the walls. It looks really good. If you are going for that same color combo I would sugesst a travertine tile and either antique white, or sand colored grout. (the Antique white isn't really white is a shade lighter than the sand color. here is a link to their grout colors.
http://www.thisoldgrout.com/ccure.htm
Old 12-16-2009, 06:30 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

Originally Posted by e30cabrio

Thanks
Well the grout shouldn't have "settled". The installer just rushed through the wipe up of the grout. You need to let it sit for 10-20min before you start to wipe off the excess grout. The best way to mix the grout is to take a bucket ( a small bucket will work fine since you are just doing spot repairs on the grout) I would suggest you take a little less then 1/4 of the bag and dump it into the bucket. Then slowly add water a sponge full at a time. You want the grout to kind of thin but not like soup. You should be able to mix it by hand, just doing spot repairs. you should be able to take a small amount out of the bucket and have it kind of stay in a clump but not chunky.( If you get wait I mean). There really isn't a proper ratio to use (ie x amount of grout with Y amount of water). The grout can differ from bag to bag.. some take more water some takes less, to come up with the proper consistency. You would need a grout float or anything. Just use your hand and rub the grout in the spots where the holes are. Wait 10- 15 min after you have set the grout and take a little bucket full of water and 2 sponges. Just LIGHTLY wipe away the excess grout until the joints look like the rest of the old ones. I say to use 2 sponges, because you will need to wipe it down 3 or 4 times to get all the extra grout out. ( take your time and gently rub the grout joint until its even with your old grout joint)

Hope that helps.. Oh also if your grout is turning different colors you can buy grout stain and re-stain the grout back to the OG color. I have found using little hobby brushes work best for this. Good luck

Ryan
Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

Originally Posted by moeronn

And now my question:
We either use /clear/white or caulk that matches your grout joints. most cases its white or clear silicone.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:35 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

Originally Posted by Whiskers
That's grout...Im floored...

Will you come to PA, I need new kitchen tile?
haha I would but that hella far for me to drive to do a tile job, unless were talking a full house tile job. I'm going to be up in NoVa (northern VA ) this summer to tile my boys garage in his new house. Its just going to be a PITA because Im going to have to drive up there, so I can bring all my tools with me.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

Originally Posted by dave_ramkumar
this is a good find...when im ready to redo our bathroom ill let u know
Well when you're ready just shoot me a PM or something cause I don't check here (this subforum) very often.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,366 Posts
Thanks, silly little things like this drive me crazy. I would have just lived with it had you not posted this thread. I'll fix it (after the holidays) and report my results.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

cool deal, Glad I could help!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I am thinking of redoing the tile in my bathroom. I have to estimate how much that would cost. I have the smaller tile in there now, it's probably 4"X4". I hate it because of all the grout lines.

I want bigger tiles because I want less grout lines. The other problem I am having is that that there is a depression in the floor tile before the drain. Water pools in this depression and doesn't go down the drain after the water is turned off. Can I just retile over the old tile to make a better drain?

Actually, scrap that. The tile would have nothing to grab ahold of with the thinset.

How time-consuming/costly of a job would it be to get rid of the old tile on the floors, walls and retile it? It's a stand-alone shower with no tub.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I am thinking of redoing the tile in my bathroom. I have to estimate how much that would cost. I have the smaller tile in there now, it's probably 4"X4". I hate it because of all the grout lines.

I want bigger tiles because I want less grout lines. The other problem I am having is that that there is a depression in the floor tile before the drain. Water pools in this depression and doesn't go down the drain after the water is turned off. Can I just retile over the old tile to make a better drain?

Actually, scrap that. The tile would have nothing to grab ahold of with the thinset.

How time-consuming/costly of a job would it be to get rid of the old tile on the floors, walls and retile it? It's a stand-alone shower with no tub.
Yes you can tile over old tile. All you have to do is, make the new tile slope towards the drain, and then you buy a drain extender from H.D or Lowes. The 4x4 tile are best to use for the shower floor because the grout joints are what give you traction, while the tile is wet. However, you can use larger tiles for the floor. Its all up to you, and what you feel best fits your personal style, and taste. When you thin set the floor of the shower, you just need to build up all the outer edges a tad bit higher than that of the area where the drain is. We use a 3ft lvl just to make sure you have a slight pitch on it.