Home Automation

Old 11-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Originally Posted by atomlinks
Thanks for the info! 20 x $5 sounds amazing to me. I might just order a few to start for the main locations and wait to see if they come down in price or see if I stumble across a good deal. I couldn't find the Iris V2 on Lowes but I see they have an Iris 1 for $14 or a 4pack for $63. There is another one for $23, but doesn't say V2. I'll have to do more research on the z-wave plus, didn't know about those.

I went to Target today to get the Google Home for $99, Went back and they had 4 sitting on the shelf so I grabbed one. Went to check out, total was $130 something.. I said it's supposed to be $99, they said that you have to order online and pick it up. So I just ordered right there from my phone and it was ready for pickup 10 min later. Funny thing is, they said they only had 1 in stock. Now if you go online to the target website for my local store it says none are avail. for pickup even though there are 3 on the shelf. My kids love the new toy :-) I'm really surprised on how loud it is and how good the sound quality is for such a small device.

For smart things, I found that you are able to access via a webpage https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ So you could log on from a PC and do the copy/paste thing into an excel spreadsheet or something, couldn't find an export option for the events.
I want an Echo or Home, can you play music on the Home with ok quality? I'm hearing the Echo makes for a better speaker and picks up from further distances so I've been waiting but my Hatchimal resale money is burning a hole in my PP account pocket (I'm a dick, yes, I'm extorting parents but....they are going for crazy money).

I'm afraid that clearance is long gone on Go Control The V2 sensors should be all that Lowes is carrying now, they are more rounded, as illustrated below.

Old

V2 box but you can see they are more oval

Last edited by 1StGenCL; 11-23-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:09 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Jefford - AtomLinks is correct, I could pull the last two hundred activities on my door lock via the link he posted but it's on online table if you will, not sure how it would export.

In other news, just put up some Xmas lights and of course controlled by ST ha
Old 11-23-2016, 08:42 PM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
I want an Echo or Home, can you play music on the Home with ok quality? I'm hearing the Echo makes for a better speaker and picks up from further distances so I've been waiting but my Hatchimal resale money is burning a hole in my PP account pocket (I'm a dick, yes, I'm extorting parents but....they are going for crazy money).

I'm afraid that clearance is long gone on Go Control The V2 sensors should be all that Lowes is carrying now, they are more rounded, as illustrated below.
The sound quality was a lot better than I expected on the Google Home and pandora. It really fills the room quite well and when cranked all the way up I didn't hear any distortion. Now it's not like a home audio system @ all, but for it's size I think it really performs quite well.

Those Hatchimals, my daughter got one for her 6th birthday. Grandma found one for $45 thankfully but the stupid thing didn't spin @ all. I called the company and they sent another one out(I did think about reselling the 2nd one) but wanted my daughter to have the "hatching" experience. Well the 2nd one came and it did the same thing, no spin. Funny that the company it is made by is "SpinMaster" Crazy that they are going for 2x/3x their original! That's awesome that you were able to pick some up and resell. Gotta sell @ a price people are willing to pay :-)

Thanks for the photos! the $23 one @ lowes looks exactly like your pictures, more rounded edges.
The following users liked this post:
1StGenCL (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 07:10 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

The sound quality was a lot better than I expected on the Google Home and pandora. It really fills the room quite well and when cranked all the way up I didn't hear any distortion. Now it's not like a home audio system @ all, but for it's size I think it really performs quite well.

Those Hatchimals, my daughter got one for her 6th birthday. Grandma found one for $45 thankfully but the stupid thing didn't spin @ all. I called the company and they sent another one out(I did think about reselling the 2nd one) but wanted my daughter to have the "hatching" experience. Well the 2nd one came and it did the same thing, no spin. Funny that the company it is made by is "SpinMaster" Crazy that they are going for 2x/3x their original! That's awesome that you were able to pick some up and resell. Gotta sell @ a price people are willing to pay :-)

Thanks for the photos! the $23 one @ lowes looks exactly like your pictures, more rounded edges.
Thanks for the review, debating on which I want. I use Prime music for the pool speakers via AP Express and the Android wall tablet simply because it's free so that makes me want the Echo but I like the features of Home better, just don't want to pay for Youtube music.

I'm getting to the point I feel bad, someone just paid $200 for one I spend $52 after tax on
Old 11-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Thanks for the info! 20 x $5 sounds amazing to me. I might just order a few to start for the main locations and wait to see if they come down in price or see if I stumble across a good deal. I couldn't find the Iris V2 on Lowes but I see they have an Iris 1 for $14 or a 4pack for $63. There is another one for $23, but doesn't say V2. I'll have to do more research on the z-wave plus, didn't know about those.

I went to Target today to get the Google Home for $99, Went back and they had 4 sitting on the shelf so I grabbed one. Went to check out, total was $130 something.. I said it's supposed to be $99, they said that you have to order online and pick it up. So I just ordered right there from my phone and it was ready for pickup 10 min later. Funny thing is, they said they only had 1 in stock. Now if you go online to the target website for my local store it says none are avail. for pickup even though there are 3 on the shelf. My kids love the new toy :-) I'm really surprised on how loud it is and how good the sound quality is for such a small device.

For smart things, I found that you are able to access via a webpage https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ So you could log on from a PC and do the copy/paste thing into an excel spreadsheet or something, couldn't find an export option for the events.
Jefford - AtomLinks is correct, I could pull the last two hundred activities on my door lock via the link he posted but it's on online table if you will, not sure how it would export.

In other news, just put up some Xmas lights and of course controlled by ST ha

Thanks Gents! I suppose I could simply screen capture the page monthly...
Old 11-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
Anyone wanting to get into Google Home might want to jump on this offer...I just bought a second one for my house and thinking about just getting a third while I'm at it.

[Deal Alert] Google Home on sale for $74.25 via Best Buy when you pay with Visa Checkout
Old 11-28-2016, 11:11 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,664 Likes on 2,495 Posts
Well I went all in on the Google Home for my home automation voice control on black friday. I have 4 of them now in total throughout the house. One is mostly going to be used as only a voice controlled speakers though as it is going in the bathroom. Hopefully it will stand up to the changing conditions and humidity in a bathroom. Others are in the bedroom, kitchen, and living room. Picked up a few dimmers and fan controllers as well but didn't go crazy with that as they were not on sale. Rather dissapointed really that I can't really find any ge z-wave switches on sale.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,585 Likes on 6,631 Posts
I've always wanted speakers in bathroom but concerned about the humidity too
Old 11-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Well I went all in on the Google Home for my home automation voice control on black friday. I have 4 of them now in total throughout the house. One is mostly going to be used as only a voice controlled speakers though as it is going in the bathroom. Hopefully it will stand up to the changing conditions and humidity in a bathroom. Others are in the bedroom, kitchen, and living room. Picked up a few dimmers and fan controllers as well but didn't go crazy with that as they were not on sale. Rather dissapointed really that I can't really find any ge z-wave switches on sale.
Any particular reason you went with Google Home over the Echo? I'm torn between the two for my new home.

I am getting the Nest and Ring Pro for sure though. For lights I think I am going to go with Lutron.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Im having fun with Alexa. She now turns on my TV and Christmas Tree.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Im having fun with Alexa. She now turns me on

Whiskers (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Ex-OEM King

For the Z Wave switches/other stuff, you need a controller like Smart Things right?
Old 11-28-2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by akplaya92
Any particular reason you went with Google Home over the Echo? I'm torn between the two for my new home.

I am getting the Nest and Ring Pro for sure though. For lights I think I am going to go with Lutron.
A few reasons but they are more opinion reasons than anything. I think the speaker for audio sounds better in the few instances I will be using them as the sole speaker in certain rooms. The style of the devices looks wise flows better in the house to me. I also have a lot of chromecast and chromecast audio devices in my house that I play music to with google play music so I guess I am just invested so much in the Google ecosystem it just seemed easier really. The price is also better too unless you are counting the Echo Dot.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:58 PM
Go Giants

yep
Old 11-28-2016, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
For the Z Wave switches/other stuff, you need a controller like Smart Things right?
Yes for Zwave or Zigbee things you need a controller like SmartThings.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Im having fun with Alexa. She now turns on my TV and Christmas Tree.
Will she hide your new Mac purchases from the wifey?
Old 11-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Will she hide your new Mac purchases from the wifey?
if she knows whats good for her
Old 11-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Did you sell your old laptops yet Whisker?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:48 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Did you sell your old laptops yet Whisker?
Yep.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
good job, cccolts!
interested to see what else comes out of this thread, as I think we're all interested in home automation to some degree
Really? When I talked about it a while back everyone said it was pointless and a waste of money.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
z-wave is a bit buggy. It CAN be stable but usually takes a long road to get there of ups and downs. I would recommend Lutron. Now that they released Caseta, it is a bit more affordable for standard houses. They do have Amazon Echo integration so you can integrate the Echo for voice control. Overall, your lighting system will be a LOT more reliable than Zwave.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
Have you done Caseta? Do they have C-L models? Will they integrate with a Maestro slave if you only wanted to change out the masters?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:11 AM

Well got my first two zwave fan controllers and dimmers setup last night. They seem to be working well so far with no issues. Really would like to get my kitchen lights done next but they are on a wall plate with multiple lights and I am switching from switches to decorator style switches while doing this and hate having miss matches. Going to be expensive to swap the entire house over to that style even with all not being smart switches.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:54 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

You could grab one of the micro controllers that goes behind the switch and not change them

Amazon link, not cheap but an option
atomlinks (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Racer

Hey Google, turn on the christmas tree.. That is set up and working well so far, although the kids are over-using it. I didn't know about those micro controllers, good to know you can buy those and use them behind some fancy switches if you wanted or just keep them all looking the same. I'm in the same spot, I want to replace a bunch of switches but not sure that I want to go all in at once before trying some out. I've seen the GE z-wave switches for like $35-$40 and it looks like as long as you have one in the same box you can add additional $20 add on switches for that same box? If I have a 3 gang outlet box can I just buy 1 GE inwall switch and 2 add on switches?
Old 12-02-2016, 06:05 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Some of the micro controllers aren't that "micro" so be sure to check on that. I have one that said it would fit in a box but there is no way it would fit in a standard box but it can control two switches for like $40 so....

I have a dimmer with an add on and it acts as a slave, meaning it doesn't have a Z wave controller in it and just feeds off the other one. This is a three way switch and I believe that is the only way the add on's work but I could be wrong.

Hey Google, turn on the christmas tree.. That is set up and working well so far, although the kids are over-using it. I didn't know about those micro controllers, good to know you can buy those and use them behind some fancy switches if you wanted or just keep them all looking the same. I'm in the same spot, I want to replace a bunch of switches but not sure that I want to go all in at once before trying some out. I've seen the GE z-wave switches for like $35-$40 and it looks like as long as you have one in the same box you can add additional $20 add on switches for that same box? If I have a 3 gang outlet box can I just buy 1 GE inwall switch and 2 add on switches?
atomlinks (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 07:04 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I love this thread!
i wish i knew what the fuck y'all were talking about...
but I dig home automation!
97BlackAckCL (12-07-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 03:51 PM
Racer

Some of the micro controllers aren't that "micro" so be sure to check on that. I have one that said it would fit in a box but there is no way it would fit in a standard box but it can control two switches for like $40 so....
Thx for the info! That's not a bad deal @ all if I can find one that fits. The boxes that I've looked @ in the house look pretty deep. Kind of annoyed that the that the builder back stabbed everything, even electrical outlets but that's another story.

It sounds like the load won't be running through the switch. A couple I have seen use 18 gauge wire on the switch itself. So the micro-controller just keeps track if the circuit is open or closed which is pretty cool.

Last edited by atomlinks; 12-02-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Yale Real Living handle lock with ZWave ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...lock_with.html ) and SmartThings hub are on their way...

Dumb of me not to get the Hub when it was $50, but I bought the lock through B$H and they had it for about $50 less than Amazon for some reason, so it worked out in the end.

Having a locksmith install the lock late next week after it arrives.

I hate keys...

Also ordered a basic IP camera (DLink 932L) that I have read online people have integrated in terms of activating the motion detection for recording. I may use an old cell phone near the office door to be bale to arm and disarm the motion activation for when I leave the office and return. That way it won't be recording me moving around the office, but will record whenever I am not there (and the first time I return, unless I can enable some kind of geo-fencing with my cell phone to disable it)
Old 12-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Nice Jefford but you don't need a locksmith, 30-45 minutes and you've got it, hit me up if you need help!
Old 12-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Nice Jefford but you don't need a locksmith, 30-45 minutes and you've got it, hit me up if you need help!
Thanks bud! It's on a door in an office that I am renting, so I really am paying to be able to blame someone else if the door/install gets effed up! At home I would do in in a heartbeat, but I want some removed culpability!
1StGenCL (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Racer

Interested in hearing about how the DLink camera works with SmartThings. I saw a few of them in the SmartThings Labs but the only ones listed are 2132L,2130L,2330L, 5029L,5222L and I'm wondering if any other cameras work. I have a couple nest outdoor cams and an indoor one, but would like to use a few inexpensive ones in other places.

Another thing I hooked up recently was my Logitech Harmony Hub in the basement, works well with SmartThings. I can now tell Google Home to turn on/off the TV and it runs a Harmony activity to turn on the TV, receiver etc. which is nice. Can also set it up to start netflix, hulu etc but specific channels don't work. Ended up ordering another Logitech Harmony Hub for upstairs and a couple chromecasts for $25. Hopefully we'll see more stuff from Google Home in the near future without having to use IFTTT. Just not sure how I feel about that service yet.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Ex-OEM King

^ I did the same thing with the Harmony hub and linked with IFTTT, the hub works with smart things too? It's a good service but they really need to implement the one "this" and multiple "thats" in order to really make it better.

Also, the developer kit for G-Assistant went out last week so we should be seeing a LOT more stuff in the very near future.

Edit: They just announced netflix and photos integration for G-Home.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:39 AM
Racer

Ya it works with smartthings. In the mobile app, go to Marketplace SmartthingsLabs Logitech Harmony Home Hub (same place I found the D-link camera models).

Glad to hear about the Google home assistant API release a few days ago. Will be nice to see what devs can come up with :-)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Ex-OEM King

Alright, I'm going to have to pony up for a smart things hub here soon...

I've been going for Wemo switches but maybe this is a better option for overall integration.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Racer

In that same area(Labs) in the app I saw Belkin WeMo LightSwitch, WeMo Motion and WeMo Switch. All of these are in the Labs and although not officially supported, they are listed specifically in the app so I'm guessing they'll work fine.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:11 PM

I am very excited to see what starts coming out since the release of that. I hope we see a lot more brands being added in the next 6 months.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Alright, I'm going to have to pony up for a smart things hub here soon...

I've been going for Wemo switches but maybe this is a better option for overall integration.
I gotta say I love how easily it integrates with everything. I have had some issues with how I name lights but that has been the only issue. Other than that it works great with Google Home.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Smartthings hub connected, lock being installed as I type...
Old 12-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Ex-OEM King

Looks like Wemo integration with G-Home is coming in the next few weeks. I'm excited!

Quick Reply: Home Automation