Carpet prices/resale ideas to get more $$........

Old 02-13-2006, 09:49 PM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Carpet prices/resale ideas to get more $$........

I want to do the carpet in our house, what is the price I should pay for new carpet in my house, the hous is only 1097 SQ/FT and the kitchen is about 22ft long and 6 feet wide and the bathrooms are about on average 7ft by 7 ft large the rest of the house is carpet, just wanted to raise the value of the house and the old stuff is a little ratty

I am getting almost 5g's back for tazes and the wife would like to redo it so I cant complain.

BTW what is the best overall turnover money wise when you resell a house? I have had a full remodel on one bathroom, all new tiles, shower, vanity, mirror, and lights, the front is a partial, new paint on the vanity, new paint on the walls and some crown molding, and all new hardware, any other ideas to get more money for hte house?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
as far as how much you should pay, it depends on the type of carpet man. If you want some low pile type of stuff, you should be able to do it for about 1k. But if you want a higher pile carpet, it's gonna cost a bit more. I prefer hardwood floors with an area rug. Cleans up easy, no staining, and if you get sick of the area rug, just change it.

hardwood floors sell a home nicely. More durable than carpet IMO.

Details sell a home. If you have redone mostly everything, thats a damn good start. Making sure there is up to date appliances, lighting etc... makes an easier sell. Crown molding (which you have done already) is a nice way to make your rooms look more detailed.

Check everything. Does the roof need to be redone, hows the landscaping, good neighborhood, etc... Also, how are the schools in the area, what business is in the area, and access to major highways are all factors.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Biggest return on investment is redoing the kitchen and bathrooms.

I would think with carpet it's more important that something be there that's clean and neutral. I doubt there's a huge return on investment on carpet. I would consider it an assumed when I bought a house.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If your looking to get out of the house soon, then replace the carpet right before you sell so it can be new. Go neutral with a medium pile.

If your going to stay in the house for over 5 years, get hardwoods.

My current house has carpet and I HATE IT! But I will only be here for 3 to 5 years. I will replace it right before I sell and my next house will have hardwoods in all of the living areas, tile in bathrooms and kitchen, and carpet in the bedrooms.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Biggest return on investment is redoing the kitchen and bathrooms.

I would think with carpet it's more important that something be there that's clean and neutral. I doubt there's a huge return on investment on carpet. I would consider it an assumed when I bought a house.
This is true. Carpet will really get you nothing as far as resale. If you're carpet is nasty, then yes, replacing it will make the house show better, but you won't really be getting a lot more money out of it.

When we were selling our place in NY we were finishing the basement. We were already in contract before the basement was done, but the buyer knew we were just doing standard stuff. We went to Home Depot and bought one of the cheapest burber carpets we could find. Ended up doing the whole basement (700 square feet) plus the stairs (about 10 steps plus a landing) for like $1200 installed. It may have even been less... I'm not sure off-hand. The best part was that the buyer and our real-estate agents LOVED it... not realizing it was some of the cheapest stuff HD sells.

So if you get a nice carpet that looks good... you're all set. As bad as this sounds... you really don't need to go crazy with the nice stuff b/c once you sell... it's not your house anymore. Just get something neutral that looks and feels nice and you'll be golden. The buyers can always replace it down the line if they feel they need to.