To the Cali people.. July electric bill?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:36 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by timmahh
Thermostats are set to 80 from 6 AM until 4:30 PM when they change to 77; at night downstairs is off and upstairs gets dropped to 72 - 73; if it's cool enough at night they're both off and I put a fan in the window

Had the system checked - everything looks ok but it's just not able to cool down a house that size w/ the amount of sun exposure we get. One thing I will try is changing my filters - I use Filtrete 1800s and apparently most pro HVAC guys hate them because of their air flow resistance, creates pressure issues that can cause equipment failure and efficiency issues so i'll be going the recommended mid-grade filter route
That's insane, something is wrong.
I'm 150 miles south of Sacramento in the valley w/PG&E. My house is 2000SF, 50+ years old, ranch, DP windows, new insulation, HVAC is 15+ years old. I have a large clean, old in-ground pool. My bill dated 7/14 was $285.00 which I hate. More bad news, August is usually higher and September higher still.

PG&E will conduct a free energy audit for you. We had our smart meter installed a few months ago. I keep the house around 78 degrees 24/7.
Do you have a lot of high ceilings? We had insulation done about 2 years ago and it helped lower the bill~$50 month. Plant some fast growing trees. If you sign up for an online acount you can monitor your usage and bill and have a recorded history.

California got screwed by Enron(sp?) badly. They were playing with our supply to get the rates up. Gray Davis signed contracts giving us some of the highest rates in the nation to guarantee steady supply. That was the one of the main reasons he was recalled and replaced with Arnold. Enron was found guilty but Bush hated California and didn't help correct things. This was after CPUC regulated how much PG&E and So Cal Edison could charge for energy but not how much they payed! People with SMUD and without our 100+ temperatures have no clue what we go through. The high rates suck but so did the brownouts. Welcome to HELL!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
With gas w/h and heating...the electric bill is even more ridiculous!
Yeah, compacted insulation definitely reduces the R factor by quite a bit...you can even take it and kind of fluff it back up.

About radiant barrier...although it is supposed to be good to keep the heat out, i never noticed it do much in terms of actually lowering attic temp...if anything it kind of traps the hot air in the attic. the BEST alternative is that new foam spray they spray under the roof between trusses. In Fla they will only do it on new construction but the attic only gets to about 5 degrees warmer than the living space so the ac doesn't come on much.

You're gonna love the new meters. They'll go as far as give you a breakdown of usage by hour at almost real time....and if PG&E opted for it it'll give you the display of instant kw demand. Which is pretty amazing. Aside from that there may be some built in disconnect/connect switches and the ability to work in conjunction with smart appliances...you'll be able to use a mobile device (iphone etc) to control your ac temperature/lighting/etc through your meter.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:17 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,328 Posts
I have been thinking about this and I really think the dual pane windows in my house make a huge difference (in conjunction with solar screens keeping the uv out)
Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
About radiant barrier...although it is supposed to be good to keep the heat out, i never noticed it do much in terms of actually lowering attic temp...if anything it kind of traps the hot air in the attic. the BEST alternative is that new foam spray they spray under the roof between trusses. In Fla they will only do it on new construction but the attic only gets to about 5 degrees warmer than the living space so the ac doesn't come on much.
I'm thinking that a radiant barrier plus attic fan would be a great combination to keep the attic cool. Plus, with solar powered attic fans, they wouldn't cost anything to run! It's something I may look in to.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$222.75 this month. And I live in Kansas! We're in the 90's july and august breaking 100 some days.

House is 2700 sq/ft + I cool the 1200 sq/ft basement. So almost 4000 sq/ft total.

House is at 75 all day long; static programming.

House color is yellow
38 windows!, double pane wood windows /w storm windows
16 seer, heat-pump; 4ton
Old 07-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With gas w/h and heating...the electric bill is even more ridiculous!
Yeah, compacted insulation definitely reduces the R factor by quite a bit...you can even take it and kind of fluff it back up.

You're gonna love the new meters. They'll go as far as give you a breakdown of usage by hour at almost real time....and if PG&E opted for it it'll give you the display of instant kw demand. Which is pretty amazing. Aside from that there may be some built in disconnect/connect switches and the ability to work in conjunction with smart appliances...you'll be able to use a mobile device (iphone etc) to control your ac temperature/lighting/etc through your meter.
Install solar powered attic fans... it'll drop your attic temps dramatically...

Google "solar attic fan"; Costco had some on sale this year for around $200 a fan. Be sure to get a model that automatically shuts off in the winter if you live somewhere you need heat. Although some models are winter smart and will exhaust occasionally to help combat moisture in the attic.

Last edited by SiGGy; 07-29-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:26 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what i've read it will help prevent the heat that the roof tiles generate from baking all day from entering the attic which in theory will lower the overall temp, I don't see how blocking the radiant heat would affect the air flow (?). It should help w/ my cooling because my duct work is in the attic - and actually quite a bit of it is nailed to the rafters and in some places touching the roof plywood

we'll see! *fingers crossed*