apartment advice

Old 07-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you don't feel safe, then you should move...

but, don't landlords have an obligation to fix appliances/etc..(the floor warping, the roach problem) that were included in the lease or whatever? here, say if your dishwasher even breaks in your apartment, and they don't fix it, you can legally make them lower the rent for the loss of that appliance/whatever...
Old 07-27-2006, 12:32 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Originally Posted by ZtotallynakedZ
-I don't know if this is necessarly a con, but im one of the few white people that live here, and its weird.
Pack your bags, I'm not white, but if they are not there the black people would start picking on the asians.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I can live with a lot of crap, but it really sounds like you're better off getting a new place. The pet will be a problem. But my sister was able to find one of those garden style apartment complexes that allowed pets and it wan't too expensive. What are you looking to spend per month?

Morning sickness is called that for a reason!
Trust me women don't just get morning sickness in the morning. It can happen at any time.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Andrea25
if you don't feel safe, then you should move...

but, don't landlords have an obligation to fix appliances/etc..(the floor warping, the roach problem) that were included in the lease or whatever? here, say if your dishwasher even breaks in your apartment, and they don't fix it, you can legally make them lower the rent for the loss of that appliance/whatever...

they do have an obligation to fix things, call the exterminator, etc. Things got so bad with termites that i had to call the health department to finally do something about it. Right now, I pay $1150+electric for a 2 bedroom. I split it with my boyfriend, so i would like to keep it in that area. There are plenty of places down here that are around that area, I want the 2 bedrooms, and many accept pets. One place wont have a 2 bedroom until September 15. One place said they accept pets, but I called and they only take cats . I have about another 15 places to call and I havent tried a relator or anything yet.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well.. If you are to come up north. Try to avoid KEANSBURG.

Good Luck.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
renting an apartment was never an option for me.

back in the day when i only had 2 cats and one doberman, that one doberman kept me from any apartment. if i could find one that would take a large dog, they would automatically say no before i could finish the word doberman.

so i rent a house.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Drifting

I would rent a house if i could find one. I know about a couple of places, none that i could move into right away. I found a great place, but its a 30 minute commute to school. But it has a garage. Im debating about it right now
Old 07-31-2006, 01:14 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Titand19
Pack your bags, I'm not white, but if they are not there the black people would start picking on the asians.
Nice of everyone else to ignore your racist comment.

She didn't mention a particular race, why would you? I have lived places where whoever the majority race is picks on whoever the minority is. This includes asians when they are the majority.

Get educated and learn to keep your ignorant thoughts to yourself.

To the thread starter, how about looking for a small two or three family residence if they exist there?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:41 AM
Drifting

They do, either the rent is astronomical or its cheap, but scary. I haven't worked with a realtor yet, which I think im going to have to. My boyfriend's mom is moving, and we really need a garage for his M3 and the bikes at my house. I've found a couple of apartments, but no garage, and they aren't available until early September
Old 07-31-2006, 10:44 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
They do, either the rent is astronomical or its cheap, but scary. I haven't worked with a realtor yet, which I think im going to have to. My boyfriend's mom is moving, and we really need a garage for his M3 and the bikes at my house. I've found a couple of apartments, but no garage, and they aren't available until early September
Hard to make the timing work out for moving dates. If you find one you really want it will be decision time. Either pay something approaching double rent one month , or being homeless for a minute , or cramming your stuff into storage and sleeping on someones floor . Try to get it done before new semester or quarter starts. My wife also suggested that you may not want a ground floor apartment if you spend much time alone FWIW.