apartment advice

Old 07-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apartment advice

Knowing that there are many on here that rent a house or apartment, I need some advice. Im considering moving, i've been in this place almost a year. My dad says try to find another place, while my mom says all apartments are like this and deal until you buy a house. Im confused as what to do.
PROS:
-cheap rent
-don't care about pets
-nice place to walk dog
-big apartment (2 bedrooms)

CONS:
-only one parking spot, everything else is street
-maintence/mangement sucks (had huge termite/cockroach problem, A/C problem, heat (temp in apartment was 108 one night in the winter), and the floors are warping and seperating)
-had someone peering in my bathroom window at 2:15am today when i was about to throw up
-I don't know if this is necessarly a con, but im one of the few white people that live here, and its weird.

Is it really worth moving? Or are these problems that everyone deals with when they rent an apartment or house?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ZtotallynakedZ
Knowing that there are many on here that rent a house or apartment, I need some advice. Im considering moving, i've been in this place almost a year. My dad says try to find another place, while my mom says all apartments are like this and deal until you buy a house. Im confused as what to do.
PROS:
-cheap rent
-don't care about pets
-nice place to walk dog

CONS:
-maintence/mangement sucks (had huge termite/cockroach problem, A/C problem, heat (temp in apartment was 108 one night in the winter), and the floors are warping and seperating)
-had someone peering in my bathroom window at 2:15am today when i was about to throw up
-I don't know if this is necessarly a con, but im one of the few white people that live here, and its weird.

Is it really worth moving? Or are these problems that everyone deals with when they rent an apartment or house?
All the cons relate to one thing you already pointed out....CHEAP RENT!!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:33 PM
I keeps it real

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PROS:
-cheap rent
-don't care about pets
-nice place to walk dog

CONS:

I'm the only black person everywhere I've lived. Never caused me to want to move anywhere. The other problems are common with rentals. Although a new place will not have those specific issues, another string of them will usually appear.

I'd evaluate the pro's and determine if they are enough to qualify a desireable living situation.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Once more into the breach

Thats sounds like a terrible apt.. I have lived in MANY apts., and never had anything like that. Unless the rent is really unbeatable, I would hit the bricks ASAP.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
move!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Drifting

Im not racist in any way, but out of almost 70 bulidings in this complex, white is the minority. Its really been a headache, but i wasn't sure if it was the norm for apartments. Its a huge plus to me that they don't care about the number of pets, etc., that i have, and I have a nice run and paths to walk the pups on. The whole thing last night freaked me out.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:47 PM
I keeps it real

Im not racist in any way, but out of almost 70 bulidings in this complex, white is the minority.

Its really been a headache, but i wasn't sure if it was the norm for apartments. Its a huge plus to me that they don't care about the number of pets, etc., that i have, and I have a nice run and paths to walk the pups on. The whole thing last night freaked me out.
I missed that in the first post. Sorry, a lot on my mind right now. Yeah, if you feel unsafe, that on its own is a reason to leave. If you need a place, the hot girl across the street is looking for a roommate. AZ is a great place to live. Lotsa white folks too.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:00 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Whites aren't the majority? 'Nuff said, pack your bags!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Drifting

I really do like it here sometimes, and its a good location. But its a little scary to have some dude staring in your window at 2am. I've been investigating, does anyone know any other apartment listings besides apartments.com and apartmentsforrent.com? I also did classifieds and have found some promising things
Old 07-26-2006, 07:46 PM
checkmate...

No girls try to peep thru my windows.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
time to pack your stuff and start looking for a new place, i don't think i'd be able to handle someone peaking in my windows

where at in jersey? you should be able find some potential if you travel a little bit
Old 07-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,234 Likes on 823 Posts
This may be the deal breaker...
Old 07-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Move.

why were you throwing up?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Once more into the breach

Originally Posted by zeroday
why were you throwing up?

Old 07-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Drifting

I was about to lol. I had horrible stomach cramps, I guess the chicken wrap i had for dinner didn't agree with me. Im down at the shore, Eatontown, Red Bank, Long Branch area. Im looking right now, but I have to be able to have my animals with me. I would never get rid of them and they are fine with them being here. Im just not really happy about someone peeking in my windows. Its kinda scary actually, thank god my boyfriend lives with me now. Now that I think about it, this apartment really does suck. The only good thing is the animal factor.

ADD: IM NOT PREGGERS CHRIST! Morning sickness is called that for a reason!
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would move.

The only tough part is finding pet friendly places.

Where are you looking at apartments?
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Renting sucks, especially in NJ. You don't have that many choices. Either you get raped on rent and can't afford the rest of the stuff in your life, or you live in a scumhole and are afraid for you life. Ok, so maybe there's some stuff in between, but not much. I know how you feel...I rented until last year and moved in with my parents so I could save money for a house. It sucks, but I'm 5 minutes from work (as opposed to an hour where I used to live, which saves me time and money). I like not having to deal with weirdos in apartments right now, too. I got freaked out by maintenance people coming in my apartment without permission and finding my belongings moved and my computer used.

I don't know what to tell you other than research some new places and ask people who live there how they like it so you know a little bit about the place before you pull the trigger and uproot yourself for another shitty apartment. You can try the apartment websites, but they don't have much on there. Maybe try www.forrent.com and apartmentguide.com if you haven't already. I came across a ratings site once...apartmentratings.com maybe. Also try going to Coldwell Banker or another agency and check on their private listings. I did that once, but most things were still out of my price range so it didn't work out, but they do exist. The apartment websites only advertise the big complexes, so you don't see the whole market and what's available.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Drifting

Thanks guys, I looked at the classifieds and apartmentsforrent and apartments.com. I found more on craigslist too. I just have to start calling tommorrow. Its an absolute necessity that the animals are welcome.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

just let the dude in thru the window and have kids
Old 07-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Racer

I would start looking for a new place!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:04 PM

buy a gun and sleep comfortably.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Suzuka Master

i would move.

one thing you can do is try to look for apartments that are investment properties. this way, you'll be only dealing w/ the owner of the place and you'll be able to negotiate on the rent a little better.

i actually found my place via craigslist and it's working out perfectly for me. decent rent, no pet fee, close to work etc...
Old 07-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned

what did you expect? You live in Jersey. Move to another state. Any state.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by btsilver
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Ignorance is bliss.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

I've read that Long Branch is getting out of control. I would leave just for the roach problem that is not hygenic at all.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Ignorance is bliss.
prove me wrong.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:33 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

he has got itright

rent a condo

condos generally allow pets

instead of you hating everbody,

evrybody will hate you

put down some roots

if u cant buy now, you might never
so sad to see an old lady renting, complete life failure-no hope.

today you need no downpayment

soon it will be old school where yoooooo put up 20% cash

ok to catch a falling knife now in real esate if you can commit to ten years

the debt gets hammered for more money than the equity. just make sure you got a ten year horizon.

how long u gonna b there, u know better than the mortgage note buyers, so abuse them
Old 07-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Suzuka Master

prove me wrong.
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...7019/index.htm

Would you look whos #1, yeah, Jersey.
Jeresy actually appears twice in the top 10 on that list.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...5s/safest.html
Jersey cities seem to be pretty safe.

Hmm, real shithole Jersey is.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:35 PM
if you only knew...

Originally Posted by CL Platano
I've read that Long Branch is getting out of control. I would leave just for the roach problem that is not hygenic at all.
I remember being in Long Branch back in the '90's when the "economically depressed" (read ghetto) towns were offering 3% sales tax instead of the usual 6%. Places like Newark, Paterson and Jersey City(and Long Branch) were among the "honorees." When I drove into town and saw the look of the place - well, I was glad I had a weapon on me. Funny thing, though, you cross the border to the next town (along the beach I think it's Deal), and there are like these ridiculously expensive houses ("Crazy" Eddie Antar lived nearby).
Old 07-26-2006, 11:36 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Hate to say this but NJ was the nicest place i been to.

90 to 120 min commute of NYC ur golden!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by michiamo
I remember being in Long Branch back in the '90's when the "economically depressed" (read ghetto) towns were offering 3% sales tax instead of the usual 6%. Places like Newark, Paterson and Jersey City(and Long Branch) were among the "honorees." When I drove into town and saw the look of the place - well, I was glad I had a weapon on me. Funny thing, though, you cross the border to the next town (along the beach I think it's Deal), and there are like these ridiculously expensive houses ("Crazy" Eddie Antar lived nearby).
Jersey is like that. 2 towns to my east and your in the ghetto (Irvington, East Orange, Newark) and to my west is one of the most expensive areas in the country (Short Hills). Total of a 10 mile span maybe.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:48 PM
if you only knew...

Jersey is like that. 2 towns to my east and your in the ghetto (Irvington, East Orange, Newark) and to my west is one of the most expensive areas in the country (Short Hills). Total of a 10 mile span maybe.
Yeah, that and houses like I grew up in are like $1M+ and taxes are 15,000/yr. I'd have no furniture and an empty refrigerator! Other than the cold, NJ was a great place to grow up, anything you wanted to do was close by.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...7019/index.htm

Would you look whos #1, yeah, Jersey.
Jeresy actually appears twice in the top 10 on that list.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...5s/safest.html
Jersey cities seem to be pretty safe.

Hmm, real shithole Jersey is.
Yeah, if you have money I'm sure there's nice places to live in Jersey. Otherwise....
Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, if you have money I'm sure there's nice places to live in Jersey. Otherwise....
Did you click on any of the info for the cities? Median house for just about all of them is in the 300k range. Thats not outraguous for a home.

This is worthless. Even with the facts right in front of you, you Jersey haters still have some comment to make.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

nj is quite nice

they have a national marketing campaign to make it look lousy
Old 07-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Banned

Did you click on any of the info for the cities? Median house for just about all of them is in the 300k range. Thats not outraguous for a home.

This is worthless. Even with the facts right in front of you, you Jersey haters still have some comment to make.
sorry not a jersey hater, but for 1 person looking for a Cheap apartment, The Choices are limited. Plus, 300k for median is still alot of money.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're in my area...

Did you try out Middletown, Hazlet, Matawan, Keyport?

Try and stay away from Long Branch and some parts of Eatontown.

Definately where u had some peeping Tom.. What town was this in?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerZDevil
You're in my area...

Did you try out Middletown, Hazlet, Matawan, Keyport?

Try and stay away from Long Branch and some parts of Eatontown.

Definately where u had some peeping Tom.. What town was this in?

Im in Eatontown, I was very comfortable up until the other night. I live in a big apartment complex, with lots of people, kids, etc. I go to school at Monmouth, for another semester, and then im done. There's no way in hell i would ever move home. There are some nice places in Long Branch, my friend lives in a apartment complex on the beach, but they don't allow any pets. I am thinking about going a bit farther north, like in that area. I just have so many friends down here that are close. I really don't want to move farther away. Long Branch and Asbury Park are still 3% sales tax lol. The roaches were taken care of and didn't seem like that big of a deal, but now, when you add in all the other "problems" that i've had, its been out of control.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:16 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,119 Likes on 803 Posts
Anywhere near the Garden State Parkway is a no no. Move.

Quick Reply: apartment advice