Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Working out again - question

Old 05-23-2007 | 07:45 AM
eve
Burning Brakes

Question Working out again - question

After almost a year (I know, I know), I’m finally back in the gym. And it feels GREAT! My goal is to lose few pounds and tone up a bit.

Here is my question – I’ve been doing mostly cardio (hour or so on elliptical or treadmill; 3-4 times/week). Since I would like to lose some weight first, when should I add weights training? Should I combine cardio and weights now or should I concentrate on cardio and add weights later? What will have the best result?

Additionally, this is for people who work too many hours - how do you find time to work out? Do you work out before or after work? It's not unusual for me to work 60 hours/week and sometimes going to the gym is the last thing I want to do. However, I've noticed that the more I stick to my schedule, the more I want to work out...

Thanks all!
Old 05-23-2007 | 08:39 AM
Earth-bound misfit

I work crazy hours certain times of year, and think the time of day really depends on your individual preferences & circadian rhythm. Personally, I prefer to exercise after work, even when it's a little late. I'm already in desperate need of a shower when I get home, so I may as well sweat a little first.

As to the weights - just remember that muscle mass burns calories. You may not want to but on the extra weight, but if you keep the big picture in mind, you'll realize that your metabolism can only be improved by adding in some strength training. Not to mention, you'll feel great.

Old 05-23-2007 | 08:55 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Best bet is to hit the gym early - before work. I would do weights and cardio concurrently. No need to put either off. If you do both on the same day, do weights first. Then when you hit the machines, you'll burn calories big time.

Try to modify your diet to take in more lean protein, like white meat chicken, etc. Even though you'll be losing fat, you can still put on some muscle too. Good luck ^
Old 05-23-2007 | 10:12 AM
Instructor

Since you are going to the gym, have someone show you a plyometrics routine. You will only need to do this for 10-15 minutes a day for your cardio instead of an hour (believe me, its hard to do it for anymore than 10-15 minutes!). The pounds will fly off of you. Ive been watching 2 of my friends do this for a couple months now and they have lost more weight in that time period than in the last 6 months using the machines.
Old 05-30-2007 | 11:42 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

HIIT plyometrics combined with cardio will literally melt fat off you.

you can do that for 5-6 weeks to condition your body to exercise. then you can keep on doing cardio but switch from plyometrics to heavier "regular" weight training to gain more strenght and mass if desired.

btw as it was mentionned muscles burn more calories and they do so for up to 36 hours after a workout so weight training can definitly help with fat loss.